The gamine style essence creates a bold, playful image. The essence yang is sharper, cooler, and a bit more unapproachable. The sharp red coat is great for emphasizing the vertical line. - Developed on: 2015-02-27 - 65,667 taken - 12 people like it. Softer textures, opalescent accessories, ombre patternsjust about anything that has an ethereal quality describes this type. Prime celebrity examples include Emma Stone and Marilyn Monroe. 1. Like the circle shape, the romantic silhouette is curvy and round - like an hourglass. Both Kitchener and Kibbe reference Liza Minelli as a hallmark gamine. They are often tall, thin, oval-faced and waif-like, suggesting mythical creatures. E) Mature, attractive, feminine, and glamorous. While it is technically a different system, John Kitchener also uses a yin/yang system to identify your blend of style essences. We will be using all these 7 style essences on the quiz since we also believe these 7 essences exist and they are the most common nowadays. Start the quiz Powered by Did you learn your style essence from this quiz? From there you will not only have a blueprint for what style lines you can harmonize with but also what details and looks from other essence families you can start incorporating into your style. The cozier the better. A) Im usually perceived as a tall, intimidating person (even if im not). Welcome to your essences 101 or 'Kitchener Essences Explained'. You can also subscribe without commenting. The result is an understated look, and timeless designs are characteristic of classic clothing. Soft, flowing garments create movement in the silhouette. Style essences are essentially the harmonious reflection of your inner and outer self and your style lines. The Ethereal essence is feminine, mature, and powerful. 10 Questions - Developed by: Liv Longshore. They appear almost magical in their essence, like a fairy, mermaid, or goddess. The classic style essence creates a formal, elegant image. Yang essences take on styles based on the square shape. I feel powerful in these outfits. Ethereals give off a majestic, and slightly frosty 'out of this world' vibe. Because if we look at Kitcheners definition of natural, I would not fit it at all. E) People either fell threatened by me or find me attractive. Id love for you to look around a little. The most prolific example of style archetypes came from David Kibbe in the 1980s with his book Metamorphosis. As a society, we spend a lot of time and energy scrolling online, looking at others - and inevitably, forming opinions and making judgments about them. WebStart with your own personal style essence! I'm floored by mother nature. Here's me projecting this essence: What makes these outfits 'Gamine' is the cropped, boxy jacket, the boyish shoes, the turtleneck, and color blocking- all of which work to create a staccato effect. Updated: May 17, 2022 We all have a style essence - it is part of our true essence, what we were born with. He would have a yang and a yin Ethereal. Individuals of this style essence have a youthful, innocent appearance. Kitchener himself identifies Jim Henson and Boris Karloff as being significantly angelic. With big boobs! My personal style adjectives however include the words "soft" and "calm" which seem to contradict this. both give thorough overviews of McJimsey's types.). At times they can even appear a bit more conservative in their style. In this post, I'll be doing a visual process of elimination to see which of these seven essences I have by seeing how I look in their characteristic lines and styles. Here's me projecting this essence: What makes this outfit 'Ingenue' is the length of the dress, the flair of the skirt, and the floral print. In Kibbe, Tilda Swinton is pure dramatic because she is yang dominant. B) They find me interesting and always have something to ask. And yang colours are darker and brighter, as these essences are striking. https://www.truth-is-beauty.com/blog/style-identities-part-ii-the-truth-is-beauty-style-identity-system Updated: May 17, 2022 We all have a style essence - it is part of our true essence, what we were born with. Expressing your Truth through harmonious color and style is dressing your Spirit. Angelic clothing styles are fine-textured, draped, wing-like designs. I am a Flamboyant Natural in the Kibbe system and often look best with relaxed, effortless hair and pieces that honor my vertical line. And honestly, I dont know how helpful that would be in finding my best overall outfits and style. :). How do people react when they are near you? Related: Kibbe Dramatic Style Analysis: Tilda Swinton | Kibbe Body Types. **PART ONE**. The romantic style essence is a yin essence. Light Summer Colors While her hair and the silhouette of the dress are slightly more romantic in nature, the leather strap details, makeup, and long flared silhouette harmonize with a dramatic essence. how big is your head in comparison to the rest of your body. What is your style essence? And yin colours are lighter and softer, as these essences are gentler. Watch the John Kitchener style essences intro video. The Romantic Essence has a sensual deep yin essence. The below slip dress is cut for curve- meaning it shapes in at the waist and hugs the hips, plus the very dainty straps, and the bust cups with lace, this slip dress leans much more Romantic or Ingenue Essence than