People these days have short attention spans and dont want to hear anything over five minutes it seems. ressurection band sweet comfort undercover allies imperials silverwind stryper degarmo and key [Edited on 4-30-2006 by bigheavyq] PuritanCovenanter The Joyful Curmudgeon Staff member Apr 30, 2006 #2 Bride Saint Kerry Livgren and AD The Choir David Zaffiro face than even the most extreme Prog LP, but swings furiously with wild tonality. This lithe Space Rock, the twin sister of John Martyns Moebius-loop excursions, would be manna to fans of the rhythmic densities of Krautrock and Post-Punk. Obscure heavy Rock bands of the early 70's Top 10 70s Obscure Hard Rock Records? The most of the 70s artists are remembered by jourbalists, not comom people or musicians, so, as the media loves pop and minialism all of the artists who own a more worked instrumental are ignored. A Dutch psychedelic band that found worldwide success with the single "Venus," which went No.1 only two months into 1970, introducing a new decade to the band's wild sonic stylings. More than any other Rock giant of the seventies Zappa had an awareness of the full spectrum of music. The following years Moonmadness was another hit amid various line-up changes, and the group kept charting until 1984. I could go on and on. Unfortunately, we didn't hear how the band could have developed due Bolan's tragic death at age 29. All Rights reserved. The Beatles Pink Floyd The Rolling Stones The Doors The Beach Boys The Who The Kinks Steppenwolf Jefferson Airplane The Byrds 60s Psychedelic Rock Bands Year of release: 1974. SternodoxSubGenius Pope of Arkansas Location: Little Rock, Arkansas Sternodox,May 16, 2016 #4 If vinyl was the de facto cultural standard then the long-playing album was its corollary. The Rock against Racism movement, initially launched in response to comments in support of Enoch Powell made by Eric Clapton, received massive support. And they would be fine, since they were the vision of a bona fide superstar, Steven Stills, and featured Chris Hillman of The Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers amid an array of truly great players. They have a name that sounds like a forgotten Marx brother, but this is a long running Spanish band. 3) Manfred Mans Earth Band Paul Hornsby said that Donnie McCormick was the Souths next super star in waiting and that the Eric Quincy Tate Group was the best damned live bar band that he has heard in his career. Beyond his Mothers of Inventions classics (Uncle Meat (1969) being perhaps Progs original stone tablet) some of his seventies discs are excellent. The artists on this list fused genres, cultures, and sonically diverse soundsyielding a vast cultural experience that ranged from bright shining soul to the birth of glam rock. 2022 Galvanized Media. I've been getting into searching obscure 70s rock bands (thanks Youtube!). A patient piano introduction leads to a choir-filled chorus. Floating Turd Henry and the Onions, Four Hideous Horsemen, Freddys Frenulum, Gag the Giraffe, Solitan Shithammer, Hateful Christian Bastards, Hawking Loogies, Incubaitors, Aunt Annies Jackboot, and The Jerkin MahGherkins. You can hear the edgy energy on Bad Talk and Cleveland Ohio. After the commercial success of The Beatles there followed a massive surge in R&D. It's just a good song, period. jmpatrickForum Resident Location: Detroit, MI Magnum jmpatrick,May 16, 2016 #3 LDMAClikes this. Our top six songs involve a broken home, Jesus, Woodstock, an underaged girl, a (seemingly) unplanned pregnancy, and, well, "My Ding-a-Ling." Those top six songs are definitely about something. It certainly nodded towards the Black Sabbath end of the spectrum, but had its own charm and niche. 1. Despite all this my favourite track is the relatively straight hippy reverie 'Johnnys Garden'. Rose used to earn $8 an hour by smoking cigarettes for a science experiment at UCLA. Lost Hits of the '70s sticks to mainstream pop for most of its 20 tracks, but there are New Wave singles (the Knack's "Good Girls Don't"), power-pop (Rick Springfield's "Speak to the Sky," Dwight Twilley's "I'm on Fire," the Records' "Starry Eyes"), folk-rock (American Flyer's "Let Me Down Easy"), funk (Hotlegs' "Neanderthal Man"), country-pop . Ranker Music. The brazenly amplified, impossibly ornate instrumentation is yet more inones Spirit At times, it sounds like Blue Cheer meets Budgie. Hope to have helped broaden the content of the playing list, Quatermass The unavoidable, and sort of delightful, 1970 hit "In The Summertime.". 16. Blue Cheer, "New Improved !" 