Chaz Dean's Wen Hair Care and Guthy-Renker agree to pay a $26.25 million settlement over a class action suit that alleged the product was making customers' hair fall out and putting scabs on their scalps. Wen responded with a statement explaining that theyre continuing to sell the conditioner. P.J. "I did lose about a third of my hair, which is dramatic," she explained. When she examined the photos used in the lawsuit she also didnt see a connection to Wen. I know Nick makes some sulfate free products so there is no personal diss there at all. It's true lawsuits have been over hair loss supposedly caused by WEN brand hair care products, but no substantive evidence has yet been produced demonstrating that the WEN line of hair products is any more damaging than other similar products. Used to, they would take anything, back, refund, or exchange even months past my purchase date!! Will never trust QVC to care about their customers. After a month my hair started falling out in huge handfuls, literally, handfuls of hair. Its done wonders for my hair. I believe 26 mil was paid just for class action .That doesn't inc.individual. 1995-2023 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. No Prob For QVC. hmmmmmm you must have missed the brands CAROLS DAUGHTER and OUIDAD @sunshine45, those brands don't use models with every conceivable curl type from 2a to 4c. After trying different shampoos/conditioners none really worked well. Is there a lawsuit against WEN hair products? Dallas attorney Amy Davis is representing the plaintiffs. (LogOut/ And Wen-related hair loss complaints on consumer websites date back at least five years. Guthy-Renkert has big pockets and certain types of "lawyers" (using this term very loosely) know this. Just use products that you feel comfortable with. Why would QVC be different?A few brands that have settled class action lawsuits and are still doing fine:Johnson and Johnson baby products- sold in every drugstore, Marlboro cigarrettes- sold in nearly every drugstore or grocery store, McAfee - anti-viral software sold in most electronics stores or online, Whirlpool Refrigerators - only in California, because it was a state law, Sony Playstation - sold in any electronics stores, Dell Computers - sold in electronics stores and online. Honestly? We do not know if the company has other safety data, and we do not have the legal authority to require a cosmetics firm to provide product safety information.. End of sentence. HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA.com) A celebrity hairstylist is at the center of a lawsuit involving people from all over the country who have come forward to claim that his hair-care products have caused. That means it will now go to a. Well, a federal judge in Los Angeles just gave preliminary approval for the $26.2 million settlement against celebrity stylist Chaz Dean and marketer Guthy-Renker. They need to be put out of business! The litigation is ongoing. I used to wash my hair once a week because it was such a time consuming thing. "I did lose about a third of my hair, which is dramatic," she explained. Not sure what more someone needsoh, besides common sense! I have a few thoughts that I'd like to share 1) If you are that concerned about whatever news info you have been reading about Wen, then you should probably just stop using Wen. So in December of that year, a class action lawsuit was filed against WEN. *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email. They actually don't really appeal to the same market honestly. 4,200,536 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified. After a couple weeks I started noticing more hair in my brush after using product. I like normal hair- not flat but not big and bushy. Now I can make hair washing a part of a daily shower. Fall Apple Spice anything and Cucumber Thyme Treatment Oil, with an additional mention for Pomegranate anything). That announcement was presented in a stylistic format that led many to believe the content was being reported as news, but in actuality the circulating link was to a blog that covered class action lawsuits and was not a news article determining the merits of the claims: A class action lawsuit was filed against hair product maker Guthy-Renker LLC in a California federal court on July 31, alleging that its The simple solu. Is there proof positive that specific ingredients, unique to Wen, are causing hair issues? The Guthy-Renker formula is a little different because it had to be approved for world-wide sales. In women, hair thinning and loss can occur for a variety of reasons, not uncommonly due to excessive use of heat styling tools or hormonal fluctuations (such as those that occur in the post-partum period). Restore your hair in one step with the original cleansing conditioner. QVC Names Turner Alum As Chief InformationOfficer, $26 Million Wen Settlement? Santa Clara, CA: A proposed $26,250,000 settlement has been reached in the class action lawsuit pending against WEN Hair Care Products. I would never bother suing though -but I resent people who think it doesn't happen or it can't happen (or I didn't use the product PROPERLY). The WEN class action settlement was preliminarily approved on Oct. 28, 2016. We have shared our formulations and ingredients with the FDA, the brand said. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. We value your privacy. It was supposed to be $9.95 for the hair portion and $9.95 for the makeup portion. ConsumerAffairs is not a government agency. This company went out of business several years ago due to complaints that their products caused or contributed to hair loss. There are two tiers of those eligible for greenbacks: Some will get $25 and others who alleged severe damage to their hair and scalps are entitled to up to $20,000. Celebrity stylist Chaz Dean and Guthy-Renker LLC, the manufacturers of WEN Cleansing Conditioner, proposed the settlement in June 2016. Why would QVC be different? And I don't know if it's even an issue with the people that claimed hair loss, but the formula sold on QVC is the same as Chaz sells in his salon/website. 05:26 PM @nikki48 and @sailor_moon!!! Sure probably that's true with every single product on the market. Ive been wanting to enhance the natural curl pattern and eliminate blow drying and flat ironing. Why can Wen still be allowed on the market with so many people complaining, lawsuits and FDA investigations??? Then she laughs. Is it true that using WEN is like using lotion to clean your hair? Putting this behind them might be harder than it seems, however, as the Food and Drug Administration is now also doing their own investigation into the company and its products. How the hell did this story get by us: Chaz Deans Wen Hair Care and marketer Guthy-Renker have reached a $26.25 million settlement of a class action suit brought by consumers who alleged the product made them lose hair. Mike George is shameless dont buy from QVC. Sweet almond mint is a universal cleanser that adds sheen, moisture, and manageability to hair, and can also be used as a shampoo, detangler, leave-in conditioner, or shaving cream. Unlike some other vendors, Chaz isn't critiquing specific brands Like saying that tea is great, but that S**ka -- I'm just choosing something at random here -- makes bad coffee. $26 Million Wen Settlement? Nick has his followers and should focus on promoting his own product rather than trying to undermine a particular line. 1995-2023 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. You know, common sense. Asia Pacific; EMEA; Latin America; UK Solicitors; UK Bar; United States Not surprised to hear about that folicle clogging business. A New York member of Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA) has filed a $105 million class-action discrimination lawsuit against QVC, Inc.. We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real. Unfortunately, my hair became very dry and started breaking badly. There have been many stories about this on the QVC board. Love it! Just wondering - I don't use WEN myself. WEN Hair Care, a product line owned by celebrity hairstylist Chaz Dean, is currently tied up in a lawsuit over multiple women claiming that the product line has led to hair loss, according to a. Moreover, the manner in which Wen hair care products purportedly caused the damage in question has not been explained.". I have scabs on my scalp and since then have lost 1/4 -1/3 of my hair! - edited 3. 06:28 PM, Asolutely right, @vermint. Four Women File Lawsuits Claiming Chemical Hair-Straightening Products Caused Uterine Cancer, Uvalde Survivors File $27 Billion Class-Action Lawsuit Against Authorities, DevaCurl Implements Additional Testing After Longtime Users Claim Significant Hair Loss and Damage, We Tried Jennifer Anistons Latest LolaVie Products Heres Our Review, Rice Water Shampoo Helps Strengthen and Shine Your Hair These Are the 9 Best, The 8 Best Dry Shampoos of 2023, Tested and Reviewed, A Timeline of Balenciaga's Ad Campaign Scandal, The 12 Best Drunk Elephant Products of 2023, Family Dollar Recalls 400 Personal Care Products Over FDA Safety Concerns, PEOPLE's Beauty Awards 2022: The Best Skin and Body Products of the Year, Rihannas Hairstylist Calls K18 Hair Products a 'Game Changer', hundreds of people joined the class action suit, just approved the $26.25 million settlement agreement between the parties, 10 Stars Get Brutally Honest About Their Biggest Hair Regrets Ever. Oh maybe he does with all that shampoo. Copyright 2023 TV Shopping Queens All Rights Reserved. "Because my hair was so thick, I didn't notice it right away.". Founded by celebrity hair stylist Chaz Dean, WEN is a line of sulfate-free hair care products. Do