When you have a star, he becomes the focus of a variety show, and he has to take himself seriously. Comedian Tom Smothers was so impressed that he hired Bob to write on his show, The Summer Brothers Smothers Show, and later on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. "'This was the best game I ever had! This is the best stunt I've ever done! But then behind the scenes they said what they really felt. "The Super Dave Superbowl of Knowledge Quotes." His voice, in every sense of the word, was unique. It was while working for the Smothers brothers that Bob won an Emmy Award and worked alongside fellow funnyman Steve Martin. Fuji: Oh? Clint Eastwood, I just talk, and I say what I feel, and yet, I'm a nice guy. Einstein was most recently known for his work as Marty Funkhouser on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but I remember him most as Super Dave Osborne. If youve heard anything about stand-up before the 90s, then you know that making it big depended on reaching Johnny Carsons couch on The Tonight Show. All Rights Reserved. In between interviews Osborne, with the help of his partner and promoter, Fuji, performs his classic stunts that never quite seem to go as planned. All of the emotional turns in this scene take place in less than two minutes, and its hard to say which parts were scripted and which were improvised because it all feels so natural. On January 2, 2019, Bob Einstein passed away from cancer at the age of 76 though to our knowledge, the specific type of cancer has never been revealed. TikToks Favorite Celebrity Couple Is Kim Kardashian and Michael Cera. We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. View Source Suggest Edits Memorial Photos Flowers Maintained by: Find a Grave Heres a transcript posted by a fan of a joke he wrote. Weve got romance, breakups, emotionally loaded dumplings this episode has a little bit of everything! Einstein portrayed Super Dave in a Showtime variety series titled Bizarre from 1979 to 1985. Breaking down the contenders in the seasons most unpredictable Oscar race. Collection of top 15 famous quotes about Super Dave Osborne. Host/star Bob Einstein won a CableACE Award for Best Actor In A Comedy Series in 1992. When Einstein came up with the Super Dave character for a 1976 variety show, Van Dyke and Company, Evel Knievels popularity was in full swing. He said his surgery was a success, but he needs time to heal before he can tour again. Super Dave (also known as The Super Dave Osborne Show) was a Canadian comedy variety TV series that aired between 1987-1991 on Showtime in the United States and in censored form on Global in Canada. In the scene above from season six, we see Marty a few days after losing his mother, exercising to distract from his grief. Almost every episode ended with a pre-taped piece where Super Dave either attempted to do a stunt or showcased a new area of "The Super Dave Compound", often a tourist attraction, invention, or athletic training facility. Seinfeld: "And the day I meet you, the bit we're doing is you're going to tell me a joke." Einstein: "The dirtiest joke in the world." Seinfeld: "The great thing was, on the show " Einstein: "They. When I call him Bob, people are very confused, Blye told The New York Times in 1995. Super Dave Osborne, to millions of people, is a real person.. Like a human cartoon, Osborne's bravado would usually get him maimed. Appearance History. You\'ll receive the next newsletter in your inbox. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. But it's almost like we're living in a reality show. Brooks put it this best when he succinctly said, My brother was so funny in this scene.. I used to watch this early on Saturday mornings and loved it and laughed like i would while watching The Simpsons or The Family Guy. 2021-05-21 20:01:02. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/SuperDave. Bob kept the family surname. It's a body Botox and if it ever cracks, I'm in trouble. Fuji: No. - As with most of Super Dave's stunts, his attempts to out-maneuver basketball's best players typically did not end well. I bought the Super Dave Sports & the Ultimate Stuntman Super Dave videos and they are great. Each of them uses the tools in his toolbox to his fullest, with Brooks as a put-upon pushover, and Einstein as a slick and aloof bully. Author: Donald Rumsfeld. In between interviews Osborne, with the help of his partner and promoter, Fuji, performs his classic stunts that never quite seem to go as planned.Battered and abused stuntman Super Dave Osborne gets his own nighttime talk show. Just because it never happened doesnt mean they cant get back together. 