14. And Shinyunsuke Nakamura guitar playing is an overpowering technical blur. Blodwyn Pig Ducks Deluxe, Man, Deke Leonard, Southern Hillman and Furay Band, Lindisfarne,. The second-division 70s rock bands were not remotely generic. and some that are worth the mention, in my opinion encoding. Rocks capacity for growth was enabled by the way in which its host form was heterogeneous. No. Im going to stop here. They have won multiple awards, including five American Music Awards and six Grammy Awards. 99. Posted on March 3, . With their silver suits and Motown-influenced dance steps, this California group played soul with style, and had six songs on the charts in the '70s. Examining the consensus of greatest records of the seventies reveals a critical drive that tends to focus on music perceived to have had lasting influence. Her 'Jimmy Jean', with its delicious scat yodel, was a Patrick Forge and Gilles Peterson Acid Jazz staple and was even reissued under the auspices of that scene. In this sense, a record like the awesome Birds of Fire is a lost album in the truest sense in that it represents an unexplored possibility. Stephen Stills - Manassas (Atlantic 1972)*. Beefheart, Alex Harvey, some of the amazing bands of that era. On guitar Peter Haycock was sublime. Rory Gallagher. Im not sure whether that given this relatively obscure record by a crack [sic] troupe of Black UK musicians came out in 1972 that mine could qualify as a controversial opinion, but I think they The Doors-Old Stone Road. Fusion subsequently became either funkified, as on Herbie Hancocks Sly Stone influenced Head Hunters (1973), or quickly unhitched from Rock and identifiable as a genre of its own. This all-female R&B trio from Los Angeles formed in 1969, went No. Robin Trower, formerly of Procol Harum, was seen by some listeners as the heir to Jimi Hendrix. 1 on Billboard Christmas Airplay. Given my market's penchant for rock-40 of the late '70s and early '80s, I'm surprised to see any REO Speedwagon song on the list. 1 with great albums like Straight Up and Wish You Where Here. Support tQ's work by becoming a subscriber and enjoy the benefits of bonus essays, podcasts and exclusively-commissioned new music. While they barely hit in their native UK, a decade of albums on Vertigo label and Chrysalis won a strong following in the US, with Free Hand going Top 50, and the likes of Octopus and The Power And The Glory proving fascinating those with ears to hear. The wonderful Atlanta Rhythm Section faced one drawback: their acronym was ARS. Nearly forgot Kevin Ayers. ,, Follow My Dream ,, album ? The superb Sacred Baboon was not released until 1989. A German band who were formed in Ochsenhausen during 1976, McOil only recorded one album, 1979s All Our Hopes. Theyre just musicians, FFS. The way I've defined levels of obscurity within a genre is like this: 1st level - bands any general music fan has heard of 2nd level - bands any casual fan of the genre has heard of Still play their live album endlessly. They only released one album, 1979s All Your Pretty Moves, but this is a gem. Building a loyal, if small, following, they toured constantly, supported the likes of Wings and Dave Edmunds, but disbanded unheralded in 1975, leaving us half a dozen albums such as the country-inclined Nervous On The Road. His first book,Encyclopedia Metallica (opens in new tab), published in 1981, may have been the inspiration for the name of a certain band formed that same year. Reaching unparalleled sophistication in terms of production, Vinyl even embraced outr technology like Quadrophonic, direct-to-disc and dbx noise-reduction Most groups would call playing Woodstock and appearing in the '70s biggest musical filmGreasea successful career. 26,293 150 . Very under-appreciated. But you can also hear elements of what would later develop into both the doom and stoner genres. Yes, the Lizard King had officially died three years earlier, but there were some who refused to believed this, and so the story spread. Four Lynyrd Skynyrd members who survived the band's 1977 plane crash connected with a female lead singer, as Southern-rock departed the genre's '70s prime. Their biggest hit was the laconic, steady-rollin Keep On Smilin in 1974, title track to their fourth album. Kracker In excavating these Lost records I will aim to redress this The example of Huey Newtons Black Panthers inspired many other ethnic minorities to rail against the patchwork ethos of American society: Hispanics, Koreans, Italians, Poles and But several of Phil Walden and Capricorn bands deserve mention as not having any national hit songs,Grinderswitch,Cowboy(who composed the1974 Eric Clapton hit song Please be with me, and Donnie McCormick mind-blowing crew from way Southeast Texas Gulf of Mexico act signed by Phil Walden in 1969,also signed to Jerry Wexler and Atlantic Records in September of 1969 and the members of Donnie McCormick act moved to