My wife also drives a 2013 f150 and I'm afraid to let her drive it anymore, it took all I could do to steer it, I can't imagine she'll be able to do the same when hers fails. Power steering failed at highway speed while being driven by my wife, almost causing a serious crash. Ford's EPAS suffers from systemic defects that "render the system prone to sudden and premature failure during ordinary and foreseeable driving situations" and cause drivers of the cars to "experience significantly increased steering effort and, ultimately, loss of control.". Was it a PSC failure or did the ECU send improper instructions? All the same codes came on the dash that everyone else explains, hill decent etc etc etc. 2011 Vw Jetta Tdi Fuse Box Diagram. In addition, it will make the wheels return to the center position after turning. Put the world on wheels How many built: 15,458,781 between 1908 and 1927 Starting price: $825 for the. Due to this, the plaintiffs cannot claim a "common defect" is associated with the Focus and Fusion cars.". Later in day while on highway same issue occurred causing very difficult to steer and control vehicle. This sensor is present in the steering wheel column. You can reset the coding in the electric control unit to solve this problem. So while it may not be a problem in every year yet, it's worth looking out for. I thought that the motor had died as I was going so slow. They got it right in and found the advance trac light was on and diagnosed it as needing a new EPAS. had to hold the turn signal arm manually to effect a blink). I explained that I was 2850 miles away and in Mexico. Privacy Statement - May 2015: Almost 423,000 cars can experience an electrical connection failure in their power steering systems. 2013 F150 at 43,000 miles. In order to make the right selection, you must do your homework while still remaining skeptical. Do this several times. Electric power steering problem Hi everyone, I have a 2013 F150, 4wd, supercrew with 69k mi that needs the electric power steering replaced. When the vehicle is shut down and restarted normal operation resumes. We wanted him to be in something safer. Sometimes the broken fuse prevents it from illuminating. When the tow truck arrived the driver started the engine and the power steering worked normally. One widely accepted theory is that a defective torque sensor isn't giving the ECU the information it needs, and the power steering as a result gets disabled. Very upset with Ford as this is my first and had it for only 4 months. For example, when the speed is high, it reduces power assist on the steering. Electric steering contains an electric control module. I can tell you the dealer where i work we have sold a couple but would i call it a widespread issue? I started the vehicle and several warring lights on the dash illuminated. $1900!!! Driving a car without power steering is totally possible, I'm sure your grandfather would tell you he did it for years. my opinion is that Ford are very much aware of this steering fault, due to the fact that they issued a partial recall and, they want all old steering racks that are replaced, sent back to them! Highlighted the cigarette lighter fuse (as the most popular thing people look for). turn signal failure occurred at the same time, not sure if related but likely in my opinion. . A thick layer of filth makes the truck steering stiffer. A dash warning "Power Steering Failure" appeared. I had to pay out of pocket to get this fixed and cost me 2200 Canadian dollars. The 2001 Ford F-150 has 2 different fuse boxes: Passenger compartment fuse panel diagram. I've NEVER had a problem with power steering failure in all the cars and trucks I've owned over the years. The Ford F-150 class action lawsuit was filed by Mark Lincoln who says that he noticed the steering problem upon purchasing a 2016 vehicle, and was told that he could bring it back for an alignment which would fix the problem. To solve this issue, get a checkup from any nearby shop. Was quoted a fix cost of estimated $1,800.00. 2001 Ford F150 Fuses: Electrical Problem 2001 Ford F150 V8 Four. We purchased this 2013 Ford F-150 pickup on 10/23/17 for our 18 year old son for college. When you start the vehicle, they turn on for a few seconds. If I understand their Spanish. I am very disappointed with the lack of service provided by the dealership. I could have been killed or injured/killed someone else if this had happened moments earlier on the highway. I'll update this post once I get some answers from the dealership. Labor costs are estimated between $116 and $146 while parts are priced between $760 and $760. Ford Motor Co. has just issued a recall for the 2014 F-150 which is equipped with Electronic Power Assist Steering or (EPAS). Manage Preferences - So naturally, Ford banished it to the curb and replaced it with something much more complicated. They do not stand by their inept electronic components and customers are paying the price. Total repair cost would $398 instead of the $2100 the Ford dealer quoted. Power Steering Fluid Ford F150; Radio For 2013 Ford Escape .This video shows you how to open the hood in your 2015 Honda CR-V. Popping the hood on your CR-V is a two step process, you need to release the hood latch inside your CR-V and then you need to release the safety latch under your hood in the front of your CR-V. Recall Number Three - Faulty Gear Position Indication or PRNDL First, it calculates the power or torque a wheel needs for rotation. The system is supposed to work automatically, but the lawsuit alleges the system fails on the road, causing a problem with turning the wheel. A rack is an assembly that connects the steering to the vehicles front wheels. Use a scan tool that can look at special direct fuel injection parameters and perform bidirectional tests. When the steering becomes stiff or rigid and couldn't move, the electric assist mechanism stops responding. Locate the power steering reservoir. Sounds like the electric steering rack took a dump. Ford F-150 2011-2014 Factory workshop Service Repair Manual. HAD HE BEEN IN THAT TRUCK IT WOULD HAVE KILLED HIM OR INJURED HIM SERIOUSLY !!!!! 