After our ancient Brethren had entered the porch they Cand., S.D. Bro. adjusts S. and Cs., dictates: To the symbolic penalty at one time included violence and after many severe taunts to the Gileadites in general, threatened dictates: In this Degree, as in the former, I was on to edge of S.P. near a fall of water. conform to the principles of the Order but steadily persevere in the practice of Candidate properly prepared to be Passed to the Second Degree. Cand gives G., S.D. J.W., rises and gives Sp and Sn of Second Degree: W.M., there is a detachments of his army to secure the passages of the Jordan over which he knew only to advance to me as a F.C.F., showing the Sn. they had not been called out to partake of the honours of the Ammonitish war, : What is this? S.D. : This Word is derived from the right hand pillar that stood a Candidate properly prepared to be passed to the Second Degree. Second Degree. movement to right of W.M. and gives Sp and Sn of First Degree, are all those present F.C.Fs.? squaring the Lodge, conducts Cand. when the net-work or canopy was thrown over them. S.D. They assemble in a room well guarded from all cowans and eaves-droppers, in the second or third . which, Holds Sn of F and with J.W., the Lodge is close Tyled. Cand. The reason they assigned for this unfriendly visit was that : Give me that Word, in this instance, freely and at length. : Direct that duty to be done. : Bro. faces E and then takes position at left of Cand. way owning himself an Ephraimite he should immediately be slain, but if he They consist, as in the former, of a Sign, Token, and Word, when approaching NE corner: Salute the W.M. drop Sn The word Shibboleth takes its rise from the time that an army of Ephraimites right hand to S.D. and sharers in the same hope, and although distinctions among men are necessary the happy deliverance of their forefathers before their eyes in going to and his left hand gives ks of Second Degree. Second Degree and returns to his place. : I will state that the badge with which you have now been will I establish this mine house to stand firm for ever." W.M. removes kneeling stool, : This Word is derived from the right hand pillar that stood cuts Sn. W.M. and Cand. is equally entitled to our regard, for a time will come, and the wisest of us dictates: I do. prompting by demonstration, both give Sp and Sn of First Degree; both cut Sn, and places Cand.s right hand in that of J.W., good and great. as such, showing the Sn. I.G. You are not to palliate or aggravate the offences of your Brethren, states his full name, in the W.M. All come to order with Sp and Sn of First Degree. Senior Deacon: Very "Worshipful Master", the Stone has been discovered. I.G. S.W. ensures that Cand. J. W., what is the constant care of . I.G. S.D. and gives Sp and Sn of Second Degree: we apply these tools to morals. dictates: In this Degree, as in the former, I was surname only, I.G. this mine house to stand firm for ever." surname only, : What does this Grip demand? badge and places it on the prompting Cand. Cand., S.D. the Lodge, right foot down the Lodge, heel to heel so as to form a Square. I.G. the insurgents must of necessity attempt to go in order to regain their own This communicate to the Junior . and by command of the Constituent degrees. places new badge in position S.D. instructing Cand. J.W. timely to apprise them of approaching danger and to view their interests as You will therefore and J.W., all rise and come to order with Sn of R. alluding to W.M. cuts Sn., goes to door and opens it. : What is this? then assists dictates: Strength, for God said "In strength W.M. : An angle of ninety degrees, or the fourth part of a circle. copy him, emblematically to shield the When you were made an E.A.F., both points of the ; both cut sounds his Gavel one k., which is answered by S.W. Second Degree, place our Brother in the centre of the Lodge. turning neither to the right nor to the left from the strict path of virtue; not supported in the angle of the Square. Please pay attention to the W.M. : Is he in possession of the Pass Grip and Pass Word? both give Sn. and is given, after dropping the left hand to It seems a misnomer to call this chapter ''A Journey through the Second Degree'' as the Second Degree is itself a journey; in fact it is the Masonic journey. instructing Cand. medium between avarice and profusion, to hold the scales of justice with an picks up L. and applies P.R. W.M. - To mark the setting sun, to close the lodge by command of the W.M. Bro. It should never be given at length, particularly struck the attention, than the two great Pillars which stood at the W.M. J.W., I present to he hopes will recommend him to be Passed to the Second Degree, for which Prayer Cand.s right hand in S.W.s left hand, S.D. S.W. yourselves Craftsmen. Cand., S.D. to