2023 Vox Media, LLC. But I do want to pay tribute to Super Dave Osborne (Bob Einstein) after he passed on Wednesday, January 2, 2019. See production, box office & company info, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: Bob Einstein: It's Not So Funny When It's Your Mother. I don't really know what I do. How could you possibly choose just one clip of Marty Funkhouser on Curb Your Enthusiasm? Super Dave (also known as The Super Dave Osborne Show) is a variety show starring and hosted by the fictional character Super Dave Osborne (played by Bob Einstein).It ran from 1987 to 1991 on Showtime in the United States and the Global Television Network in Canada. TVTropes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Again. Movies. A Spin-Off of the sketch show Bizarre, Super Dave was a rare example of a successful Variety Show in this era of North American television, running for 95 episodes over five seasons. Super Dave is billed as an "accomplished" stuntman, though he rarely succeeds when performing his elaborate stunts. Jason Statham and Aubrey Plaza do not seem like a match made in action-comedy-chemistry heaven, but it somehow works. I mean first off, Super Dave has a very good humorous side to him and he is funniest during his serious parts. When Brooks pushes back and tries to only buy one sweat suit instead of two, Einstein pauses, makes a face of disappointment, then responds: I misjudged you. The character made his first appearance on the 1972 TV series The John . Super Dave runs the fictional "Super Dave Compound", a combination resort, theme park, learning center, and anything else needed for the plot-line of a particular episode. Every day in this country, everybody keeps worrying about the deterioration of America, and it's like a big reality show. Last edited on 29 November 2022, at 17:59, "Mike Walden, L.A. Sportscaster and 'Super Dave' Interviewer, Dies at 89", "Super Dave Osborne is up to his old stunts", "Notorious Daredevil Returns in Spike TV's 'Super Dave's Spike-Tacular', https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Super_Dave_Osborne&oldid=1124627980, On several occasions in the late 1990s, Super Dave appeared in commercials for, This page was last edited on 29 November 2022, at 17:59. Albert Brooks Is Living a Charmed Life Despite His Persona on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', The Ad-Libbed Humor of Curb Your Enthusiasm Is About the Spontaneity of the Moment, Martin Short and Steve Martin Are Both Iconic Comedians and Real-Life BFFs. Jerry talks about a time Dave told a dirty joke that made him laugh so hard, they couldn't possibly cut it from the show. Super Dave Osborne: Next time you shoot a bullet at a metal object, be careful of the ricochet. Marty took himself too seriously, loved to follow . Im not perfect. The "stunt" consisted of his standing in a hole in the ground reciting "balloon ball" as a mantra which was supposed to imbue him with the ability to not be harmed by anything, as a mobile pile driver rammed the top of his head. Super Dave Osborne's Guillotine Stunt Watch on Super Dave loved his motorsports too, of a sort. "The Super Dave Superbowl of Knowledge Quotes." So one thing I never want to do is pontificate why this works, why this is funny. Super Dave Osborne: Do you know how close that bullet came to lodging in my knee? Through all of Einsteins work, it was the moments when he had a scene partner a foil, a person to bounce off of, or just a person who would listen to one of his classic jokes that he truly shined. But knowing Bob Einstein's alter ego as Super Dave Osborne, the daredevil with a penchant for failing, it wouldn't have gone very well. Super Dave knew how to set up a bit. Some of the other performers who were featured included Canadian-born classical comedic pianist Mitchell Zeidwig, stuntman Robbie Knievel, ventriloquist Willie Tyler and Lester, ventriloquist Ronn Lucas, ventriloquist Jeff Dunham, sports broadcaster Roy Firestone, juggler Robert Gruenberg, talk show interviewer Larry King, juggler Michel Lauziere, tap dancer Savion Glover, Canadian-born impressionist Andr-Philippe Gagnon, boxer Evander Holyfield, comedian Steve Allen, Canadian-born comic Jenny Jones, talk show host Regis Philbin, and the Smothers Brothers, whose variety show Bob Einstein got his start