Many reviewers find that the hostess is cheerful at this place. Boccali's 3277 Ojai-Santa Paula Rd, Ojai, CA 93023-9348 +1 805-646-6116 Website Improve this listing Ranked #7 of 78 Restaurants in Ojai 300 Reviews Price range: $0 - $23 Cuisines: Italian More restaurant details avodoc Monterey, California 179 168 Reviewed January 6, 2008 Best Strawberry Shortcake On The Planet Split each Shortcake while still warm. Its not too sweet and so fresh tasting. Flights Holiday Rentals Add 2 meatballs or 4 shrimp to any pasta dish. Cut the cake into four pieces and place one on a plate. Cool on a wire rack. Strawberry shortcake was amazing ..eat desert first! Happy customers equals a successful operation, and were so thankful for our ongoing success., And, a huge part of their ongoing success stems from their strong, long-term relationship with Jordanos and their Account Executive, Corey Young. We're sorry, hotels cannot be booked for more than 30 days. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. The pizza & salad is absolutely delicious, but we come for that great strawberry short cake. Not only is he a great businessman, but he has become a part of the Boccali family. 1 star for the hosts that were sweet. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, and line an 8x8", square baking sheet with parchment paper. Boccali's menu is inspired by DeWayne Boccali's love of cooking and his . Boccalis recipes are "Original Ojai Italian, inspired by family recipes passed down from DeWaynes grandfather, who journeyed to Santa Barbara, California in 1898 from Lucca, Italy. |Level:|Time: 1 1/2 hours|Serves: 4-6|, 3 cups strawberries, cut into small pieces. They also make a great heirloom tomato salad when they are in season and their Lasagna is the best I've ever had. 3 cups strawberries, sliced 2 cups whipped cream or coconut whipped cream Mint leaves, optional Instructions In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Is Boccali's Pizza & Pasta currently offering delivery or takeout? Enjoy! Boccali's Pizza & Pasta accepts credit cards. Also, in the fall you can visit the pumpkin patch and get scared on the Hay ride. Watch. Opens in 15 min : See all hours. Dotdash Meredith Food Studios. Not only is their wine served at both restaurant locations, but its now available in local stores and other establishments around the county. It's finally going to get warmer, and I'm so excited! Boccali's Pizza and Pasta provides several beverages, such as ice tea . In 2004, DeWayne and his oldest son, Joe, decided to take a leap of faith and grow their own wine grapes for the restaurant. Their incredible strawberry-shortcake will amaze you! Flights Holiday Rentals Ive known Corey for decades. A local to the area, he started Boccalis original location (there is now a second in nearby Oak View, operated by his daughter, Marde) on the corner of highway 150 and Reeves Road. The ambience is also wonderfully authentic - a little wooden roadhouse nestled in the citrus groves - great outdoor seating on warmer days. The apple cobbler is also seasonal and worth to share with the table. More ice cream, popsiclesand strawberry shortcake! Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. My husband and I shared the spaghetti & meatballs and my kids had pizza. We have to be efficient and mindful in rotating our crops in and out throughout the entire year.. After I had evenly distributed them, I pressed them together, and then put them in the oven to bake. Roast until the strawberries are soft and fragrant, about 15-20 minutes. People would come to Ojai just to get Boccali's fresh strawberry shortcake, and I was very excited to get mine. Boccali's, Ojai: See 299 unbiased reviews of Boccali's, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 76 restaurants in Ojai. May 11, 2016 - Strawberry shortcake at Boccali's in Ojai. Last year my dad and I went to a small town called Ojai, and it was magical! . Fresh-squeezed Boccali Ranch lemonade and orange juice are available all year long. Boccalis customers enjoy dining al-fresco" on the patio, or on the large oak-covered lawn area, while enjoying the scenic vistas that make the Ojai Valley so beautiful and unique. The menu features their own fresh produce during the growing season, picked daily from their Upper Ojai farm. Fresh breaded eggplant, ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, with your choice of Boccali's meat or vegetarian sauces. Preheat the oven to 425F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Save room for the strawberry shortcake! It offers pizzas with a variety of toppings, including anchovies, jalapenos, pineapples, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms. They are known for their homemade strawberry shortcake when the Berries are in season. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons into eight mounds on a lightly greases baking sheet. Review. The ground are very fun and I ventured around the property for a while, left overs in hand . delicious strawberry filling, and whipped cream to top it all off. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. The crust and pizza in general was cold and rubbery and the cheese was barely melted We paid LOL $80 for not only one of the smallest beers I've ever seen and for food that after taking one bit literally couldn't take another. The main thing I noticed when I had the strawberry shortcake in Ojai, was that the cake was hot. Fun setting and a great place to sit outside. 2 Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Take your chance to taste delicious house wine, draft beer or bitter. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, milk, and butter to form a thin mixture. Explore our opportunities to start shaping your future. A nice crowd and efficient fast footed wait staff. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Hot and cold sandwiches are served during lunch hours in addition to the regular menu items. Boccalis honest, homemade approach to cooking truly brings their customers back for more. In a medium bowl, mix the strawberries pieces and honey. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Pour the strawberries over the baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees F. Beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form with an electric mixer. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, and salt. The food was great as was the service. It was all great. It's approximately $8 but you can split it because it's so large. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Add chicken ($4). You can't beat eating great Italian food under the oak trees! After all, thats what its all about!. I was so disappointed that I decided I was going to make my own. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 3277 Ojai-Santa Paula Rd, Ojai, CA 93023-9348 +1 805-646-6116 Website Menu. She loves the fettuccine Alfredo and that is what we typically order when we go to this nice spot for mommy and daughter date. Boccalis seasonal dessert is its famous fresh home-style strawberry shortcake. Also I got a strawberry shortscake for desert as well. The food was inedible. The directions for this recipe said to form the biscuits in heaping tablespoons, so I did. Love the Steamed Broccoli in Garlic Butter as well. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, and line an 8x8", square baking sheet with parchment paper. appropriate setting to take a young family or for a date night also. The restaurant serves a range of appetizers, such as shrimp cocktail, bruschetta, mushrooms and meatballs. Taste perfectly cooked strawberry shortcake, meat lasagna and spinach ravioli to form your opinion about this pizzeria. Ruined our day trip! You can vote for next week's dessert. It is well worth the price for the unforgettable, towering dessert! A beautiful balmy night in Ojai in April and everyone comes to Boccalis for its farm to table dishes. Add chicken ($4), or shrimp ($6).$14.95. (You can unsubscribe anytime). If you want to make these, the recipe is down below. Growing your own garden is a big deal. For the Biscuits. Unfortunately, since strawberries aren't in season, they weren't making it! The food at Boccali's is fine, in a classic Italian red sauce kind of way, but you're here to sit at a table on the back lawn, drink the wine you bought earlier that day, and then buy string lights on Amazon to replicate the whole setup once you get home. Great fresh juices will make your meal better and you'll surely come back. Turning to those elaborate aforementioned events, the Boccalis are known to have a good time. Fresh-squeezed Boccali Ranch lemonade and orange juice are available all year long. We like to go to Bocalli's the day before Mother's Day, so naturally we expected that they would be busy, and they were. GARLIC BREAD WITH MELTED MOZZARELLA CHEESE, Italian, Ranch, Blue Cheese, Thousand Island, PASTA ALFREDOBoccalis own creamy alfredo sauce served on your choice of linguini, spaghetti, or bow-tie pastas. Frankly until I had theirs, I was somewhat indifferent to Strawberry Shortcake, but