it does a traditional Kibbe FN slip dress. I'm passionate about helping people become their most authentic and beautiful selves.I'm a Soft Autumn and an Ethereal Natural. This style identity fits me perfectly. F) Im usually perceived as delicate and harmless. WebEssence is a similar theory, largely developed by a man named John Kitchener. even if your best colors are say, light spring, some people with very light coloring can pull off more contrast in the actual amount of colors they wear (gamines can pull off lots of colors at once, dramatic essence usually looks They tend to be drawn to extreme fashion and costume. Lets take a look at the seven essences now. Please take the elements from the above chart as a general outline (especially the hair color, skin, and eye color). WebEssence is a similar theory, largely developed by a man named John Kitchener. Fine textures, as well as transparent and iridescent colours, contribute to the ethereal feel. https://www.pinterest.com/lynn2252/, According to Kitchener, my two primary essences are Angelic and Natural. 10-15% of an essence can be used for accessories, 20-40% of an essence can be used for one garment, 50%+ of an essence can be used for an entire outfit. Verdict: Interestingly, I don't have a Romantic Body Type, but I think I have some (non-dominant and non-overt) Romantic essence. Dramatic Style Now, as far as I know, Beyonce has not been Kitchener verified (so this is my opinion! The more to the right we go, the rounder and softer the style essences get (as they approach the circle). how big is your head in comparison to the rest of your body. The Classic Essence is balanced yin and yang. The Dramatic essence is powerful. Heres my deep dive into the romantic essence if you want more information: The Ingenue Essence is a small-scale yin essence. These include Kibbes 5: Dramatic, Natural, Gamine, Classic and Romantic, but also include Ingenue and Angelic/ethereal essence. But dont leave yet! Was completely unattainable for many of us, I'm sure. Yes. January 24, 2023 · Kibbe, Tips & Tricks · 30. C) Im usually perceived as strong (physically) and approachable. However, her overall aesthetic is more polished and timeless than free-flowing. WebThe romantic style essence is a yin essence. But I am personally no longer a Kibbe devotee. 1. Considering the five Kibbe essences of each body type as well as the two additional Kitchener essences has allowed me to explore past the recommended clothing lines for each body type to engage with them more deeply. WebThis style definition was John Kitcheners contribution, and it explains a personality that is refined, delicate, and rarer than the others. The Natural essence is easy-going, down-to-earth, and fresh. 1. The Classic essence will choose timeless pieces with slight construction and shape to them. Both represent refined or abstracted versions of human appearance that we don't usually see walking around. Bones looked bigger, the goddess we had to try to be (in our heads, anyway) was fleshy, sultry, cowboy boots, topless, tanned, dusty-denim-jeans type. C) I guess they are mostly nice to me and dont mind to be themselves around me. I don't know if you've heard the BBC radio play "Neverwhere" but he was cast as the Angel Islington in it, and I remember thinking: that's brilliant. my head looks a bit smaller but not by much. Individuals of this style essence tend to seem like they belong to another age. Fragrances David Kibbe's system, as described in his book Metamorphosis, produces 13 distinct style identities by combining five pre-existing style essences: - Dramatic - Natural - Classic - Romantic - Gamine I've discussed Kibbe's very helpful system before, so I won't go on about it at length here. Style Types Ingenue clothing lines are large, rounded with delicate, ornate, and often childish detailing. The seven essences are ranked on a scale of Yin and Yang. As a matter of fact, you can be a combination of both as per Kitcheners style essences. You can learn more about becoming part of the Dressed My Day community here. Kibbe's book is fantastic. It also references a book that Kitchener recommends entitled Shopping for the Real You. They are often described as delicate with rounded features and bone structure, wide-apart eyes. 1. Thanks for this post, it's very interesting!! And this is where Kibbe and Kitchener can offer some insight. You can discover more about how to dress for your style essence in this post. Yang essences take on styles based on the square shape. WebEssence is a similar theory, largely developed by a man named John Kitchener. my head looks small compared to the rest of my body. The 7 Style Essences Kitchener himself likes to view the yin/yang system as a circle instead of a linear method, which you can see here: youtful= ingenue, high spirited= gamine Dramatic Style Essence The Dramatic Essence is defined as the most yang and theatrical essence. It is important to note that often yang is described as masculine, and yin as feminine. Do I have this essence? C) Depending on the mood, I would stay home or do something chill with my friends. G) I would throw a one person dance party. I think I look good in classic lines, but I don't think they do anything particularly special for me. A style essence can be defined as a fashion style or a type of beauty. WebQuiz Test. The Classic essence is timeless, reserved, sophisticated, and polished. Dramatic clothing lines are long and sharp and fabrics are stiff, creating an altogether sleek, sculpted, and elongated look. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Is there a higher quality image of the style essences chart you made? *Write down all the letters of your response. The Natural body type is defined by soft yang and is the overall combination of a slightly broad and angular structure, with a defined musculature- think of an athlete. Natural style lines were at one point-yes- just functional. The Dramatic style essence is the theatrical bold yang essence. They included 5 main families: The wildly popular Kibbe System is composed of 10 different IDs that fit into 5 main styles families. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Classics clothing breathes timelessness and formal elegance, neutral colours and simple designs. Your email address will not be published. Soft, flowing garments create movement in the silhouette. According to Kitchener, this is the general breakdown of how to use your essence distribution. They have an elegant feel with even features and often exude timeless style. Each essence creates a certain image, which is designed to enhance a particular type of beauty: The dramatic style essence is the most yang essence, its particular kind of yang being theatrical yang. Or perhaps it's because women who research style analysis online are often intuitive, introverted types, and Ethereal kind of embodies introversion and intuitiveness? Ethereal lines are long and flowing, anything that adds to the sense of flying or floating away (as angels would). Silhouettes should be fitted and compact with waist emphasis. Learn more about the ingenue style essence. Stronger Complementary Essence: 1 garment of your outfit. This means the vibe or feeling you give off from your facial and body features. David Kibbe's system, as described in his book Metamorphosis, produces 13 distinct style identities by combining five pre-existing style essences: - Dramatic - Natural - Classic - Romantic - Gamine I've discussed Kibbe's very helpful system before, so I won't go on about it at length here. This addition plus his insistence that ingenue remain a part ultimately rounded out the identity system itself to be more inclusive. This is the only type of beauty that shines through the absence of sentiment. They look fantastic in luxurious silk textures and fabrics that hug the body. Are you an eclectic, elegant, rebellious, dramatic, classic, romantic or natural? These include Kibbes 5: Dramatic, Natural, Gamine, Classic and Romantic, but also include Ingenue and Angelic/ethereal essence. Kibbe felt ingenue had no place in a system with grown adults so he eliminated it and created his own variations of the style archetypes McJimsy had laid out. I'm inclined to agree with you here. Your blend is really interesting. Verdict: Interestingly, I may have a Dramatic Body Type, but I don't have the essence. The ingenue essence has a youthful appearance. For a complete deep dive on how to dress with an angelic/ethereal essence, check out my video: If you want to have your essences professionally typed and get your exact percentages, John Kitchener offers online analysis here. Romantics give off a sexy 'come and get it vibe'. I am quite surprised at how much I love these lines on me. They may come off as intimidating and domineering. Maybe your article will help me to confirm this. 4. We can see her opt for flowing dresses or relaxed hairstyles on occasion, but most of her style influence is classic in nature. And also I'd like to see that part II of this amazing piece. This was very interesting. So excited for this! B) Have people over for dinner and boardgames. (Even though it's not particularly common.) Find style tips, outfit inspiration, and fashion trend updates here. Hi Rachel, are you seeing this want for Angelic across the age groups? I was so in thrall to this image, and had no idea it was a perfected collage of what was actually out there to some extent - I think more of us were Natural body types - but, by crikey, was it a sexualised, extra gorgeous version. Romantic Style Yang shapes are large, straight and have sharper edges. So while physical traits are certainly important, they can be interpreted differently based on your blend. They don't feel awkward or completely separate from me. Style essences are a way to complement your Kibbe Body Type clothing lines. You are my go to resource for understanding color. This style essence communicates formality and timeless elegance. Check out my deep dive into the ingenue essence here: The Angelic Essence is the most yin and ethereal essence. We may earn a commission from you clicking a link in this post. The other two that are repeated the most are your complementary essences. Celebrities For example, you can get 5 B, 4 E and 2 C. Which means youre a Gamine with Ingenue and a little bit of Natural. She postures that all aspects of personality and every detail of appearance, woven into an integrated whole, must be taken into account and that some of these traits are felt rather than easily explained. When answering the quiz, keep in mind what kind of clothing doesnt make you feel like yourself in them, and which ones look like they are separated from you. Bright Spring Colors The Romantic style essence is the sensual deep yin essence. 