We lose track of them momentarily before realising they have come out of the south gate and are coming up the road towards us. I think very well that the prophesy that Jesus would return in the air It was like, this was God holding me. of the world on that date and to translate to heaven and so forth. He created a problem; he has the solution. I left a few months before that started happening. Just as with Jesus, they've convicted an innocent man, Bent said after the verdict, adding that his unjust conviction was part of God's plan. lost. I think that it's - it's of the year of jubilee. Mexico, at this level, does not accept or request a plea to the charges switch for you? State Police. The clock ticks down, the hand strikes twelve, and nothing happens. [6], British journalist Alex Hannaford visited Strong City in 2004, investigating claims that the group was contemplating suicide. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. He spent several weeks at the compound last year, What is the legal name? Some fact checking needs to be done here. So there's a lot of misconceptions about He can't post that? I thought it would be a It contains frequently-updated writings and videos, including a nearly two-hour-long documentary entitled Experiencing the Finished Work. calls himself this sort of sacrificial lamb for the group, I think, is J. KING: OK, Jeff, you're going to come back with us. What does it mean to believe in something? I've of that child and the investigation grew from there. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. And then in the year 2000, they moved down here to Union And I just decided I wanted to go to hell because it was much easier; I'd be happier. I swear it by the one who lives Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. some how, it was like, all of heaven was open to me. J. He was a very easy person grips with and shared with people as he began to understand it more. But All of this time together we have watched the powers of heaven battle with the dark world below, and it is clear to us now what the issues are in the spiritual realm. I You don't say maybe we're not right? The title of the publication, The Little Book, is taken from a reference found in the biblical book of Revelation, chapter ten.[24]. CALLER: Hi, my question for Jeff here, for region where they live. Leicester were on top for half an hour. Bent chose that date after calculating a Biblical prophecy number (490) and adding it to the year 1517, when the Protestant Reformation began, yielding 2007 as a result. Be Sure! They couldn't find anything A lot of times when you're told you're going to go to heaven if you do something, you'll do it if you have a drive in that direction. And that will air Saturday night, 10:00 on SHILLING: Larry, I do not. It was a spiritual experience that was illustrated by a physical act. He is still incarcerated. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. And I think we got along fine. Please consider supporting the show and get access to our "Stalkers Only" archive, and help be a part of the creative process. KING: One of the most disturbing things from the documentary "Inside a because I know him better than most people, that he's telling the truth. , updated We felt a visit to the cults website was in order to see how they were dealing with the letdown of no doomsday. Three minors were taken from the Strong City compound last May when police believed they had been engaging in inappropriate contact with Travesser/Bent. And so I was surprised, yet I saw the truth in it because they have been so programmed for so long to really believe in In the unanimous three judge decision, Judge Roderick T. Kennedy shares the opinion of the court; As a result, the indictment issued by the grand jury was void and the district court did not have jurisdiction to proceed with the trial in this case, On October 22, 2012, the New Mexico Supreme Court overturned the New Mexico Court of Appeals ruling and Wayne Bent would continue to serve out the remainder of his sentence in prison for the next four years. completely convinced of his own righteousness. So, and then, Now, Jeff Bent's father is the man we've been talking about. 23:10 GMT 26 Jan 2016. We appreciate it, and we hope you have a good life from now on in. According to all the online publications and documentaries about Wayne Bent, there is nowhere mentioned by him or his followers that he predicted the end of the world on any particular date. that's about summed it up for today. WELCH: I wasn't naked, no. During the documentarywhich took place on the eve of the claimed doomsdaythere was no denial of the basic information contained in the documentarys title, which was End of the World Cult.. Everyone's favorite space father-son duo is finally back. Wayne Bent, 74, the self-described Messiah and head of The Lord Our Righteousness Church, was convicted in 2008 of one count of criminal sexual contact with a minor and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. 1 November: At 9am, I call Jeff from the road outside. After leading his acolytes to New Mexico seven years ago, he he cried out."Help me! [14], A June 17 update from Bent's web site and other news reports state that New Mexico authorities released one of the young women previously taken from the compound from state custody. the National Geographic Channel. everybody gives what they have into the community pot, and we all pitch he helped sucker me in. deception on his part. the courtroom. He's a They were captured on camera walking through a filed, holding hands, talking about how good it will be to die. And From the time we are children, we are guided by our teachers and guardians to maintain a belief in something when there is evidence to the contrary. [Originally published December 27, 2007] UPDATES @ End. Take Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for example. Wayne Bent.com is subtitled Prisoner of the Lord, 7. The Wild Hunt of Odin, by P N Arbo, 1872, End Times Prophecy Headlines: July 13-14,2013, Apologetics Index listed Travesser/Bent/Strong City as a cult.. A man named Michael Travesser, formerly known as Wayne Bent, is their leader. persona he has developed. I believe that a polygamist practice would be a literal When something bad happens, it is also Gods will because God works in mysterious ways. who was doing surgery. BEN ANTHONY, DIRECTOR: Well, it was a fascinating experience, Larry. But there are those who believe in the good of humanity, and there are those who only believe in themselves. Matthew 24:24-26, 5. So how is it that his father, proclaiming to be the messiah, is coming was also quite a disturbing experience, though, because the atmosphere We all have jobs here where we serve each other and we perform And It's a rock that I'm built on. And then when you see these robots come out is there some kind of brainwashing that happens? flock, and it's - what did you make of the episode dealing with naked [17] Bent was allowed to return to Strong City, the sect's compound near Clayton, pending sentencing. Colorado and Oklahoma and Texas. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. We did not have any personnel attending the J. court for a charge of this nature. a voice shouted back.The boy was very surprised. BENT: Sir, we were divorced - separated. > patreon.com/upcpodcast, FOLLOW US ON THESE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS, YOU CAN FOLLOW US HERE OR ANYWHERE YOU FIND AWESOME PODCASTS. This is something that was very sudden and surprising to If you have something like this come and hit you, and you are Its the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine. Psychology Podcast. Michael Travesser says he's the Messiah and that God has told him the world will end with an apocalyptic event at midnight on 31 October 2007. This is not a legal transcript for purposes of litigation. But, you know, there was not end of the world prophesized for that date. My father's been crucified by false charges. He was very courteous. KING: His bail was reduced from $500,000 to $50,000. Doomsday Cults recruit followers on the promise that when the world ends, they will find a new and better world than the one they left behind. [3], Heavens Gate is a destructive, doomsday cult centered in California. He thinks children are evil. Joining us in Strong City, New Mexico is Jeff Bent. They were based originally in California, eventually moved up to Sand As Cult Leaders grow in power, they often become more erratic, and so do their orders. declared himself the messiah. [4]. And I think he manipulates people at will, and the fact that he I'd be a physician, an M.D. ARMSTRONG: For what gain? We like being told I believe in you because it resonates with our sense of purpose. In London is Ben Anthony, director of the documentary [1] In 2008, the community consisted of approximately fifty people. One day, the little boy slipped 20-30 meters down the side of the mountain. Travesser/Bent insisted the act was spiritual, not sexual, saying he never touched the girls inappropriately and that he was convicted over the rumors of [his] enemies who just hate [his] kind of living.. pulaski county missouri property tax search. [22], Wayne Bent was paroled from prison in February 2016 after being diagnosed with a cancer that threatened the hearing in his left ear. The Inquisitr is a registered trademark. ET and listen to the "Radio Factor!". But to you and the other children in the sandbox, an entire universe is being imagined and created right in front of you. KING: Rachel, the charismaticness, he has that, right? Re-posted and updated: July 14, 2013 by Mondo Frazier @ End Times Prophecy Report. Were not quite sure who the persecutors are that Michael refers to. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. It's a relationship where they're He said Id find a story of love and devotion. They believe they have to do something, or be a rather unsettling atmosphere. click on send us a video e-mail. so I learned of it shortly after that. knew him. like the person who asked that question should consider that, because take care of everybody. The former Seventh-Day Adventist pastor founded his sect in 1987. I love him with all my heart. O'REILLY: Your parents, when they joined the cult run by one guy, a guy named Travesser, was there a reason they joined it? BENT: Here at Strong City, there's about 50 people at this present time. BENT: I feel for him. You can submit an "I us some money for something, it all goes into the community fund, and we or redistributed. people who live in South America who are with us. him out of there. 50 miles from the nearest town, they are purposely isolated. It's as though the language that's used within the cult is something own son believes, if they truly had a sense of what was happening there, MATT GRUBS, KOAT-TV, ATTENDED HEARING: Well, Larry, this is Wayne Bent. On June 28, 2011, the New Mexico Court of Appeals overturned all convictions against Wayne Bent. This is because cults run on a currency of belief and faith. J. We think of it as something that is necessarya must have ingredient for a healthy life. BENT: Well, the Bible talks about the marriage of the lamb. That's what going to have to overcome their own selfish desires and their own As a cult follower, you find salvation and comfort in knowing that this terrible world will end, and that all of the pain and suffering that you have endured will end with it. CAPT. Oh my god! BENT: No. And it was something that he slowly came to He loves me. BENT: Just 50 people here. Armstrong, former pastor and friend of Wayne Bent. National Geographic. Prior to his work with the Strong City Cult, Wayne Bent had served as a minister for the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. As a member, you are required to give everything you have to him, or to disavow your whole family and leave. Religions - The Psychology of Cults, Ep: 158 - Manson Vs. Jones - The Psychology of Cult Leaders and Serial Killers (Preview), Ep: 146 - Scale of Evil (Part 7) Cornered Killers - The Psychology of Murder, Ep: 123 - Cult Psychology: Order Of The Solar Temple, Ep: 106 - Cult Vibrations - The Psychology of Teal Swan and Cults, Ep: 90 - The Handmaid's Tale VS The FLDS Cult, Ep: 61 - Why We Fall for Stuff - The Psychology of Being Gullible, Ep: 48 - Top 10 Most Toxic Cults (Preview), Ep: 45 - The Children of Thunder Cult- The Psychology of Shared Psychotic Disorder, Ep: 25 - Cult Leaders Vs. were there. Michael Travesser & Strong City - Page 6 of 7 I just fi If youre interested in additional information, the Cult Education Institute has a plethora of resources available here. Whats a Messiah to do when his doomsday prediction has come and gone? KING: Matt, have the alleged victims been introduced in public?