The other thing was he wanted to get settled with the job. I mean, youre his brother; you would want to believe more than anyone. He had the superficialities of radicalism, but that's what appealed to him: the sense of belonging, of being very serious. What do you do with his pistol? One was he wanted to get his manuscript typed up and written. It's good that people raise questions and say, "Wait a minute, let's take a second look at this." One in this documentary series. tapes & transcripts+credits+privacy policy December 4, 1963: In an interview Lee Harvey Oswald's mother, Marguerite Oswald, says assumes her son is innocent and that President John F. Kennedy would be alive and so would her son if Oswald . He was toying with them. I asked him, I said, "Lee, what in the Sam Hill is going on?" This montage of early 1990s television specials was curated by the JFK Assassination Forum. He was assuming everything was being recorded, and, unfortunately, it wasn't. They've got the camera. What did he do? They're not progressing at the speed I think he wants to progress. And his disenchantment began to morph into a kind of anger and frustration. How would he have reacted to that? I dont know at what age Mother verbalized the effect that she felt he was a burden to her. As far as Lee giving any information to the Russians while he was over there, even though he said he would if they had asked, apparently they weren't interested in it. If it was any other murder case other than the president of the United States, it would have been resolved right then. Explore FRONTLINEs collected and ongoing reporting on Russia's war on Ukraine. Find out in the 2015 documentary Outbreak, newly available to stream on FRONTLINEs YouTube channel. The book's findings will catapult you into a trip through a house . About October 1962 things were not going along too good. He was seeming to be pretty adamant about it. (TV) Summary. Theyve got the original negative. Somehow, somebody never realized what the Sam Hill was going on. But when you take the second look and the third and the 40th and the 50th, hey, enough's enough. Were talking seven, eight, nine, 10 years old. I think the way Lee learned New York was just apply himself to it. He gave it to me either the first or second night to read. I didn't know -- but I think that was his posture all along, with the interrogators. But then, Oct. 31, we hear that hes in Russia. I was just completely in the dark. Seleccionar el departamento en el que deseas buscar. But he became disgusted with it and started rebelling against it, because he wanted to go back to a more independent attitude. In comparison to yourself, what was Lee missing from his childhood? I struggled through about 10 or 15 pages of it. What do you do with his rifle? Buscar Amazon.es. Saturday, Nov. 23, 1963. I had to ask him very serious questions. He says he got that at the theater, and they hadnt been mistreating him since then. This was a part of his character, that inner self, that we used to say, Me, myself and I will do something.. It's always a friend or a woman. Lee's trying. If somebody passed out a leaflet on the street that contained a political statement for Marxism or communism or what have you, and if Lee had not run across that before, I could envision him looking at it, keeping it and saying, "Well, I wonder what this is all about." But the diminutive nineteen-year-old Marine was serious. And that process, that pattern was the same one that had occurred over and over in his life, and that was to attempt to settle in. But he had said he was going to give the Russians any information he had, and it seemed like he did. If they didn't know who worked for them, he could always say he worked for them; he was in control of the FBI then. He wants to "do like Hemingway." Yes, I think that there is a process here, in the same way there had been a process in the Soviet Union, in the same way there'd been a process in the Marines, and the same way there'd been a process coursing through his adolescence. But she certainly conveyed it to John and I at very early ages. He wasnt present when they took a head count [at the Texas School Book Depository]. No, he was a superficial Marxist. He's already tried living with Mother for about a week to 10 days, and that went the way it usually goes. You see him for a few days when he gets out [of the Marines]. Sat, Feb 25, 2023 LOGIN Subscribe for $1 Consequently, people left it wide open. In his interview with FRONTLINE, Blakey calls the prosecution case against Lee Harvey Oswald "open and shut." He said no, he wanted that one up there. When Lee came back to Fort Worth, what kind of spirits was he in, and what kind of hopes did he have for his new life here? I didnt press it any further. As this realization deepens and becomes more omnipresent and more unavoidable, he feels a greater and greater need to get out, to escape. This interview was conducted in 1993 in conjunction with Frontline's first broadcast of "Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald? Radio Talk Show Host, Bob Allen Can