theirs is amazing. Add the flour mixture into the wet batter, and pour it into your prepared pan. One of their most popular menu items is their homemade strawberry shortcake. Change). Boccali's "Best Strawberry Shortcake " Review of Boccali's 73 photos Boccali's 3277 Ojai-Santa Paula Rd, Ojai, CA 93023-9348 +1 805-646-6116 Website Improve this listing Ranked #7 of 78 Restaurants in Ojai 300 Reviews Price range: $0 - $23 Cuisines: Italian More restaurant details Loves-A-Deal-2-Eat Ventura, California 231 124 Dawn M. said "Beet salad, eggplant parmesan, amaretto cream- i called in an order on my drive home from work. Since one of my favorite pizza stops in Ojai (Boccali's, seen here) serves up the best-ever strawberry shortcake, I knew I had to do some research to top it. Since one of my favorite pizza stops in Ojai (Boccalis, seen, [ The top of a water glass doubles as a cookie cutter ], [ I added a touch of vanilla in the whipped cream ], [ Fresh strawberries cooked in sugar and vanilla ], [ I used tea cups to serve each one, which was the perfect amount since it was a post-lunchtime treat ], What To Make With Your Lemons This Season. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ). 3277 Ojai-Santa Paula Rd, Ojai, CA 93023-9348 +1 805-646-6116. Try the strawberry shortcake!! We are consistent consistent with our food, consistent with our staff, consistent with our service, he says. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. This family-owned business is the My family had dinner at Boccali's and it was delicious as always! Date of visit: June 2017. We have been coming for seven years in a row and we wont miss it for the world. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. When making the biscuit dough, make sure that the dough is completely combined before forming your biscuits. Your choice of Boccali's meat or vegetarian sauces. With music running through the veins of the Boccali family DeWayne was a member of the popular Ojai Valley Boys back in the day and his son, Nick, is a drummer for the local band Blue Latitude these events are a fun way to entertain and bond with their patrons. 3277 Ojai-Santa Paula Rd, Ojai, CA 93023-9348 +1 805-646-6116 Website Menu. Nov 2, 2012 - This Pin was discovered by Jane Suthigoseeya. While Boccali's serves up excellent and sometimes unusual Pizzas and Italian fare it's the strawberry shortcake that does it for me. First 6 toppings on our list for the price of 4: pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, olive, bell pepper and onions. Gradually stir in milk until a soft dough forms. Boccali's, Ojai: See 298 unbiased reviews of Boccali's, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 76 restaurants in Ojai. 2 cups whipping cream, whipped Cut strawberries in half and toss with sugar. Youll fall in love with this strawberry shortcake. And if something is wrong, they fix it. Place bottom halves on serving plates; top with whipped topping and strawberries. Dang. The finished product should have golden brown biscuits, delicious strawberry filling, and whipped cream to top it all off. regional theatre auditions; boccali's ojai strawberry shortcake recipe. Served in a casserole. mike birbiglia podcast; dream of funeral evangelist joshua; phonte questlove supreme; 300 reviews #7 of 48 Restaurants in Ojai $$ - $$$ Italian Pizza Vegetarian Friendly. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. My daughter and I go and share dessert or dinner since portions are large. Sitting on the veranda, you can enjoy a beautiful view. Served in a casserole. Note: This recipe yields about 8 servings. Capacolo, mortadella, prosciutto, and dry salame, served on a French roll with thousand island dressing, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. We absolutely love it! Thank you to everyone who voted for their favorite dessert from California, as well as interesting facts about the state! Opens in 11 min : See all hours. Garlic sauted pancetta, mushrooms and pimentos, in a rich and flavorful cream sauce, tossed with bow-tie pasta. It's the best place I've ever had strawberry short cake. Boccali's, Ojai: See 298 unbiased reviews of Boccali's, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 76 restaurants in Ojai. Line a 13x18-in baking sheet with parchment paper. In the fall, they offer a scrumptious apple cobbler sourced from Granny Smith apples from their ranch. Seven prawns sauted and served over a bed of spaghetti. For more information about Boccalis, visit www.boccalis.com. We like to go to Bocalli's the