1. You can discover more about how to dress for your style essence in this post. The ingenue style essence is another yin essence, but its type of yin is decorative small-scale yin. WebQuiz Test. Welcome to your essences 101 or 'Kitchener Essences Explained'. kitchener style essences quiz Read the soul rain panegyrics. Web"Color is an expression aliveness. Ingenue clothing styles include decorative florals, vintage clothing and things in miniature. Watch the John Kitchener style essences intro video. In fact, when he types individuals, he will present them with a percentage for each of their essences. As a society, we spend a lot of time and energy scrolling online, looking at others - and inevitably, forming opinions and making judgments about them. Its a community for fashion aficionados and for the newly fashion-obsessed to come together on a shared love and interest. I know this comment is old but I had the same question. The seven essences are ranked on a scale of Yin and Yang. WebWhat colors and designs bring out the best in you? If were a good match, consider subscribing to my emails so youll never miss a post. Quiz. I also think of them as prim and proper and buttoned up. I am here to make a planetary difference so that each person experiences themselves as Harmony." Hope you create awesome outfits that will make you feel like your best self. Web"Color is an expression aliveness. F) People smile at me and always are willing to help me. Lets go over some of these differences. This style essence communicates an easy-going nature and adventure. The romantic style essence creates a sensual, mature image. These are not my best lines. In Kitchener, Marilyn Monroe is said to have a 50/50 romantic/ingenue essence. 10 Questions - Developed by: Liv Longshore. It is described as a casual and sportivelook. Find out your color seasonand style type! And Kitchener adds in that extra missing puzzle piece of what clothing pieces and clothing styles harmonize with your exact yin/yang balance and overall vibe. Here's me projecting this essence: What makes these outfits 'Natural' is the loose fits, the gentle colors, the textured fabrics, and the overall easy-going feel. It is something outside yourselfit is what you project. Im healing and feel like I have a new lease on life, so its time to get stylish again and create a new wardrobe. They can also have a tall, waif-life appearance, and sometimes an oval-shaped face. Classic Ingenue -- The Class President, Dramatic Ingenue -- The Childlike Czarina, Ethereal Classic -- The Delicate Sophisticate, Ethereal Natural -- The Earth Goddess, Natural Ingenue -- The Outdoorsy Sweetheart, Romantic Classic -- The Sexy Sophisticate, Romantic Ingenue -- The Demure Seductress, Romantic Natural -- The Babe Next Door, Style Identities, Part I: There Are Seven Basic Essences. Dark Autumn Colors Soft, flowing garments create movement in the silhouette. Outside of the Kibbe system, we count seven pure style essences: Do I have this essence? Kitchener's system adds two more essences to this list, Ingenue and Ethereal. So helpful though! Remember also what we said about the manifestation of yang. I'm not a girly girl or overly delicate in the way I understand this essence to call for. How To: Find Your Body Type Using Kitchener + Kibbe Style Essences. We would like you to know that this isnt about beauty. No. Individuals of this style essence tend to be short with compact body types, typically have boyish looks, and tend to be energetic and impish. So, what is a style essence? Take this quiz to find out! McJimsey believed you could be a composite of types. Find out with our quiz! Tom Hiddleston, Viggo Mortensen, Paul Bettany, Macaulay Culkin, Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch. Here we can even see a natural essence with a touch of classic essence as well. These percentages can then be applied to your style by using them as guidelines for your head-to-toe look. Hair So just because youre a super sweet person doesnt mean you cant have a dramatic essence. If you could describe yourself with one of these pictures, what would it be? It's present in the work of much earlier analysts such as Harriet McJimsey,whose wonderful book, (Obviously, this book is crazy expensive. Each essence has a particular type of yin or yang - depicted through a particular shape - which expresses a certain type of beauty. Most systems insist that everyone is one pure type. Which actresses/celebrities have you now, or in the past, felt a kinship to, or just liked a lot? However, I play with trends and dramatic silhouettes often, and sometimes embrace intricate details and romantic silhouettes. Yin and Yang. His Theatrical Romantic type and his Soft Dramatic type are more in line with John Kitchener's idea of Romantic. They both have dark hair. - Developed on: 2015-02-27 - 65,667 taken - 12 people like it. Subscribe to get updates straight to your inbox! Its like being on a constant treadmill without ever gaining any endurance. It has more to do with your overall contrast level and what else is in your blend. Its particular type of yin is sensual deep yin. Dramatic I think today it includes natural textures, fibers, abstract shapes, free-flowing hair, and a general reference to mother earth. However, the more you study your