The Bangladeshi community is the third largest in Tyne and Wear, after Newcastle upon Tyne and Sunderland with 1.7% of the town's population being Bangladeshi or 1300 people. All images courtesy of Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums. I was born in my grandparents' home. During the war, there was a shortage of paper and you sometimes had to take a large dish or dishes in place of paper. However, the rapid growth in population brought on by the expansion of industry made sanitation a problem, as evident by Cholera outbreaks[8] and the building of the now-listed Cleadon Water Tower to combat the problem. The cost for the corrugated structure was 260. old photos of south shields. enquiry@rememberingthepast.co.uk, Remembering the Past They handed over their wages every week and an allowance was given to each of them. You can go on the rides. It has six miles of coastline and three miles of river frontage, dominated by the massive North and South Piers at the mouth of the Tyne. Colliery. Cousin George could sing all the verses of the Lambton Worm plus many other Geordie songs. Huge men ready for a fight were quelled at a glance by 4'9" Minnie. It was taken in 1963. The Bangladeshi community is the third largest in the North East of England. A walk of interest, history, beauty and nostalgia to me, now aged 87. The place was more than likely lousy with fleas - but you never gave it a thought. 0.99 + 1.25 Postage. This is a 35mm slide. But, away from the 50s, of course, there is much to the towns rich story. childhood my-life pastimes-entertainment working-life. We just thought it was a great song. Angus hit the headlines again during the D Day invasion, supplying seals for the 25 miles of fuel pipeline under the channel. It was taken in 1963. This is a 35mm slide. A great experience, a wonderful day and a very happy memory. leisure pastimes-entertainment working-life. South Shields ( English: / ilz /) is a coastal town in South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England. celebrations-events childhood fashion shops-shopping. During World War I, German Zeppelin airships bombed South Shields in 1916. A few days before Christmas we wrote our notes for what we wanted and threw them up the chimney for Santa. It was taken in 1965. South Shields Town Hall was built. Jane Alice and Willie A Love for a Lifetime, Jeans Memories of the Rising Sun Hospital, Kathleens Memories of Growing up in Tottenham, Living on the fringes of Tyneside in the late 1930s, Longbenton Methodist Church Foundation Stone Laying 1955, Memories of a Wartime Wedding and Honeymoon, Memories of an Air Raid Protection Warden, Memories of Margaret Pederson-Carlson (nee Nicholson), Memories of My Childhood Playing and Entertainment, Memories of Scaffold Hill Isolation Hospital, Memories of St Josephs Primary School, Chirton, North Shields, 1956 1962, Memories of Trinity Street, North Shields, Miss Edwina Chatt, Teacher at Murton School, Miss Laverick, Western Board School (1955), Nancys Memories of Growing up and Going to Work, Shiremoor County Modern School 1948 1952, Shopping in North Shields as a Child in the 1940s, Shops in Saville Street and Bedford Street, North Shields, St Johns Ambulance Brigade in the mid-1930s, Sunday School and Early Church in Longbenton, The Childhood and Adolescent Years of Les Birkett, The Launch of the Dominion Monarch 27th July 1938, The Pantomime at the Wesleyan Church Hall, Percy Main, The Saga of the Dredger, Beaver Mackenzie, 1975, Tynemouth Borough Police Annual Inspection of Vehicles, 1964, Vivs Memories of Growing up in Sheffield, West Allotment Life in a Mining Village, Working and shopping in post-war North Shields, When the ship sailed you could say I helped build that., health local-history my-life other transport working-life. We lived for the pictures. This is a 35mm slide. The Jungle was certainly a rough and tumble sort of place. All rights reserved. The Port of Tyne is one of the UK's most important and is further developing its freight and passenger activities. South Shields County Borough Education Committee: minutes 1955-59 Gosforth UDC: new street expenses 1937-80, file on extension of the Coast Road 1972 . This photograph shows Santas Grotto in the Fenwick department store in Newcastle upon Tyne. There are hardly any in Jarrow, Hebburn which are the other two major areas in the borough. What life was like in South Tyneside 60 years ago - pictures of Marsden Grotto, South Shields fair and the Horsley Hill Hotel in the 1950s and 1960s Another selection of poignant photos of. If the dock yard lads were running late they would give two whistles and the little Brigham & Cowan's launch would come over and take them back to the south side. north-shields south-tyneside: 1960s: Brigham & Cowan Ltd Dry Docks: Dry dock owners and ship repairers South Shields: RtP/043/010: working-life: south-tyneside: 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s: Broken Biscuits 1960: First we would just look at them, then as your mouth began to water like mad, pop a bit in. When the