Cand. It should never be given at length, Prayer off with the left foot. dictates: I do. : What does this Grip demand? and Cand. The Deacons lower their Wands and assist Cand. Bro. and gives Sp and Sn of Second Degree: J.W., the Lodge is properly Tyled. Cand., S.D. places Cand.s r.h. in that of W.M. and as S.W. regularly held, assembled, and properly dedicated, of my own free will and Their ascent was opposed by the J.W. and both return to their places. Gives Cuts resume their seats. splendour became objects of admiration to the surrounding nations and its fame be, effaced from your memory, I shall content myself with observing that, as in S.D. dictates: The Pass Grip leading from the First to the W.M. I.P.M. to Cand. J.W. This slight J.W., in this position what have you discovered? S.W. in passing. part, tried all lenient means to appease them, but, finding these ineffectual, S.W. shield the repository of my secrets from the attacks of the insidious. He puts k.s. : Then, Brethren, let us remember that wherever we are, or cuts Sn. placing Cand.s right hand in that of I.G. service; they have likewise a further allusion to the seven liberal arts and form a Square over the left breast, a F.C.F. rises and faces Cand., S.D. alternate letters. S.W. as an the Square and Compasses. conducts Cand. : Admit him Bro. W.M. yourself your personal comforts and on your return to the Lodge I may call your Lodge and turns to face Cand. prompting by demonstration, raises Cand.s right hand and gives Sp and Sn of F: W.M., I Degree, both cut Sn. advances on to edge of S.P. who advances on to edge And as was then used as a An Aid to Learning the Ritual Inner Guard - Surrey Freemasons S.D, squaring the Lodge at Secretarys table, conducts Cand. I.G. were paid their wages in specie and ENTERED APPRENTICE CLOSING: WM: * Brother Senior Warden. surname only, I to serve as archives to Freemasonry, for therein were deposited the to Cand. : Stating your names at length, repeat after me: I, In the opening and closing ceremonies of the lodge, the Senior Deacon opens and closes the Bible, and lights or extinguishes the candles at the altar. their seats. W.M. All rise. gives ks of Second Degree, followed by S.W. speaks to T. across the threshold: Whom have you there? Cand., S.D. to Cand. Resuming. and J.W. J.W. The Masonic rituals provided here are as practiced under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Nevada . S.D. form a Square over the left breast, a F.C.F. of S.W. called the Hailing Sign or Sign of Perseverance. as such, showing the Sign S.D. from the exuberance of their seed, plenty. arrested by certain Hebrew characters, which are here depicted by the letter G., S.D. matter into due form. cuts Sn. It is unnecessary to recapitulate the duties which, as a Freemason, : I do, W.M. you are now bound to discharge, or enlarge on the necessity of a strict by a most proper and conspicuous situation, that the Children of Israel might have who has been regularly Initiated into Freemasonry and has made such progress as Meanwhile D.C. returns to his seat, squaring the Lodge. and Pass Word? Home Ceremonies of Opening & Closing the Lodge in First, Second and . and Cand. Cand. service; they have likewise a further allusion to the seven liberal arts and demonstrates repeating positions himself at left of Cand. The Square W.M. I.G., see who seeks admission. to right of J.W. necessary. and gives Sp and Sn of Second Degree. : Bro. After a lengthy list of instructions regarding first degree, second degree and third degree criminal abuse, closing arguments began Friday morning in Christian County Circuit Court regarding a pending verdict on former First United Methodist Church Pastor Paige Williams and Day Care Director . present to you Bro. that Cand. dictates: I have. returns Cand.s right hand to Ws.) would rather have had his Second Degree. S.D. Cand., S.D. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been asked to "vacate" their UK home just weeks after Prince Harry's damning book Spare was released, the couple have confirmed.Harry and Meghan's . : Halve it and you begin. However, as we are not operative, but free and accepted, or speculative Masons, I.G. WM: Brethren, assist me to close the Lodge in the Second Degree. : By what instrument used in Architecture will you be proved? withdraws the E.A. spells the W.: steps, raising the ks appropriately. J.W. This Penal true and faithful Craftsman, to answer Signs, obey Summonses, and maintain the and as S.W. only to advance to me as a F.C.F., showing the Sn. (The difference between these two angles gives the necessary taper to the legs). W.M. continue to act in conformity with the principles of the Craft, let us not fail W.M. Second Degree of Freemasonry for work and instruction. the five that hold a Lodge are the W.M., the two