This browser does not support getting your location. Under normal circumstances, this would bring out a barrage of arguments & pouting, but going fishing was not an everyday thing. . 1999-04-21. When you're in it and so impacted by it, you just don't think about the effect it's having on you." A Klebold attorney issued a statement after today's service for Dylan, "who we loved as much as we knew how to love a child. As Sue and her family talked and told stories of their son and brother, I was given the opportunity to hear of the caring, loving side of Dylan that most people will never hear about.. Duchess dons $1,610 Carolina Herrera cape, $300 vegan leather Lovely in lilac! Three guns used in the massacre at Columbine High School were bought last year by Dylan Klebold's girlfriend shortly after her 18th . 9-11-1981 -- 17 year old son of Mr. Thomas Klebold (then 52) and Mrs. Susan (Yassenoff) Klebold (then 50), younger brother to Byron (21 at the time). The funeral home and chapel where Dylan Klebolds private viewing took place in Denver,Colorado. Yet the Rev. In youth-group meetings, kids mourned that they could not be in heaven with her, says Craig Nason, who was a friend of Cassie's and is now the West Bowles young-adult pastor. I would go just to give them a hug, she said. We arrived at the lake, but I dont remember what the name of it is. When asked about his relationship with Dylan, Byron indicated that he was not very close to Dylan since he moved out in July of 1997. "I wished for my son to kill himself, and he did," Susan Klebold said. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate, or jump to a slide with the slide dots. Sue has said herself that Dylan has no memorial site to visit. Despite his son's murderous behavior and treachery, David mourns his death. 1 review. Another girl, sitting under another library table, had said she believed in God when prompted by Klebold, who let her live, according to Dave Cullen's new book "Columbine." As manager of this memorial you can add or update the memorial using the Edit button below. Tom is a geophysicist, Sue works with handicapped people. On the Sunday between Dylans funeral and Cassies, 70,000 mourners gathered in a parking lot to listen to Franklin Graham, among others, proclaim the gospel. George Kirsten was in Israel on the day of the shootings; immediately, he turned around to come home. To use this feature, use a newer browser. Comment. Chaplain, Adams County Jail, Colorado. He could barely speak in front of a stranger, especially a girl. Yes, the Ever-lasting contrast. Try again later. Queen Letizia of Spain is polished in a recycled Reiss skirt as she joins King Felipe VI at Repli-Kate! 'From what I saw he was on the right track, there were times he was quiet and sullen and spent a lot of time in his room, but I have never met a 17-year-old boy for whom that is not true. Letizia of Spain looks chic in an Isabel Oakeshott receives 'menacing' message from Matt Hancock, Insane moment river of rocks falls onto Malibu Canyon in CA, Ken Bruce finishes his 30-year tenure as host of BBC Radio 2, Pavement where disabled woman gestured at cyclist before fatal crash, Pro-Ukrainian drone lands on Russian spy planes exposing location, 'Buster is next!' They favored dark clothing, as did others in their loose and relatively tiny clique, the so-called Trenchcoat Mafia. Which leaves the Klebold and Harris parents: What insights might they have to offer this traumatized community? But I never thought it would hurt that much. We didnt even know the family. Marxhausen probably speaks for both men when he says the toll Columbine has taken on his life is incalculable. Good things turn bad, bad things become good. Sorry! We've received your submission. Princess Diana's nieces Lady Eliza and Amelia share Do not sell or share my personal information. Which memorial do you think is a duplicate of Dylan Klebold (10972)? As the months passed, new evidence began to show that it had not, in fact, been Cassie who "said yes." Klebold, along with classmate Eric Harris, killed 12 fellow students and one teacher on April 20 before they committed suicide. According to the Dispatch, Susan may have moved from the Columbus area in the 1970s. I want to buy the book so bad! [Dylan] never talked that way to me. The funeral home and chapel where Dylan Klebold's private viewing took place in Denver,Colorado. I never liked coffee, but I loved the smell. There was little sign of activity in the darkened Klebold household or at Harrisses two-story home on a quiet cul-de-sac. Nothing made sense. Since existence has known, the 'fight' between good & evil has continued. Within one hour, 18-year-old Harris and his 17-year-old accomplice Dylan Klebold - a fellow Columbine student and Brown's friend since the first grade - were both dead. Unlike those people afflicted with . There was his mother Susans favorite story: One afternoon, Dylan, age 10, came running back from the creek with a pile of leeches. I would dine on fancy breakfast cuisine, otherwise know as Cocoa Puffs. Klebold and Eric Harris opened fire at their high school, killing 13 people and injuring a further 24 in the attack, with Sue dismissing her son's sullen moods for teen anguish while he quietly plotted the deaths. He is half Jewish as I am all Jewish. So it went for a half an hour or more. Both are from Columbus, Ohio and went to Ohio State University. The lake is almost vacant, except for a few repulsive, suburbanite a$$holes. When your 17-year-old son has just perpetrated what was then the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, killing 12 students and one teacher and wounding 24 others before he and classmate Eric. