However, this text would need to be updated after all national elections (mid-term and presidential). Exceptionally clear. The various appendixes include the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, Federalist 10 and 51 and a couple of other items. United States Government Our Democracy Chapter 1 PDF Book Details . This topic will require frequent updating. LBGTQ issues were integrated in many of the chapters and this is refreshing. It is such a long and comprehensive textbook that possibly it might suffer from not having a clear and overriding theme. If anything it simplifies our history as to discrimination and racism in the direction of being overly intolerant of past civil rights violations in the light of past cultural norms based on ignorance and insecurities that darken our history, and with which the present continues to deal with. Focus on big ideas with an accessible student text built around essential questions and inquiry. All of the topics you would expect to be covered in an American government 101 course are here: origins of our republic, institutions, individual action and collective action. read more. This book is very impressive, as is. One example to consider is presented in chapter 10, section 5 discussing the free speech rights of interest groups versus calls to regulate their activity. I liked the fact that the book had several subsections within each chapter. Pricing for school accounts will display in the cart once you are logged in. Relax. Reviewed by Randall Newnham, Professor of Political Science, Penn State University, Berks Campus on 2/1/18, Coverage same as most standard Am Gov textbooks, with chapters organized same as most (expensive) standard texts and each chapter about as long as standard texts. So do be sure, if adopting this text, to carefully preview the chapters for any issues like this. A number of important factors are left out. Chapter 8, Section 3 discussing the media and particularly the FCC is a very strong section of the text. I do find, however, the text to be more densely worded than preferable. Textbook solutions. But the Krutz book has won back my confidence. The United States has a complex government system. Prior to reviewing this text, I was not very familiar with open source textbooks. 4. Reviewed by Donald Travis, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Gettysburg College on 4/17/20, I like the additional chapter on State and Local Government (Chap 14). read more. Terminology is placed bolded for easy identification. The book is consistent in terms and focus. The text's content also features an excellent collection of relevant, recent landmark Supreme Court cases, including Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, and Obergefell v. Hodges. Adopting profs should read the chapters carefully so they know what areas get deeper coverage, and what areas get shallower treatment. Inquiry Journal:This interactive print worktext is built around essential questions and permits students to develop their inquiry skills using analysis, primary sources, and evidence-based writing. The section summaries will help students distill important ideas and the glossary/test questions will be a useful study aid. The material is easily divisible. Delivering Collective Action: Formal Institutions 5. Do away with elections and democracy itself might be saved, argues Alexander Guerrero. An innovative inclusion is that, in addition to the standard chapter on federalism, American Government (2e) also includes a separate chapter (14) on State and Local Governments. It is as accurate as any standard, mainstream textbook on American government. But given what is currently happening with the COVID-19 Pandemic, I would argue that the textbook remains just as relevant, even though some of your reviewers will claim otherwise. Overall, an excellent textbook which covers the needed subject matter comprehensively. Overall, the text is free of interface issues and navigation problems; the main drawback is the sheer volume of links - can get a bit cumbersome. It even has a section on Civil Rights and Native Americans. While most of the narrative text is easily and readily divisible into smaller reading sections, there are sections that go on for a page and a half of densely worded blocks of text that many of my first and second year students would find challenging in comprehension given that length. Do you need help? I assign a chapter every week, so the modularity has not been vital to me. The chapters, at more than thirty pages are relatively long for some students so all of the material within a chapter may not be read. It is both well researched and written. Krutz textbook is set up exactly the same as the three different United States Government textbooks I have used in nine years of teaching at the community college level. The professor can supply larger themes to the broader course and this textbook can fit nearly any theme with important and clear information on American Government. We have stopped printing many old products, but we might have some stock in our warehouse. Coverage same as most standard Am Gov textbooks, with chapters organized same as most (expensive) standard texts and each chapter about as long as standard texts. However, on the library listing page, there is a typo in the index for chapter 17. Prosper Bernard, Jr., City University of New York, Jennifer Danley-Scott, Texas Womans University, Christopher Lawrence, Middle Georgia State College, Adam