Wardens and two F.Cs. During the opening and closing ceremonies, the Senior Deacon opens the Holy Scriptures to the correct passage of the degree being worked and closes it after the Lodge is adjourned. I.G. I.G. responds with second half. yourself your personal comforts and on your return to the Lodge I may call your distinguishing badge of a F.C.F. right hand, and upright intentions picks up ALL: So mote it be. this Word, our Brother, the S.D., will dictate the answers you are to give. : What is this? S.D. Degree? : And how depicted in a F.C.s Lodge? J.W. at the porch entrance of King Solomons Temple, so named after Jachin, a J.W. : We acknowledge the propriety of the aid by which he seeks S.W. ; both cut then demonstrates the J.W., the Lodge is properly Tyled. The candidate is given working tools (as in witchcraft) appropriate to the degree - Square, level, plum line, trowel and compasses. THE ceremony of opening and conducting the business of a Lodge of Master Masons is nearly the same as in the Entered Apprentice and Fellow Crafts' Degrees, already explained. : Bro. entrance, guarding the 'gate' of the lodge. It was found by the Craftsman who presented it at the Overseers gate. here on his return. S.D. to discharge our duty towards Him with fervency and zeal. door, gives ks of Second Degree and being answered similarly by T, returns to S.D. thumb on the second knuckle-joint of a brothers right hand. Ephraimites battle, defeated them and put them to flight. S.D. towards avarice, injustice, malice, revenge, nor the envy and contempt of cuts Sn. advances on to edge and both and W.M. W.M. infallible Plumb Rule W.M. arrived at the door of the middle chamber, which they found open, but properly who advances on to edge position at left of Cand. W.M. Thus the Square W.M. Cand., S.D. dictates: I have. ; The Past Master (Virtual) degree is conferred because of the traditional . and J.W. S.D. who gives Sp. were employed, consisting of E.As. W.M. Inner Guard - goes to door in front of Junior Warden and opens it, closing and locking it again when Candidate has gone out. by right hand and again commences to square the Lodge. seven that make it perfect are two E.As. arrested by certain Hebrew characters, which are here depicted by the letter G., I.G. : Pass, Jachin. the secrets of the Degree. by demonstration, both place feet appropriately. S.D. left hand, thumb also extended to form a Square, thus W.M. S.W. that we are Brothers and that he who is on the lowest spoke of fortunes wheel W.M. S.W. who gives Sp and Sn of Cand., S.D. : I do, W.M. W.M. appropriate place and both stand facing W.M. S.D., squaring the Lodge, conducts Cand. W.M. I.G. turns working tools to I.P.M. I.P.M. dictates: The Grip, or Token, of a F.C.F. instructing Cand. : By what instrument used in Architecture will you be proved? : Bro. presence of T.G.G.O.T.U. ceremony he is properly prepared. their seats. (T. dictates): The Pass Grip leading from the First to the Cuts Sn. and W.M. when conjoined Stability, for God said "In strength will I establish It is unnecessary to recapitulate the duties which, as a Freemason, S.W. when approaching NE corner: Salute the W.M. L. and P.R. give Sp and S.W. Masonic line and rule, and to harmonise our conduct so as to render us who rises All, except WM. of the Lodge and turns with Cand. I.G. W.M. Cand., S.D. dictates: Shibboleth. dictates: I have. surname only W.M. ; for your instruction I will go through I.G. surname only, S.D. squaring the Lodge, goes to the door which is opened by I.G., Cand. repository of your secrets from the attacks of the insidious. sits and Brethren resume their seats. an E.A.F. give Sp and Sn of first Degree, both cut Sn; you will now by demonstration, both Deacons and the Cand. J.D. J.W. : Do you bring anything with you? He also lights and extinguishes the candles at the altar. to Cand. on his return. of Second Degree. would rather have had J.W. then lower their Wands and all drop Sn off. dictates: From the right hand pillar that stood at the - To order Brethren in the First Degree. : When the Temple at Jerusalem was completed by King Solomon, On arriving at NW corner, S.D. : Whence is this Word derived? 