Sign up for the MMA Junkie newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning. It lets you, as a storyteller, zero in on one thing and really do a deep dive.. There aren't any plans to bring Storm Chasers back to the Discovery Channel's lineup, but any tornado chasing enthusiasts have their fair share of conventions to go to to get their weather-hunting fix. However, the Pioneer wing inductee admits to having gone through a depressing phase where he considered taking his own life. What happened to Matt Hughes? Something went wrong. Fights and arguments over minor issues arent appropriate or worthwhile. "Matt Hughes looked really rough in that segment, but for those who don't know, he's lucky to be alive after a train slammed into his pickup truck several years ago. Matthew Allen Hughes who was born on the 13th of October 1973 is known as an ex-American mixed martial artist who doubled as a wrestler. Hughes had to be airlifted to the hospital and was in a coma for over a month. Tonight we are joined by two time world champion and UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. I actually like this format that theyre doing with this series a lot, said Rory Karpf, director of A Country Boy Can Survive, which airs on UFC FIGHT PASS in October. who worked with me over the past 3 years. After multiple arguments on both sides and much deliberation by the jury, our client received a jury verdict of $6.7 million. Please dont pick arguments or be overly critical. Copyright 2023 Distractify. While he would prefer solitude and not to be in the limelight as much, he appreciates those who have given their time and energy to help and support him, so he tries his best to do the same. #castontour #dallas #castcenters #TellMeYouLoveMeTour pic.twitter.com/HEuxCP52kh, On June 16, 2017, Matt Hughes was driving down a backcountry road in Raymond, Illinois. This injury will not fix itself over time. Get UFC 285 results for the Jones vs. Gane event Saturday night in Las Vegas. Norfolks defense attorney Charles Swartwout claims Hughes failed to stop his truck at a safe distance and didnt heed a warning from the plainly visible train. After suffering head injuries, doctors had to put him into a medically induced coma. Just not ChaserCon, however, as the annual event has recently thrown in the towel after 22 years. See a counselor to help you through the tough times. Thank Rory Karpf for showing us that. Discovery had canceled the program after its 5th season on Jan. 21, 2012, which wasn't without controversy. by Dana Becker. As Hughes attempted to cross a railroad track just before 11 am, reports UFC.com, a train slammed into the passenger side of his truck. Storm Chasers star Matt Hughes died May 26 in Kansas at 30 but the news was not widely publicized until his last episode aired on the Discovery Channel Wednesday night. Dr Halpert and Dr Polo explains what they found when Matt visited @bioxcellerator in Medellin ColombiaOn June 16, 2017, Hughes was hospitalized with a seriou. If you are caring for someone with a brain injury, please be patient with them. But Audra, Joey, Hanna and Katelyn are fighters too. Its truly inspirational that despite all that Hughes has had to endure, his zest for fitness hasnt fallen away. His competitive side works to his advantage, and striving to be the best has stuck by him in his fight for recovery. Some felt that the Discovery program had done a great job of enlightening the public on the nature of tornado research. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. Hughes, who has a wife Kenda and two sons Collin and Hunter, actually died on May 26. UFC 285 final faceoffs: Jones has tense staredown with Gane, McGregor makes cameo. Hughes couldn't spot an approaching train due to the absence of railroad crossing signs. The show revealed that the same weekend of his last chase, Hughes suffered a fatal injury at his home. Hughes son, Joey Hughes, indicated his father may have been using a cellphone at the time of the accident. This instance was the first time a meteorologist or researcher was ever killed by a tornado. As Hughes attempted to cross a railroad track, a trainslammed into the passenger side of his truck just before noon. I know this is old news, 2010, but I find it hard to belive Matt Hughes is gone. Sadly, Matt is another cast member of the show who had his life cut short in 2010, however his death wasn't directly related to his work. I still have a long way to go and I still have days where I get extremely sad and down, but I refuse to accept this is as good as its going to get. We chased so many intense storms, and I wish we could have just one more storm chase. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes suffered severe injuries in a near-fatal train accident in 2017. Hughes was 43 when he was involved in a horrendous accident, back in 2017. I had the worst brain injury possible, Hughes said. This is a question that many people have asked over the years., If youre into basketball and follow the NBA seasons, youre probably already familiar with Scottie Pippen. Educate yourself about the injury before you assume we are just being difficult for no reason.. It was a shocker to the entire MMA world when the news hit that the two-time welterweight champion was hit by a train while driving his truck in his home state of Illinois. June 16, 2022 by Blessed Antwi. While speaking about what its like to have a brain injury, Hughes highlights the importance of loved ones being patient with him. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Deadliest Catch is a pretty great example of this. Being active on social media, he shares photos and videos of him training away at the gym. Hes since appeared at several UFC events, but how he got from the train tracks to now was still a mystery until Karpfs film revealed the layers to the story. On May 14 in Kansas, local officers reportedly responded to a suicide call. He suffered his first defeat that same year but didnt lose again for another two years. When the incident happened, he was diagnosed with an illness. Some for the better, some for the worse. One of those losses came in 2000 during Hughes UFC debut at UFC 29. On June 16, 2017, Matt Hughes was driving down a backcountry road in Raymond, Illinois. Per the complaint, filed June in Montgomery County (Ill.) Circuit Court, Hughes attorneys claim Norfolk Southern Railway didnt have adequate warning signs at the crossing and knew it posed a grave danger to the public given its placement and visibility. Goodyear Police . Not surprisingly, given the nature of the accident, Hughes wasnt expected to live. Here is her story; On March 25th 2022, my 3 year old son was at home with my boyfriend, Matt. If you have a brain injury, get help immediately. In 2014, it reached a multi-million dollar settlement with the parents of two boys who were killed by a train as they walked on a railroad frame, according to The Roanoke Times. Sure, Matt Hughes can make light of it now, but the truth is that the UFC Hall of Famer was in a dire situation almost four years ago. Matt Hughes was involved in a horrendous accident in 2017. Twice UFC Welter-Weight Champion Matt Hughes was in a terrible train accident back in 2017. All Rights Reserved. So if I had to choose, I know that there are other topics in the series that are very interesting, but I did want to do more of the deeper, emotional stories.. It was a shocker to the entire MMA world when the news hit that the two-time welterweight champion was hit by a train while driving his truck in his home state of Illinois. His estranged wife, Audra, is named as a co-plaintiff. These days, Hughes trains his young-adult son in MMA fighting. Speaking with Planet Hank media productions, Hughes said he suffered mentally following the accident, and fought through suicidal tendencies. The complaint also notes damages suffered by Audra Hughes for medical expenses and treatment for which she will now and in the future be obligated and the society, companionship and relationship with her husband of which she has been deprived.. Distractify is a registered trademark. That was my first thought when I found out the 25 Years in Short series on UFC FIGHT PASS was going to include a mini-documentary on the comeback of the legendary UFC Hall of Famer from a near-fatal 2017 accident. Multiple calls to Matt Hughes attorneys of record, Steven Grovea and Patrick Hagery, were not immediately returned. As an athlete, I thought I knew the body well. newsletter, UFC 285 Jones vs. Gane Main Event T-Shirt, UFC 285 Shevchenko vs. Grasso Co-Main Event T-Shirt, UFC 285 weigh-in results: Jon Jones records 248 pounds for heavyweight debut, Geoff Neal misses by 4 pounds, Jon Jones fires back at critics after debuting new heavyweight physique: Good thing its not a bodybuilding competition, Cody Garbrandt confesses his life was in shambles before flyweight debut: I wasnt in a good place. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Educate yourself about the injury before you assume we are just being difficult for no reason. He remained hospitalized for almost a month as he recovered from his injuries. During trial, the defense tried to argue that they should only pay our client $280,000, a complete insult to our client and the suffering he endured. This injury will not fix itself over time. The tragic episode took place on the Beelers Trail when Matt Hughes was on his way back from Montgomery County. The network says his death was 'due to an injury unrelated to his chasing activities.' (Discovery) "Storm Chasers" stars Matt. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Stick to your therapy. Twenty minutes wasnt going to be enough to tell the Matt Hughes story. The outlook was grim. At the hospital, doctors put Hughes in a medically-induced coma because his brain was bleeding. Bu gnderiyi Instagram'da gr Matt Hughes (@matthughes9x)'in paylat bir gnderi UFC (@ufc) January 15, 2018. Tuesday marked three years since Matt Hughes was involved in a near-fatal train accident and the UFC Hall of Famer is counting his blessings. Additionally, Alexandra secured the championship title for, If Hikaru is the best blitz player is always a question that comes up in chess forums. It managed to generate a subvortex, which can function at higher wind speeds than the tornado itself, reaching 175 miles per hour in some cases. The El Reno Tornado was the widest one ever recorded. Hughes was airlifted from the accident scene to a hospital in Springfield and when doctors noticedhis brain was bleeding, theyput himin a medically-induced coma. Get live play-by-play and official results from Jon Jones vs. Ciryl Gane and Valentina Shevchenko vs. Alexa Grasso at UFC 285 in Las Vegas. The company argues sufficient warnings were in place and claim the UFC Hall of Famers actions led to the accident. Hughes remained hospitalised for almost a month recovering from his injuries. Details about his injuries and his recovery were few and far between, with only an occasional social media post showing him on the road back. I got the traumatic brain injury from the train hitting me so hard gave me a brain shear, which is tearing the axon away from the brain," he said. Matt likely knew what he had signed up for, and while he may not have looked as agile and fit as he once did, he may have wanted to return to the ring to prove just how far he's come in his recovery. So it was no surprise that he was chosen to tackle a tough subject like Hughes accident and recovery. In the lawsuit, it was stated that the two-time UFC welterweight champion suffered severe, progressive and permanent brain and bodily injuries.. Oops. Manage Settings Offers may be subject to change without notice. Thank you for sharing your stories with me. What happened to Matt Hughes Storm Chasers? I started at NFL Films, that was my first job out of college, and Steve Sabol wanted everything we did to touch, move and inspire. Hughes, 46, retired from competition in January 2013. Matt Hughes 2010 SuicideAndy Gabrielson 2012 Traffic AccidentTim Samaras 2013 TornadoPaul Samaras 2013 TornadoCarl Young 2013 TornadoHerb Stein 2016 CancerJoel Taylor 2018 Overdose. He never ended up with the disorder, and so he continues to recover, strengthen his body, and engage in training. The tragic episode took place on the Beelers. Hughes hasrecovered since then and is now continuing to work on his fitness, overcoming several challenges along the way. He talks about feeling worthless.. She wrote in a statement that when she was showering, he opened the door and choked her: He attempted suicide on May 14, according to reports, but was discovered alive. 431. My son was jumping on his Little Tikes trampoline when he tripped and fell, his face landing wedged between the . Please dont pick arguments or be overly critical. Try and surround yourself with supportive people. I still have a long way to go and I still have days where I get extremely sad and down, but I refuse to accept "this is as good as it's going to get". You have to challenge yourself daily. In other words, in a crowded world of non-fiction filmmaking, hes on the short list of best in the game. Four years after the accident, Matt Hughes continues to improve on his motor skills, and occasionally updates his followers on his progress. After suffering head injuries, doctors had to put him into a medically induced coma. Hughes was airlifted from the accident scene to a hospital in Springfield and when doctors noticed his brain was bleeding, they put him in a medically-induced coma. I realized, I know nothing when it comes to the brain. It definitely helps. To my friends and family who stuck it out with me during all the ups and downs, I wouldn't be here if not for you. VIDEO: UFC legend Matt Hughes returns to hospital to honor nurses who treated him after crash https://t.co/adbEMVCxBv pic.twitter.com/N50yf9PMp1. In 2017, he was in an accident that left him with a traumatic brain injury. Some meteorologists were conflicted about the series' cancellation. Those 19 days were spent in a medically induced coma after Hughes truck was hit by a train on June 16, 2017. Please keep the prayers coming, I sure do appreciate them. Some for the better, some for the worse. Hughes, via his attorneys, allege Norfolk Southern Railway and several of its employees were negligent in failing to warn motorists of dangerous conditions at the railroad crossing where his Chevrolet Z71 truck collided with a northbound train. Dallas, you guys were amazing. The entire episode was dedicated to the researcher, who was extremely passionate about his line of work and a big fan favorite on the program. But Hughes, fought through the entire recovery process and is now working to get back to full health. The former two-time welterweight king suffered life-threatening injuries after his pick-up truck collided with a moving train in Raymond, Illinois. This 52-year-old legend is comfortably enjoying his. Copyright 2023 Distractify. Three years later, the ultimate fighter has fought back and made a miraculous recovery. Rahul Gandhi not a bright kid, says BJP after Congress leader goes on rant at Cambridge, What happened to Matt Hughes? Luckily, the UFC champ survived the tragic event and was medically induced coma for 19 days. Copyright 2023 Endgame360 Inc. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Although some may have been delighted to see Matt return to the ring in a recent AEW match, many more were concerned about the health issues he still seemed to be facing. Although he was improving, Hughes said it was a daily struggle not uncommon for those who suffer a traumatic brain injury. Try and surround yourself with supportive people. Matt was a meteorologist who worked for KAKE-TV, a local ABC news affiliate operating out of Wichita, Kansas. As a result, Hughes suffered a Grade 3 diffuse axonal injury a brain bleed. #DanLambert's orders to @UFC legends #MattHughes and @TWoodley have seemingly worked against him, and @MarkSterlingEsq suffers the consequences at the hands of @RealWardlow! This past year has been an awakening for me. He is survived by his. https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/05/ufc-news-matt-hughes-details-recovery-brain-injury-train-accident. Hughes attorneys also claim the ex-UFC welterweight champ was lawfully driving when his vehicle when he was struck and thrown dozens of feet, resulting in severe, progressive and permanent brain and bodily injuries, according to the complaint. Storm Chasers is definitely up there with wild jobs, and longtime fans of the show are wondering what happened to Matt Hughes from the program. He's just lucky to be alive," one person tweeted after his appearance. The former two-time welterweight king suffered life-threatening injuries after his pick-up truck collided with a moving train in Raymond, Illinois. On June 16, 2017, Hughes sustained a severe head injury after a train collided with his truck at a rail crossing near his residence in Montgomery, Ill. Hughes went on to sue the Norfolk Southern Railway company, claiming negligence in regards to warning motorists of dangerous conditions. Matt has been retired from the world of professional fighting for some time, and that's in part thanks to a severe head injury he sustained when his truck was hit by a train in 2017. Joel Taylor, while vacationing on a cruise ship in Puerto Rico in 2018, died from a drug overdose. I have a new mindset and goals. Sign up for the It's no secret that chasing storms is dangerous business, and three individuals who were featured on the program met their demises after getting caught up in tornadoes. At the end . Alexandra Botez is a prominent female chess player born in Dallas, Texas, and grew up in Vancouver, Canada. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Although the retired fighter made rapid progress, his physical abilities have been severely hampered. If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. On June 16, 2017, Matt Hughes was driving down a backcountry road in Raymond, Illinois. On the three-year anniversary of the accident, Hughes provided a status update on Instagram, comparing his condition just days after the accident to where he is today. I was depressed, I felt like a burden, I felt worthless, and I would pray for God to take me.. And we werent telling the story of Matt Hughes whole life. According to reports from Sportskeeda, Hughes was on the Beelers Trail, on his way back from Montgomery County, when the incident occurred. Luckily for the Matt Hughes film, UFC didnt put any restrictions on me. Help Lauren fight injustice. Hello I am fundraising for Lauren to help her with her legal fees. Educate yourself about the injury before you assume we are just being difficult for no reason. Matt expressed the difficulty in how his ability to talk has changed, but that he accepts this and still pushes to progress in life. I like telling a story in this amount of time because I think a lot of times, documentaries are way too long. Soon after an accident, he got airlifted to the hospital. For a while, Matt started to feel depressed and as if he were becoming a burden to those around him since he wasnt fully able to take care of himself. Thats what I gravitate towards and I like touching peoples emotions. Two Title Fights And The Return Of The Jon Jones Headline A Stacked Card Inside T-Mobile Arena For UFC 285 On March 4, 2023, On March 4, Two Huge Title Fights Headline A Stacked Las Vegas Event, Go Behind The Scenes With The Athletes Fighting At UFC 285: Jones vs Gane In Las Vegas, Nevada On March 4, 2023, The 10: An Outstanding October on Tap in the Octagon, Unfiltered Episode 234: Dana White and Michelle Waterson, Catch the Hughes documentary and a newepisode each Monday, Wednesday and Friday on Fight Pass, The Disputed Origin Story of the UFC Octagon. The Hillsboro, Illinois native made up for his poor first performance almost a year later as he captured the UFC Welterweight Championship in UFC 34, defeating Carlos Newton via a second-round knockout.
Funny Words To Say Without Teeth, Nz Gardener Magazine Back Issues, Livermore Police News, Capital One Brand Guidelines, Mark Greyland Obituary, Articles W