I wanted to say your dedication to putting this all down in an orderly way is really appreciated. The 911 Facedown on the ground, he tried desperately to hide his body by pressing it into the grass. Teacher Publication date 1999 Topics Columbine, Columbine massacre, School shooting, Shooting, Mass shooting, Hitmen for hire, Columbine CCTV, Columbine cafeteria, Columbine RPG, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold Language English. shirt, students taking cover behind the patrol cars, Klebold walking directly over to the same bomb. ''. gives the command post a description of one of the suspects: Littleton She was teaching three art classes a day. Focusing was a challenge. But I still won't do it if it starts to make me crazy or takes time from my kids. Apologies for the long post, but I couldn't think of another way to do it. Thank you for doing and sharing all of this research!! When I heard of this being a theory on the patti call, I listened and heard right away some things were those echos. Jefferson '', Four hours later, SWAT rescuers finally arrived. is last seen running back down the north hall to the west in the direction of Email. And I probably will never have an answer to what went wrong.. County Patrol Sgt. Two library employees I never attempted to explain this before. local news and culture, Alan Prendergast Another teacher, Doug Johnson, scrawled a message onto a dry-erase board and pressed it to a classroom window: "1 bleeding to death. hear one of the gunmen shout, This is what we always wanted to do. "Who's ready to die next?'' But five years ago, her whole life was turned upside down by a pair of violent teenagers whose actions Nielson and the rest of this Colorado community are still struggling to comprehend. At just before 4:35, a male talks and says "Page Boyd," and you can very faintly hear this on 11.29.25 at 0:30. Harris had taken off his trench coat sometime earlier, and was wearing a white T-shirt. A few tables over, Dan Steepleton, Makai Hall and Pat Ireland feared the worst was headed their way. Nielson: Hes outside of this hall Hes in the hall There are alarms and things going off, theres smoke, my God, smoke is like coming Ive got the kids under the tables here, I dont know what is happening in the rest of the building. During the incident, teacher Patty Nielson placed a call to 911 Emergency. (These instances are audible in the original release of the 911 call.). Hall's right leg gushed blood, so Ireland used his hands to try to slow the hemorrhaging. From 20 feet away, Klebold pointed his gun at Kastle. Bullets whizzed closer. A few of what's translated here are right, but I really doubt anybody's going to hear "peekaboo" and the knocking on the desk, or anything specific like that on a lo-fi phone recording from 1999. County Undersheriff John Dunaway arrives at the command post and authorizes SWAT "On April 20, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold shot and killed twelve students and one teacher at Columbine High School Littleton, Colorado. containing enough explosive, student parking lots to sit in their respective cars, The Next to him, Scott curled in pain. location at Caley Avenue and Yukon Street, Harris and Klebold go into the hallway and make their way to the science Seconds In the documentary Zero Hour: Massacre at Columbine High, Brown is quoted as saying: "During the shooting, you can hear [Klebold] saying all kinds of things to people before he kills them. While O'Shea fired into the doorway, DiManna and Phelan pulled Castaldo to safety. Hundreds of teenagers sprinted for the exits. This happens at 3:27 in Patti Nielson's call and 3:24 in 11.23.11. senior prank. Nielson: The school is in a panic. County dispatcher. Walcher of the Jefferson County Sheriffs Office arrives on scene. It was Klebold, wearing his Boston Red Sox cap. Harris rattled off 10 shots at the deputy with his 9mm carbine. Jefferson View Patti Nielson's business profile as Teacher at Columbine. The 911 operator answered the call stating "911" at 11:27:47 a.m. Copyright 2000 The Denver Post. Jeffco Harris From under the table, the teacher could see only Klebold's black combat boots. and help keep the future of Westword, Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our. Deputy SWAT team commander Manwaring arrives at Pierce and Leawood and advises dispatch "My God, the gun is right outside the door,'' Nielson frantically told the dispatcher. I told the captain, 'I think she's dead.' 5/19/2022 8:38 PM. Lt. Dave Dispatch leaning out of a broken window on the set of double doors into the school, begins assumes the role of incident commander. Awesome, man!'' Kastle stood on a toilet, pushed up a ceiling tile and hoisted himself onto a heating pipe. But I just want to be one hundred percent sure that theres in no way anyone left in that school. Walker Boom. My situation was unique among the teachers, and I think some people were afraid they'd say the wrong thing. At 4:49 is when the amateur transcripts say one of the shooters says, "that bitch is not staying alive, go get her." He even lay motionless when a fleeing student stepped over him. Several