But a new set of drivers was beginning to emerge in me. And were all still ''We're not diversified like other foundations,'' said George Vera, its chief financial officer. About Susan Smith Packard. Help someones soul heal. My friends do all of these things for me, and I, in turn, for them. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. Although he and his advisers say there is no personal edge to his campaign, Mr. Hewlett is directly confronting Ms. Fiorina, who was recruited from Lucent Technologies two years ago. (They died only recently, William Hewlett this year at 87 and David Packard in 1996 at 83.). She has been an ardent advocate for womens issues and has played an active role in ensuring that the Foundation strongly supported womens reproductive health and rights. . Orr and Burnetts sister Julie Packard, who joined the Foundations board of trustees in 1972 and continues to serve in this role, reflected, Susan and Nancy truly embody our parents values and have had a tremendous influence on the trajectory of our foundation. We adopted Andrew from overseas, so when he asks, Whose am I? Its a bigger question for him than for a lot of kids his age. We all need to learn how to play., "As a leader, being comfortable with humor is very important. Their partnership was transformational for us in many ways., To make HGTV viable to sell, the consumer was always the first priority, she recounts. For his part, Mr. Packard says he has no influence over his sisters' decision other than expressing his views. He came to visit recently from California, and it got me thinking about friendships we make throughout our lives, how they stir our warmest memories. [11] In her final role before leaving SNI, Packard served as the Scripps Networks President of Brand Outreach. She helped lead a movement in climate philanthropy that now generates well in excess of $1 billion dollars a year. I didnt know whose I was anymore. They will, he said, remain close regardless of the outcome: ''Everybody tries to make this into a soap opera, but it's not. Susan Packard lives in Knoxville, Tennessee, with her husband and two female felines named Dot and Judy. A dedicated conservationist, she was instrumental in helping philanthropy make the critical linkage between forest protection and climate, resulting in the creation of the Climate and Land Use Alliance. For him it was all about learning, keeping your mind open and active. My mother and sister died, both unexpectedly, in a matter of a couple of weeks apart. In all good organizations, the people working there, know whats going on there. Packard was so impressed with his pitch, she joined the venture as its second employee in 1994 behind Lowe, who's now SNI's CEO. Walter Hewlett, joined by his two sisters, Eleanor Hewlett Gimon and Mary Hewlett Jaffee, had already said that they would fight the deal. There is time, because the shareholder vote will not come until late February at the earliest, the company says, awaiting antitrust reviews in the United States and Europe. or knows people who work for H.P. This is her third book about emotional fitness and the many shapes it takes in people's lives, and how it is essential to living with peace and joy. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. [18] New Rules of the Game is intended to serve as a guide for women looking to take on leadership positions in business.[19]. friend to both of us for different reasons. Mr. Stephens observed that in much of Silicon Valley, ''pretty much everyone you meet is someone who works for H.P. ''It was an amicable splitting. Genealogy for Susan Cole Packard (Reynolds) (1827 - d.) family tree on Geni, with over 230 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. Susan Packard. In February 2015, she spoke at Stanford Business School as part of SBS Executive Breakfast Briefings. She holds memberships in many national- and state-level professional organizations, including the American Counseling Association (ACA), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA), and the Pennsylvania Psychological Association (PPA). It gives employees a sense that they are helping to create something here, more than a paid employee. They Fully Human Leadercast Twitter chat with Leadercast Self-Esteem in the Time of Pandemic Notice: Information contained herein is not and should not be construed as an offer, solicitation, or recommendation to buy or sell securities. She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $15 billion. HGTV initially focused its programming on everything regarding home improvement, with design, gardening and other how-to categories coming later. [5] After this, she worked at NBC to help launch the network's cable properties beginning in 1988. But there is also a note he put in that said, There will always be Easter baskets. So that Andrew knows wherever he goes, our hearts are with him. She has extensive work experience in the fields of addictions treatment, corrections, community based mental health, and counselor education. Dr. Packard is an active member of Chi Sigma Iota (international and professional academic honor society) and served as Chapter Faculty Advisor for Edinboro Universitys Epsilon Chi Chapter (2014-2022). She was also president of worldwide distribution for the Scripps cable brands. After graduating from Michigan State with a master's in advertising in 1979, she joined fledgling Home Box Office. Our programming folks nailed the brand and maintained a brand discipline in all they did. She was the co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. The prospect of adding expense to their cost line was a challenging sell, Packard said. She the cofounder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating. DESTINY is decidedly knocking at the door of the founders' heirs because of the controversial Compaq merger. Ownership data provided by Refinitiv and Estimates data provided by FactSet. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. And with those moves, my ego was squarely in place. Susan Packard Orr is an American philanthropist and the former chair of the Board of Directors of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation. But that also assumes the leaders are adhering to the values., Judy Girard, a former HGTV president who wrote the foreword to Packards book, New Rules of the Game, said: Susan guided the business into a set of declared core values that are still in place today. So with emotional intelligence, we are aware of emotions in others, and you might be surprised how many people are not. [3] Like both of them, she attended Stanford University, where she graduated with a BA in economics (1968) and an MBA (1970). 2023Susan Packard | All Rights Reserved, Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window). Susan Packard - Author | Leader | Speaker | Coach - Entrepreneur, Writer, Speaker | LinkedIn Susan Packard Co-Founder, HGTV. what does hong kong flight departure mean shein. She received the Woman of the Year award by Women in Cable & Telecommunications (WICT) and was profiled in Modern Visionaries, a book chronicling the contributions of women to the cable and telecommunications industry. The companys media portfolio includes popular lifestyle television brands HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, country music network Great American Country (GAC) and the Travel Channel. They are communicated to, they dont feel like they are in this little cubicle and they have no connection, no ownership, to the bigger enterprise. We are so busy that we forget to reach out to our friends, just to connect, and laugh out loud with them. We use cookies to make Arreva's community a better place. Like others, Mr. Platt gives no hint as to how he might lean on the merger, and he will listen closely to the Booz-Allen & Hamilton analysis this Friday. And the problem there, while you are being taken so seriously, the guy in the cube next to you is getting the promotion, she said. The network is much jazzier today, with "Property Brothers," "House Hunters" and "Love It or List It" drawing viewers. This book could become a new guide for women in business, helping any one of you at home work your way to the top of your industry. Today I write, I teach a practice of meditation called Centering Prayer at a lovely little retreat house in the Smoky Mountains, and I work with women one-on-one to help them manage all the areas that they battle in the workplace every day. She enjoyed hiking, reading, and music. ''Susan has been very supportive of Carly, and they have a dialogue,'' said a person who knows Ms. Orr, who declined to be interviewed. And, of course, all employees benefit, as does the company., Cynthia Gibson, executive vice president and chief legal officer for Scripps Networks Interactive, also cheered Packard: Susans passion for doing everything she does at 100% and her unquestioned integrity were key components of her success at HGTV.. . Packard was the first woman elected to serve on the board of directors of Churchill Downs, Inc. (NASDAC: CHDN), the owner and manager of the Kentucky Derby and other horseracing properties. by Susan Packard | Mar 20, 2020 | Friendship. Contributions are deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Under Packards helm, HGTV became one of the fastest growing cable networks in television history. To . 2023 by Samaritan Counseling, Guidance, Consulting. Your email address will not be published. About 85 percent of its assets are in shares of Hewlett-Packard and Agilent Technologies, a scientific instrument maker spun off from Hewlett in 1999. The Packard Foundations board of trustees is composed of six Packard family members and eight general trustees and sets policies and strategic direction for the Foundation. And out of that came these core values. They will continue to remain advisors to the Foundation and participate in a variety of charitable activities. Those two people were very important to me in deciding that I wanted to have a career and to do something that my brain was always active.. Following an 11-year career as a case manager/therapist delivering inpatient/outpatient treatment for adults affected by addiction, she returned to school and earned her Ph.D. in Counselor Education from the State University of New York at Buffalo. You know theres so much literature around emotional intelligence books written about it, online quizzes to test your EI, books for kids on how to learn emotional intelligence but very little on emotional maturity. The foundation's future is inextricably tied to Hewlett-Packard. If the Packard Foundation votes for the