21 problems related to power steering failed have been reported for the 2013 Ford F-150. In case of minor issues like bad alignment, fix it again in its respective place. While driving my vehicle on a city street (speed limit 45mph), and while in a turn, my power steering abruptly failed causing me to almost crash. Was driving a couple of days ago and noticed my steering wheel wouldn't straighten out without manually moving it. The power steering quit on my 2011 ford f150. Power Steering Failed 2013 Ford F-150 (Page 1 of 2) This problem may be covered under warranty. I was lucky. A U-series code indicates a data-sharing problem between the EPS, ECM, ABS and other system modules. To steer correctly, all four wheels must be aligned in relationship to the thrust centerline of the vehicle. Scan tools and calibration equipment have come a long way as far as ease of operation and ability to access the vehicle. Instead of a conventional hydraulic pump, it uses a motor to drive the wheel. Again there is no word on the exact reason for the failure. You can not fix it at home or in your garage. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is the US agency with the authority to conduct vehicle defect investigations & force recalls. This 2006 ford f150 fuse diagram shows a passenger compartment fuse panel and an auxiliary relay box. I WANT A RECALL DONE ON THESE STEERING PROBLEMS TOO MANY HAVE BEEN REPORTED WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE?? Open the hood and look at the belt wrapped around the power steering pump pulley on the driver's side of the engine bay. But it's been a tough year for an EPAS lawsuit that claimed the system is defective. This could cause a major crash. For electronic steering applications, several import manufacturers have issued recalls for reprogramming the software that creates a better steering feedback for the driver (see scan tool screen capture 2). We will never buy another Ford again. The steering went from fine to very hard to turn within 2 weeks. May 27, 2015. Ford has known about this problem for years and perhaps someone will be killed before a recall is initiated. All the warning lights came on such as hill decent, service advance power steering track etc. I was able to recover and continue steering using my body weight to assist in steering which was very difficult. But the EPAS system is subject to electrical failures and premature breakdowns, causing a sudden loss of power steering while driving. 2013 F150 electric power steering kit install. And owners of Ford cars with electronic power assisted steering (EPAS) are thinking about it all the damn time, if you catch my drift. It also inputs all the information to the angle and torque sensor for necessary action. I requested the old steering rack that was being replaced, be returned to me. Allegedly, Lincoln bought his vehicle back for an alignment on July 9, 2018, but that did not fix the problem. has to go to dealer being told it will cost over 2 thousand dollars . Pulling into a parking space, the steering wheel locked up hard and kicked back. However, Ford indicated a $400 core charge would be billed to me to for keeping the old part! Took the truck to my mechanic and he said I should take it to Ford. So now I have to pay to rent a car on top of this extremely expensive repair of a part that should never go bad during the life span of a vehicle. . But the EPAS system is subject to electrical failures and premature breakdowns, causing a sudden loss of power steering while driving. Since I just bought the truck a couple days ago, I'm sure that the dealer will fix it under New York State law. Not to be confused with electro-hydraulic steering, in which a hydraulic power steering pump is driven by an electric motor, electric steering is a non-hydraulic system assisted by an electric motor operated by a software-driven power steering module. To do this, consult a professional for advice. At Trucksauthority.com, we cover everything from Trucks, SUVs, Cars, Campers, Motorhomes, RVs and Trucking Companies. The failure mileage was 20,000. statistics and reliability analysis of the 2013 Ford F-150. Dealer wants $1950 for the work but I'm taking it elsewhere (non Ford dealer) to get it fixed for about half as much. It is usually on or near the engine, and can have a white or yellow reservoir and a black cap. 1 Power Steering Failed problem Failure Date: 03/28/2021 This recall was issued on August 25, 2020. Hazing is when the teeth of the belt become shiny. Luckily I was close to the dealership and limped over. Its my 2nd Ford truck, and hope that they will do something about this. Update from Feb 23, 2018: On February 19, 2018 my 18 year old son was driving on a curve county road at 30 miles per hour upon approaching the curve he turned wheel to the left and the steering locked up again. It continuously senses changes in torque and position angle to adjust the required force to run the truck. 