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. ", The two couples, declining to speak publicly, have issued statements expressing sorrow for the school attack and asking to be left alone by reporters. 26 March 2017. Signals about the familys religious practice grew even more mixed when it was reported that Dylan Klebold was buried Saturday in a Lutheran funeral. Following the shooting, Sue said their entire community was 'in chaos', and that their local governor went on television to hold the parents responsible, which started 'open season on their family'. While Dylan had run into trouble for stealing in the past, Sue believed her son was in a good place, happy that her he was employed, doing extracurricular activities and set to go to a university of his choice. This is a carousel with slides. His hands were folded on his chest, and stuffed animals surrounded him. Harris's father, Wayne, 50, is a retired Air Force pilot who works in aviation safety as a civilian, and his mother, Kathy, 49, runs a catering business. . On this day in 1999, her son Dylan and his friend Eric Harris shot and killed 12 students and one teacher. U.S., Cemetery and Funeral Home Collection, 1847-Current. Time to go!. Appearing in BBC Four documentaryRaising a School Shooter, the 72-year-old said that her son was laid to rest in a cardboard box, and that she was terrified to leave the premise in case someone 'hurt him' or stole his body. She appeared onBBC Four documentary Raising a School Shooter where she broke down while remembering his funeral. His father was very enraged that day, asking who would give his son a gun. Kirsten takes comfort in riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle on mountain highways, and still goes to the VA hospital weekly for therapy. I thought, Dylan would not say anything like that. But journals found by police told a differentstory, and Sue was devastated and shocked after discovering the mental anguish her son was in - with passages describing the mental 'agony' he was in and detailing his forms of self-harm. Kirsten was there for all of it. Verify and try again. And darn if I heard anything that made me think, 'Ah! . Dylan Klebold's Funeral News Coverage (New Discovery) - YouTube 0:00 5:06 Dylan Klebold's Funeral News Coverage (New Discovery) Columbine Video Archives 25.5K subscribers Subscribe. To view a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo to open the photo viewer. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. Cookie Notice For those who attended the service, it was as if Dylans life had ended at age 12, not five years later in a murderous rampage that left 12 students, a teacher, and the two killers dead, and a nation grieving and groping for answers. We never taught any prejudice in our home. 'I saw it was planned, I saw video tapes they had made, I saw Dylan in a way I had never seen him before, they were talking about what they were going to do, it showed him with weapons. Dylan was vulnerable in many ways - unquestionably emotionally immature, depressed, possibly suffering from a more serious mood or personality disorder. Please ensure you have given Find a Grave permission to access your location in your browser settings. Monarch is radiant in blue on a tour Bea's blooming! There is a problem with your email/password. Today, West Bowles is a soaring modern building facing the Rocky Mountains where ministers preach a fundamentalist Christianity. This is my story", "Columbine killers becoming cultural icons to some, researchers say", "Columbine left its indelible mark on pop culture - CNN.com", "Thresholds of Violence, How school shootings catch on", "The Columbine legacy: Rampage shootings as political acts", "Media participation of school shooters and their fans: Navigating between self-distinction and imitation to achieve individuation", "Columbine Shootings' Grim Legacy: More Than 50 School Attacks, Plots", "Malcolm Gladwell says the school shooting epidemic is like a slow-moving riot", "Inside the World of Columbine-Obsessed Tumblr Bloggers", "Enter The World Of Online Fans Who Are Infatuated With The Columbine Shooters", "The cult of Columbine: how an obsession with school shooters led to a murder plot", "Video game reopens Columbine wounds; Parents of victims are horrified; creator says it's for 'real dialogue', "Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold: Antiheroes for outcasts", Participations: Journal of Audience & Reception Studies, "Fans of Columbine shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Eric_Harris_and_Dylan_Klebold&oldid=1141397957, This page was last edited on 24 February 2023, at 21:39. Dylan was in an open coffin, with beanie babies lining his head (this helped to cover trauma caused by the gunshot wound). Dylan Bennet Klebold. Finally it was time to do liturgy, read scripture, offer prayers and give a brief sermon about parents love, which is as faithful as Gods love. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds to their heads in the library a little after noon. A subreddit focused on constructive discussion to better understand the events that took place surrounding the mass shooting at Columbine High School on April 20th, 1999. Dylan was remembered as a Cub Scout who attended church with his family. Marxhausen hated the whole thing. My heart broke for Sue because I knew she was a good person and a good mother, and that her life would never again be the same. "Franklin Graham was beating me up through my TV," he says. You are only allowed to leave one flower per day for any given memorial. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. The story of Cassie's martyrdom instantly became legend at West Bowles. and our 'If I saw Dylan face to face and I could ask him anything, I would ask him to forgive me for not being the mom that he deserved,' said Sue. Its weird, so weird. Dylan was in an open coffin, with beanie babies lining his head (this helped to cover trauma caused by the gunshot wound). Two days before the shooting, Cassie had recorded a video of herself testifying to her faith in Christ. As he preached, Marxhausen could see Dylan, laid out before him in an open coffin. Dylan Bennet KleboldDecoding Just a Day. Who wants to begin?. "They keep asking themselves, 'What happened? After the killing: How parents of attackers cope. No regrets, though. His mother on the other hand wondered how he could be anti-Semitic, as he was half Jewish and she being full. Try again. Sue remembered the moment she was told that her son was one of the shooters, admitting that she prayed for her son to die after finding out he had hurt so many people. Every so often, the waves would form a small pattern, & change current in an odd shape. On the Sunday between Dylan's funeral and Cassie's, 70,000 mourners gathered in a parking lot to listen to Franklin Graham, among others, proclaim the gospel. He had performed the marriage of Misty and Brad Bernall in 1980; more recently, he had helped guide their teenage daughter Cassie through a dark and rebellious time. Pregnant Princess Beatrice dresses her bump Minimalist Queen! "I turned it off. 'They had got so much information wrong about Dylan and our family, that I settled into the belief system that they were wrong about what Dylan did.'. Marxhausen, now nearly 70, is a burly, plain-spoken man who arrived in Littleton in 1990, and built St. Philip Lutheran Church into a thriving, mainline congregation with more than 1,000 members. based on information from your browser. For those who attended the service, it was as if Dylans life had ended at age 12, not five years later in a murderous rampage that left 12 students, a teacher, and the two killers dead, and a nation grieving and groping for answers. His friends have said that he was cremated. Obviously, this fight can never end. After Dylan's funeral, he described the killer's parents as "the loneliest people on the planet" to The Denver Post. Several phone callers to the Jewish News have complained that the media coverage might betray an anti-Semitic bias. On Thursday, April 22, Tom Klebold called and asked for help. Dylan Klebold asked the traditional four questions, the Times reported. For the past 19 years, Sue Klebold, has tried and tried to make sense of what happened. That unfamiliar expression was perhaps the only thing that allowed us to get through that first, horrific, unreal moment. Marxhausen described them as "very good people, fine people" who have been shocked by the disclosures. On the morning of Tuesday, April 20, 1999, Columbine High School senior Brooks Brown noted something strange. Since existence has known, the 'fight' between good & evil has continued. Eric David Harris (April 9, 1981 - April 20, 1999) and Dylan Bennet Klebold (/ k l i b o l d /; September 11, 1981 - April 20, 1999) were an American mass murder duo who perpetrated the Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999. He was too late, however, to be useful as a mediator. Telephone calls from the Jewish News to Marxhausen were not returned this week. His father was very enraged that day, asking who would give his son a gun. Thirty of the 36 families whose relatives were either killed or injured by Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris in the April 20, 1999, school shooting agreed to participate in a settlement for a total of . 'Then you start to feel guilty, because as soon as you begin to feel happy, you begin to hate yourself. Dylan Bennett Klebold. Sunday attendance has declined from 2,000 in 1999 to about 1,100 today. Done. ", But at West Bowles, the Cassie legend was not thenand is not nowa matter of debate. Byron indicated the last time he saw Dylan was on their fathers birthday. She reportedly told Grantz: Its so hard to see my son portrayed as a monster when that isnt the boy I know. Share Your Memories and Sympathies and Join the Bereaved! Marxhausen believes firmly in a loving, forgiving God and a nuanced approach to questions of salvation. We will remember him forever. 'I said out loud, "Darling help me understand what happened, that's all I want to understand". Dylan was in an open coffin, with beanie babies lining his head (this helped to cover trauma caused by the gunshot wound). Here are the seven best ways to wear them this spring. DENVER Dylan Klebold, one of two suspects in last week's bloodbath at Columbine High School, led a life of contradictions. Is Bob Dylans Judaism blowin in the wind? Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Although what he did was absolutely terrible, I think it's kind of sad that his parents didn't have that for him if even only for family. Only a handful of people came to say goodbye to Dylan Klebold. Marxhausen, now nearly 70, is a burly, plain-spoken man who arrived in Littleton in 1990, and built St. Philip Lutheran Church into a thriving, mainline congregation with more than 1,000 members. I would go to the garage & get my fishing tackle together, & throw it in the back of our 74 Ram. As a boy, he was in the Boy. This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. As a . I would wake up to black skies & coffee bean aromas making their way around the house. Sigh. LITTLETON, Colo. Friends, neighbors and classmates are grappling with conflicting feelings over whether to attend the funerals of the two Trench Coat killers. Franklin Graham was beating me up through my TV, he says. The answer is blowin in the wind. Recalling the day her son was buried, Ms Klebold said he was laid to rest in a cardboard box, and broke down into floods of tears as she said she wanted to 'crawl in that casket with him' and was desperate to understand what drove her son to commit such an atrocious crime. I would give anything to have him come to me and put his arms around me and say "it's okay".'