I think your website is the most informative site I have found when researching foot pain. It's one of the hammertoe treatment options used when a defected toe loses all its flexibility and becomes rigid. After surgery, a person will typically feel some pain in the toe and must have someone drive them home. The problem usually begins with a muscle imbalance. I had two surgeries because the first failed (first one was February 28th and second surgery was April 9th) and was able to walk in June. Often elevation will help. Get Plenty of Rest To Promote Healing After Foot or Ankle Surgery. My doctor said that I could drive when I can wear normal shoes. While a certain amount of pain, discomfort, and ankle and foot swelling after surgery are normal, typically, these side effects are short-lived. Then I bought a pair of Merrel shoes (almost bear foot with wide front), those were comfortable. It's important that you approach the recovery phase with an upbeat attitude. Now, since that yanking episode, it hurts to even flex my foot minimally. Everything you need to know about hammer toe. My 4th toe is still swollen and hurts 6 months after hammer toe surgery. Hammertoe surgery is a procedure to correct a deformity in the second, third, or fourth toea bend at the middle joint that makes the toe look like a claw or hammer. During the procedure, the surgeon made an incision (cut) in your skin to expose your toe joint and repair the toe. Traditionally, hammertoe surgery involved incisions alongthe tops of your toes, which allowed your podiatric surgeon to release your affected toe joints and the tight tendons and muscles. When a hammer toe becomes problematic, surgery can be performed to remove part of the bone and release the contracted tendon. If you have a hammertoe or are concerned that a hammertoe is developing,contact us at Nagy Footcarefor effective diagnosis and treatment. I am limping worse than before and I feel quite discouraged. You may even experience tingling or burning as your foot heals. Ugg boots are tolerable . People with a history of bad reactions to general anesthesia or who want the shortest possible recovery time might prefer a local anesthetic. Your doctor may suggest that you elevate for about 30 minutes every two hours or on an as-needed basis if you notice a high amount of swelling or pain after the initial . I received the orthotics Monday afternoon and began wearing them Tuesday. Bunionectomy and Plantar Plate Repair After image taken six weeks post surgery. appropriate medical assistance immediately. What did you do? We link primary sources including studies, scientific references, and statistics within each article and also list them in the resources section at the bottom of our articles. I'm yet another person with an ugly swollen second toe several weeks after surgery..much more swollen than it was weeks ago. Seabrook, NH 03874 Note that there is very minor bruising at this point and swelling is minimal. I interviewed 7 surgeons before settling on my surgeon but it was hard to find references from former bunion patients so I'm just praying everything will work out! I feel SO much better after reading this..thank you. People should discuss the risks and benefits of each option. Patient does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. But I think I couldn't wear them until I was about 10-12 weeks PO. The recovery time following hammer toe surgery can vary depending on the procedure performed. White blood cells in your . Strangely feels good to have someone to snivel with. By Marc Mitnick DPM 2006-2022, foot-pain-explained.com LLC, Researchers are suggesting that the effectiveness of Vitamin D in fighting and preventing disease is predicated on a persons body mass index (BMI). To keep the toe in place, the surgeon may insert temporary pins. At present I wouldn't be able to walk to the end of our street without having to hobble back like I'm 100 years old. How can I minimize the swelling and pain in my toes 7weeks after surgery? Usually the patient feels very good and wants to start doing things. Utilizing some type of compressive taping or strapping method postoperatively can reduce swelling. The surgeon stresses the importance of that. Ice packs to reduce pain and swelling can help with pain and inflammation. Pain and swelling are normal for about a week following surgery. Tomorrow I will try the trainers again. The sooner something is done, the less likely you will be left with residual problems. Thank you ladies! To help further, the foot needs to be kept elevated so that the swelling subsides. Have you tried walking just in socks or barefooted? Pain can be controlled through the use of pain medications dispensed by the surgeon. The isolation, frustrating swelling, lack of activity, plays havoc with my emotions. Types of Hammertoe Surgery. The deformity typically causes calluses or corns to develop on the toe. I'm 64 and a very active cyclist and hiker so this is brutal. Once healing takes place, the pain should continue to decrease until it subsides. Simona, I can so relate! Upgrade to Patient Pro Medical Professional? The surgeon did not instruct me to do any taping or PT or anything, he said I could resume normal activity. Your doctor can prescribe you medication to manage the pain. One of the most effective ways to reduce swelling is to ensure you get enough rest. Swelling accompanied by pain isnt the only thing that can occur after hammertoe surgery. I can't even stand to have a blanket on my foot yet. The most common surgical techniques employed to address the rigid or so-called fixed hammertoe deformities are PIPJ resection