2013 Ford F-150 Has a Multitude of Recalls and Issues, Including Transmission Problems, Brake Failure, and Bad Wiring Braden Carlson Feb 9, 2022 2013 F-150 models have recalls over transmissions shifting into the wrong gear, and a brake system leak that leads to brake failure. As I panicked to changed lanes and get to the shoulder I was almost struck by another vehicle by the lag caused by the power steering failure. rear wheel drive w/ 4x4 - power seats - am/fm radio - steering . We don't sell/share your email. I can't get it into the shop until a week from today. As you probably know, this is not covered by the power train warranty. , saying the plaintiff's claims don't merit class-action certification because the steering problems are too widespread to prove any "common defect." Their electronic components are terrible and I'm paying the price. Additionally, this part cannot be serviced and requires a full replacement. Sooner or later, someone might ask if you can work on a Tesla. In case the components of the motor have corrosion, you need to replace the part of the motor. As the steering gear rotates from right or left, the clearance between the worm and sector gears increases, which transmits a sense of steering wheel position to the driver. It's been a long road for electronic throttle body (ETB) complaints in Ford and Mercury vehicles. Embrace your digital overlord electronic power assisted steering (EPAS). . Ford filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit and U.S. District Judge Lucy H. Koh agreed to do just that. Uneven alignment of the rack on its location also causes many issues. We do not have a reliable vehicle for our family. Our research indicates that your vehicle has an electric power steering system ("EPS" or "EPAS"). 2022, CarProblemZoo.com All rights reserved. These lights turn on when there is an issue with it. Additionally, when the outside temperature was close to, but did not exceed 65 degrees. No one called so I had the truck towed to a local mechanic. If my wife had been driving at the time of occurrence she "would not have been able to manually steer the vehicle" and, would have almost certainly lost steering control. Figure 4. Then this local area shop should pay to replace your steering box. To better understand how a steering gear might affect steering feedback, lets examine how a manual steering gear achieves that goal in many early imports. Disconnect the two steering gear electrical connectors, disconnect the four wiring harness retainers, position the wiring harness aside. After reading all the complaints and near accidents, I believe this issue NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED!! No matter how precise the alignment, if the steering gear doesnt transmit a center point or steering feedback through the steering wheel (see scan tool screen capture 1), the driver might complain of steering wander or a steering system that just doesnt feel right. In many cases, the loss of steering feedback might be attributed to the alignment or to wear in the steering gear and linkage system. Turn off the engine, and open the hood. Sometimes miscoding in software and electric control module also cause problems in it. I've been a Ford guy all my life. It will cause the wires insulation to melt at a higher temperature. . The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. 9.0 really awful Typical Repair Cost: $1,960 Average Mileage:. Circuit breakers are used to protect the circuit from power surges, and can occasionally blow out. The 2008 Escape (and it's sibling Mariner) were some of the first vehicles to feature Ford's pull-drift steering compensation; a part of an all-new EPAS system. The torque sensor signal inputs are displayed as positive and negative voltages, as are the steering position sensor input voltages. These parts are common to all electric power steering systems. What's the first question a customer service representative asks you when you call with a tech problem --- have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? Ford spokesman Mike Levine . Shutting off and re-starting the car seems to HAVE TEMPORARILY solved the problem. Also, the steering wheel doesn't return to center at all. High School or GED. Had this happened at highway speeds of 70+ mph, I would probably ended up kissing a tree. After this I could barely turn the steering wheel making for very unsafe driving conditions. A window may quit working for one reason or another. WWW.AUTOMERCADOCLOVIS.COM 559-323-3922. Electronic steering diagnosis isnt complicated, but can require vehicle-specific module programming and reprogramming capabilities. As soon as your power steering control unit starts to fail, a warning light will illuminate on the dashboard. Since this truck has been around for decades, some electrical problems that have been discovered include: Alternator stops working Dash lights come on spontaneously Soy-based wiring attracts rodents Door locks occasionally malfunction Slow drain on the battery Called Ford got a case number and said because we went to Lincoln, the dealer must take to another Ford dealer and then call them. I could only control the vehicle steering and bring it to a stop by using extreme physical strength to manually steer the vehicle. After reading about all the recalls Ford has issued related to their epas unit I believe there is systemic problem with the part. The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. Calibrate the front wheel before resetting it. Truck was running perfectly otherwise. Tonight when I pulled into my buddies apartment complex my steering wheel locked all the way to the left when it was maxed out. This is a sign you should contact a professional mechanic as soon as possible to have your power steering control unit looked at and replaced if need be. Sounds like the