you use Wen Products? It's true lawsuits have been over hair loss supposedly caused by WEN brand hair care products, but no substantive evidence has yet been produced demonstrating that the WEN line of hair products is any more damaging than other similar products. I think his salon caters more towards the older ladies with finer, thinning hair. junio 12, 2022. abc news anchors female philadelphia . I will stop using Wen for only 2 reasons: By the way, I did a quick Google search the other day for lawsuits for other hair care linesI did find one. To shareholders pocketbooks only! I'm not interested in back combing, or 'rats' in my hair, harsh one-dimentional hair color, or the little poofs on top that pretend to make up for the lack of volume elsewhere. It is very important to do your own analysis before making any investment based on your own personal circumstances and consult with your own investment, financial, tax and legal advisers. Different levels of hardness/softness in water can make the process easier/harderyou just have to know your water and maybe use a shower filter. Remember Carol's daughter sold shampoos and conditioners before she started selling her co wash/cleansing conditioner. No judgements. . I still wound up with dry hair that felt unwashed! Unsubscribe at any time. 12-18-2015 In the black hair community Co-washing had been around for a while and as I was considering going natural I was reading up on it. Clearly on the bottle but people will still sue, even if instructionsand side effects are made clear. Maybe you've been sucked into the oddly hypnotizing infomercials featuring Alyssa Milano. But my scalp is cleaner with WEN than it ever was with shampoo and conditioner. I spend way less time washing my hair with Wen, and dont need a million other products to compensate for my hair feeling dry and tangled. I had to stop using it as my scalp wasn't breathing, but I certainly wouldn't sue him. I really can't think of a good answer to this question. @bebe777and I were being silly about S**ka, but it is EVIL stuff! I have no problems with WEN products; they worked really well for me for years; so Im not doing anything with it. I use one account for the shopping channels and other non-business things, and you cant believe A) the amount of spamahempromotions I get and B) the sheer volume of emails from all the online ordering I do, some of which ends up in my inbox and most of which ends up in Junk. Shop Sale Prices WEN hair products are a new approach to the way you cleanse, condition, style, and care for your locks. My hair started thinningmonths ago but i had NO idea why&if some of it was my imagination? I purchased a bottle of Wen Melon Mint a few months ago and everything was great. Copyright 2022 Consumers Unified LLC. I am almost male now and need to wear a wig to hide how bald I am. I couldn't believe it. WEN's website says it has sold over 40 million products since 2008. According to this class action lawsuit, WEN's sulfate-free hair products contain an ingredient that "causes a chemical reaction and damages hair and follicles," resulting in baldness, rashes, scalp irritation, hair breakage, and hair discoloration. nah @Drythe come on you know it is more fun for some to just ignore facts and instead just, 11-02-2016 I wanted to try the products with their "trial offers." I called QVC & asked for a refund on about 7 different Ojon hair products that was causing my scalp to itch and I couldnt use anymore. There's no good reason to upset yourself about how any particular product might affect you. Before that happens though, the case will go on to be reviewed by a U.S. District Court Judge who will pass a final ruling on the settlement. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Who's Eligible The webpage also covers the major points regarding the history of this issue: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/wenhair.asp, Please note that I have chosen to only include Snopes' conclusions about the strengthof this lawsuit in the information I am sharing below. qvc wen lawsuit. Someone or small group of people shaking down a corporation for money for some grievance, real or fake? To revisit this article, visit My Profile, thenView saved stories. Lisa Price use to wear her hair straight until the move toward natural hair became more popular. In fact, my DH still uses this product with no issues whatsoeverjust goes to show that not everything works for everyone--and ANY product can cause "issues". The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Cond Nast. "Within two weeks of beginning use of her WEN Cleansing Conditioner, Plaintiff began losing substantial and abnormal amounts of hair," the class action lawsuit explains. I think CD will settle this out of court (where you get the chance, as a defendant, to dictate at least some of the terms