writing for. We made this little tribute to one of our favorite people ever in the world of comedy, the one and only Bob Einstein. Bob was born in Los Angeles, already knee-deep in the entertainment world. I met him in real life a couple of times and he was funny as hell. A new HBO documentary wonderfully titled The Super Bob Einstein Movie tells his story through the lens and laughs of some of his closest friends in comedy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Super Dave became a cult cable hit in the early 1990senough for Nike to invite Einstein to appear in a series of commercials for Nike Air shoes alongside Reggie Miller and other NBA stars. Up until this point, weve been looking at Einsteins guest appearances on other shows, but here is the ultimate Super Dave clip from his own series of Super Dave shows. | Contact Us Bob Einstein Quotes - BrainyQuote. Its not hard to see Einsteins later characters in Officer Judy in no small part because were looking at a piece of the real Bob Einstein, just in a police uniform. The whole character of Super Dave is a takeoff on people who pontificate. (In one sketch, Super Dave plummets to certain death after his bungee cord snaps. In between interviews Osborne, with the help of his partner and promoter, Fuji, performs his classic stunts Read allBattered and abused stuntman Super Dave Osborne gets his own nighttime talk show. A version of this story ran in 2017; it has been updated for 2021. Distractify is a registered trademark. As Marty Funkhouser, Larry's self-declared best friend who also hated him, he was the funniest character on one of the funniest shows ever made. [1] Fuji typically initiates whatever stunt Dave is performing. I'm not a reality-TV kind of guy. Bob Einsteins first job in comedy was writing for one of the hottest TV shows of the 1960s, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, after Tommy Smothers saw him on a local television show. Whats Next for Convicted Sex Criminals Harvey Weinstein and R. Kelly? ", We'll also hear from some of Dave's favorite friends in comedy, like Curb and Seinfeld creator Larry David, who told says in the documentary that "[Bob] was hilarious. American - Actor November 20, 1942 - January 2, 2019. https://www.quotes.net/movies/the_super_dave_superbowl_of_knowledge_149728, The Super Dave Superbowl of Knowledge Screenplay, The Super Dave Superbowl of Knowledge's quotes, https://www.quotes.net/movies/the_super_dave_superbowl_of_knowledge_quotes_149728. You will be missed forever." Born Stewart Robert Einstein in Los Angeles on November 20th, 1942, Einstein was the son of. "Super Dave" Mr. Osborne's Neighbourhood (TV Episode) Quotes on IMDb: Memorable quotes and exchanges from movies, TV series and more. The daredevilwho had broken dozens of bones jumping over the fountains at Caesars Palace in 1967 and subsequently achieved superstardom doing similarly ill-advised stuntsseemed ripe for parody. After Dax Shepard asked her about her musical chairs relationship situation. In it, Brookss character has just broken up with his long-term girlfriend and is trying to feel healthy. He first buys a ton of vitamins, then heads over to the sports store where he encounters Einsteins (very good) salesman. Bob Einstein, the . Oh, Loosey! Im laughing just thinking about [working with him].". Life is a team sport; it's not about you. Hes dangerous, hes terrifying, hes an extra in, How to Watch the 2023 Oscars Celebrate All 23 Categories Live Again. Super Dave: Created by Allan Blye, Bob Einstein. In 1987, the cable channel gave the character his own series, Super Dave, which The New York Times declared cables first spin-off series and a dubious landmark of sorts. Super Daves first episode featured guest appearances by Ray Charles and Carol Burnett. It was often specified that Osborne's safety harnesses or seatbelts were made of "genuine Saskatchewan sealskin bindings". Clint Eastwood I just talk, and I say what I feel, and yet, I'm a nice guy. He would later employ this same delivery style as Marty Funkhouser on Curb. Hes one of the HBO comedys most unforgettable creations: blunt, self-centered, protective of his family, occasionally religious, and always swinging wildly through emotions while somehow remaining completely unreadable. The show currently airs reruns on Adult Swim in Canada. Something appeared to get lost in translation, as Osborne was already a cartoon and relegating him to animation seemed somewhat redundant. Super Dave Jokes