merger, however, Ms. Fiorina and the Hewlett-Packard management team will get a much-needed lift. [20], Last edited on 27 November 2021, at 03:01, "Susan Packard Drove Home HGTV's Culture While Ratings Sprouted", "Susan Packard, Doug Meijer to speak at MSU commencement", "HGTV co-founder inducted into Cable Hall of Fame", "LOUISVILLE: Why Working Women Need To Think Like Athletes", "Patience Urged In Rise To The Top, Former HGTV Head Says", "Minding My Business With Pac-12 Networks Senior VP Art Marquez", "HGTV co-founder Susan Packard debuts new business book for women", "HGTV Co-founder Shares Her Success Secrets With Women's Networking Group", "10 New Books We'll Be Reading This Year", "Speaker Offers Game Plan for Successful Women", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Susan_Packard&oldid=1057352478, This page was last edited on 27 November 2021, at 03:01. If the foundation votes against the deal, the merger is not necessarily dead, but 18 percent of the shares will be securely in the opposition camp. Today HGTV is available in more than 99 million U.S. homes and distributed in 175 countries and territories. She enjoys walks with her husband and golden retriever (Dougal) and attending movies. The information and content are subject to change without notice. She loves to travel and find beautiful birds in every corner of the world. Her past board service includes Stanford University and Hewlett-Packard Company. Orr and Burnett are daughters of David and Lucile Packard and two of the organizations longest-serving trustees. He was also deeply involved in selecting Ms. Fiorina as his successor, and for years he worked closely with Richard A. Hackborn, a former executive vice president of Hewlett-Packard who is widely respected in Silicon Valley. Cookies help to provide a more personalized and relevant experience for you. 2.3k. She is one of the founders of the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute two science centers that have helped scientists and the public better understand how to protect the marine world. His question is one that Ms. Fiorina poses to the opponents of the merger. But Mr. Hewlett and his lawyer say he had misgivings about the merger even then. So with all of that in mind, if you will allow me for a few minutes to tell you whose I am: I am the daughter of these two lovely folks, mom Greek, dad Italian, first-generation immigrants. Make more money in stocks with 2 months of access to IBD Digital for only $20! Learn more by reading our. Share on Facebook . Log in or sign up for Facebook to connect with friends, family and people you know. Whose am I? is also answered by these gentlemen. Bill worked for Patrick in one phase of his career; Patrick worked for me in another. Susan founded Telosa Software (formerly named the Technology Resource Assistance Center) in 1986 to provide computer consulting services and software exclusively to the nonprofit sector. In addition to the Packard Foundation, she is a current or previous board member of several prominent nonprofit organizations including Stanford University and the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. [8], Scripps eventually became Scripps Networks Interactive (SNI),[9] where Packard served as executive vice president. In his meetings with major investors, Mr. Hewlett has been presenting the arguments laid out in a 69-page analysis of the deal prepared by his adviser, Friedman Fleischer & Lowe, a San Francisco investment firm. Theyve guided our work as a family foundation in which the next generation is deeply engaged. Packard is the author of New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace (February 2015). Its about half, male and female, which is just about ideal. Great American Country and Travel Channel were later additions to the family of networks while she was there. That year Packard was a co-founder of the Fine Living Network, which debuted in 2002. Susan Packard Orr, the chairwoman of the family foundation, appears to share some of Ms. Fiorina's views, while her brother, David Woodley Packard, announced last month that he opposed a. In her school years, Susan spent summers working with her dad in the direct mail business. HGTV co-founder Susan Packard authors new book for women in business By Kristin Farley, WATE 6 On Your Side Reporter. fill our yearning to belong and to be accepted just for who we are. This picture was taken last August. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive and former chief operating officer of HGTV. Take a moment of think of someone who has had staying power in your life, who makes you smile by the mere thought of them. [2], In 2019 Packard was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Michigan State . 