Anonymous statements are not permitted. Eighteen more residents spoke to the board about the DEI initiative Monday. Marilyn Thomas, who has served on the school board since the 1970s, made the decision this year not to run for another term. I enjoy volunteering and helping my family, church and community. Please share this information with friends and neighbors who have children ready for kindergarten in fall 2023 (turning 5 by September 30, 2023). ), District/PTA/Athletic Booster/Academic Booster/Music Parents Events - Purple, Board of Education Meetings - Dark Orange, Regano Early Learning Center - Light Orange. I feel I have learned a lot, she said. As a school board member, I believe I can be that somebody who can connect and contribute. Veteran board member Marilyn Thomas has announced her upcoming retirement from the school board. Newspaper Page Text [Written for the New Yrk Dispatch.] PrincipalAttendance - (440) 349-8037Office - (440) 349-6230, SOLON MIDDLE SCHOOL6835 S.O.M. Center RoadAmanda Sullen, Principal(440) 349-2175, GRACE L. ROXBURY ELEMENTARY6795 Solon BoulevardMariann Moeschberger, Principal(440) 349-6220, REGANO EARLY LEARNING CENTERTerry Brownlow, Director33425 Arthur Road(440) 349-6210. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. No school is perfect, but in Solon we always focus on putting students first. Show: 6. I would have been happier to win, obviously, she said. Good nutrition and regular physical activity are important to the health and well-being of our students. A: Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) is a term used to describe policies and programs that promote the representation and participation of different groups of individuals. Two forms must be notarized: theRESIDENCE AFFIDAVITand theCUSTODY FORM(if you have court papers outlining your child's custody). Q: How do you plan to carry on the legacy of former Superintendent Joe Regano? Heckman said he assumes Protect Ohios Future endorsed him because he is a current school board member and the district offers the DEI programming. They are elected on a non-partisan basis during spring primary elections of even-numbered years. What You Need To Know: COVID-19 (Coronavirus), Office Hours: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Summer Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.), Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). Though they provided their team with a push, Solon's 29-22 lead wasn't safe after Wahlert Catholic came into the third quarter looking like a much more aggressive team. In Solon Springs, WI, they earn an average of $109,213. 2023 AP Exam Schedule *7:40 Arrival time for 8:00 a.m. exams . - Media valuation for a sports organisation. Superintendent Fred Bolden expresses his excitement to the Solon Board of Education Monday (Feb. 27) about the Solon Show Choir Invitational set for Saturday (March 4) in the Solon High School . SOLON A Solon man was arrested Sunday morning after a two-hour standoff with police, according to the Somerset County Sheriff's Office. Thomas, the boards longest-serving member, decided not to seek re-election and will step down when her term expires Dec. 31. Glavin said the board felt it was important to communicate with district families and the community as a whole after hearing from a number of residents on the topic of the districts DEI activities at recent board meetings. Barksdale and Heckman were both endorsed by Protect Ohios Future, a group that supports diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEI) programs, according to its website. In Solon Springs, WI, they earn an average of $109,213. Thank you for reading! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR REGANO EARLY LEARNING CENTER FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR. (Screenshot). Kindergarten Information Night is March 1 at 6:30 p.m. Information Night is a virtual event. It was a stressful time this year, but we got through it, Heckman said. However, Solon DEI has also pulled under its umbrella many excellent programs and clubs teaching about different cultures, religions and viewpoints for all grade levels. Copyright 2002-2023 Blackboard, Inc. All rights reserved. What is a Mechanical Engineer V salary? PUBLIC COMMENT AT BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS. Both candidates said they were not contacted by anyone representing Protect Ohios Future and are not sure what the endorsements were based on. In the schools, it comes down to self-respect and respect of others. Join us on January 19 at 6 p.m. for a virtual informational session to learn about the amazing educational experience your child can have in our preschool program. I will still attend school board meetings, and since my son starts school soon, Im sure Ill be in PTA, she said. In Solon Springs, WI, they earn an average of $41,134. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. Special Education - Intensive Needs Solon City School District in Solon, OH What email should . We have children who were in school in different years, but I know him through volunteering at the schools and helping out, she said. Im very dedicated, because I believe the schools are basically the heartbeat of our city.. In addition to all Solon Board of Education meetings, SETV airs: School-Based and Educational Programs These include Organized Parent Education Network seminars, parent orientation/information programs, guidance/college planning programs, school assemblies (such as COSI, visiting authors), commencement and DARE graduation. Solon Board of Education members welcome your questions or comments at any time. SOLON, Ohio -- The Solon City School District's goal for the next academic year is full in-person instruction and activities for all students. REGANO EARLY LEARNING CENTER REGISTRATION FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR. It will be Solon Democrat versus Solon Democrat in the Bedford Municipal Court Judge's primary race on May 2, with two local lawyers vying to fill the seat of current Municipal Court Judge Brian Melling, also of Solon, who is no longer able to serve on the court due to aging out of the position. I volunteer with the Solon Music Parents, the Athletic Boosters and PTA and am able to see first-hand not only how talented our students are but how important these activities are to students and their families. 