Compilation - YouTube 0:00 / 16:10 Super Dave Jokes Compilation I'm not Norm 497K subscribers Subscribe 9.1K Share 476K views 3 years ago R.I.P. I started out as an advertising copywriter and evolved into it. And after reminding Larry about the funeral, Larry immediately pivots to talking about how one must be vigilant when eating an ice-cream cone. His second episode in particular swings from the sentimental as he tells the tragic story of his comedian father Harry Einsteins death while performing at a Friars Club roast, over to the story of meeting a coked-out Redd Foxx. In this piece, Dave unfortunately wont have time to perform a stunt to close out his show, but instead hes going to showcase his own mobile Sing Along Bus. It doesnt go well. It's hard to do all that small talk and make it sound real. When reflecting on the failed stunt, Super Dave would, in annoyance, call Walden a putz. Release Calendar Top 250 Movies Most Popular Movies Browse Movies by Genre Top Box Office Showtimes & Tickets Movie News India Movie Spotlight. His fellow comedians knew this and respected him, so obviously, they wanted to work with him. (Valerie Macon/Getty Images) Bob Einstein, the. Sue Enquist George Bernard Shaw Life is a team sport; it's not about you. Copyright 2023 Famous Quotes & Sayings. Curb is famously improvised from an outline, and Larry David has spoken many times about how an episode can change shape as its being filmed. Throughout the three-and-a-half-minute scene (which you can watch on TCMs website), Einstein steals the show as he convinces Brooks to purchase more and more high-end equipment, rather than the runners kit in a box he was initially eyeing. But it's almost like we're living in a reality show. Ill let you see how this gag unfolds for yourself, but the laugh that Carson gives at the punch line is one of pure glee, and its made all the better by the mirthless expression Einstein maintains as he lands the joke with perfect timing. Super Dave - King Of The Road Watch on This archery stunt had us all holding our breaths for real. Quotes; Favorite genres; Friends' recommendations; Account settings; Help; . Things you buy through our links may earnVox Mediaa commission. I like it when 15 year-olds come on and tell me what to do rather than the other way around. Super Dave (also known as The Super Dave Osborne Show) is a Canadian/American variety show starring and hosted by the fictional character Super Dave Osborne (played by Bob Einstein). Instead of eating, I do Botox. When pulled out of the hole, he was as his eventual logo depicted: his helmeted head sitting directly atop his smashed silver boots, the whole of his body supposedly compressed between boots and neck. Vanessa Romo. It's hard to do a variety show. He really made me laugh. Here are 16 minutes of him telling jokes on other peoples talk shows. Even transcripts of his jokes are funny. Youve got some Janning to do! Before appearing as Marty Funkhouser in Larry Davids improvisational HBO comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm, actor Bob Einstein was familiar to cable audiences as Super Dave Osborne, an alter ego created as a parody of reckless daredevils like Evel Knievel. He previously suffered a brain aneurysm on February 18, and was ultimately taken off life support. in Literary Quotes in Movie Quotes How Tyrel Jackson Williams Brought TikTok Cringe to, Its sort of a newer version of the L.A. actor ride that Kyle is on the first two seasons, but its worse.. Super Dave Osborne: Fuj, let me give you a piece of advice. You hunt it out in a library, you chase it down the street, or you knit it from the fiber of your own will. Some might actually say death is the ultimate stunt, propelling us into whatever comes next. Super Dave Osborne is a character created and played by comedian Bob Einstein. Einstein's comedic depiction is of a naive but optimistic stuntman who frequently appears injured when his stunts go spectacularly wrong. Bob Einstein loved to tell a good joke, and few did it better. . Copyright 2023 Wise Famous Quotes. The world first knew him as Super Dave Osborne, then as Marty Funkhouser on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Following his 1980s heyday, Super Dave was resurrected in. BrainyQuote has been providing inspirational quotes since 2001 to our worldwide community. Super Dave Osborne: Next time you shoot a bullet at a metal object, be careful of the ricochet. Offers may be subject to change without notice. I have