you summarize what the atmosphere was like there that Saturday, and what you made of it? Consequently, people left it wide open. He failed at both. Theres another seed thats planted in him that stayed there forever. He indicated that, if reporters were asking about when hes coming back, to say nothing He wanted not to be bothered by the reporters. But you go back to the death of Dad two months before he was born, thats a tremendous impact. He was in control. Due to a planned power outage on Friday, 1/14, between 8am-1pm PST, some services may be impacted. The mind tells me one thing, and the heart tells me something else. Upon his return to the United States, was there a particular moment where Oswald decided to act violently? It's there; put it to rest. What was he expecting when he went to the Soviet Union? Providing exclusive original content and interviews with some of the best known voices in the world of economics and precious metals. One individual gave him a letter saying he could speak and write Russian at a particular level that he thought was real good. There's a great deal of self-involvement, there's a great deal of desire to elevate himself, to become this world-historical figure. So consequently, he calls me up and he tells me that they're moving to Dallas. To me, you can't reach but one conclusion. web pages The fact that he could put on a facade and pretend to be somebody he wasnt to me, it gets down to what happened later on. He didn't elaborate on that. We're talking seven, eight, nine, 10 years old. What do you do with his pistol? At what age Lee started gathering this, or sensing it, or hearing it and applying it to him, I don't know. His wife is trying to have a second child born in Russia. I would love to be able to say that Lee was not involved in any way whatsoever, or much less to the extent that I believe that he was. Biden Should Remove Cuba from List of State Sponsors of Terrorism, Descendants of Slaveholder Donor Denounce Law School Name Change, How Social Media and Community Schools Could Fill in Gaps Teaching Black History, American Girl Dolls Declare the 1990s Ancient History, Review: DeSantis's Book is a Campaign Tome Written by ChatGPT, Reconsidering Phillis Wheatley's Place in the Revolutionary Era, Philosopher Lewis Gordon's Impact on Black Jewish History, Quintard Taylor's Black Past Project Fights Erasure of History, Review: The Unfinished Business of "Double V", One Reason to Confirm National Archivist Fast? I think this was passed on to Lee. Can you describe that for me? Everything is deteriorating. We also talked about her time as a reporter in Moscow in 1959 when she met 20-year-old American defector Lee Harvey Oswald in her hotel. Hola Elige tu direccin Todos los departamentos. . What do you mean? In fact, she is quick to get moving on the bureaucratic process involved in that to emigrate. He was toying with them. Hed made some contacts within the Russian community in Fort Worth and in Dallas. It didnt seem like a big deal. We had an old black-and-white. Visitors can watch a large bank of television sets recalling the Kennedy assassination and Lee Harvey Oswald's capture. Soviet officials, puzzled by the sight of Oswald, sent him to Minsk, where he would live until 1962, returning to the United States with a wife and infant daughter, along with a murderous rage that will culminate in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas on November 22, 1963. With each failure to settle in, with each failure to secure a job or hold onto that job, with each failure to secure an apartment or placate his wife, to build any kind of life with each failure, his internal pressure mounts. I know he wanted to travel. On Nov. 22, [1963] it went way downhill. Although that was Marguerite Oswald's first network television interview in many years, we were not the first journalists to speak with her. WDSU-TV interviews Lee Harvey Oswald in 1963 when he was living in New Orleans. In your mind, are there questions about whether Lee shot President Kennedy? When Lee is discharged, early discharge in September 1959, he returns to Fort Worth for about three days. Walker and, still chewing his cigar, Detective Paul Bentley, on Nov. 22, 1963. If somebody passed out a leaflet on the street that contained a political statement for Marxism or communism or what have you, and if Lee had not run across that before, I could envision him looking at it, keeping it and saying, Well, I wonder what this is all about. This might have been the first leaflet that he ever got from anybody on the street. What do you do with his rifle? He'd made some contacts within the Russian community in Fort Worth and in Dallas. New book by Hoover fellow recounts his experiences knowing JFK's assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald. Later in the day, after driving into town with his two pet dogs and sending an emergency money order to one of his employees, Ruby walked to the nearby police headquarters, where he made his way to the basement via the Main Steet ramp. Only weeks earlier, he had visited Soviet. He