arthroplasty or PIPJ arthrodesis. Hammer toe can be unsightly and painful, but it does not always require surgery. Infection whenever there is an incision on your skin, an infection is a possibility. In fact we go no where. When you continue to wear shoes that cramp your toes, your toes rub against the inside of your shoes, creating calluses and corns, which can exacerbate your hammertoe. You may not be able to put weight on the foot during those 6 weeks. Dehiscence means that the wound has healed poorly or breaks open after healing. Do chronic wounds need to be dressed daily? Theresa, I had bunionectomy & hammertoe surgery on one foot. I have an insert in the second toe. all hammertoe , no bunion. In this procedure, the surgeon removes portions of the joint to allow bones to grow together. But I cannot wear even wide, soft sneakers. Bunion Correction Surgery. My big toe doesn't move at all now, & the one next to it is starting to go under neath the big toe, & the next 2 toes are always sore & swollen. My husband and I have readjusted in every way possible! Locations My pin was pulled out at 6 weeks minus one day, my foot was unwrapped and only some steri strips were left at the sites of incisions, that is a few such strips over the former bunion, a few strips at the base of the second toe (formerly hammer toe) and a vertical strip along this second toe. Hammertoes are common in women who wear high heels and children who wear shoes that are too small. There is also the chance of developing a flail toe, one that does not sit flat on the ground. All rights reserved. If the pain in your, Monday Thursday: 9AM 7PM Friday Saturday: 9AM 7PM Sunday: Closed, This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the, How Much Does Hallux Rigidus Surgery Cost, How Long Is the Stem Cell Therapy Recovery Process, Which Is Better, PRP or Stem Cell Therapy, What to Expect After Hallux Rigidus Surgery. Simona I'm at the exact same place in my recovery, 6 weeks from bunion, hammertoe and tailors bunion surgery Oct 30, 2019. Ways To Reduce Fluid Buildup in a Swollen Foot. What to Expect After the Procedure. When I returned with pain he said it looked fine and to give it more time. A good review of the causes of warts and protective measures you can take to prevent developing them. Ice packs to reduce pain and swelling can help with pain and inflammation. It's not always in the same joint or even the same toe. Your surgeon may use an X-ray machine or a thin surgical tool with a camera mounted on the tip to create images of your toes to guide the surgical procedure. According to Podiatry Today, this complication is usually due to the surgeon failing to isolate the exact underlying bio-mechanical cause of the deformity and correct it. Pin came out 2 weeks ago and I can not feel this toe. Services During a lapiplasty, our surgeons use tiny, highly specialized tools to completely rotate your misaligned metatarsal bone. You are lucky to live in So. I'm now 10 months post op and doing well. When I take it off it feels better. A compressive dressing is used until the sutures are removed 10-14 days after surgery. Before, I had the bulky aircast boot for the first 2 weeks. After surgery, it is important to avoid wearing high heels and to get well-fitting shoes that give the toes plenty of room, to lessen the chance for recurrence. It also permanently changes the foots appearance and can be riskier and harder to recover from than some other surgeries. Blood vessels in the area of the cut begin to form clots that keep you from losing too much blood. Or should I check in with my dr. I had hammertoe surgery on 4th toe 14 months ago and I still have swelling. Hammer toes can become painful over time, as the joints lose flexibility. And my toes, the big one and the next are not flexible in the least. We commonly utilize the Silipos or silicone hammertoe pads. Keloids are more likely to occur in African Americans. Sometimes, nerve tissue can become trapped, creating a painful scar called an adhesion. However, there are a couple of things to be wary of: i. Obviously, I cannot do anything like that. Foot Surgery The boot is TOO hard and heavy for me to walk! Recovery doesnt always need to be painful, so some patients dont need medication to deal with the pain. I'm disappointed in the look of my toes. Copyright 2023 Leaf Group Ltd., all rights reserved. Dont push yourself too hard take it easy and slowly increase the distance you walk day after day. Once the incisions heal and the swelling subsides, the patient can gradually apply weight and move. I put antibiotic ointment over that open wound and my husband taped over the wound and all around the foot. A rigid hammer toe means the joint is no longer movable. Keeping the affected leg and foot elevated can reduce swelling. Recovery: As it is true to any given medical procedure, the recovery rate varies from person to person. I had surgery November 21st, bunions on both feet and hammertoe fusion on my second toe, left foot (which actually is more painful and weird feeling than the bunion toes). The foot doctor said to massage it everyday, but after all this time it is still swollen and has a slight hump even though I did all that was said to do after he surgery. Hammertoe surgery was done on both feet, second toe on each foot at the same time. I was told that it will get better and the swelling will go down within time. I will never wear normal trainers again, I'll only buy wide ones. One reason why a person may be hesitant to have rigid hammertoes treated is down to the nature of traditional foot surgery. Your foot will be bandaged, and the doctor