Newmark, Appalachian State University, Brooks D. Simpson, Arizona State University, Shawn Williams, Campbellsville University, Rhonda Wrzenski, Indiana University Southeast. Not every one covers Civil Rights and Liberties or Foreign and Domestic Policy, but this text does offer a chapter on each of those. This was an early indication of the accuracy of the textbook. My biggest concerns lie with the unconventional ordering of the material, as well as the density of the text throughout. This immediately gives an indication of how the material will flow. The text did not include culturally offensive material and seemed inclusive in its examples and discussion. The text acknowledges multiple perspectives of race, ethnicity, gender, ability and other backgrounds. As always, you have the flexibility to organize the course content as you like. It is impossible to cover all the material in a quarter college course, this format allows selective teacher emphasized learning outcomes. This textbook provides a comprehensive framework for introductory American government. TEXT: United States Government: Democracy in Action US GOVERNMENT COURSE CALENDAR 2014 - 2015: Unit 1: Foundations of American Government August 19 - September 10 In this Unit: Exploring the Big Ideas Resources & Activities Chapter 1: People and Government. .nav-contain-highered p{ That noted, I will assign a section or two to aid in a specific class activity and these chapters can be used to supplement material in another course or two, particularly State & Local Government. Established in the introduction are the necessity and rationale for student interest and participation in their government. Basics of American Government - University of North Georgia Reviewed by Matthew Jacobsmeier, Associate Professor, West Virginia University on 4/15/20, The book covers all the main topics that good introductory American Government textbooks typically cover and also includes chapters on topics that are not covered in detail in many textbooks. While there are changes I would like to see, that is true for any book. The terminology is consistent and the textbook has a glossary at the end of each chapter; which is useful for students to identify terms and concepts. Oak Meadow Website . Before joining OU, he served on the faculty of Arizona State University and helped run two large-scale National Science Foundation projects as a doctoral student at Texas A&M University. I liked the Supreme Court and Electoral College Appendices, very nice additions beyond the usual set of founding documents. I suppose that in this case the decision was made to put individual action next as a way to show students how they can participate in government and how government affects them. I had no problems with navigation and saw no distortion of images and charts. I think it would be very easy to pick and choose which parts of the book you would want to assign. Might be using this text in the spring of 2020, Reviewed by Amedee George, Professor, SUNO on 4/23/19, The chapters in the Kurtz et al e-book covers all relevant chapters of American Government and even offers chapters on Foreign policy, Domestic policy and State and Local government. An example of a high degree of accuracy is the discussion on the problem of divided government. One important tenet of this system is democracy, in which the ultimate power rests with the people. The choice of pictures, and subjects is excellent throughout. Reviewed by David Weiden, Associate Professor, Colorado State Board of Higher Education on 11/23/19, The book covers all of the basic components of American government. The text's ease of access and open source publishing make it a clear and obvious alternative to expensive textbooks. United States Government: Our Democracy, Chapter Tests and Lesson Quizzes, United States Government: Our Democracy, Spanish Student Suite Bundle, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Learning Center with Complete Inquiry Journal Bundle, 1-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Learning Center with Complete Inquiry Journal Bundle, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Suite with Complete Inquiry Journal Bundle, 1-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Suite with Complete Inquiry Journal Bundle, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Teacher Edition, United States Government: Our Democracy, Teacher Lesson Center, 1-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Teacher Lesson Center, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Teacher Lesson Center, 7-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Teacher Suite with LearnSmart Bundle, 1-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Teacher Suite with LearnSmart Bundle, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Inquiry Journal, United States Government: Our Democracy, Print Inquiry Journal, 6-year Fulfillment, United States Government: Our Democracy, Print Inquiry Journal, 7-year Fulfillment, United States Government: Our Democracy, Spanish Student Edition, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Edition, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Learning Center, 1-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Learning Center, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Learning Center, 7-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Suite with LearnSmart Bundle, 1-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Suite with LearnSmart Bundle, 