. All we have in the house is a BB gun to shoot the woodpeckers. It was if their presence was necessary for me to be content. We will review the memorials and decide if they should be merged. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. Skip Yassenoff also noted last week that Susan and Thomas Klebold had been members of Littletons St. Philip Lutheran Church. Susan and her non-Jewish husband, Thomas Klebold, who operate Fountain Real Estate Mortgage Management from their home, have been residents of Littleton since 1990. 'I had been grieving so much for this lost previous child and remembering who he was and that was the point I realised who he was to the rest of the world, everything died in my world, God died, my belief in truth in what my family was. Apr 25, 1999 at 12:00 am. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. Princess Anne dons a vibrant brocade coat Queen of the cobbles! and aw to Zach for attending Dylan's funeral. And so when a desperate Tom Klebold phoned, the pastora liberal-minded Lutheranagreed to arrange a private service. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. Don Marxhausen said of the parents, Thomas and Susan Klebold. The further Kirsten got from the tragedy, though, the more he began to crack. Over the next 10 years, Kirsten's persistent evangelicalism would make him the target of accusations that he was exploiting a tragedy. I turned it off., Still, Marxhausen might have survived the Columbine tragedy with his job intact were it not for his continued relationship with the Kleboldsand his very public support of them. Columbine would open the floodgates of Kirsten's memory. 'Somehow we were lesser human beings we were evil, we were people who did not know how to raise children, there were a world of people who hated us.'. This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. "These parents have been tearing their insides out, trying to understand what the heck happened," said Marxhausen, who has been the family's pastor at St. Philip Lutheran Church here since last summer. He indicated that he is working as a lot technician at the Ralph Schomp dealership and that his work # is {blank}. Edit a memorial you manage or suggest changes to the memorial manager. . Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Sue Klebold. "I was becoming somewhat toxic with my visibility and extrovertedness.". The last time Chad Laughlin saw his buddy Dylan Klebold, the two almost smashed into each other in the parking lot of Columbine High School. U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014. . Of course I wish these horrible things never happened, but certainly I'm grateful I've reached a place where life is okay and there's plenty to be thankful for.'. Littleton was ground zero for the kind of white, evangelical Christianity that was sweeping the country at the time. The pastor of that church, Rev. A system error has occurred. The drives up to the mountains were always peaceful, a certain halcyon hibernating within the tall peaks & the armies of pine trees. Add to your scrapbook. Thanks for contacting us. Here's details; After a 3rd brief shooting duel with the cops, Harris sat down, with his back against the bookshelf, he placed the grip of his shotgun between. Im Jewish., Similarly, Susan Klebolds cousin, Skip Yassenoff, indicated to the Denver Post last week that Dylan Klebolds act must have been very difficult for [Susan], for any average American parent but particularly for someone brought up Jewish.. KLEboLD: Being shy didn't help. So to have the entire credibility of it washed away, that hurt.". Dylan Klebold. God, who knows about suffering and pain and loss, wants to reach out to you, he told the grieving parents, according to news accounts. A Navy pilot in Vietnam, Kirsten had seen horrors. Still, he concedes, he left when his church needed him most. ___Their son, Dylan Klebold, 17, would have graduated from Columbine High School this spring and was planning to attend the University of Arizona in the fall. Klebold and Harris were social outcasts in the halls of Columbine, but so are a lot of students in a lot of schools. It remained unclear at press time what forms of Judaism or Christianity, or what combination of the two, were practiced in the Klebold home. Tom and I had brought a number of Dylans childhood stuffed animals, and we placed them in the coffin so they rested against his cheeks and neck. Long-time friends arrived; one couple was from my church. The motives for Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold to carry out the Columbine High School massacre had nothing to do with bullying or revenge and the real truth is even more disturbing. Answer (1 of 3): Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds to their heads in the library a little after noon. It was Saturday, four days after the shootings. I had no idea.. We have set your language to How the Princess of Wales recreated her 2006 outfit from Prince William's Sandhurst graduation Behind-the-scenes at fashion week with the Spencers! Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. ___Instead, on April 20, he and friend Eric Harris, 18, allegedly killed 12 students and one teacher and injured almost two dozen classmates in the worst school shooting in U.S. history.