will remove it on their own or instruct you how to do it at home. A wound dehiscence refers to a surgery that does not heal or breaks open after healing. Note: The recovery for hammer toe surgeries depends on each visit and may vary. The surgery should not hurt. Appointments 216.444.2606. Is this something good or does it do anything bad to the foot? I'm 69 yet fit and (usually) active and fast moving. I thank you for putting together this incredible website. Osteomyelitis needs to be treated in the hospital with an extended course of intravenous antibiotics, followed by another course of oral antibiotics. In most cases, you should expect recovery to last about six weeks - after this period, pain and swelling should be gone. It's a journey and you need to be patient but it's worth it! Maybe try wearing slides with socks on? Of course, it's reasonable to expect some pain and swelling after the surgery - the procedure requires cutting of your skin, soft tissue, and even bones, so it makes sense that there will be some pain at the surgical site until that heals. Best food forward: Are algae the future of sustainable nutrition? It's easy to do. Scarring since the surgeon has cut the skin, there will be a scar left at the incision site. I asked for it since I read a lot about PT being very helpful. In some cases, a wound dehiscence may occur. You may experience some swelling and bruise in the days following surgery, but this should subside within a few weeks. Yesterday was actually my first trip out to a store to buy a bottle of wine to take to a holiday party. Toe-strengthening exercises, such as picking items up off the floor with the toes, may also help. A person can reduce the symptoms of a flexible hammer toe by avoiding high heels and wearing loose shoes that are at least a half-inch longer than the longest toe. Is it because of the swelling? In this case, the surgeon often uses joint resection or fusion techniques. What to Expect After Hammertoe Surgery? Since you will need to rest a lot the first few days after your foot surgery, elevating your foot will significantly reduce swelling. But once all the swelling goes down,it will look just like it did the day before I hit my toes. In general, it takes approximately 6 weeks to 3 months to fully recover from surgery. Some days the swelling is worst than others. 5. Not what you're looking for? Depending on the type of surgery you had for your hammer toe, these symptoms can last for weeks to months. An orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist can help a person correct the problem before surgery becomes necessary, so anyone experiencing symptoms of hammer toe should speak to their doctor before allowing it to get worse. He was ambulatory right after surgery and back in a shoe at 6 weeks. Some swelling may remain at this point, but a year after your operation healing should be complete and any remaining swelling will have disappeared. Hammer toe is a condition where one of the toes becomes stiff and bent, in a position resembling the shape of a hammer. I'm constantly fighting to stay upbeat. Swelling after an extremity procedure is common. Later that evening,I begin having excruciating pain,redness/warmth on toes/top of foot,and a lot of swelling. It is also known as "Sausage Finger" or "Sausage Toe" because of the localized, painful swelling that causes digits to look like sausages. I had hammertoe surgery just over 2. weeks ago. Now the infected area is drying up but looks unsightly. Swelling and pain are common after hammertoe surgery, up to a point, so if your pain is beyond the expected normal, your surgeon should be made aware of it. respect of any healthcare matters. Why is my toe still swollen after hammertoe surgery? Any medical information published on this website is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional. I take a 7 and purchase a 8 slip on. If youre living with the pain and mobility issues caused by ahammertoe, a minimally invasive surgery to correct your toe deformity may be the best treatment to resolve your symptoms. Is swelling this high up away from the surgery normal. Six months after surgery patients are usually able to return to their normal activity levels, including participating in high impact sports. Any advice would be appreciated. But I am worried that I cannot wear even wide soft athletic shoes. This is not you; after bunion surgery, gentle movement is important, so you must take your time and be realistic. You say you were instructed to flex and bend your foot and toes. If left untreated, hammertoes can become painful and cause mobility issues. Cold therapy lasts 10-20 minutes never leave your ice packs on the leg for longer. The patient should understand that mild-to-moderate swelling persists for many months after surgery and limits footwear options until it has resolved. You can see my right foot is fatter and swollen in comparison to my left. Patients with hammertoes often have other toe problems, such as bunions or corns. It seems that you do go out, have some social life. Hammer toe surgery requires the cutting of skin, nerves, tendon and bone, and as such, pain and swelling are not unexpected following the surgery, according to Premier Podiatry. It's Summer here, the trainers and socks make my feet hot and look ridiculous with little summer dresses. It was very painful but after awhile it went away. It is normal to experience swelling and pain after foot surgery especially if tissue has been cut or removed and bones were moved back into place. After a hammertoe surgery, a mild swelling is normal. How are you now? I am 65 and I do dancing for pleasure and exercise. I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions that have proven helpful to keep the swelling down and END THE PAIN in my toes. Surgery is one of the most effective ways to treat a hammer toe. A good review of how blood sugars can become elevated and the harm that can do. Join in and write your own page! Keep in touch! Of course, resting is an important part of your recovery its crucial after every surgery. I can only wear flip flops right now, my 2 middle toes are sore & swollen & are constantly getting bumped or stubbed. 