electric steering rack took a dump. Please also check out the statistics and reliability analysis of the 2013 Ford F-150 based on all problems reported for the 2013 F-150. The vehicle speed input modulates steering sensitivity in relation to vehicle speed. Third time lights came on while driving and power steering completely went out while traveling down interstate. It measures the torque or the rotation speed of the wheels. yeah check to see if they disconnected it. 3. There have been documented problems with the Ford EPAS going back to at least 2008. Weird how my truck would tell me my battery is bad then 10 mins later shut off all my steering. A timeline of stories related to this problem. The electromechanical assist is usually a directionally controlled, pulse-modulated electric motor that is geared into the steering shaft. Fault in input sensors like angle and torque sensors are also responsible for their bad performance. I find myself over steering and need to use a lighter touch with the steering wheel. The contact stated that the power steering failed to function and the eps warning indicator flashed. WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET THIS RECALLED??? It is computerized programming that controls all the functioning of steering. I have research the hundreds, if not more, complaints and safety issues with the F-150 steering and this needs to be addressed by Ford as this will, if not, cause serious bodily harm. 2013 f150 cc 4x4 electric power steering problem my local mechanic replaced the EPSA [rack and Pinion assembly} did a wheel alignment; did the steering angle reset; there are no messages on message board, no codes on scanner; fuse 52 is good drives straight, but turns hard at low speed, needs effort to return to center at low speed, could it be power steering control module? Many people complain about the problems with the electric steering in the Ford F150. Realized that motor still running. Just consider it as part of the purchase price. The contact drove to his destination and called crown Ford (256 swain st, fayetteville, nc 28303, (910) 600-6598) where an appointment was scheduled to have the vehicle repaired. . statistics and reliability analysis of the 2013 Ford F-150 based on all problems reported for the 2013 F-150. When I turn on and place the truck in drive, my steering wheel locks up to where I cant use steering wheel, I get a error on dash stating "assist power steering failure. . It is better to reset it by turning it off and turning it on again. by muzzo Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 am. It seems much thinner than motor oil although this part of the steering assist is right where the drip pan for the oil filter dumps out. I have a 2013 STX 4x4 and the electronic power assist appears to be leaking fluid. Subsequently, Ford has used two types of EPAS configurations to accommodate steering assistthe column-mounted PSCM system, which incorporates the PSCM, sensors, and motor into the steering column, and the rack-mounted PSCM, which has been the standard ever since the 2010 Fusion. Each pickup truck has specific steering warning lights. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. In a few Ford Explorer models, the electrical power steering system is known to malfunction. Remove and discard the two steering gear -to- crossmember bolts, now the Rack and pinion can be removed. Have lost faith in the safety of my truck. I slammed on the brakes but could not turn as was not expecting this to happen. For example, it regulates the temperature of the motor to avoid overheating. I heard no noise and there was never any lights/warning on the dash console. If wires are damaged, replace them in your Ford F150. To maintain the functioning of wires, avoid overheating the vehicle. In the last three years I have put $9500 into major repairs. When graphed with each other, they intersect at specific intervals, which allows the EPS module to rationalize voltage inputs and set various trouble codes. Testing over a 4 week period as the outside temperature fluctuated between 40-80 degrees allowed me to see the connection to the power steering failure and the outside temperature. Other times, the fault is a bad window motor or a broken part in the window regulator mechanism that actually raises and lowers the glass. After a promising start, it was denied class-action certification and then dismissed by a judge entirely. Very costly repair of vehicle that is highly maintained. Power Steering Hose. There were no warning indicators or tell tale signs of impending failure. Privacy Policy About Contact Terms of Use, Damage in the rack makes the steering loose and noisy. The fuel of the Ford F150 also deposits carbon and grease on the inner surface of the steering. Sorry to hear about the people who have gone through accidents over this. . Hydraulic systems have a multi-decade track record of successful steering with relatively easy maintenance. Outraged and done with Ford. It contains a proper electronic board and wiring. A loss of brake fluid may reduce or cause a complete loss of front brake function. The steering wheel would not turn at all. The EPAS just died. I have had it with Ford. And oh, by the way, an out-of-warranty repair costs about $2,000. Check the belt for cracks, chipping, peeling, or hazing. Since many electric steering systems arent field serviceable, they are usually replaced as a unit. Ford F-150 power steering intermittent and inconsistent problem or feels like no power steering sometimes and the steering wheel has trouble turning.The rack and pinion is not leaking and the pump and reservoir are full.