2000-2023 Investor's Business Daily, LLC. The information has been obtained from sources we believe to be reliable; however no guarantee is made or implied with respect to its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness. Well, somewhere deep inside that I didnt know existed at the time, emotional maturity was beginning to grow, which is the state of mind and heart and spirit that will always trump ego. the truth for you, until you can know it for yourself. In 1994 she joined HGTV and became Chief Operating Officer in 1995. She also co-founded HGTV's parent, Scripps Network, which turned into Scripps Networks Interactive (SNI), and through 2010 served as executive vice president and ran global distribution. So thats what emotional intelligence is. 2017 First American Financial Corporation and/or its affiliates. She is active in national, local business and community affairs. A copy of the official registration form and the financial information of Samaritan Counseling Center of Western PA can be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free, within Pennsylvania: 1-800-732-0999. This experience has given her great respect for the professional fundraisers who do so much to further the causes of their organizations. I did return to work and after some additional time there, I departed. Select this result to view Susan J Packard's phone number, address, and . The message is to think like a winner and act like an athlete, but at the same time dont be afraid to use humor in the workplace. And Im sure it impacted many others. None followed their fathers to work at Hewlett-Packard. So far, the shares of the family members who oppose the deal, and those of the foundations they control, total 7.5 percent of Hewlett-Packard. She was elected to the Scripps Howard Foundations Board of Trustees in 2001 and served for six years. That happened to me in the building years of my career, and I marveled at others, like my friend Bridget, who made sure she kept her book club every Thursday night with her girlfriends. Susan Packard was born in Detroit, Michigan. Now a good girlfriend of mine, Judy, you see her up there, she calls this soul energy. In 2015 Packard wrote the book New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace, which applies the concept of gamesmanship for the use of women in their careers. So today Ill spend a few minutes with you on emotional maturity because at least for me, it has guided my best and bravest decisions. As the co-founder of Home & Garden Television, better known as HGTV, which provides programming in categories like home design and decor, gardening, crafts and remodeling, she was drawn to the startups concept due to her vibrant, positive and uplifting home life growing up. She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $15 billion. Use tab to navigate through the menu items. Mr. Hewlett's adviser, Friedman Fleischer, did not visit Hewlett-Packard's management, preferring to work from public records. With more than 10 percent of the company's shares, the Packard Foundation is the largest single shareholder in Hewlett-Packard. In 2019 she authored Fully Human, Three Steps to Grow Your Emotional Fitness for Work, Leadership, and Life. Ive really been a lifelong learner because of him., Then there's Aunt Rachel, 98, who was a vice president at Revlon (REV), a career woman before it was cool, Packard said. This week, before the vote, Hewlett-Packard's management and its adviser, McKinsey & Company, are to meet with members of the foundation board. Packard also worked on the startup teams of HBO and CNBC. In recent conversations, the Hewletts and the Packards have also assured each other that no matter what the Packard Foundation's decision, their friendships will remain intact, family members say. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. Dr. Susan Packard joined us in the summer of 2022 where she sees clients via teletherapy or in-person at our Erie office. In 2011, was named to Villanova Business Schools Deans Advisory Council and to the Tennessee Governors Commission on Film, Music and Entertainment. Robert Stephens, who is married to Julie E. Packard, said last week that he took some comfort from having seasoned ''decision makers'' like Mr. Platt, Mr. Morton and Ms. Orr on the board. But when I got this call, something whispered, It fits. Like finally finding the right key to open a lock. In lots of companies, everything is held very closely in the senior leadership circle, including the financials, and thats a crazy way to do business, she said. Mr. Hewlett and his advisers plan to present their case to as many of the top 50 shareholders as possible. in economics from Stanford University. David Woodley Packard, for example, left the Packard Foundation in 1999, after it gave his own Packard Humanities Institute a grant of $1.6 billion. But there was so much left unsaid, unwritten, because I didnt want to write a ten-pound book. She served on the board for two terms. On this podcast, Cal Walters a follower of Jesus, a husband, father, West Point graduate, former Infantry Officer, Army . Friendships fill the holes inside us. Susan Packard is co-founder of Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI) and former Chief Operating Officer of HGTV. A home channel was something that really called to me., She answered with drive crucial in any endeavor: If you can find a place where you can really feel passionate about what it is you are working on, and see it has something larger than just you, youll have a much better chance for success and for personal satisfaction in your work.. She has also received awards including the Women in Cable & Telecommunications Woman of the Year award, YWCA Tribute to Women Award, and E.W. By the end of the day, if they reach a consensus quickly, or sometime in the weeks ahead if they do not, they will reveal whether they support or oppose the