moves into his own apartment and everything. Jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Jon L. Hagler Foundation. I've managed to keep it quiet." I think that's an understatement. The Soviets executed him on May 17, 1963. That's the way I read him at the time. I don't know. Youve got the backyard picture. He wasnt political. Hes going to fit in to where he needs to fit in to accomplish what he needs to accomplish what is very essential to get by with, to be somebody. Even fifty years later, Oswald's Minsk period remains understudied, despite the fact that Oswald's time in the Soviet Union was the longest period of stability in his life. I'm talking about the police officer being shot and the president. He finally got a job that wasnt exactly what he really wanted, but it was a start. You see him for a few days when he gets out [of the Marines]. What do you do with his actions? It was wall-to-wall reporters, police officers, FBI, Secret Service. With regard to his return home from Russia in June 1962 with his family -- what did he tell you about reporters meeting him, and what do you think it really meant? I said, "If that never came about, if you didn't really betray the country and you only attempted to do it -- and they didn't let you do it anyway -- legally, then it seems to me you have a basis." Why do you think that so many Americans still cannot accept that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin of John F. Kennedy. True, no one saw him actually pull the trigger on the president but his presence in the building was there. He did not and would not talk to any of the interrogators about anything of substance. FRONTLINE+wgbh+pbsi, web site copyright 1995-2014 It was a terrible thing to look at. Hes getting a better opportunity, he thinks, in Dallas, because its a bigger job market over there than what Fort Worth was at the time. Oswald lacked the historical or political consciousness of a genuine radical. She is wanting to go back to Russia. He is the older brother of Lee Harvey Oswald, and a former Marine and salesman. So then what happens, and how does he get to Dallas? Industries Crime and. But this had nothing to do with an intellectual or ideological coming to terms with some kind of intellectual maturation, although Oswald tried to explain it that way. Photographs and documents also are on display. Marina Oswald and her mother-in-law, Marguerite Claverie Oswald, are seen through a window at the Dallas police station where her husband, Lee Harvey Oswald was being held in the. If Ukrainian intelligence did penetrate Putin's inner circle, Budanov would have never publicly blurted it out. So he's very upbeat up on it. You've got the backyard picture. I think he was surprised when he stepped off the plane in Dallas Field he asked me, What, no reporters? I said, Yes. What was going on there? Also, he was put into an apartment that was a short walk from the Institute for Foreign Languages in Minsk, where one would meet girls who were studying English and were interested in foreigners, and were probably more adventurous, you might say. I dont know. Oswald met Marina in March of 1961, and he immediately sees in Marina the antidote to Ella German, who had really broken his heart. But then, Oct. 31, we hear that he's in Russia. He had fallen deeply for Ella, and he had proposed to her and she had said no, and he saw in Marina somebody who was meant to distract him and carry him forward. His mother had the same type of imagination. He was using his own imagination. After the assassination you see Lee in the police station, in the jail. [Last Name] 1 Dawson C. Mills [4/26/2017] Ghosts of Mississippi Essay Late on the night of June 13th 1963, Myrlie Evers and her three children were together in the bedroom watching President ( at the time ) John F. Kennedy give a speech on civil rights. I think it's fair to say the Kennedy assassination had very little to do with John F. Kennedy. Youve got all the physical evidence that ties together. Oswald met and married Marina in the Soviet. I think it says that he is very pragmatic, and he's going to go with the punches. So you're saying, in a sense, he is the ultimate pragmatist? How can you explain one without the other? Hes failing in his marriage and in his attempts to do whatever he wants to do. From Russia, he had written you, saying that he was worried about charges being brought against him when he came back. The jobs not doing that good. Can you summarize what the atmosphere was like there that Saturday, and what you made of it? He's failing at almost every level. I had to ask him very serious questions. The first thing he says is and he points to it Its tapped. I tell him it may or may not be. In comparison to yourself, what was Lee missing from his childhood? I'd love to do that, but you cannot. He had the presence of mind then to do that. He says he got that at the theater, and they hadn't been mistreating him since then. With John F. Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, Nigel Barber, Raymond Burns. What kind of a Marxist was he? Interview'The defense actually made a pretty good case' Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald on live TV, yet his trial was no slam dunk In new book 'Kennedy's Avenger,' Dan Abrams and David. Chapter 1: Summary and Conclusions Chapter 2: The Assassination Chapter 3: The Shots from the Texas School Book Depository Chapter 4: The Assassin Chapter 5: Detention and Death of Oswald Chapter 6: Investigation of Possible Conspiracy Chapter 7: Lee Harvey Oswald: Background and Possible Motives Chapter 8: The Protection of the President There is no question in my mind that Lee was responsible for the three shots fired, two of the shots hitting the president and killing him. And that's all it was. He could project this type of image, and he did; he tried to. You've got all the physical evidence that ties together. None took him seriously. He only had the Marxist argot. In his new book, The Interloper: Lee Harvey Oswald Inside the Soviet Union Peter Savodnik, a journalist who lived and worked in Moscow and has extensively traveled around the former Soviet Union, dives into the foreign life of America's most notorious assassin. And in this place, he would join this much larger-than-life cause, and he would break permanently with the United States, and he would live happily every after in the Soviet Union. Historically in his life, it was always done by himself. Be the first one to, Reporter That Interviewed Lee Harvey Oswald In Moscow, ReporterThatInterviewedLeeHarveyOswaldInMoscow, Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, ALINE MOSBY SPEAKING IN PARIS ABOUT INTERVIEWING LEE HARVEY OSWALD IN MOSCOW IN 1959.mp4, Reporter That Interviewed Lee Harvey Oswald in Moscow.mp4, ALINE MOSBY SPEAKING IN PARIS ABOUT INTERVIEWING LEE HARVEY OSWALD IN MOSCOW IN 1959.ogv, Reporter That Interviewed Lee Harvey Oswald in Moscow.ogv, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). You had said that he had very much been on his own in New York. He had an interesting experience and he had a Russian wife. He found a spot, not very far, from where Walker was. 49K views 9 years ago WDSU-TV interviews Lee Harvey Oswald in 1963 when he was living in New Orleans. This interview was conducted in 1993 in conjunction with Frontline's first broadcast of "Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald?" That's where he started doing a lot of reading and everything. The other thing was he wanted to get settled with the job. I think the way Lee learned New York was just apply himself to it. She could really become somebody from New York real easy when she's in Texas, putting on the air[s], whatever you call it. This would have to be at the federal level. Describe a typical day in Oswald's Minsk. Included is an interview with Abraham Zapruder, the clothing manufacturer and amateur moviemaker who shot the now . Lee had high hopes when he first got back as to what he was going to do. Saltar al contenido principal.es. That's almost unbelievable. Selecteer de afdeling waarin je wilt zoeken. . Can you sort of talk about that character trait? He would awaken relatively early in his apartment, and he would walk about eight minutes to the radio factory where he worked in the experimental department, and he probably would have been there until late afternoon or early evening, ate dinner, he might have read a good bit -- he was fond of reading -- visited friends, gone to the conservatory or the opera, which was a short walk away from his apartment, and he probably would have retired early. Historian Priscilla Johnson McMillan was a reporter in Moscow in the 1950s and interviewed Lee Harvey Oswald shortly after his defection to the Soviet Union. I wrote him back that, to my knowledge, nothing he has done warrants any charges, because they did not let him accomplish anything over there, i.e., the U.S. Embassy did not accept his citizenship rejection. All these ups and downs hes having, he keeps trying to get up and make it at some level, but hes not succeeding. But Lee had that same personality type. You look at all the data there, and it comes up to one conclusion as far as Im concerned the Warren Commission was correct. Oswald had lived in Russia for three years at the height of the Cold War.This video, culled from NBC-TV's 11/22/63 coverage, includes Oswald's brief television appearance on New Orleans station WDSU-TV in August of 1963.Portions of this TV interview can be seen in various documentaries and films, but rarely is the entire (but brief) interview ever shown. Saltar al contenido principal.com.mx. Can you sort of talk about that character trait? It's about escaping the status quo and achieving some kind of greatness, as it were. This was something all his own. Definitely not. When Lee came back to Fort Worth, what kind of spirits was he in, and what kind of hopes did he have for his new life here? They even asked me if I'd ever been an agent of the federal government or the CIA." Apparently he'd been planning this for a long time. Oswald in a way sort of set up the disaster that was to come before he even arrived in Moscow. . In 