4-6 weeks: Any surgical pins that were used may be removed. i have an infection in one of my toes. I landed back in hospital, on a drip, for 3 days! In rare cases, the infection can reach the bone, causing a serious infection called osteomyelitis. I still can't drive as my right foot is my braking foot and still too sore. My doctor said no leather due to swelling. Taping the affected toe is also a common treatment method for hammertoe. I HAD hammertoe surgery with a pin 9 weeks ago. Footwear may be advanced as tolerated once the pin is removed (typically 4-6 weeks after surgery). Ice placed just above the surgical site can help keep swelling to a minimum. Dr. Faramarz Hidaji answered. An IV can be used to administer anesthesia or to provide a drug that helps a person feel relaxed while awake. Some medical teams have the option of offering, Having hallux rigidus, also known as a stiff big toe, can make standing or walking difficult because of the pain. PT is recommended by my dr once I can walk but not before. You can set up a home recovery area where you can rest comfortably, and dont forget to prepare those pillows that will help you elevate your leg. The shoe should remain on until seen in the office for your first post-op visit. You will be able to walk immediately after your surgery but should take it easy and keep your foot elevated for three or four days. This comment is to let one know what to expect with hammertoe surgery. It takes a long time to get back to normal. Learn more about some specific conditions that require medical attention, including surgery. Bandages and stitches removed on day 15 (Dec. 6th) and there was an infection beside my right big toe. I am able to get on a running shoe but is so painful after a short time. Surgery was done to stop pain from fractured toe that was still painful after 2 years so I've had this pain for 3 years now. Home An article revealing that older type 2 diabetics have a higher incidence of cancer then non-diabetics. Be well! Elevating the foot can speed up healing and reduce pain. In some cases, the return of the deformity can be a consequence of a technical mistake during surgery. Bunionectomy and Neuroma Removal After image taken 12 weeks post surgery. If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately. Also, as the joints are left intact, your recovery time is much shorter. im 5 weeks ans 1 day. He is a doctor, pediatrician and he thinks it is better for wounds to heal with nothing on. and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified My question is about the boot the surgeon sent home with me to begin wearing - 25% weight increasing to 100% over next 2 weeks. It depends on the type of surgery. Embrace Positivity. You will be able to carry your weight the same day after the procedure, and its recommended that you walk a little bit each day. I don't think that would be helpful for healing, since we've had major work done on our bones and I don't want to ruin that. My Steri strips cam off at about 3 weeks (actually removed by dr. ) and he used Neosporin and gauze with ace bandage until 6 weeks when pin removed. I know it will all be worth it and I have no sign of bunions now at all, which is wonderful! Two months ago, I had hammertoe surgery on all my toes, except the big toe. I was looking forward to my hammertoe pin removal and clearance to begin weight bearing but its just such a battle of swelling and pain. If you are planning on having hammertoe correction, your podiatrist will explain any risks or complications involved with the procedure. Certain risk factors increase the likelihood of developing hammer toe. When a muscle gets too weak, it can put pressure on the tendons of the toe. Then we lived in CT for three years in CT and since 1993 we are in SE Massachusetts. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek Some possible complications are: Pain or swelling Stiffness Nerve damage Infection Weakness in toe or toes Bones may not heal properly Blood clot Hammertoe reoccurrence Recovering From Hammertoe Correction I wonder why it hurts when I leave it on in bed? 2004-2023 Healthline Media UK Ltd, Brighton, UK, a Red Ventures Company. The most common cause of a wound dehiscence is infection. The foot may need to be kept elevated for a few weeks after the surgery. A few weeks after surgery, the doctor will remove any stitches or pins. how ate you now? Andrew had an osteotomy bunionectomy and a hammertoe correction with a plantar plate repair. I went out and purchase a pair of soft cloth shoe in a size bigger. I would like to know.When you have excessive swelling,why do your toes look shorter? It makes it feel so much better all day but I found if I leave it on when I go to bed, the toe aches and I have to take it off. Lapiplasty is minimally invasive, meaning it requires smaller incisions and less trauma to the foot area. I really don't want to go through another surgery on this toe, I had a pin at the end of my toe for three weeks and had to stay off my foot for 3 weeks. Posted Not the most fashionable lol but it's a start!!