of what is released to the public) instead of having a trial. My boys use it all the time as well. Me too! Nope, just quit using it, and I would never tell someone else not to use it. You only win it if you can prove your accusations . In the past week I've noticed little pimples all over my scalp that are itchy. At that time, the publication said that a South Cali federal judge would have to approve the deal. returned with force on Twitter and Facebook. I was shaking my head. 11-02-2016 Even if there is more information eventually, that's probably going to be months and months or, more likely, years down the road. Take a moment and read@ChynnaBlue's excellent suggestion that you familiarize yourself with the process. I mean, they really touched me!!! Five other women are also part of Peterson's lawsuit. 07:01 PM So instead of removing the product when you rinse it off, it just becomes impacted in your hair follicle.. QVC has better deals on it then Chazs own website. Also from his techniques and line I felt the product just wasn't made for me and my concerns. We take great pride in the quality of our products and believe every product meets our high standards. It is cheaper to settle than to go to trial to try to fight it. Wen lawsuit - is this where we want to focus our attention? Those so-called volumizing products contain so much alcohol they probably made your hair feel dry and brittle. Over the course of several months my hair improved and it now is fine. I've been using about 2 months. FAQ. Change). By the end of 2015, many of those who had suffered adverse effects while using WEN products decided it was time to hold the company financially accountable. But recently, a group of 200. Just like any volume adding shampoos I used to use all in vane. Find recent orders, do a return or exchange, create a Wish List & more. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Clearly there was something in the Wen products that did not work for me. I was wondering why Chas Dean was on QVC again alsoespecially a TSV! okay so here is the real scoop. A Class Action Suit Is Filed. The news story showed pictures & videos of some of the women hair & scalp injuries/damages. He was super generous at the Beauty Bashes. There have been many comments with the same allegations on the Q boards. - edited Required fields are marked *. I DID buy and have gobs of the different hair products sold on QVC called Ojon. By entering your email, you agree to sign up for consumer news, tips and giveaways from ConsumerAffairs. No complaints at all about Wen. The problems with the product are not new. how to find a seller on mercari by name. I have waist long blond hair and it can tangle so easily that I was trying thicker conditioners by the month. Moreover, the manner in which WEN hair care products purportedly caused the damage in question has not been explained. I used Wen several years ago for a period of about 8 months. [] https://homeshoppingista.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/qvc-notifies-wen-buyers-of-26-25-miilion-settlemen… []. @faeriemoonYou'd think so, wouldn't you? -- But I don't think Wenners have any problem with other Wenners sharing which Wen products work for them, and which Wen products some Wenners think might smell like say possibly, bug spray (e.g. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, I just don't think he does alot of younger hair or works with many people with thicker hair. Created by hair dresser Chaz Dean, the WEN product line is hawked on QVC and sold on Amazon and Sephora. Haircare Skincare WEN MEN WEN Kids WEN Pets Home Tools Shop All Bamboo Green Tea Restorative Cleansing Conditioner $40.00 - $256.00 Bella Spirit Cleansing Conditioner $55.00 - $320.00 Bella Spirit Indigo Toning Cleansing Conditioner $55.00 - $320.00 Get the latest happenings on it, right here. Chaz just chooses his cleansing conditioner method; he's not personalizing it. Imagine the headache Chaz must be having. Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Why is QVC still selling WEN products while WEN is being investigated by the FDA? | QVC, Q and the Q logo are registered service marks of ER Marks, Inc. 888-345-5788. That is the last I will say on this subject. No, according to Snopes.com (see the article in the post which follows this one). I also used to have to wash my hair the day before anything important so that it would flatten out while sleeping on it. Be wary of doing any business with them. And today, that case just got its first ruling from a Los Angeles federal judge, and things are not looking good for the sulfate-free beauty brand. The ingredient lists for the Sephora version and the QVC version of the SAM cleansing conditioner, SAM remoist, and SAM replenishing mist are different. I've just spent the past hour googling this Wen lawsuit issue and neither the plaintiffsnor theirattorney have any clear, solid accusations regarding specific ingredients. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. Tags: Chaz Dean, lawsuit, QVC, settlement, The Homeshoppingista, WEN. The baking soda clarifying part was not something I wanted to doand Wen came on! Chaz Deans Wen Hair Care and Guthy-Renker agree to pay a $26.25 million settlement over a class action suit that alleged the product was making customers hair fall out and putting scabs on their scalps. There's no good reason to upset yourself about how any particular product might affect you. - edited Now this is coupled with plain old jealousy from others. My hair stopped thinning out. I agree, all I ever saw in his presentations was ways to get more volume in your hair. So feiern Stars 2022 Weihnachten: Das machen Heidi Klum & Co You know, in many cases they say - YES, I do! Oddly enough, I originally tried the Sephora version because the kit was such a good deal and really liked it. I learned what I know about using WEN from reading nearly every thread on this forum, as well as watching presentations for over a year before ordering. Wen settled a multi million dollar class action lawsuit. There have been many stories about this on the QVC board. QVC offers a package of Wen products as its Friday Todays Special. Host wrote: Odd how a product works great for some and awful for others, isnt it? Since there has been so much posted on this topic in the past few days, I have included some information from the Snopes.com website below. Plaintiffs claimed the various formulas had caused partial or complete hair loss. 2. Wen is truly universal because so many different hair types can use it. In 2014, more than 200 people joined a California class-action lawsuit against Wen by Chaz Dean. "So women who used to enjoy time with family and friends out and about in social settings they've become house-bound. I had to report them to the BBB for them to stop sending me notices. Hey, I don't see Chaz afraid of anything. Sign Up to Join WEN Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Everyone who bought WEN or suffered hair loss has until April 28, 2017 to file a claim for $25 cash or up to $20,000 in compensation for hair loss. I've been using Wen for 5-6 years now, and I love my Wen. Never! how to unhide mouse cursor windows 10; QVC= quality, value & commitment? Plaintiff Amy Friedman of Florida purchased the WEN Cleansing Conditioner Sweet Almond Mint basic kit on Jan. 29, 2014 for $29.95 after seeing advertisements for the product. UPDATE July 22, 2016: And we have even more news: The FDA is now officially involved in the case. Despite the settlement, Wen says it did no wrong. Many claimed the reported hair loss persisted even after they discontinued using WEN products. It will take years and a doctor's intervention to fix my hair and what has be done to my hair! Apparently there is enough proof this product use can result in hair loss that Chaz has chosen to settle instead. The lawsuit was the leading news story on my local tv news this afternoon. Others went on social media with their complaints: From what we understand about the product and how it causes hair loss is it contains virtually no cleanser, attorney Amy Davis told CBS Los Angeles when the initial lawsuit was filed. No Prob For QVC | Homeshoppingista's Blog By Linda Moss, https://homeshoppingista.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/qvc-notifies-wen-buyers-of-26-25-miilion-settlemen…. Never using again. Unsubscribe easily. Also months ago i too got the letter from QVC but it was very unalarming. What the circulating rumors lack, however, is a cited culprit in the form of an ingredient or other factor differentiating WEN brand hair care products from others that could cause. I am surprised QVC allows it, honestly. Ummm.the last thing I need is bigger hair, not to mention most of those products don't moisturize enough for my needs. My eczema was exacerbated. Example: [Collected via internet, January 2015], Origins: In early February 2015, a long-circulating rumor about hairstylist Chaz Dean's WEN brand of hair care products (primarily WEN Cleansing Conditioner). Watch it next time, hey I can do that at home using water. The funny thing is, the only one really going to make bank on this are the class action lawsuit lawyers. No Prob For QVC What's wrong with this picture? QVC insights Based on 1,544 survey responses What people like Ability to meet personal goals Areas for improvement Sense of belonging Trust in colleagues Support from manager 1.0 Job Work/Life Balance Compensation/Benefits Job Security/Advancement Management Job Culture Work load not hard, but management is not good. I use it on my body too. It's the most recognizable brand name of the "no-poo" movement, where you cleanse your hair by means other than traditional