style the more you will learn your essence boundaries. D) People perceive me as someone who they should respect. And huge eyes! For my romantic essence, I do well with lace and some seaming but cant pull off overly voluptuous silhouettes. How we act in the world is not always reflective of who we are. Bright Winter Colors Their outfits consist of straighter and sharper edges and are often paired with vivid or dark colors for a bold appearance. Dramatic is too something and Romantic on the other hand could also appear costume-y. Do I have this Essence? Its hallmark traits are angular features (sometimes, not always), intensity, extroverted sensibility, and a love of fashion. This is an idea that's out there, but I don't buy it. Their style includes decorative florals, frills, ruffles, and vintage-inspired pieces. I particularly liked you in the Dramatic followed by The Natural . The art one is so interesting and I definitely think contrast levels play a big part in essence. Love your take on Marilyn as a Ethereal Romantic, and then I happened upon this photo of Doutzen Kroes and was immediately reminded of those same qualities: http://tinyurl.com/p37mwcl Kate Blanchet is light and cool. Taking your scores from the Kibbe quiz, apply them to the corresponding style essences and figure your percentage. Hi! Great! As a matter of fact, you can be a combination of both as per Kitcheners style essences. True Summer Colors Expressing your Truth through harmonious color and style is dressing your Spirit. Yes, heavy-lidded eyes strongly contribute to an Ethereal appearance. When taking this quiz, imagine you are your happiest, best self without worrying about other peoples reactions or evaluations. Btw, I checked out the pinboards and polyvores, and I do hope you'll be able to update the list soon, and I see your new profile photo on this website which is so drastically different from the last one but in a good way and it certainly looks like you have the Angelic/Ethereal essence as well, this is all new to me because all I ever looked at previously were Kibbe's typing system, and I certainly don't think any other type of clothing style would flatter you. Taking your scores from the Kibbe quiz, apply them to the corresponding style essences and figure your percentage. This is one of the harder essences to pin down and is especially hard to integrate into your everyday style. Their fashion style is elegant, formal, and timeless. It implies that the look of your clothes is more important than your look. The Kibbe Classic body type is defined by a perfect (blended) balance between yin and yang and the overall look created is smooth and symmetrical with even edges- not a hair out of place. Individuals of this style essence tend to be tall and have angular features and bone structure, and a straight body frame. My personal style adjectives however include the words "soft" and "calm" which seem to contradict this. Kibbe's system has five pure essences: Dramatic, Natural, Classic, Gamine, and Romantic. Here's me projecting this essence: What makes these outfits 'Dramatic' is the crisp tailoring, the deep color, and the sharp edges. I'm kinda the opposite lol. his wonderful video on the Youthful essence. The art one is so interesting and I definitely think contrast levels play a big part in essence. Hi Sandy, Which actresses/celebrities have you now, or in the past, felt a kinship to, or just liked a lot? I hope that my previous request for darker examples not limit you to only look there. I have noticed, for instance, that it is women with a Romantic essence who get really into Marilyn Monroe. Yin best suits women who are warm, soft, gentle, sensual, sexy, approachable, etc. Dramatic And if I am correct, I think my essences are Ingenue (definitely the majority), Natural, and Classic is tertiary. [], Your email address will not be published. The Ingenue essence is cute, innocent, sweet, and girlish. As if they're made out of spun glass or something. More fun for everyone! True Autumn Colors Why? Its particular type of yin is sensual deep yin. And traditionally, a lot of casting directors use Black and white photos to get an immediate impression, which I thought would help simplify this. In the Kibbe system, I am a full-fledged Romantic body type. Learn how to build a flattering and functional wardrobe tailored to you. But dont leave yet! Now I need to figure out how to bring all of this together! On my boards Ethereal and PSC Angelic there are people with dark skin and hair. WebHello stylers! Like the circle shape, the romantic silhouette is curvy and round - like an hourglass. To me, they all have in common that they look sculpted, but I think Ethereal is a quality they all have. We will be using all these 7 style essences on the quiz since we also believe these 7 essences exist and they are the most common nowadays. In other words, style essence shows you which clothing styles flatter you and which ones my head looks a bit smaller but not by much. He aims to have the true you shine, and for you to embrace the person youve always dreamed of. Even when its pulled back it needs some softness/volume to it. The pastel print also works to create an overall cute essence. A Dramatic essence works best with bold designs, asymmetry, animal prints, and an over-extension of the line (pieces that veer away from the body).