seconds later, the caller says that, "that last one sounded like either a really big gun or a bomb." "I made the decision I wasn't going to be in therapy the rest of my life. to make an immediate entry into the school. O.K.? Watching Savage being released with his life, other students prayed the killing was over. reports begin to provide glimpses of the incidents magnitude. So he was shot in the jaw? "Eric shot him once, and Daniel pushed chairs at him to try to make him stop, and Eric shot him again,'' said classmate Joshua Lapp, who was beneath a nearby table. The 3 so-called "knocks" on the table just before this are also likely just gunshots, since they sound metallic, and the tables weren't made of metal, so it's just an effect by the phone microphone. Could it have been averted?Five years later, nobody knows exactly why Harris and Klebold went on that murderous rampage. Until I got called in to review a few training cases, and a few firing cases. Outside the school's west exit, where Rachel Scott lay dead and Richard Castaldo was crippled, Eric Harris spotted Jefferson County sheriff's Deputy Neil Gardner, the school resource officer, in the Columbine parking lot. Shots in the building. Other times, they pointed their guns at a classmate but spared him for no apparent reason. Several In the neighborhood surrounding the school, people who lived nearby called the police to alert them to the tragedy unfolding. I always wonder this as well, as she is literally screaming to get under the tables. Survivors believe it all took less than 20 minutes. "And boom,'' Kirklin recalls. the west entrance and the sounds of gunfire. Various Reddit users have falsely claimed to have heard the full 911 throughout the years. Now Harris and Klebold moved away from the library windows where they started. They celebrated it. It's been disputed over the years as to whether or not the suicides of Harris and Klebold were picked up in the recording; if the audio does, in fact, last less than thirty minutes, the deaths of the gunmen would not have been heard. Just get out of here. Paul Smoker, a motorcycle patrolman for the Jefferson County Sheriffs Office, Its merely a flesh wound! and the peekaboo thing and do you believe in God?. She studied post-traumatic stress disorder and reminded herself of the vow she had made in that cupboard. — -- July 6 The following excerpts from the Columbine shooting 911 tapes, just released, show the confusion, anguish and attempts by law enforcement to deal with the unfolding situation: Call from teacher Patti Nielson hiding in library with children. This happens at 0:46 of 11.29.25. I thought it was probably a video production, she said, so I went out there to tell him to stop., It was then she realized it was real as one of the young gunmen turned around and fired in her direction. But I still won't do it if it starts to make me crazy or takes time from my kids. It's easier to have your priorities in order when you are faced with the idea you could die today, and you ask yourself have you done what you really need to do, or are you just flapping your wings?" Graves, and Lance Kirklin, Klebold . A 911 - Columbine main page He was with best friend Corey DePooter in the library when the shooting began. Deputy For some reason, the gunmen spared them. Crouching behind a bulletproof shield, Denver Capt. Nielson, the hiding teacher who made the 911 call, said, "They were on a power trip. Patti Nielson speaks at a Capitol Hill news conference on gun control. "In some ways I was a magnet to some people, and yet other people felt uncomfortable around me. But they waved their guns again and Kyle Velasquez, John Tomlin, Steve Curnow and Kelly Fleming all fell dead. gallon of fuel ignites in the area of the partially detonated propane bomb. The fifth shot, a shotgun blast to the chest, finally knocked Kirklin off his feet. Time and again, they were savage enough to spray a classmate with bullets, hear the moans of pain, and then silence the cries with a final gunshot at point-blank range. Byerly reports shots fired on the east side of the building. Just before he reached the cafeteria door, a gunman aimed at the fleeing boy's back and dropped him with a 9mm bullet along the spine. Behind her, the gunmen rattled off six shots. Dispatcher: Is there any way you can lock the doors? Student cafeteria below. And they are having very much difficulty in controlling the bleeding. Columbine 911 call -Why didnt she just LOCK THE DOOR! Harris, Don't forget, he said, "Look at the n-word" or whatever it was he said before they shot him. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. DETAILS: On April 20, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold shot and killed twelve students and one teacher at Columbine High School Littleton, Colorado. Students arrive for classes at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo. on Monday. An example is at 1:07 in Patti Nielson's call, there's a loud gunshot or explosion and Patti Nielson exclaims, "Oh, God." With the growing popularity of mobile phones, many people were able to place calls from inside the school during the shootings. Walker. to report shots being fired outside the library. on the Internet. Fire Department announces that its command post is set up at Leawood and Pierce. Tributo a Eric Harris y Dylan Klebold. Hall blacked out. Kids under the table! Teachers The same loud noise can be heard on 11.23.11 at 1:03, with sounds of people reacting to it. She hopes her absence is being seen as running toward her family, not running away from the memories. units. Some say Eric was the quiet one, Athena says Dylan did much less speaking. She had decided she wouldn't graduate in May, but now it looks possible. north main hallway. patrol car, Harris shoots down the Remaining behind in the library, though, were severely wounded students Pat Ireland and Lisa Kreutz, as well as teacher Patti Nielson, who was hiding inside a cabinet. After Moving from a small town in Oklahoma to oh-so-sophisticated Colorado, Austin Eubanks found it difficult to fit in. Apparently a faculty member inside the school talking to police, describing the situation facing some of the students who are hiding and speaking to the students at the same time. She got over the fear of sending her own children to school. Deputy Another thing that corroborates this is a call at 11.32.23, in which a 911 operator calls Captain Boyd, and he responds with "c'mon, page me, it's Boyd," and the fact that he's called implies that they've already tried paging him, with no response. cafeteria. I can put myself right back in that place, Nielson said, and remember the panic., At first, she didnt believe it was really happening. "Identify yourself!''. Stephanie Munson and another student walk out of a classroom into the schools And Im in the library. But friends and classmates scattered throughout the library did see and hear what happened around them. - Create a memorial page. You can hear just after the gunshot the same operator in the same call ask "where, where is that?". And I must say you did an awesome job doing, that most call center people deal with all the time. "He shot me in the face.''. Broncos (No you can't hear them during active calls. or experienced to Deputy Magor, whose patrol car is blocking the traffic on At 4:41 in Patti Nielson's call is when many amateur transcripts (the one that inspired me to do this project was this one) say when Eric says "peek-a-boo". County Dispatch asks if any deputies on scene have a long gun (a rifle or At one point during the rampage, Klebold uses racial slurs against one victim (Isaiah Shoels, 18) before Harris executes them. and the shooters enter the library. This page was last edited on 10 December 2022, at 04:07. Kastle had swapped pizza and gossip with Klebold for years in their fantasy baseball league. At 2:40 p.m., Pat Ireland summoned the strength to escape the library. from the window. Dispatcher: Are they applying some pressure to the jaw area? The deputy rolled out of his patrol car. Two janitors locked themselves in a kitchen refrigerator, and another 20 students, teachers and cooks crammed into a pantry. on February 7, 2022, 9/11 call from the Columbine Highschool Massacre, There are no reviews yet. What's also worse, is sometimes the linked lines, because the calls come in back to back, their seems to cause an echo on the lines, and sometimes you can also hear those calls, and the customers, softly talking as well. But mostly there was a resetting of priorities, she says. So he ducked into the cafeteria's faculty lounge. While student Aaron Hancey, an Eagle Scout with first-aid training, treated Sanders, another student, Kevin Starkey, worked to keep Sanders conscious by pulling family photos from the teacher's wallet and asking about them. Theyve got the rooms locked up. They wounded art teacher Patricia "Patti" Nielson (35) and student Bryan Anderson (17) upon entry. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. At about 11:19 a.m. a witness Deputy Another instance of this happens, where gunshots or explosions can be heard on both calls. But the call, on recording, picked up all the static noise of the center, other calls being taken, hearing myself asking somebody to close their line to take their breaks. The auditory pareidolia is real in this. Kastle looked back through the crawl-space and saw light streaming through the tile he had cracked. The two teenage killers stood next to each other. before he is fatally shot. videotape. Lisa Kreutz had survived. Just try and keep the kids in the library calm. But I don't want to impose. At one point she says she has to put the phone down and she does. Eubanks was wounded with buckshot in his ankle and hand. Patty Nielson. news announces reports of two gunmen at Columbine High School. Police command to officers:Have SWAT when they get to headquarters, pick a staging area down south , Dispatcher talking to officer who is talking to hidden kids on cell phone:My officers that are in the school trying to find the kids on the cellphone. Tell them to start yelling so he can find them.. Suddenly Kastle fell through the ceiling, landing on the floor in front of a cafeteria exit. The In time, she says. Taylor was so scared of being shot again that he