2. Members of the Solon Board of Education listen as board President Julie Glavin reads a statement on behalf of the board expressing support for the districts diversity, inclusion and equity (DEI) initiative. What You Need To Know: COVID-19 (Coronavirus), The updated streaming format, which is also accessible directly at, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). Good News You Can Use about the Solon Schools. SOLON, Ohio -- Two longtime Solon City Schools staff members were promoted to key administrative positions at the Solon Board of Education meeting Monday (June 8). Also during the public comment portion of the meeting -- which lasted 53 minutes -- two residents expressed concerns about the districts face mask requirement indoors for students, staff and visitors in pre-kindergarten through grade six. Copyright 2002-2023 Blackboard, Inc. All rights reserved. But it is something that (Superintendent Fred) Bolden and his staff will be watching continuously, and to parents concerns, changes will be made if necessary., Board member John Heckman added, We dont take this lightly.. I believe encouraging frequent hand washing, regular cleaning and staying home when sick are at least equally important in preventing spread of illness. Solon - 4/20/2006 Solon is a great place to raise a family. KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION FOR FALL 2023 OPENS MARCH 6! - Post-merger integration for a telco. This years SHS program is scheduled to follow the students requested topics and partner more closely with families. As a finance professional, I believe I bring a unique perspective to the board. Todays seniors will be entering the next phase of their lives where they will be challenged to be independent thinkers. Solon High School is hosting an online information session about the College Credit Plus Program on Tuesday, January 24, at 6:30 p.m. - Options analysis for a subsea cable provider. SIOUX FALLS, S.D. They will meet others who may have differing or maybe even opposing opinions. A: Somebody needs to be connecting with parents. What You Need To Know: COVID-19 (Coronavirus), TO WATCH VIDEO RECORDINGS OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS, click, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). More Local News to Love Start today for 50% off Expires 3/6/23. Chris Mosby, Patch Staff Solon | News | Sep 2021 Best Schools: Solon High. The Board of Education of the Public Schools of Robeson County is made up of eleven members, eight of whom are elected by district and three at-large. Coach Sam's Scholars, a non-profit that raises funds to provide literacy and after-school programs for children in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) combines Mr. Kennedy's two passions: sports and education. I have four children who all graduated from SHS and were very successful. The negotiated agreement . The Regano ELC is not a typical preschool program and does not have open enrollment. Please click the ZOOM LINK to join the webinar on January 24: https://zoom.us/j/95831594240. I want families and students to feel that they are accepted and acknowledged so they may embrace their authentic selves and develop their unique talents. MANILA, Philippines Fraternities and other groups engaged in hazing should be blacklisted by barangays and towns, Rep. Bernadette Herrera of Bagong Henerasyon party list said in a statement If we are masking our children, it would seem as though we are using the children to protect the adults, who at this point all have the ability to get the vaccination., Schwarz asked when the board will re-evaluate its mask policy and consider why we are not making this an optional choice.. Tom Jackson defeated Tim Miller and Cierra Lynch Shehorn in a race for a seat on the Ohio Board of Education District 10, according to final . Center RoadAntoine Campbell, PrincipalAttendance - (440) 349-7405Office - (440) 349-3848, ORCHARD MIDDLE SCHOOL6800 S.O.M. Salary estimates based on salary survey data collected directly from employers and anonymous employees in Solon, Ohio. Solon Schools 2022-23 District Calendar - One Page | Solon Schools District Calendar 2023-24 - One Page. A: I believe that the biggest challenge that we are currently facing as a school district is getting through the challenges of the COVID pandemic. Timothy Ball Elementary will have an anticipated enrollment of 550, and the. It also favors comprehensive sex education, social and emotional learning, and in-school masking and vaccines. We dont mask and never have masked for the flu, despite the fact that the flu is far more harmful to children. Sports Contests Thomas, 78, has served on the school board for at least 45 years. We will continue to share information about planned diversity and inclusion activities well in advance of student participation to promote family dialogue and informed decisions, she said. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. At Monday's Solon Board of Education meeting, two parents had similar complaints about how the district has treated their students with special needs. If the situation is warranted, changes will be made, she said. Heckman and his wife, Lisa -- also a former Solon Schools PTA president -- have two sons who are recent graduates of Solon High School. In Solon Springs, WI, they earn an average of $147,163. All you need is a college degree. Step 1: 2022-23 School Year Online Registration Through PowerSchool Enrollment COMPLETE THE ONLINE REGISTRATION FORMS FOR GRADES K-12 HERE Step 2: In-Person Appointment at the Solon Board of Education RESOURCES: Kindergarten Information Night Presentation 2022 Kindergarten Information Night Handouts 2022 He happened to be working in the area, so we moved here. The decisions on mask protocols are made with the intention of providing the greatest protection to keep students in school and being able to participate in extra-curricular activities such as, sports, drama, music and clubs. Please be sure to consult information posted above before registering your child. Step 1: 2022-23 School Year Online Registration Through PowerSchool Enrollment, COMPLETE THE ONLINE REGISTRATION FORMS FOR GRADES K-12 HERE, Step 2: In-Person Appointment at the Solon Board of Education, Kindergarten Information Night Presentation 2022, Kindergarten Information Night Handouts 2022, VIDEO: Solon Kindergarten Information Night 2022. Parents, extended family members and Solon community members are able to view the more than 100 original programs each year on SETV. Valuing diversity and working collaboratively with our families and community on creating inclusive supportive environments is embedded in our Strategic Plan and the district mission. Theyre still passing it in their house when they get home. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and download our free mobile app on Android or iPhone. COMPLETE THE KINDERGARTEN INTEREST SURVEY HERE SO WE KNOW YOU ARE JOINING US FOR INFORMATION NIGHT! You will also see the required document list on the online registration welcome screen. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). District and school events are color-coded in the month-by-month calendar: Copyright 2002-2023 Blackboard, Inc. All rights reserved. All rights reserved (About Us). I am always looking at the value our schools provide to not only our students but to the greater community. All of my children went through the Solon schools and had varying needs that required different kinds of support. As advocates for strong public schools, Solon school board members also promote healthy dialogue with the community. Strategy: - Digital strategy for a large broadcaster. Toggle navigation. Solon Community School District 301 South Iowa Street Solon, Iowa 52333 Phone: 319-624-3401 Fax: 319-624-2518 info@solon.k12.ia.us Stay Connected Mission Statement: Engage each and every student in rigorous and relevant learning experiences, maximizing achievement through exceptional teaching . At a time when political division is prevalent. Complete the pre-registration process by filling out all required forms using the online link below. Were not in a vacuum. (KELO) Rodents, mold and seven classrooms without heat; those are just some of the issues at a Rapid City Elementary School. However the DEI title is fairly new. Solon Education Television - Arts, Athletics and Information from the Solon City Schools. A: As you know, the Board of Education honored the legacy of our longtime superintendent by renaming the Solon Preschool, The Joseph V. Regano Early Learning Center. There is a time for public participation during the meeting. So, join us this winter as part of our district wellness policy in taking the Comet Challenge! Each voter can select two candidates. In Solon Springs, WI, they earn an average of $90,688. She noted that parents have expressed many concerns about the DEI initiative, and she looks forward to seeing how much the district will take those concerns into consideration. Luke Pomerleau, 42, surrendered to police and was . A: I believe the school has two big issues right now. A: By continuing to put our students first when making decisions. Critical race theory is for colleges and law students, etc. On Election Day, people ask questions on various topics, and I tell them what I believe. The district administration is in constant contact with the Cuyahoga County and Ohio health departments to monitor the situation locally, which assists us in making COVID-related decisions regarding protocols in school, including indoor mask requirements. A: I am running for School Board because I am at a point in my life that I am ready to give back to the community and school that did so much for my family. A victory will do, and it was earned 46-44 over Solon during this Iowa girls high school basketball game. With so many high-quality academic and extra-curricular choices, the goal is for students to be well-rounded and fully prepared to apply and be accepted to the colleges of their choice, enter the workforce, join the military or safety forces, or even take a gap year for exploration, whichever best meets their needs and interests. It favors candidates opposed to critical race theory, comprehensive sex education, and social and emotional learning. Superintendent Fred Bolden said district. 0. Board of Education Meetings - Dark Orange Solon High School - Light Blue Solon Middle School - Light Green Orchard Middle School - Dark Green Parkside Elementary School - Pink Roxbury Elementary School - Maroon Lewis Elementary School - Yellow Regano Early Learning Center - Light Orange needs of all students. This past school year, a PTA committee of parents and staff prepared activities for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) lessons for Solon High School students. (Photo Courtesy of Michele Barksdale). Kindergarten Registration for fall 2023 in the Solon Schools is just around the corner with an exciting move to a completely online registration process for families.