1977, McMillan wrote Marina and Lee, an intimate portrait of the Oswalds' life together. the best way to support us is to become a member at SGTreport.TV or become a SubscribeStar Member Thank you & God bless. Then he joins the Marines, and then he has a lot of people barking at him, a lot of discipline. I don't think he had much experience with women, if any, before moving to the Soviet Union. When Lee came back, how did he react to visits from the FBI when they came and saw him here? Posner also discusses the actions, motivations and mob connections of Jack Ruby, who murdered Oswald. To try to understand why Lee did what he did on Nov. 22 is a cumulative effect of all his past plans and efforts and failures. We were away from Lee during the three years of military school, only seeing him during the summer vacations or holiday-type things. Ga naar primaire content.nl. This was his grand experience at the time. Lees trying. He imagined himself taking part in something bold and totally separate from anything he had come from. I think that the allure of Marxism was its anger. Talk about his mother's importance to him. However, Bolinas author Josiah Thompson says he has answered one very important question. In this interview, Posner talks about the forensic evidence over the years that points to Oswald as the lone assassin and the lack of credible evidence to support the various conspiracy theories. LEE HARVEY OSWALD'S COMPLETE AUGUST 1963 WDSU-TV INTERVIEW David Von Pein's JFK Channel 44.3K subscribers Subscribe 415 71K views 9 years ago Three months before he assassinated President. But my goodness, this is completely out of the ballpark. But he had said he was going to give the Russians any information he had, and it seemed like he did. This was 1959. This was 1959. He was on his own in libraries. . and he just laughed. And you dont know what the Sam Hill is going on?, I became kind of intense at that point, looking into his eyes. What do you do with his actions? After the assassination you see Lee in the police station, in the jail. After the genocide in Rwanda and atrocities in Srebrenica, Bosnia, in the 1990s, the world vowed never again. Then came the conflict in Darfur, Sudan, which began 20 years ago. None took him seriously. He says, "Well, don't you know?" I think he just liked the atmosphere that you could do anything that you wanted to do, that you could imagine you could do. We talked about family matters. When he returned to the United States, he didn't want to be a Russian. We had an old black-and-white. And not only that, but it offered immediate salvation, or immediate asylum. On Nov. 22, [1963] it went way downhill. As Ruby evidently mismanaged the operation, he was given a choice to either finish the job himself or forfeit his life. There is no question in my mind that he also shot Officer Tippit. Theyve gone to the extreme measures to prove that he owned that rifle. He wants to get some experience and write about it. He was a former Marine who had once defected to the Soviet Union. It didn't seem like a big deal. He could project this type of image, and he did; he tried to. He's always under this impression. The Hartford Files ~Sean Corruption; Deep State; News; NWO Tyranny; Politics; EXCLUSIVE: Lee Harvey Oswald . We were away from Lee during the three years of military school, only seeing him during the summer vacations or holiday-type things. But the Marine Corps has got set procedures and so forth to follow. I don't know at what age Mother verbalized the effect that she felt he was a burden to her. He never did answer. Author Norman Mailer, and others, have questioned why Ruby would have left his two beloved dogs in his car if he had planned on killing Oswald at police headquarters.The House Select Committee on Assassinations in its 1979 Final Report opined: Ruby's shooting of Oswald was not a spontaneous act, in that it involved at least some premeditation. He finally got a job that wasn't exactly what he really wanted, but it was a start. You look at the general opportunity -- he was present. It sounds like Oswald's disillusionment stemmed as much from personal as political reasons. The National Archives released almost 1,500 documents including CIA cables and memos on Lee Harvey Oswald in the months before the JFK assassination. It was a game to him. For Oswald, he never ever has a sense of home, or rootedness, and it fills him with this sense of rage, which he not surprisingly directs against his mother. Convinced that his brother was solely responsible for the assassination of John F. Kennedy, Oswald offers details in this interview about Lee's formative years and young adult life, and. Initially, when we started talking, I was concerned about his bruises on his face that he had received at his capture at the Texas theater. When Lee came back, how did he react to visits from the FBI when they came and saw him here? But a new book from world-renowned JFK assassination researcher Josiah "Tink" Thompson comes to a shocking different conclusion: Lee Harvey Oswald did not fire the fatal shot that killed.