foamy shampoos, purportedly to make it healthier and shinier over time. They have all these stupid rumours flying that Wen products have been pulled and you know how that goes rumour on top of rumour will fly. Snopes and the Snopes.com logo are registered service marks of Snopes.com. While beauty suits are nothing new with a class action suit brought against Los Angeles hair stylist Chaz Dean's brand Wen in 2016 among past cases, John Gardella, a shareholder at CMBG3 Law . She said they are a good product depending on your hair type (which makes sense to me!) In the meantime, we're curious: How many of you have tried Wen? QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites. region 1 rhythmic gymnastics And another reported that even after she stopped using the products her hair [is] still not quite right.. It clogged my scalp to the point of my hair falling out & according to my internist gave me a cyst that finally stopped filling once i discontinued using WEN. I do hope to be able to live in peace and like what I like without being assaulted, verbally or otherwise, by people hiding behind the anonymity of the internet hoping just to do nothing except irritate others. There will always be ambulance chasers willing to air up any cause because they make a lot of money, even if settled out of court. Now I have scabs. Claim: The WEN hair care brand of cleansing conditioner causes hair loss. At this point, more than 200 customers. I saw his presentation not that long ago where he said that no women ever complained of too much volume or wanted flatter hair. As soon as I stopped using it, my hairbrush stopped being full of hair. I see that Wen conditioner is an item available in the GWP bundle, so I'm going to drop a word of warning. There were less than 150 claimants/plaintiffs in the class action suit-a tiny fraction of the thousands & thousands of Wen users who had no problems with the product. And WEN settled a class-action lawsuit for $26 million. A few brands that have settled class action lawsuits and are still doing fine: Johnson and Johnson baby products- sold in every drugstore Marlboro cigarrettes - sold in nearly every drugstore or grocery store McAfee - anti-viral software sold in most electronics stores or online For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our I purchased 3 bottles of different shampoos/conditioners from one of my retail customers. I even tried using olive oil and mayonnaise to see if I could stop the tangling! I want to live my life and enjoy my Wen without listening to the hystrionics of a group of people who just want to agitate others. ", I can clearly see - their hair woulddefinitely benefit from some moisture and goodness that WEN would provide for their hair. QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. This has since soured me on subscribing to any beauty box services. @bebe777I agree with you 1000%. I would just about guaranteethat's not what the vast majority of Wenners want to see focused on in this forum. I have been using Wen cleansing conditioner and styling creme for at least 10 years. What do you think of this lawsuit? By the time I called them up to see if I could return the shipment, they told me I had just exceeded the deadline for returns. I then cancelled the subscription. Original review: July 15, 2022. I returned Wen hair products to QVC because during and after one use it burned my scalp causing it to blister and scabs to form. RELATED PHOTOS: 10 Stars Get Brutally Honest About Their Biggest Hair Regrets Ever, Also provided in the lawsuit were online reviews revealing that user complaints started way back in 2012. I think if anyone can stop this nonsense on here you and the other poster, Bruingirl I think but especially you could help stop this. Not every Wenner likes every Wen product: the Wen Lavender Cleansing Conditioner and my hair will never be good buddies. Do I think that there is just one hair product in the world for everyone? Chaz is choosing one method of cleaning hair over another Like choosing tea over coffee as the beverage of choice. Anyone can start a lawsuit. 1. I went to my account to check the date of my return and refund only to discover my purchase of Wen hair care products (TSV) has been removed and deleted from my purchases and from the returns . It's like using lotion to wash your hair. So here's my take away from all of this Just don't respond to these threads. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/popular-hair-product-line-wen-sued-allegedly-making-women-go-n480276?cid=sm_fb. I just happened to see that the class action lawsuit against Wen has been settled and claims are being paid out. -- They're sure to be resurrectedby those who dislike Chaz andWen, but then we'll be clear about who those folks are. But that's qualitatively different from just trashing Wen in general.