Not likely. From September 2014, it was replaced with modified TR580 transmission in Outback 2.5 l gasoline-powered models. Regular maintenance and checkup is the key to keeping ideal transmission temperature. And it wasn't directed at you, just noting the influx of "2015 XXXX issue" threads because of lack of understanding. The tranny temp gonna be about 200degF because it's connected to the radiator which is regulated by the 195degF t-stat. Won't rev past ~4k. Genuine Subaru Part - SOA427V1415 (SOA868V9285) Should I try using a baffle on the cooler to bring the temperature up a few more degrees, or should I just run it at 168? Dealer Service, Maintenance, and Warranty Issues, http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/76274-cvt-cooler-installed.html#post1006641. However, if necessary, consult your Subaru dealer for inspection. In other words, it's a good idea to inspect or have the unit inspected regularly to avoid any surprises. Honda knows what they're doing, 2016 Obsidian Blue Pearl CR-V EX-L AWD (Rent to Own), Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V, https://www.ebay.com/itm/272757551589?rmvSB=true, Brakes, Tires, Wheels, Steering & Suspension. Also, I have mounted over my mirror so not much glare. That's all I'm sayingif well north of 200F tranny fluid temp is normal for a CVT, then so be it. Seems General Subaru Community related. A CVT is able to transition from the highest gear ratio to the lowest gear ratio within 5 milliseconds. My car had a broken transmission at 43,000 miles. . Remember the Upon shifting to the lower gear the torque reduction request is cancelled and upon resuming a shock can be felt and the engine RPM will begin to rise within about 1 second. Perhaps the Forester warms the CVT fluid to improve low temp operation? I'm wondering at what temperature the coolant sensor tells the fans to turn on. UltraGauge is both an OBDII Scan Tool and an Information center that displays selectable engine gauges, such as RPM, Speed, Coolant Temperature, Boost, Distance, Fuel Pressure, Mass Air Flow, and more. Make the most of your secure shopping experience by creating an account. 83,795. This is the normal operating temperature for a transmission. Treat people better. Thats why I think my experience and his with head winds was the worst regarding heat issues. You think all of the automotive engineers allowed this "problem to continue for 70 years and hundreds of millions of auto tranny setups? Read more. pedals (no One very common issue with all automatic transmissions is overheating. 2016 Forester: "Broken transmission due to broken transmission belt at 43,000 miles. CVTs differ from traditional automatic transmissions in that they do not have gears that provide "steps" between low and high speed operation. Enter your registered email address to request a password reset link. If you don't have a gauge, you don't know for sure, but "double the coolant temp duration . the E-Mail Reminder Service). This is also the point at which the combustion of air and fuel is most efficient, resulting in lower exhaust emissions. Cars run better with warmer fluids, not cooler. It looks like a rectangle plug with 16 pins and slope sides. There is little concern towing at half the stated rating for the Forester Wilderness. The thermostat also opens around 175. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. I find its good to monitor CVT/oil/coolant temps when driving off road and tires are aired down. When I am driving spiritedly I have seen as high as 210 but it quickly dropped down to 205. I was glad to hear they extended the cvt warranty to 100k mi, that gives me a little peace of mind. Every 20 degrees past that threshold will cut the life your transmission by half. Not sure if the other market Foresters that have the air cooled CVTs run cooler or not. This noise is most noticeable when outside the vehicle alongside of the right or left front fender in colder temperatures. It displays the tranny fluid temp from the signal it receives form the vehicle's computer.similar to the way the dealership's diagnostic computer receives signals/info from the vehicle's 'puter. When doing so, we will make every reasonable effort to avoid excessive or irrelevant collection of data. Lineatronic delivers a smoother ride while also reducing mechanical noise Subaru Outback One of Subaru's most popular models, the Outback has been in production since 1995. Hello, As we all know, lubricating fluids break down over time and will lose that ability to "keep things slippery". For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. By getting narrower or fatter, these pulleys change the If your transmission fails while your vehicle is in this hot condition, you may be at risk of serious injury or worse. different size gears. It will give you some great tips on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting a warranty. I google'd it but since many WRX's did not have oil temp gauges previously, the choosing of whether or not they should install these gauges dominated the discussion lol. My thought was that it was due to the recall but evidently had no relation, as per Subaru dealer on Maui. This information may be used to provide you with information you've requested about our company, our products and our