no idea what the appeal is. You begin Barbara Kingsolver, Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners. Joe Gibbs, The objects that are of moderate energy, like our sun or most of the stars that we see in the night sky with the naked eye, are objects in which relatively moderate energy processes are taking place. Enjoy reading and share 7 famous quotes about Super Dave Osborne with everyone. Heres an episode for the full nostalgia experience.) Wise kings wear shabby clothes, and leave the gold lace to the drum major. Followed by the Fox animated cartoon Super Dave: Daredevil For Hire in 1992, and in live-action by three short-run cable series (1995's Super Dave's Vegas Spectacular, 1997's Super Dave's All Stars, and 2009's Super Dave's Spike-Tacular.) One of Einsteins most memorable performances was alongside his brother Albert Brooks in his 1981 film Modern Romance. It gets into your blood. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available from thestaff@tvtropes.org. But despite all that rudeness, the most anger we see from Marty is when his attempts to pay Larry back are rebuffed because he does so by using a $50 bill he was carrying in his shoe. Seals are not indigenous to the landlocked province of Saskatchewan, and are therefore part of the comedic juxtaposition predicated on the eventual failure of the stunt by being both "genuine sealskin" and from Saskatchewan. The Super Bob Einstein Movie airs Tuesday Dec. 28 at 9:00 p.m. EST and is then available on HBO Max. Super Dave Osborne: Do you know how close that bullet came to lodging in my knee? Tom Sandoval and Ariana Madix have broken up after he allegedly cheated on her with Raquel Leviss. (And yes, I did give him the car..) pic.twitter.com/0cVMIERSL1. I'm sorry. As soon as the person who gave him said item isn't looking, Super Dave will toss the object over his shoulder. 2023. (When appearing on Jerry Seinfelds Comedians in Cars in 2017, Einstein talked about attending at least one Smothers cast party in his characters costume. The best musical instrument is a love triangle. Web. It ran from 1987 to 1991 on Showtime in the United States and the Global Television Network in Canada. Bob Einstein, who passed away on Wednesday at the age of 76, sustained a half-century-long comedy career that spanned from The Smothers Brothers to Curb Your Enthusiasm. As he sits down, he hands both Johnny and Ed gifts in the form of their own Super Dave wallets. But according to Einstein, Super Dave was born more out of the false bravado he had seen exhibited by stuntmen in the movie business. Heres a great moment when he interrupted a serious discussion at a Curb panel at the Paley Center to tell a dirty joke. I came up with the idea of a daredevil who's going to go upside down, in a metal car, at 90 mph, and it's never been done before. Joe Arpaio Bob Einstein died on Wednesday at the age of 76. Despite a shark attack, being shot, and being hit by a truck, Super Dave does succeed in breaking the record. Simon Cowell, With fear of stating the obvious: Freedom belongs to 'We the People,' not 'They the Politicians.' All Rights Reserved. Quotes.net. Addeddate. His signature logo, a drawing of his head in a crash helmet directly atop a pair of crushed silver boots with no visible body, was from an iconic early sketch, "Balloon Ball". Super Dave Osborne Super. He is as deadpan as one can be. (Over the years, Super Dave had a Showtime show from 1987 to 1991, three stand-alone specials on various networks, a direct-to-DVD movie in 2000, and as evidence of the characters universal appeal, he even had his own Saturday morning cartoon on Fox in 1992. Instead of eating, I do Botox. Ahead of that, we're taking a look back at the origins of Einstein's unique comic persona. - Sitemap. Battered and abused stuntman Super Dave Osborne gets his own nighttime talk show. Privacy Policy and But with Super Dave, it's all phony anyway. Understandably, Albert realized that a show business career might be hindered by his fathers questionable decision to name him Albert Einstein, so he changed his name to Albert Brooks. The world first knew him as Super Dave Osborne, then as Marty Funkhouser on Curb Your Enthusiasm. 