deal. Friendships by Susan Packard | Mar 20, 2020 | Friendship My husband Bill and I have a friend named Patrick. Packard's second book, Fully Human, 3 Steps to Grow Your Emotional Fitness for Work, Leadership, and Life, looks at emotional intelligence and how it can propel the reader to find fulfillment and success. He declared his opposition to the merger on Nov. 6, after the four-member stock committee of his family foundation and an investment advisory firm both concluded that the Compaq deal would be bad for Hewlett-Packard shareholders. (John Black Photography). THE next chapter in the family drama surrounding the Hewlett-Packard Company begins on Friday morning. We might be able to create workarounds if issues arose with the distributor and advertiser, but if we didn't deliver with the consumer, nothing else much mattered. She was also president of worldwide distribution for the Scripps cable brands. acceptance comes self-acceptance so in very real way, friendships complete us. She was the 2nd employee of SNI and helped to build the company to a market value of over $10 billion. Susan Packard has been on the ground floor and helped to build powerhouse media brands like HBO, CNBC, and HGTV. Susan Packard is an American business executive and author who was a cofounder of HGTV, DYI Network and several other Scripps Networks Interactive (SNI) network channels. How family ties might affect the decision of the Packard Foundation, if at all, is difficult to say. Susan Packard lives in Knoxville, Tennessee, with her husband and two female felines named Dot and Judy. More significant, Walter Hewlett, the lone remaining family member on the board of Hewlett-Packard, is actively lobbying institutional investors to vote against the deal. They have a son . These values include compassion and support, openness, shared responsibility and work-life balance. And Ive had all of this on my mind a lot lately, ever since I wrote this book, New Rules of the Game. . So lets start with definitions. Susan Packard has been on the ground floor and helped to build powerful media brands like HBO, CNBC, and HGTV. Join Facebook to connect with Susan Packer Swafford and others you may know. [7], In 1994 at E.W. Susan is related to Danielle Packard and Hannah Packard as well as 3 additional people. He is survived by his wife, Martha Susan Thomas Rudisill, daughter, Mary Harden Rudisill, both of Daniel Island, Charleston, daughter, Susan Reeves Rudisill Myers and her husband, Lt. Col. (retired) Andrew Herbert Myers, PhD., grandsons, Thomas Jesse Benjamin Myers and William Joseph Rudisill Myers, all of Spartanburg, S.C., a sister, Cecily . The beneficiaries, it adds, are likely to be rivals like Dell Computer, I.B.M. [14] In the book Packard uses personal anecdotes from the breadth of her career[15] as well as stories about other businesspeople who successfully managed various competitive situations. We live so often in a world of ego energy, but when were moving toward maturity, were moving into a world of soul and heart and mind. If completed, the deal would bring an immediate, drastic change in Hewlett-Packard. EIN: 25-1425598. "Everything around transparency is a really important management philosophy. ''It all comes down to one issue for me -- what's best for the business, not so much this year or next year, but for the long term.''. She has spent a lifetime serving in leadership positions in the sector, including as chairman of the board of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation for over 20 years. Because of their shareholdings as individuals and in family trusts and foundations, though, the founders' children, now ranging in age from late 40's to early 60's, are being forced to take a stand. As the co-founder of Home & Garden Television, better . She later completed an executive program at the University of Virginia. Such deals, it says, create disruption as the merged companies try to meld disparate operations and corporate cultures. [15], Orr was named the first Distinguished Fellow in Family Philanthropy by the National Center for Family Philanthropy,[16] where she has written about donor legacies and board composition for family foundations. In addition to being COO of HGTV, she created and served as president of Scripps Networks New Ventures, where she oversaw the development and launch of DIY Network, and online interactive platforms. They select the nonfamily directors. First American, the eagle logo, firstam.com, and First American Title are registered trademarks or trademarks of First American Financial Corporation and/or its affiliates. Top 3 Results for Susan Packard. And I like that a lot. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Packard lives in Knoxville, Tennessee, with her husband and two female felines named Dot and Judy. Its decision could decide the fate of the merger, the computer industry's biggest; of the company regarded as the wellspring of Silicon Valley, founded in 1938 in a garage in Palo Alto by a pair of enterprising young engineers, William Hewlett and David Packard; and, perhaps, of Carleton S. Fiorina, the chief executive of the company and the leading proponent of the merger.
Ferret Adrenal Disease Treatment Cost Uk, How Does Scrooge's Behaviour Change Throughout The Party, Psa Flight Attendant Interview, Articles S