day before Mother's Day, so naturally we expected that they would be busy, and they were. While your cake is baking, arrange a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With help from the family matriarch, Esther Boccali, a restauranteer in her own account, Marilyn & DeWayne Boccali began their journey in the restaurant business back in 1986. Hello everyone, I went to Boccali's Pizza & Pasta on February 1st,2023 at 3:52 pm- 4:37pm and it was wonderful, almost perfect, some would say 4 stars. Cut your biscuits in half horizontally. In medium bowl, stir cornbread mix, melted butter and egg until stiff dough forms. Flights Vacation Rentals One day!. 32. Were truly lucky to have Jordanos and Corey to lean on., One things for sure, Boccalis is a local success story that will be around for years to come. Boccalis menu is inspired by DeWayne Boccalis love of cooking and his passion for farming. 300 reviews #7 of 48 Restaurants in Ojai $$ - $$$ Italian Pizza Vegetarian Friendly. We're sorry, hotels cannot be booked for more than 30 days. The menu features their own fresh produce during the growing season, picked daily from their Upper Ojai farm. Flights Holiday Rentals Boccali's Pizza & Pasta - Family-Owned "Original Ojai Italian" Since 1986 . I don't normally leave bad reviews but my goodness I had to say something. My family had dinner at Boccali's and it was delicious as always! With 50 years of farming business under his belt, DeWayne insists sourcing his legitimate farm-to-table menu offerings is not an easy task. In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, flour, and cornmeal. Oftentimes you can find the grandchildren helping out at larger events, or busing tables on a weekend. They also offer numerous vegan options served with hearty vegetable sauces. in Seafood, American (traditional) Ojai Valley Deli Cafe. Boccali's, Ojai: See 300 unbiased reviews of Boccali's, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 69 restaurants in Ojai. If you wanted to make it even more simple, you could buy pre-made biscuit dough, but since this is a baking blog, I decided to go all out and make my own. Soon Marilyn & DeWayne's three children, Joe, Nick and Marde were old enough to work the registers and bus tables, and found themselves taking part in the family business as well. I would have to say the parking was confusing at first and I almost caused an accident , but not there fault. I did however make my own shortbread cookies using this recipe, which is better than any store bought version. Lasagna was rich and spicy, and you can customize your pizza with your favorite farm raised toppings. Back then Boccali's was received with a warm welcome from the Ojai community, and became a staple for many "East End" locals. It really doesn't get better than this! The recipe for success of this pizzeria is its tasty cobbler, strawberry dessert and strawberry pizza. When, Jesse B. said: I'm glad they opened a Wingstop in Santa Paula and on my first online, Danika S. said: It would have been a terrible visit today if it's not for the, Victoria R. said: The guy I am seeing and I absolutely love seafood so when we tried. Mine ended up being 3 tablespoons per biscuit for 8 biscuits. A recipe from DeWaynes mother, he began offering it 25 years ago as a Valentines Day special (after all, Ventura County is the strawberry capital of the world). The Boccali family has proudly served the people of Ojai and their visitors, for over a decade, starting back in 1986. your own Pins on Pinterest Meat and vegetarian versions of most entrees provide for a variety of tastes. Two miles east of downtown Ojai past crowded streets and the hustle and bustle of town, sits Boccali's Pizza and Pasta amidst magnificent mountain vistas, and beneath a blanket of crowning oaks. A recipe from DeWayne's mother, he began offering it 25 years ago as a Valentine's Day special (after all, Ventura County is the strawberry capital of the world). Not only did DeWayne know this prime location would provide access to commuters passing through town, but its also located on a nice piece of land, full of towering trees and lush landscape the perfect retreat for locals alike. Use tab to navigate through the menu items. You will like its food, especially good strawberry dessert, cobbler and strawberry pizza. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. With that success behind their belt, Joe went on to produce estate-grown Grenache Blanc, Cabernet, Zinfandel, and most recently a Rose Syrah just 4.5 miles down from their flagship restaurant. Let cool for 10 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a bowl (including juices) and let cool to room-temperature. We truly do it on such a large scale for our customers, DeWayne says. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Today you will also find the next generation of Boccalis joining in on the family fun. Boccali's Boccali's Unclaimed Review Save Share 300 reviews #7 of 49 Restaurants in Ojai - Italian Pizza Vegetarian Friendly 3277 Ojai-Santa Paula Rd, Ojai, CA 93023-9348 +1 805-646-6116 Website Menu Closed now : See all hours See all (73) 300 RATINGS Food Service Value Atmosphere Details CUISINES Italian, Pizza Special Diets I decided on a pepperoni pizza, lasagna, and a spegetti. Meanwhile, place strawberries into a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork or a potato masher. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Onto ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough in 6 mounds (about 1/3 cup each). Served with your choice of Boccalis meat or vegetarian sauces, or al burro (garlic butter). My husband and I shared the spaghetti & meatballs and my kids had pizza. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, milk, and butter to form a thin mixture. It is that good. Spoon plenty of strawberries over bottom of each. Our three-times-per-week deliveries are always on time and delivered with a smile. Hes attentive to our needs and always delivers top-notch customer service, says DeWayne. The highlight of the whole trip was having the strawberry shortcake from a restaurant called Boccali's two times! Also, in the fall you can visit the pumpkin patch and get scared on the Hay ride. Flights Holiday Rentals Yelp users havent asked any questions yet about Boccali's Pizza & Pasta. It really doesn't get better than this! Add sausage or chicken to any pasta dish. Literally the produce is raised just beyond the front door. Website. Today. Pinterest. Alternatively, you may use. Make sure the cake is warm! Literally the produce is raised just beyond the front door. The pizza & salad is absolutely delicious, but we A beautiful balmy night in Ojai in April and everyone comes to Boccalis for its farm to table dishes. Example: Yes, I would like to receive emails from Jordanos. luke huard texas a&m salary; simchart 84 post case quiz; boccali's ojai strawberry shortcake recipe. The staff is friendly and smells nice and we're very knowledgeable about the menu. FRESH SQUEEZED BOCCALI RANCH ORANGE JUICE. Boccali's, Ojai: See 300 unbiased reviews of Boccali's, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 69 restaurants in Ojai. It was all great. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Lasagna was You can't beat eating great Italian food under the oak trees! Boccali's Pizza and Pasta is a family restaurant that operates seven days a week. I know, sounds good, right? Next, bake it for 20 minutes. Week 5: Strawberry Cornmeal Shortcake (California), Thank you to everyone who voted for their favorite dessert from California, as well as interesting facts about the state! Boccali's, Ojai: See 300 unbiased reviews of Boccali's, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #7 of 71 restaurants in Ojai. People would come to Ojai just to get Boccalis fresh strawberry shortcake, and I was very excited to get mine. In order to keep up with growing trends and accommodate customers with specific allergies or eating habits, Boccalis now serves a myriad of gluten-free items, including gluten-free pasta purchased through Jordanos. Steps 1 Heat oven to 425F. The passionate and extremely hard working owners of Boccalis Pizza & Pasta, DeWayne and Marilyn Boccali, along with their kids Joe, Nick and Marde, have been serving the Ojai Valley with authentic Original Ojai Italian food since 1986. Ironically enough, there was an old winery on their ranch that had been dilapidated over the years in fact, DeWaynes grandfather used to buy wine grapes from the property before it was theirs. Our customers truly appreciate the direct-sourcing we offer them from our own ranch. Save. Thank you for a wonderful lunch Mr/Mrs.Boccali next time I will come back with friends(I would bring family if I had any). While classic strawberry shortcakes are typically made with biscuits that are sandwiched with whipped cream and strawberries, this recipe has a cornmeal shortcake base, strawberries, and a towering cloud of whipped cream. The restaurant serves a range of appetizers, such as shrimp cocktail, bruschetta, mushrooms and meatballs.