2023 Minute Media - All Rights Reserved. Super Dave Osborne: Next time you shoot a bullet at a metal object, be careful of the ricochet. Writer-director Danny Gold has been obsessed with Bob ever since he saw him on his first-ever TV appearance. Battered and abused stuntman Super Dave Osborne gets his own nighttime talk show. All we are trying to do is make people have a good time and laugh. But for a 1990 episode, Einstein told the Los Angeles Times that he came close to getting decimated for real. Larry the Surrogate is a one-joke character; hes there to literally speak for George Sr. while hes under house arrest. But to his friends and family, he was known simply as Bob Einstein. Menu. This password will be used to sign into all, The Best Moments From Bob Einsteins Legendary Comedy Career, Shania Twain Gives Rare Update on Her Ex-Husband and Ex-BFF, Journey Should Probably Go Their Separate Ways, The 7 Best Movies and TV Shows to Watch This Weekend, 6 Stand-ups Analyze ChatGPTs Attempts to Steal Their Jobs, Rick Scott Is Unfortunately Kind of Right About Novak Djokovic, Rick Scott Is Unfortunately Right About Novak Djokovic. (Kelita Haverland), Canadian-born singer k.d. Though he would later make his name with his characters, his on-camera career began on Smothers Brothers when he appeared as Officer Judy. In the Smothers writers room, he was taken under the wings of these comedy powerhouses and met his future writing partner, a young Steve Martin. *Sorry, there was a problem signing you up. Anniversary Of Death Of A Loved One Quotes. Super Dave is billed as an "accomplished" stuntman, though he rarely succeeds when performing the stunts depicted on-screen. Super Dave Osborne 153 Results Birthday Gift Super Dave Osborne Retro Wave Classic T-Shirt By Jamelolson $21.01 $26.26 (20% off) Birthday Gifts Super Dave Osborne Idol Gift Fot You Classic T-Shirt By Jamelolson $21.01 $26.26 (20% off) Super Dave Vintage Classic T-Shirt By nudgeforgood $19.51 $24.39 (20% off) Famously, as seen in the above clip from a 1969 episode, he once pulled Liberace over for playing the piano too fast. Super Dave Osborne Quotes & Sayings Happy to read and share the best inspirational Super Dave Osborne quotes, sayings and quotations on Wise Famous Quotes. A recurring theme was how the show wasn't going as Super Dave hoped, often via a performer going too long, going off-script, or being replaced without notice, leading to his increasing annoyance. Then, Fuji just makes you laugh because of the way he talks and the funny things he says in his chinese accent. Following his 1980s heyday, Super Dave was resurrected in several projects. But to his friends and family, he was known simply as Bob Einstein. Many of his misadventures have been based on demonstrating various aspects of the compound. Then, when he refers to himself as an orphan, he has to deal with Larrys incredulousness at his use of the term. . (Einstein used gifts frequently as an opening joke on the talk-show circuit. Super Dave book. Bob Einstein was the first guest to have the distinction of appearing on Jerry Seinfelds Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee twice (in 2012 and 2017), but sadly the bulk of those two guest spots are trapped behind the fence of Netflixs unembeddable videos. Like Bob Einstein himself, all were previously featured in similar roles on Bizarre. Typically the character will perform . The Wagner opera returns to the Met for the first time in 17 years. Einstein resurrected Super Dave on several occasions. What's more super than that? Where it started was from every a**hole who worked on a movie or worked in athletics or anything and when they were interviewed they were always Mr. Gladhand, Einstein told the Futon Critic in 2009. Offscreen, he was one himself. "There weren't too many complete dinners in that house. The character made his debut by lip-syncing to a Judy Collins record, but soon evolved into a gruff, no-nonsense cop who could appear at any moment. Once you get into it, however, it's very difficult to get out. He was then pulled over by the actual police.) Top Super Dave Osborne Quotes I'm not a reality-TV kind of guy. More The Super Dave Superbowl of Knowledge quotes, The Super Dave Superbowl of Knowledge's quote. Wise kings wear shabby clothes, and leave the gold lace to the drum major. 4 Mar. A new HBO documentary wonderfully titled The Super Bob Einstein Movie tells his story through the lens and laughs of some of his closest friends in comedy. Why is he with him the next day? On one end of the line, George Sr. yells at his son indignantly, but it then has to go through Einsteins surrogate, who says in his gravelly voice, I ought to pull down your pants and spank your ass raw, as if hes reading out baking directions.