Memphis and recorded and played Memphis for a year finally moving their base to Atlanta where they were closer to Macon Georgia central operations at Capricorn Studio and Records. For good reason. Here are ten great bands who missed out. Finnish rock band formed in 1979, in Helsinki, by Michael Monroe and Andy McCoy was one of the most successful rock bands of the '80s, and the first one to tour Asia. To find out more, click here. Van Dyke Parks - Discover America (Warners 1972). BA1 1UA. As well as the unparalleled joy of keeping the publication alive, you'll receive benefits including exclusive editorial, podcasts, and specially-commissioned music by some of our favourite artists. The cult of obscure records troubles me more when it overshadows the merely less well known. There cant be another decade that has furnished us with such an abundance of great music. A great program for hearing music from the late 6o's to early 70's (The Woodstock era !) I believe that it was a British band and they had a song I believe was called Zambia and the lyric went: Ey Zambia where(d) you hide I could love you if I tried and later in the song: watch them come watch them go eating ice cream in the snow. 25 Huge Bands from the '70s You Totally Forgot Existed, culture in the 1970s is often misremembered, fire-eating, exploding amps, and drum kits engulfed in flames. I have forgotten none of these bands but would like to add Its A Beautiful Day. 311 . Your email address will not be published. 7. They should be on a list like this imo. This 20, 30, and sometimes 40-piece orchestra recorded seven studio albums and were conducted by legendary R&B singerthe one and only Barry White. var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest(); 25 Best Obscure Rock Albums show list info. The list is grouped in three sections: San Francisco Peninsula/North Bay, East Bay, and South Bay. A dirty rotten shame, as Andersons under-exposed vocal talent deserved exposure. Im The One is famous for 'Pony' which people will keep on rediscovering forever, but the avant-torch song cuts on the disc are also fine. This was the point at which the multi-cultural project first floundered. The Struts announce Remember the Name US tour, Kiss squash long-standing rumour that their band name is a Satanic acronym: "We're smart, but we're not that smart", The making of Deep Purple's classic Machine Head: only in the new issue of Classic Rock, Master Of Puppets: The album that changed Metallica forever, Watch Kiss play three classics live on the Howard Stern Show, Every issue delivered direct to your door. Blue Mountain Eagle - S/T. Generations and incarnations later, Boney M has sold 100 million albums to date, and shows no signs of slowing down. There are guitar harmonies here which would grace a Lizzy record, while there are also some hefty nods towards the early Rainbow years. Their No.1 hit "Kiss and Say Goodbye" was the second platinum-selling single in history. There cant be many albums that start with someone elses track, but Discover America kicks off with a large section of Mighty Sparrows 'Jack Parlance'. When I first started following music closely twenty-five years ago, this record was everywhere. When one takes into consideration the budgets and resources available its arguable that recording hasnt been bettered. But after much deliberation, we've compiled a list of what we believe to be the 10 best rock bands of the 60s. Try Jackie Blue (1974), the biggest hit by Missouris Ozark Mountain Daredevils. In as short a time period as three years, Fruup managed to put out four studio albums, and go from a local Belfast band . His second, self-titled, album is so full of beautiful, melodic tunes, tending to the baroque, that its baffling that it only made No.29 in the US in 1970. Talent? From the genius mind of the late Marc Bolan, this folk duo-turn-glam rock monster band, have so many good songs it's unfair, 1972's "Bang a Gong (Get it On)" being the most successful, but hardly the track of the band's catalog worth listening to. 70s, 80s and 90s. Dont forget: Pablo Cruise, Moon Martin, Tarney Spencer Band, Sniff n Tears, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and so many more. 1 with "Want Ads," and ceased to exist by 1973. You can hear the threads of so many different styles here, such as thrash, doom and stoner, and Night Sun were definitely pioneers. Holly is one of my 80's pop music icons. ), this lots legacy is an astonishing 1976 self-titled, five song album. In the same way that The Selecter would be unequivocally described as a Rock group, so I think, should Cymande. He ropes in George Duke and Jean Luc Ponty on Over-nite Sensation and damn near outplays em both. 1 in the final weeks of the 1970s, helping