She so symbolized the divided nation, hawks arrayed against her and doves siding with her, that she became a personal target, most recently with allegations about personal involvement in the mistreatment of POWs. quote: I feel sorry for NORTH: She didn't apologize, Alan. Its something very like the worst sort of lovers betrayal, the deep wound that time itself often is powerless to heal. One of the definitions of treason is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Fonda wasnt deterred. Us veterans will never forget or forgive her posing on a North Viet anti-aircraft gun, regardless whatever else she may or may not have done. I have had my say. Its something very like the worst sort of lovers betrayal, the deep wound that time itself often is powerless to heal. The financial elite then move into the vacuum, establish central banks, and issue debt-credit to the devastated populations. And I refused to have them scare me away from being actively against the Vietnam War. Thats all the ground troops were going home. And you were photographed sitting on an anti aircraft gun. On campus, she was pushing her movement to turn U.S. soldiers into pacifists. FONDA: I'm charging the government with genocide, with genocide. HANNITY: All right. JANE FONDA: Well, I didnt like it. I dug in my heels. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, The chance to remake oneself is a universally acknowledged strength of this Republic, and the Republic itself has done it often enough. It is possible that the Vietnamese had it all planned. The 85-year-old Fonda has had a lengthy career as a Hollywood icon that includes her current turn in the film 80 For Brady, an equally long stint as an outspoken liberal, a fitness craze that began in the infancy of home video, and much more. Due to actions and images some people consider unpatriotic or treasonous, she earned Hundreds of Americans had gone to North Vietnam, journalists diplomats, our Secretary of State Ramsey Clark, Vietnam veterans, but I said but a movie star hasnt gone and maybe if I go it will draw more attention, and thats what it did. In 1972, actress Jane Fonda traveled to North Vietnam on an anti-war mission. They hadnt been able to vote on the virtues of the conflict, and they found themselves in mortal peril in the midst of an ugly, painful ordeal that a lot of vocal people back home thought was a criminal enterprise. You will not be surprised to hear that I have bowdlerised the above considerably, removing racial designators and course expressions of various sorts. Again the secret policy of the financiers was: "containment of communism" while disallowing an American victory. North Vietnamese press reported and Fonda later confirmed that she made several radio announcements over the Voice of Vietnam radio to implore U.S. pilots to stop the bombings. They realized that the war was wrong, that we werent wanted there. mode: 'thumbnails-b', If I was Vietnamese, I probably would have tried to do the same thing, you know, but I should not have gone. NORTH: As a matter of fact, no. [2] While criticizing America, she made laudatory comments about the Soviet Union. Of course, she was a Vietnamese. or redistributed. She said It is possible it was a setup, I will never know. She went to tour the countrys dike system, which was rumored to have been intentionally bombed by American forces something the U.S. government to this day forcefully denies. She was young and famous at the time, maybe the Iraqi insurgents could get some of the present crop of empty headed celebrities, Britney Spears perhaps, to pose next to those Muslim mopes in robes and head towels while they aim their weapons. She was dubbed "Hanoi Jane" after traveling to the Communist capital. Free subscription>>, Please consider a donation to help us keep this American treasure alive. I got the main point across. Why are people more angry at Jane Fonda that they are against, say, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon, the people really responsible? The Roger Ailes and Bill OReilly scandals have cast even some old departures in a new light. ED GRUMMETT, USMC: The night before we made the landing at Chu Yuan (ph) we were listening to Hanoi Hannah and how they were going to annihilate us on the beach. No license is granted to the user of this material except for the user's personal or internal use and, in such case, only one copy may be printed, nor shall user use any material for commercial purposes or in any fashion that may infringe upon Fox News Network, L.L.C. In 1972, the Academy Award-winning actress and activist traveled to North Vietnam and was photographed laughing and clapping along with Vietnamese soldiers. Lee said she still loves being a journalist and thatshehas"some really big ideas on how to better serve you in that particular arena" without Fox News. Im not you know, they all went to jail. We have no right to bomb military targets in Vietnam. I know what its supposed to be now. Almost all the messages said we had no business writing about Fonda because she was a traitor. We once published an admiring profile of Benedict Arnoldwhose actions did the nation real damage in a way Fondas fulminations never couldand nobody made a peep. [2] Peter Collier, The Fondas; A Hollywood Dynasty. And I don't NORTH: Well, that's not going to happen. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. One of the times it did, Im happy to say, was with Keith Nolan, the author of several books on the war, most recently Ripcord , a superb account of the 101st Airborne in the conflicts last great battle. Just before that experience, she said the words that continued to play through her head were: All men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. T. Jefferson. Only the bankers know. MacArthur publicly insisted upon victory, infuriating the international banks. MacArthur was denied his request to attack enemy forces massing across the Yalu border in preparation for attack. However, it was a bit too long, and Dr. Shenkman needed it shortened in the interest of time. The chance to remake oneself is a universally acknowledged strength of this Republic, and the Republic itself has done it often enough. I mean, that's like the bank robber saying, "I'm sorry I got caught.". Thousands more were on the way, including Ernie Wallace (ph) and Ed Grummett. Almost all the messages said we had no business writing about Fonda because she was a traitor. We once published an admiring profile of Benedict Arnoldwhose actions did the nation real damage in a way Fondas fulminations never couldand nobody made a peep. As the war raged, the one-time blonde bombshell cut her naturally brown hair short, trading sex appeal for liberal activism and rebranding herself as a political crusader against the war. I am assured it will be taken care of. Even so, the main focus of my essay was whether Jane Fonda participated in war crimes, not whether she was morally culpable for her part as an apologist for the mistreatment of POW's (she was). Her lawsuit started it all: Former Fox host Gretchen Carlson claims Ailes repeatedly sexually harassed her. Fonda traveled to Hanoi, Vietnam, to protest the Vietnam War, but she did not do most of the things the post claims. It all has nothing to do with where I am sitting. Communism is an atheistic system, and even advocating it is a serious offense in my eyes (with or without war crimes participation). Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. I remember one retired lieutenant colonel describing a conversation he had with an angry trooper about the treasonous behavior of Jane Fonda in the midst of the 1968 Tet Offensive. but not for the rest of it. False. Coffee houses. I spent many years its when I made coming home talking to American soldiers, who had been in Vietnam and the things they told me were heartbreaking. Quite the contrary. Heres her explanation, from 2011: I had decided to do the broadcasts because I was so horrified by the bombing of civilian targets and I wanted to speak to U.S. pilots as I had done on so many occasions during my visits to U.S. military bases and at G.I. Colonel, Michelle Malkin (search) actually discovered other quotes that she had said. She said: I have very few regrets. Here it is. Trump Jumps on Kellyanne Conway Divorce To SAVAGELY Tell World He Finds George Conway Extremely Unattractive, Republican Strategist Goes Scorched Earth on CPAC Scam, Rips Professional Grassroots Huckster Wing of the GOP, CPAC Crowd Stands and Cheers as Raging Steve Bannon Vows to Bring Down Fox News: Were Going To Fight You Every Step Of The Way!, Florida Bill Requiring Bloggers to Register with Government Wont Survive Court Challenge, Says UF Law Prof, CPAC Crowd Cheers Wildly as Matt Gaetz Demands Congress Defund Federal Law Enforcement, They Are Lying: Tucker Carlson Reveals Why He Will Air Hidden Surveillance Jan 6th Footage Next Week, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Please Just Shut the Hell Up: Michael Steele Tells Fool Congresswoman She Has No Clue, Former Federal Prosecutor Says Rupert Murdoch Agreed with The Worst Possible Sentence in His Deposition, CNN Anchor Asks Chuck Schumer If Democratic Senators Should Still Go On Fox News In Light of Dominion Revelations, DeSantis Snaps at Reporter When Pressed On What He Would Do Differently From Biden in Ukraine, End This Charade: Tim Robbins Backs Woody Harrelson Calling to End Covid Mandates, De La Soul Lives! Liberals in America's streets "protested" our victories and exulted in our defeats - thus, in patriots' eyes, giving the war a raison d'etre. But literally working hand-in-hand with the enemy to promote their cause to a worldwide audience was not protected by the First Amendment then just as it is not protected now. They held signs that read Forgive? [5]http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp; http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa110399b.htm; http://www.truthminers.com/truth/hanoi_jane.htm; cited on November 24, 2004. Screw you. SEAN HANNITY, CO-HOST: Jane Fonda says she is sorry for some of her actions during the Vietnam War. Yeah, said my stepdaughter, Jill, when I told her about this. By July 1972, when Fonda accepted an invitation to visit North Vietnam, America had been at war overseas and with itself for years. She still does not know what she did wrong. It was the last day of my two week time there. Fonda addresses the media in December 1972 to protest U.S. military involvement in the Vietnam War. The journey of Jane Fonda: Ive always been curious. "Flashpoint Vietnam," the real story about the road to the war. Hows this for a story? The actual allegation took the form of an email citing the alleged experiences of a number of Viet Nam War veterans at the hands of Jane Fonda. Dr. Rockefeller certainly did not defend Communism as a "Jewish" system, since it is the Hebrew Bible that was the basis of our Common Law, and hence much of our Constitutional Order. One showed her applauding North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gunners. and how good she feels in her 70s. Also Read: 'Jane Fonda in Five Acts' Film Review: Doc Explores the Many Lives of the Actress-Activist, She posed on an antiaircraft gun used to shoot down our American pilots. True, by Fondas admission. As Pioneer Rap Trio Suffers Tragic Loss, Long-Awaited Back Catalog is Finally Released, Bret Baiers Interview With FBI Director Shows What A Joke It Is to Pose Him As Foxs Real Journalism Successor to Chris Wallace, Jimmy Kimmel Calls Tucker Carlson Putins Favorite Little Nesting Doll After He Accused Kimmel of Using Foreign Gov. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. In Hanoi, Fonda also met with seven American POWs and later said they asked her to tell their friends and family to support presidential candidate George McGovern; they feared theyd never be freed during a Richard Nixon administration. Heres a transcript of her remarks so you can judge for yourself. The cover called her Ms. The "advisors" assisted inept South Vietnamese in their ongoing war against the North Vietnamese, who also happened to be communists. Please try again later. In July 1972, during the waning days of U.S. military involvement in Vietnam, actress Jane Fonda incurred the enmity of untold thousands of Vietnam veterans and their families (as well as service members for generations to come) when she arrived in Hanoi, North Vietnam, and began a two-week tour of the country. One presumably claimed to have been struck by her, while another claimed to have had his confidence betrayed to his Communist captors. Each of them suggested that they had done at least one interview with Fonda, and individually they were looking into the historical accuracy behind the claims made about Fonda and why she became such a lighting rod for controversy. Pleasant Michigan, where Mary Hersberger (Capital University) and Jerry Kembcke (Holy Cross College) both gave papers on Fonda. COLMES: She did say that she was sorry. CNN anchorChris Wallace grilled Hollywood legend and activist Jane Fonda over her controversial visit to North Vietnam that caused millions to dub her Hanoi Jane, and got a full spectrum response on the subject. Her book just may not make the bestseller Kelly responded with a cannon by bringing up the time Fonda posed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. Fonda was lambasted for her trip to North Vietnam in 1972 during the Vietnam War. OLIVER NORTH, HOST, "WAR STORIES": Actually, she's not really apologizing. CHRIS WALLACE: Who the people in the Nixon administration? They landed two months later on 7 May with the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines. We have no right to attack that country. Heres how we saw the article we ran: It is a survey of the singular career of a woman who both drove and was driven by many of the largest social concerns of her era, and who came to embody some of them. So did Joan Baez and William Sloane Coffin, Noam Chomsky and Pete Seeger, Rennie Davis and Judy Collins. That begs the question, responsible for what? President Lyndon Johnson, Democrat, in a special address to the American public, reported an attack upon a U.S. naval vessel in the Tonkin Gulf by a North Vietnamese torpedo boat. However, the allegation that she abused American POWs is not true. Content and Programming Copyright 2005 Fox News Network, L.L.C. After all, she is an American; surely shell carry the message home to the families that their husband or son is alive. "War Stories," Colonel, we'll be watching this Sunday, 8 p.m. as usual. And I was I was like a limp noodle what I had experienced and what I had seen, I just I wasnt able to resist, they said were gonna take you out here today. WebNevertheless, there are Vietnam veterans out there who served in the war zone before 1969 who are convinced that Jane Fonda was in cahoots with the Commies during their own However, since the majority of the stories cited in the e-mail have no proof behind them, I had to either give the e-mail "thumbs down" or "thumbs up" on the basis of the overall validity. Aristide was an ENEMY of Communism, hence his downfall. She has to be a murderess too. Number two: You've got the POW meeting, where she sits down and holds a press conference for propaganda purposes with these prisoners of war. I have great, great children, talented, smart, and I just didnt know how to do it. There was a real Colonel Carrigan, and he was a POW in Vietnam. No one with half a brain took Jane Fonda seriously then, or for that matter, now. Jane Fonda was always an outspoken opponent of the Vietnam War. William Burkhead, a Democrat from Anne Arundel, said, I wouldnt want to kill her, but I wouldnt mind if you cut her tongue off, according to a Post story. CHRIS WALLACE: So when you say it was a terrible mistake. But the reality of it is, Alan, this is a woman,who I quite frankly feel sorry for. Why has no one been hanged for high treason? Switch to the dark mode that's kinder on your eyes at night time. NORTH (on camera): What did the guys in your squad say about this? If it wasn't I must be missing something. And exocide (ph) and biocide. Meanwhile the mass media suddenly reversed its pro-war policy: denying our beleaguered troops moral support from home. Heres how we saw the article we ran: It is a survey of the singular career of a woman who both drove and was driven by many of the largest social concerns of her era, and who came to embody some of them. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. It evidently didnt. Halyburton told him that the POW's had tried to debunk them even though they regarded Fonda as an unsympathetic figure.