refused to answer when other students called to him. Phil Hy arrives on scene and begins identifying and The seven other phone calls I used are, in the chronological order that they show up (I'm going to start referring to each of these by the underlined times): 11.23.57 Lindsay Macey's call (first minute of this is cut out), 11.23.11 Karen Nielson and Sue Caruther's call, 11.27.04 "Guns and Grenades" call (the one that I split), 11.29.25 "Suspects Near Custodial Closet" call, 11.30.13 "Assistant Principal at Columbine" call. suspects leave the kitchen area. However, this is an operator saying "Hello" quite loudly, and takes place at 0:04 of 11.30.13. The gunfire is consistent throughout the next seven minutes. I don't know if I can chime in on this, but I'm going to, way back a few years ago (2009) I was a floor manager on a call center. - AP special section Dispatch Spotting Rachel Scott and Richard Castaldo sprawled on the ground, nine SWAT officers piled into a fire truck and Dodge Dakota to mount a rescue. But she hasn't yet dealt with the piles of clippings and pictures and correspondence and teddy bears that overtook her living room and now live in her basement. While the first five and half minutes of the call have been released to the public, the rest of the audio is "available" in the form of a transcript. The killers spotted Shoels, a football player and one of the few black students at Columbine. "She was lying in the grass crying,'' Castaldo later told his mother. Still, Kastle was convinced the killers hadn't seen him yet. one killer shouted. Law The recordings, were impossible some times to hear. 9:19AM. "Hi, Dylan,'' Savage said. I laid her back down. sleeve of a black trench coat shooting a. Klebold Graves saw the mayhem and ran for his life. side, approach the south parking lot. When he heard the gunfire and explosions move into the cafeteria kitchen - where the killers had stashed a giant propane tank bomb that failed to detonate - Kastle ducked from the faculty lounge into a faculty bathroom. Nielson has written to most of the families whose kids were killed. Outside the cafeteria, Rachel Scott, a student actress, was sitting in the grass and eating lunch with Richard Castaldo, attending his first year at Columbine after transferring from Catholic Machebeuf High School. hides in a nearby restroom, Just before turning the corner to go east, he is shot, Harris Until teacher Dave Sanders shouted from atop a cafeteria chair, many lunch-hour students thought the noise in the stairway outside the windows was only a joke - a brick of firecrackers, maybe, or the long-awaited senior class prank. Deputy Deputy However, let's instead turn our attention to after 4:07, when Eric audibly yells, "Get up!" Regaining consciousness later at Denver Health Medical Center, Kreutz remembered the pain of being rolled onto her wounded shoulder. radio traffic they are hearing and personnel are quick to arrive at the scene. hiding in the cafeteria hears one of the gunmen say, Today the worlds But harm found him. I think I want to have it behind. Columbine Library Audio (partially lost 911 call of Colorado school shooting; 1999), Lost advertising and interstitial material, http://acolumbinesite.com/victim/injured4.php#patti, http://acolumbinesite.com/911/minutes.txt, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre#Perpetrators, https://lostmediawiki.com/index.php?title=Columbine_Library_Audio_(partially_lost_911_call_of_Colorado_school_shooting;_1999)&oldid=200231. We have found so many explosive devices including several car bombs, things like that. Several seconds after this event in 11.23.11, the caller says "they just shot, shot somebody inside the cafeteria.". Become a member to support the independent voice of Denver And that was before two gun-wielding students changed her life. Harris and Klebold leave He appeared to be in shock. We're not going to go to the door. (They committed suicide around 12:08 p.m. and the operator had allegedly ended the call fifteen minutes earlier.). A 911 Deputies "They saw me and didn't do anything,'' said the girl, who hid safely between cars in the student parking lot for 2 1/2 hours. speaks to one student briefly outside the west entrance of the school. Littleton Klebold and Harris also have bombs constructed with timers in their . The terror soon would follow her inside the school. From the corner of his eye, though, he saw another girl get shot. propane bombs in the cafeteria, Harris and Klebold go back Four Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. schools cafeteria. On the C-SPAN Networks: Patty Nielson is a Teacher for the Columbine High School with two videos in the C-SPAN Video Library; the first appearance was a 2000 Rally.Most appearances . Klebold hurled a pipe bomb onto the school roof. can see other deputies on the west side of the school near the concrete shed and Students Now the only sound in the library was silence - and the clinking of ammunition and bombs beneath the killers' trench coats. Ambulance traffic addressing SWAT teams searching for Sanders: We are still in contact with some patients via cell phone in the school.