to usher in a new wave of music for a new decade. Formed in 1970, and taking their name from the chemical formula for phosphorous pentoxide, the four had a progressive bent, plus mystical tendencies. The LP named Drinking Mans Friend became a long-term LP as Records show 500,000 units were manufactured in many attempts but a 3rd LP was rejected 3 or 4 times by Capricorn What ought to be more noted, however, are the heartfelt and distinctive vocals of Pat Moran, who went on to produce Iggy Pop, among many others. Anyone my age in the UK grew up with a rock press that dictated Beefheart good, Zappa bad. Strangely though it seems to have receded into the collective unconscious. From little-heard releases by artists you're familiar with (Steve Miller Band, Jerry Lee Lewis) to obscure rockers (the Insect Trust, Autosalvage) and even one group that never existed here. But are the 2010s only about Adele and Ed Sheeran? For me they are not forgotten, they just have not yet been discovewred by the modern listeners who do not know what they have missed. A multitude more were kept on roster in the hope; their creativity subsidised by bigger acts. That, scorned by purists, it was more of a Jazz Funk album with a heavy presence of synthesisers, and that Folk rocker John Martyn played all over it, leads me to conjecture that actually its a rock record not a million miles from Brand Xs territory. Another notable guitar band were Wishbone Ash, though they went one further, with the double lead axes and vocals of Andy Powell and Ted Turner mesmerizing fans. Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight (Island 1974)**. Several live recordings by the Capricorn engineer sound crews ended up as bootlegs which resulted in the band desire for a release which was very measly signed late in 1974 resulted in the almost immediate signing by GRC Records and the 3rd national attempts. Post 60s/70s rock. 2. Blues Magoos - Electric Comic Book. 1. Here is the intro and an extract on Rock Fusion. "Video Killed The Radio Star" was a hit on the charts in 1979, and, ironically, the first music video aired on MTV in 1981. That's true of the top six songs on our Lost Factor calculations of the 100 most-lost songs of the 1970s. Yes! The then released their 3rd l.p. on G R C called E Q T resulting in a double regional hit one rock No Rollin Boogie one country. These English new wavers had something to say about the late-'70s merger of television and music. xhr.setRequestHeader('Content-Type', 'text/plain;charset=UTF-8'); My other favourite band is the Abyssinians. The Great Lost American Prog Band of the 70s. just saying. Missing Badfinger. Hilarious. While the sixties might be seen principally as belonging to the single, after The Beatles Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) and Honorable mention: Dixon Cocks, Dookie Twinkle, Dr. Bobs Nightmare, Drippy Dick and the Knob Nibblers, Eichmanns Undies, POCO, NGDB, Quicksilver, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band, Michael Nesmith and First National Bank. 8) Moby Grape To find out more, click here. Their imaginative eponymous debut (1975) adapted a Kurt Vonnegut poem for the single Nice, Nice, Very Nice, while Holdin On To Yesterday, an orchestrated beauty with the sort of beat now regarded as a downtempo groove, was a big US hit. This hard-rock classic is definitely a must-hear. Another only-in-the-70s enigma, this German-based Euro-Caribbean band's hits were staples at every disco party. This British quartet took the harder road, shunning synths and disco balls in favor of loud guitars and stage effects that included fire-eating, exploding amps, and drum kits engulfed in flames. 7 in 1975). NO! Tony Joe White said the Donnie McCormick was his favorite performer as drummer,singer,and band leader. And should you think T2 is just a movie, you havent heard Itll All Work Out In Boomland, a legendary progressive album that should have made stars of the trio that recorded it. Ten easy ways to be the safest driver on the road. And Delicate Adversary could be Molly Hatchet gone insane. We The People is this funky mamas strongest disc and well worth a listen. For the full blast of their grittily funky rock, however, try the previous years superb live set, Drippin Wet. Forgotten? Bath ), the unwary might have mistaken it for a Jethro Tull ditty thanks to the flute of Thijs Van Leer, though his group were very different. In 1974, this lot released debut album Phantoms Divine Comedy Part 1, and it sparked rumours that Jim Morrison was actually fronting a mysterious new band. Camel 70s bands like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath and Blue yster Cult bestrode the globe like musical colossi, selling records my the