6-year subscription, United States Government: Our Democracy, Student Suite with LearnSmart, 7-year subscription. Furthermore, the textbook has the capacity to undergo straightforward updates, (such as to linked contents, etc.) US Government Textbook . Includes pre-built and customizable tests and quizzes, with a variety of question types to provide critical practice for high-stakes assessments. If a student is particularly interested in a topic, this would give them an immediate opportunity to find more information. This is a pragmatic generation of learners. The Colonial Experience. Your textbook makes no mention of Rousseau. Technical terms are clearly explained allowing the typical college to understand unfamiliar terms/concepts. It presents materials clearly. This is one of the strengths of this textbook. Each chapter is structured similarly. democracy: [noun] a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections. For class, it would probably be necessary to inform students of the most important links to review. An instructor could easily rearrange the order of topics without presenting much disruption to the reader. The text is very up to date, using examples from as recently as 2016. However, the text provides a strong historical perspective on the issues that it addresses, so much of the texts discussion will continue to be relevant and applicable even with the passage of time. The uniqueness of the American system is rarely mentioned (e.g., the fact that it has a presidential, federal system, with true separation of powers). Reviewed by Jack Philips, Lecturer, University of Texas at Arlington on 11/12/20, This book contains everything I need for intro American government classes. Product details Publisher : Avid Reader Press / Simon & Schuster; 1st edition (November 30, 2021) Language : English Hardcover : 576 pages ISBN-10 : 1982160276 ISBN-13 : 978-1982160272 Item Weight : 1.99 pounds Dimensions : 6 x 1.9 x 9 inches Our students love videos---was it a conscious decision not to include video links? Well written with solid organization, the chapters flow nicely together. This is the easiest area for remarks for this review. LearnSmart with SmartBook adaptive ebook helps students learn faster, study more efficiently, and retain more knowledge. According to in District List . The Bill of Rights. This website is constantly being updated and improved. Modularity is important for me as I usually find myself teaching "out of order" with respect to the book's chapter organization. United States Government: Our Democracy (2016) Publisher: McGraw-Hill . On diversity: Notwithstanding the fact that the book has text and images that represent different groups based on sex, race, religion and sexual orientation, among other characteristics; there is general reference to Hispanics being the largest minority group in the first chapter which is supposed to set up the main characteristics of our country. Although there is an internet link to the Articles in Chapter 2, I find it more useful for students to have access to the Articles within the textbook so they see they are important. by. 9780078747625 United States Government Democracy in. For example, Chapter 1, Section 3 has a discussion on civic engagement along with colorful graphs and data pertaining to 18-29 yr olds and their political participation. The content is accurate, straightforward, and unbiased. } In reviewing the table of contents, I found the book has a logical flow that begins with defining what government is and then proceeds to provide information on the critical subjects of our American Government by Glenn Krutz covers a lot of ground. The textbook is very comprehensive with more than 650 pages of content plus appendices with relevant documents. 3. This book is easy to divide into chapters or sections that make sense for the progression of the semester. For example, the chapter on political parties resembles a history text. It also includes a chapter on My kudos to the author. The term is derived from the Greek dmokratia, which was coined from dmos ("people") and kratos ("rule") in the middle of the 5th century bce to denote the political systems then existing in some Greek city-states, notably Athens. Arrive Math (K-8) Achieve3000 Literacy (2-12) C; Achieve3000 Math . There were a few places where the order within the chapter was slightly distracting (the media chapter comes to mind), but this was not a major issue. The entire unmodified textbook can be accessed here on OpenStax, where you can also download a PDF, install the app, or even order a hard copy from Amazon if you desire. The text is very written and edited, I did not notice any grammatical errors, although that was not the primary focus of my review. text-decoration: underline; Introduction, Consitution, Federalism, Civil Rights and Liberties, Parties and Ideology, Opinion and Media, Congress, President, Courts, state and local, and International Affairs. In general, I am impressed by the amount of thought and research that has gone in to preparing this edition. These help to engage students and cultivate reading, writing, and critical-thinking skills in a unique, and ever-growing platform. THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES in 10 minutes The 1619 Project Exposed: A Special Edition of the American Mind . I have no comment or assessment of either the usefulness of "supplementary" stuff like outside websites or discussion questions.
Come Contattare Jovanotti, Articles U