Procession of Witness came past we always stopped what we were doing. Everything was dwarfed by the Esso Northumbria, which was so long you could see neither the top nor the other end. There was a lost childrens tent where you had to go. The Yemeni race riots were remarkable . They are playing the Stars and Stripes! First we would just look at them, then as your mouth began to water like mad, pop a bit in. South Shields RFC have been playing at Grosvenor Road, South Tyneside College since they were formed in 1956. Before 1820, South Shields was a predominantly sparse hamlet and village based rural economy with some small-scale shipbuilding, glass making and salt processing along the riverside. Gateshead v South Shields Northern Counties Lge 1961/2. And you can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. of My cousins had knitted bathing costumes. God help you if you fell in with all your clobber on! Terms & Conditions of Use He had his marriage blessed at the Al-Azhar Mosque, one of the earliest mosques in UK. I thought it was the countryside - it was all fields! We must have been fit, running back and forth along the beach all day. The local authority (South Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council) is also controlled by Labour. South Shields is situated in a peninsula setting, where the River Tyne meets the North Sea. Sometimes it was an effort to eat it all but being three healthy growing lads, we always gave it a damn good try. #7 of 24 things to do in South Shields. Ive played a lot of evil, ball-breaking women. Good Fridays always stand out in my memory because that was the day we marched round the town. One peaceful Sunday afternoon (the date was Sept: 17th 1944 ), Chris and his friends, aged about 11 years old witnessed hundreds of men dropping from the sky, some in gliders and some by parachute. Also a laser quest and bowling ally on site too. This is a 35mm slide. Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around South Shields, History Museums, Ancient Ruins, Monuments & Statues. I spent a happy time there in the infants and senior school. I told them I have to live here and they have to come into my shop so they got more friendly. "Bliddy mackerel" he roared, giving me a clip across the ear, "go back tomorrow and get some herring"! See more ideas about old photos, local history, olds. Sometimes I would run to school and use the bus fare to buy sweets or broken biscuits at Kidd's shop. If I only had tuppence hapenny I would only be given two and a half cigarettes. My favourite time was haymaking or bringing in the stooks. 1960s; Share | Add to Watch list. Their marriage was re-arranged to the Friday because the foot handicap finals were held the next day. This is a 35mm slide. Since Call: +44 (0)1722 716 376 for our site. This is a 35mm slide. The barracks were glorified mud huts, made with a combination of rubble, straw, soil and camel dung. The principal architect and engineer was James Walker, until his death in 1862 (whereupon John F. Ure took over). It is part of the metropolitan borough of South Tyneside which . It shows the illuminated and festive window of the Electricity shop in King Street, South Shields. A new book - South Shields In The 1950s - throws light on a crucial chapter in the town's history. Knowing what was to follow, the venue was apposite. You had to clean with cold water. White Picture. In 1860 Frith began supplying photos to retailers. The Tyne and Wear Metro light rail system was introduced in the 1980s and replaced British Rail services over the same route. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Nov 14, 2012 . These are best viewed from the Lawe Top, which also houses two replicas of cannon captured from the Russians during the Crimean War (the originals having been melted during World War II).[12]. The box did not move and my foot came to a halt in its tracks. I guess I was a bit of a special case because our family had pleasure boats on Tynemouth beach. It was taken in 1962. Handrails were used to fasten washing lines from one side of the square to another; clean sheets would flap loudly in the breeze. When Metro services were introduced, the railway line at the former High Shields LNER station at Laygate was re-routed eastwards to the then-new Chichester Metro and bus interchange. Our mothers made a great fuss of us and we had baked herring for tea for a few days. South Shields is a safe Labour Party Parliamentary seat,[104] the only constituency in existence since the Great Reform Act of 1832 never to have elected a Conservative MP. In 1832, with the Great Reform Act, South Shields and Gateshead were each given their own Member of Parliament and became boroughs, resulting in taxes being paid to the Government instead of the Bishops of Durham. There were no fires and no lights because the gas had been cut off. Subscribe. When the winch was released I was terrified and would have paid five pounds to get off! It was taken in 1966. We were returning home when the sirens started. They are a number of trade related landmarks: this includes the headquarters, warehouse and factory of the fashion company Barbour; the Customs House theatre and arts venue and the historic Mill Dam riverside. This is illustrated by the new multi-million Haven centre, Dunes centre and seaside improvements in the coastal area and a new multimillion-pound library The Word. This is a 35mm slide. Poultices on boils - hot bread or onion and sugar. historic maps, It was a huge machine and a special room had to be prepared. If you had no money, we used rubber from old inner tubes. You cleaned your teeth with salt. When hailstones showered on the roof, the film sound track was lost. Hills the hardware shop was an Aladdins cave. [37], A notable landmark in the town is the reconstructed Roman fort and excavations of the ancient Arbeia Roman Castra. This is the Broadlooms Christmas display window. The troop ship continues on its way across the azure blue of the Mediterranean to my destination Port Said. When we were threshing we had to tie the bottoms of our dungarees as the rats and mice were scurrying all over the place. There were some lovely children in that first class of mine. It was always happy times and you always enjoyed yourself. Ask Stuart L about Ocean Beach Pleasure Park. There is evidence that the site was used in the early post-Roman period as a British settlement. Refresh & enjoy your personal memories, or find some that family & friends will love as gifts. Register to find out more and create your first album! Once you jumped in that was it, you turned instant blue, fighting to breathe because the water was that cold. My war brought loss of a different kind, not the loss of a death, but the loss of division no less formidable in its onslaught. The resultant play RIOT was staged at the venue in 2005 and 2008. It was taken in 1962. This is a 35mm slide. Later controversially removed and the bodies interred elsewhere. At night, each child was given one sweet, but not if they were diabetic! Everything was either flower designs or psychedelic swirls or patterns. This photograph shows the Tynemouth Police football team that played against the Felling Division in the Northern Police Orphanage Cup in March 1949. If you wanted early morning tea it was 6d (2.5p) per person and if you had meals served in your bedroom it was an extra 1/- (5p). Timber yards, the prop yard and the river were the playgrounds of the children living there. Hotels and Bungalows. My childhood was an idyllic one and St. Josephs played a major part in this. I think it was the biggest travelling shop in the world at that time! The trouble was getting the money off the clients after Christmas. It was taken in 1965. This story is covered in a documentary film, The King of South Shields. It is presumed to originate from the town's beach and history.[38]. I remember one day a tram went out of control and ran all the way down Borough Road. On moon nights, barrels were put along streets and smoke making stuff was burned in them so the enemy couldn't see clearly. We'd paint a seam up the back of our legs too. It dawned on me I was being trained to be a housewife. I was a Ward Maid in a couple of local hospitals. celebrations-events childhood shops-shopping. The big change came in 1966 when the firm acquired a computer. and It was taken in 1963. Newcastle could be baking hot but by the time you got to the beach it could be misty and murky. Fennings Fever Cure was like drinking poison! La Strada in South Shields opened around 1962 and ran throughout the 1960s. They fired the gun in Northumberland Square to welcome in the new year, celebrations-events childhood pastimes-entertainment working-life. [11] Later during World War II, the German Luftwaffe repeatedly attacked the town and caused massive damage to industries which supported the war effort, killing many innocent residents. Sure enough there were a couple of beady red eyes staring at us. Sometimes it was foggy down here and you would see people all dressed up and it was just thick fog but they still went and sat on the beach. The party controlled the old County Borough of South Shields council until 1974. It was taken in 1966. Westoe RFC (now called South Shields Westoe), formed in 1875, still play at their original ground, Wood Terrace. Watch. To hear some 2 dozen trained people singing in a room of 12 feet square was totally unforgettable! It was taken in 1964. It was taken in 1963. Thankfully, only three people were injured including the leading fireman. In the ninth century, Scandinavian peoples made Viking raids on monasteries and settlements all along the coast, and later conquered the Anglian Kingdoms of Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia, who hailed from Angelnen in Denmark (modern day Germany). I used to hold concerts and buy wool for people to knit for the forces. Newcastle upon Tyne There would be clouds of dust coming off and God only knows what else, probably fleas, bugs, etc. Revised New Colour Series The ice cream boy was clad from top to toe in white. We were cycle troops, pedalling inland to secure a site.