million, elevating popular music to another level, and setting the template for anyone who subsequently picked up a guitar or screamed into a hairbrush in front of a The best of these is the 1978 debut Los Cuatro Jinetes Del Apocalpsis. Now it's time to see how well you remember the glamorous decade because we are betting that you totally forgot about these once-huge bands from the '70s. First album to me is home. Label boss, former Cathedral singer and late 60s/early 70s music aficionado Lee Dorrian picks the best forgotten prog-psych albums of the 1960s The past few years have seen a rapid rise in interest in underground British rock music of the late 60s/early 70s. 6 Uriah Heep Uriah Heep are an English rock band formed in London in 1969 that was one of the top rock bands in the early 1970s. Louder is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Like a drum solo that just wont stop, Niagara comprises only two tracks of polyrhythmic faux-tribal splendor. Were talking about Rock. Many consider Shawn Phillips one the best kept secrets of the 70s. 25,666 60 Nostalgic (Early 2000s) Children's TV Shows. Almost totally ignored by the younger generation. Oh, and they had 11 top five hits in four years and sold 50 million records. Blodwyn Pig with Abrahams, Foghat and their Rock&Roll (or Stone&Bun?) The bands label, Capitol, capitalised on this, until there was a threat of legal action. . Yes, ELP, Mike Oldfield and Genesis did prog for educated chaps. KING (70's was his best music) B. J. Thomas Babe Ruth The Babys Bachman Turrner Overdrive Bad Company Badfinger Band, The (The Band) Barbara Streisand Barry White Bay City Rollers Beach Boys Beaver Brown Band Bee Gees Belamy Brothers Big Star Bill Haley & His Comets Bill Withers Billy Joel Billy Preston Black Oak . And spare a thought for the Illinois singer-songwriter Emitt Rhodes, a multi-tracking one-man-band given the tag of the new Paul McCartney. Gulp. Over time the picture of the music of the seventies has become unmistakably redrawn. Axl Rose is an anagram for oral sex, and his real name is William Bailey. The Beatles quit, glam came along T.Rex, Bowie, Slade; in the background, Floyd, Zeppelin and Sabbath sold squillions of records as 70s rock icons. through the subsequent decade, perhaps even until New Orders 'Blue Monday' (1983), the LP became the vehicle for self-styled artistic visionaries. This playful British band with a bizarre moniker, led by Ray Dorset, had a fondness for skiffle music and the blues. FUSE from Rockford, Pete Brown and Piblokto: poetical Cream, Toe Fat where Cliff Bennet sang but Ken Hensley (ex Gods, future Uriah Heep) played the guitar. "Old Stone Road" is a great Doors song for people who've heard all the other Doors songs and want more. At which point the album and band disappeared. At the opposite end of the fame spectrum, British 70s rock band Brinsley Schwarz, named after their guitarist, were famously over-hyped when flown to NYC to open at the Fillmore East in front of a gaggle of music hacks, but settled into a low-key country-rock and roots vibe that was a cornerstone of London pub-rock. } ); probably were. Punk rebelled, then came post-punk and Joy Division, plus 2-Tone. Forgotten Favorites-Obscure '70s & '80s hard rock, prog, and metal! Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, These are 20 rock albums that we loved in the Seventies from Mitch Ryder to Twiggy, from Kate Hudsons father to Paul McCartneys brother that have gone largely unheard in recent decades but still deserve to be played loud. Most members went on to success, notably bassist and songwriter Nick Lowe, who produced The Damned and Elvis Costello, was part of Dave Edmunds Rockpile, and wrote Dr. Feelgoods biggest hit, Milk And Alcohol. Another downbeat hero, Scottish guitarist Miller Anderson, breathed blues-fuelled fire into records by Keef Hartley Band, Savoy Brown, Ian Hunter, Jon Lord, and many more. 31. The band itself continues to soldier on, too, even collaborating with Elton John and Lady Gaga in 2018. A Florida folk rocker who served the quiet, writerly side of the dancing decade, Lobo's uniqueness didn't go unappreciated, as he rose to the top of the Adult Contemporary charts with tales of love, loss, and a dog named Boo. Love White Witch as well as Captain Beyond! Motley Crue - Vince, Tommy, Mick and Nikki make up, for me, the best metal band to come out of the 80s. So while other subcultures turned in on themselves, the shift in Sly Stones output from Stand to A list of Underrated, Obscure And Cult Heavy Metal Bands mainly from the end 70's To Start 90's most from the Golden 80,s era . Pretty Things , Cochise Hard Meatan endless list really and all quality. No, not the Eye Of The Tiger lot. The band