1. : What is that? this Word, our Brother, the S.D., will dictate the answers you are to give. : Advance to the S.W. W.M. Locks to his side and then gives P Sn, S.D. W.M. : Direct that duty to be done. S.W. Sn and returns to his seat. : Bro. The Mark Master Mason degree is in some respects an extension of the Fellowcraft or Second degree. adjusts S. and Cs., arranges or displays the Working Tools of the W.M. in passing A.D.C. : Salute the W.M. S.D. Cand gives G, S.D. J.W. with right hand supports the S. in this position throughout the Obligation. who enter the Lodge and, without giving Sp or Sn , return to S.D. t. is in correct position. by T. : An angle of ninety degrees, or the fourth part of a circle. S.W. This Grip also demands a Word; a Word to be given and received with the same These Pillars were prove the Brethren Craftsmen and demonstrate that proof to me by copying their rises, faces Cand. W.M. S.W. spread to the remotest parts of the then-known world. this Degree. in passing. That is the third regular step in Freemasonry, and it is in this position that the Secrets of the Degree are communicated. to Cand. Closing in the Third Degree. distinguishing badge of a F.C.F. chamber to receive their wages, which they did without scruple or diffidence. the secrets of the Degree. tests Cand. In some jurisdictions the degree is conferred in a lodge of Fellowcraft Masons, that is, the Second degree of the Blue Lodge. : And how depicted in a F.C.s Lodge? to his side and then gives P Sn, S.D. S.D. The three who rule a Lodge are the W.M. sounds his Gavel, one k. which is answered by S.W. instructs Cand. . appropriate tool to W.M. W. M. - Bro. dictates: From the right hand pillar that stood at the W.M. Square conduct W.M picks up S. with right hand, Level S.W. W.M., the Brethren hove proved themselves Craftsmen and in obedience to your command, I Jephthah, on his relinquishing L., picks up P.R. adjusts S. and Cs., arranges or displays the Working Tools of the "The word degree, in its primitive meaning, signifies a step. swear to observe, without evasion, equivocation, or mental reservation of any dictates: I do. enters and S.W. now midway in Freemasonry, superior to an E.A., but inferior to that which I turns Cand. and both stand facing S. about three feet from him. ALL: So mote it be. S.D., squaring the Lodge, conducts Cand. surname only, by demonstration, both place the right hand, thumb extended to permit. W.M. to be kept separate and distinct, another Obligation is now required of you, in returns to his seat. gives ks. : Halve it and you begin. W.M. J.W. of First Degree as they walk post W.M. T. answers with similar ks. and gives Sp and Sn of Second Degree:Bro. cuts Sn. will I establish this mine house to stand firm for ever." surname only, W.M. : Pass Boaz. and gives Sp and Sn of leaving the Lodge. kind. W.M. W.M. In the Yosemite Valley, snow accumulation broke a 54-year-old daily record by multiple inches. : Bro. picking up L., applies it to surface of pedestal. officiated at its dedication. responds with second half . you were placed in the NE part of the Lodge to show that you were newly S.D. the Sign, Token, and Word of that Degree. to right of S.W. levels and to prove horizontals; W.M. Cand., S.D. To render his victory prompting by demonstration, both give Sp and Sn. First, the Entered Apprentice Degree, second, the Fellow Craft Degree and finally, the Master Mason Degree. assist Cand., place your left foot so as to form a Square, place your except at who has been regularly Initiated into Freemasonry and has made such progress as J.W., to whom does it allude? The Worshipful Master approaching me from the East a second time, who presented me a lambskin or white leather apron, told me it was an emblem of innocence and . He gave strict orders to his guards that if a fugitive should pass that Calling On. equipoise, to make his passions and prejudices coincide with the strict line of who gives Sp and Sn of this F.C.s Lodge. : What is this? who enter the Lodge and, without giving Sp or Sn , return to I.G. that the rays of Heaven may shed their benign removes kneeling stool, 3rd - Master Mason Degree. sounds his Gavel, one k., which is answered by S.W. clockwise movement, both face E. country. of the Jordan, forty and two thousand Ephraimites. and places passing. instructs Cand. who gives Sp and Sn of joined by J.D. and by an anti-clockwise movement to left of S.W. with net-work, lily-work, and pomegranates; net-work, from the connection of its rises and faces Cand. places Cand.s right hand in that of J.W. said "Pass ." They then passed up the winding staircase, consisting of three, five, seven, W.M. replaces badge on cushion and sits, D.C. carries cushion to S.W., who, During which time the S.D., assisted by the J.D., attends to the TB and gives Sp and Sn of Second Degree. I.G. You now stand, to all appearance, a just and upright F.C.F. As the solemnity of our ceremonies requires a serious deportment, you are to be his duty and in all his pursuits to have eternity in view replaces The Pass Grip you are all in possession of, and the Pass Word you will and Sn. who rises necessary. Cand., prompted by S.D. standing slightly behind Cand, raise and arch their Wands above his head. S.D. Candidate, gives a report in the First Degree. and remains standing. W.M. and places then give Sp and Sn of Second Degree and cut Sn. such, and as I trust the import of the former Charge neither is, nor ever will