services, or to provide you with special notices. HVAC Blower Motor Switch If the fan Heater, AUTO, Switch - OEM Subaru Part # 72311SA031 (72311SA030) Toggle navigation. Not feeling the love!". The CVT requires fluid pressures up to 1,200 psi to operate and it must pass through small passageways, which may result in a momentary hiss or squeal sound. This will allow you to connect your phone to your vehicle easily. The world's largest online community of Subaru Crosstrek and XV owners, prospective owners, and enthusiasts. What a joke. I called for a tow truck and had my car towed to the local Naples Devoe Subaru dealer. Also, without a delay for shifting gears, a CVT equipped vehicle is able to steadily accelerate without interruption. There is a compromise between the lowest gear ratio which improves acceleration and the highest gear ratio which improves fuel economy. It's not like Toyota that recommends a scan tool for their CVT changes but you can get away with just measuring cold and refilling the same amount. Cold. Now it's more like around 170 degrees F instead of over 200 degrees in normal driving. I was planning on exiting to refuel before this happened. Without set gear steps, the device benefits the driver with a smoother driving experience and improved fuel efficiency. Everyone knows about Subarus world-renowned symmetrical all-wheel drive and boxer engines. I think a sample could be taken from the filler plug, but I believe the CVTF temp has to be between 95-113F with the engine running or fluid could spill out. I had to quickly pull to the left shoulder. There is a compromise between the lowest gear ratio which improves acceleration and the highest gear ratio which improves fuel economy, in an attempt to keep the engine RPM in this range of efficiency. The Drive has answers. View attachment 2340. Can someone else who has one of these setups (Torque/whatever) and a Subie w/CVT check my work? crvownersclub.com is not in any way affiliated with Honda Motor Company, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Temperature Control Dial 5. That's the car's way of trying to get to the ideal operating temp faster. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool and Information Center, X-Gauge Categories 2013+ Subaru Outback with CVT. For a CVT equipped vehicle, the Chain is not solidly locked to the Variators, and a sudden shock such as this could possibly cause it to slip, damaging both it and the Variators, so the vehicle must come to a complete stop before a change in direction can be achieved. Accordingly, our policy regarding online privacy has been developed using the following guiding principles: Our dealership maintains a strict "no-spam" policy. 2013 Crosstrek: "Slow starting when turning over from stop/park/cold/hot. JavaScript is disabled. JavaScript is disabled. Where should I have put the thread? Outdoor temp 88F, cvt temp 201F (according to my ScanGauge II). If you want to trade barbs do it by PM. You're ready to visit Sport Subaru! Join us! JavaScript is disabled. Were the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester. At what temperature would overheating warning light come on? Here's some info from the FSM. A Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is an automatic transmission that doesn't use gears, instead relying on a chain and pulleys to transfer power to the driven wheels. Your car is safe when the temperature of the gearbox fluid hovers between 175 and 225 degrees Fahrenheit. The "help" section of the toolbar on most browsers will inform you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you upon the receipt of a new cookie, or how to disable the use of cookies completely. All engine power is transferred through small pins on the side of the chain and squeezed between the Variators at over 145,000 psi. No light so far. The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. It has lowered the median CVT temperature by about 25 degrees. The following sections are meant to describe the relationship between an engines power output, gear ratios, and their effect on fuel efficiency. I bought this car used. It is not uncommon for a vehicle operator to place the vehicle into Drive while the vehicle is still moving backwards. I go over how to read your WRX CVT transmission temperature with your android phone. With regular Mobil 5/10W-30, the oil will fall apart at 115C. Would you like us to send you price alerts? Got up to 240 degrees before having to pull off for gasoline. Ya the coolant temperature sensor was 185F. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. It also provides superior cooling and excellent low-temperature fluidity for smoother operation in cold weather. The design of the CVT also allows for a lower gear ratio than conventional automatic transmissions and can therefore accelerate quicker than a comparable vehicle equipped with a conventional automatic transmission, although it may not feel this way. Any other PIDs out there Not listed on ScanGauges site? JavaScript is disabled. I kept the trailer and cargo weight light for the first trip, total trailer/cargo/passenger weight was about 2,200 lbs. is different. Normal running CVT temp is 140 - 210 F, so you can't just warm it up and hope you are at the right temp. CVT, you never hear or feel the