fell apart while recording the second album, as it became obvious their musical and philosophical aspirations were not going to give them sustainable commercial impact. For example, you've probably heard the classics "American Pie" by Don McLean or "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum despite not knowing any of their other songs or discography. Country Joe McDonald, Judee Sill, Tracy Nelson & Mother Earth, Andrew Gold, David Blue, Gypsy, The Hoodoo Rhythm Devils, Sutherland Brothers & Quiver, Wendy Waldman, Barefoot Jerry, Grinderswitch, The Section, Pousette-Dart Band, Ian Matthews, Orleans, Dory Previn, Wet Willie, Black Oak Arkansas, Al Stewart, Ian Thomas, Cowboy, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Danny OKeefe, Renaissance. Your email address will not be published. Illinois Speed Press And Then There Was David Lindley, See the Beths Deliver Refreshing 'Expert in a Dying Field' Mini-Set on 'CBS Mornings', SNL Weekend Update Roasts Dilbert Creator Scott Adams for Racist Rant, SNL Goes After Fox News, CPAC, and the MyPillow Guy in Cold Open. I've been looking for bands that don't have members that later became famous that rocked but never made it big. In the UK, hot on the heels of Enoch Powells inflammatory Rivers of blood speech there was a similar splintering of racial consensus which was exacerbated by the economic malaise afflicting many Western countries. Saw Barclays James Harvest in concert three times. I know its not much..but who knowsmaybe someone remembers the song and perhaps the name of the band. updated about 1 year ago. One of the decade's key events, the oil embargo of the OPEC Arab nations in defiance of states with a perceived bias in favor of Israel, cut to the heart of insatiable demand for the long-player. Thanks for the laugh. Theres certainly an strong element of krautrock in the sound, but it is altogether heavier. Heres Little Richard: The Georgia Peach In All His 1957 Glory, Best Bobby Womack Songs: 20 R&B Essentials, The Rolling Stones, With A 1971 Tour, Say Goodbye To Britain, Dazzle Ships: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Darks Cold War Classic, Old Time Rock & Roll: The Story Behind Bob Segers Classic Rock Hit, How ABBA Conquered All With The Waterloo Album, Listen To JAWNYs New Album Its Never Fair, Always True, The Cranberries Everybody Else Is Doing It Turns 30 With Dolby ATMOS Mixes, Frank Zappas Zappa 80: Mudd Club/Munich Live Album Is Out Now, The Mavericks Release In Time (10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition), Listen To Chiiilds New Album Better Luck In The Next Life, Skaiwater Reinterprets Rave, Releases It As New Project Rave (NC), Dillon Francis Recruits Zomboy And Knock2 For Remixes, Rushs Signals Celebrates 40 Years With Super Deluxe Edition, Finding Their Way: Why Rushs Debut Album Was Built To Last, reDiscover Gongs Expresso II: The Album That Introduced The Pierre Moerlen Era, follow the Prog Rocks playlist on Spotify. Hotel California (2013 Remaster) The Eagles band was formed in 1971 in Los Angeles and has been one of the best performing rock bands since the early 1970s. Sea of Tranquility 80.4K subscribers Subscribe 659 Save 31K views 3 years ago Join host Pete Pardo as he discusses some. Even today at the high end of recording the era forms a notional benchmark of lavishness. Trapeze, Bogart, Appice and Lange, McGuinness Flint, The Family Aposolitic, 10cc, Shivas Head Band, etc. Uriah Heep is my favourite band, incidentally, but luckily they are too prolific to call forgotten. Bloodrock, Man, Hot Tuna, Amon Duul II, Stories, James Gang,Cochise,Foghat, Stillwater,Marshall Tucker Band,Max Webster,Mountain,Ten Years After,Dream Police,Poco,Buffalo Springfield. The truth is that almost no high-quality progressive rock came out of the United States in the 70's that achieved any significant level of popularity or notoriety. if( navigator.sendBeacon ) { "All the Way from . Custard Cannons. Tackhead This is one of the bands from the 80s that is not entirely defunct. However, more than any music, one dominated the media landscape to the extent that Greil Marcus noted that it became an ordinary social fact, like a commute or a highway construction project. How many of these top 25 "Best Hard Rock Albums You've (Probably) Never Heard" from mos-def.net have you listened to? Scoring warm soul-styled hits in the 80s, these alluring soft rockers are still touring. for 70s its krautrock bands and caterburry bands, for 60s, its frank zappa, beefheart, syd barett, tim buckley, jefferson airplane. Malcolm Dome had an illustrious and celebrated career which stretched back to working forRecord Mirrormagazine in the late 70s andMetal Furyin the early 80s before joiningKerrang!