Due to labor issues, Kinfolks was closed in 1957, with another cousin, Emerson Case, continuing production of the brand under Robeson Cutlery in Perry, New York, until 1965. After more than two decades (1897) in this business, importation costs for the knives were getting higher and wiping out Adolphs profits. Why in the world would ANYONE pay $713.00 for this book? Literally founded by kin cousins Dean and Russ Case, and Tint Champlin the venture was to help W.R. Case & Sons and Cattaraugus Cutlery meet production demands for fixed-blade knives. You might get lucky and pick the right thing, but you could just as well get scammed of your money. While some other companies have taken over the design and started to make modern versions, there is simply nothing like the older units that first came out under the original Klaas company. I have written different guides on how to date different knives to a specific era but this one is different. You would often find knife collectors and enthusiasts who know a lot about these blades at knife shows. For the time that they spent here, though, they came up with some pretty great knives that collectors are after today. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. Part of the great thing about knives is the variety and variation. Then came Webster Marble. Providing rare insight into Kinfolks and the families involved in its creation and development, Kinfolks Knives is intended to be the most accurate history of the cutlery compiled to date. Knife collectors and dealers should still have those catalogs if you can find them. Re: Dating Kinfolks Knife. Stockman knives have two backsprings, which support at least three blades. He felt the proper grip when field dressing was to choke up on the handle with the base of the blade between your fingers. To see this page as it is meant to appear, please enable your Javascript! Copyright 2004-2023 allaboutpocketknives.com, Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide, "If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where. Please try again. The mystery of the Jean Case Cutlery Company is at last explained, and many family photographs and recipes are included. Except for books, Amazon will display a List Price if the product was purchased by customers on Amazon or offered by other retailers at or above the List Price in at least the past 90 days. Excellent collection ! KNIFE Magazine July 2021 issue Sneak Peek, Weekend Open Thread: Stupid is as Stupid Does Edition. However, when I went on to see what prices were being asked for Kinfolks in this condition, I saw the prices in the $125 range (over twice what I paid). It's easy! This American heritage contributes to the high-value craftsmanship and quality control that ships with these knives. So question: does it have brass spacers in handle? Also pictured is the AAC procured pattern 5665 with stag and rosewood handles. Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this American cutlery dynasty are included, as well . The specific one you asked about is the one on the top or the left. If you have one of such knives, follow the guide above to narrow down the date or era as much as you can. Does the one you mention have the colored spacers at each end of the grip like the ones you illustrate? Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. Some shady knife enthusiasts might want to get the knife from you at a steal price or in a swap deal for something else. Sign up for a new account in our community. If you have already guessed from the name, this company was founded by entrepreneurs who were related to one another. There seems to be a problem serving the request at this time, Hunting Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives, Bowie Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives, Hunting Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Camillus Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Stainless Steel Handle Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Stainless Steel Handle Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives. Or do you just want to know the value of your knife? Thanks for showing, once again learned something. It is not known when these knives went out of production, but they made it as far as 1993. It came from the estate of a Navy aircraft mechanic on a carrier, but no other information about it. Robeson continued to make knives until 1965, the year that Emerson Case . Without new collectors, this hobby will slowly atrophy until there are just a few of us left (until we age out). Search our products for it! I'm not sure exactly but I would assume they requested some sort of corrosion resistance this would leave the door wide open. Even if there is no evidence on that, it doesnt drive down the value of these well-made, vintage knives. My FIL's knife definitely isn't plated. It looks like WhatsApp is not installed on your phone. | Instead, he sought out a smaller cutlery brand in Camillus and joined the management team. I have a 1970 Ontario marked JPSK I got from a reconnaissance pilot I was stationed with in Texas in 1976. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. A timeline of the family and related cutleries is included for quick reference, as well as answers to the most common questions about the company from www.KinfolksInc.com. The Creedmoor is the hottest cartridge on the Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. In any case, the knife continued in the line until 1960 when the handle was lengthened, and the model renamed the Campcraft.. The only way to stay in the knife business and keep running a profit was to start making and selling them domestically. March 26, 2014 in EDGED WEAPONS. 2023 Cuts & Carves - Designed by O. Christopher, How to Date a Camillus Knife Effectively (1902 2007), How to Date Klein Knives to A Specific Year or Era (5 Methods), How to Date A Kinfolks Knife to A Specific Era, How to Date a Cattaraugus Knife (5 Methods Explained), How to Tell If A 1918 Trench Knife Is Real (5+ Unique Methods), How to Date A Case Kodiak Knife by Yourself (Expert Advice), How to Determine the Value of a Knife (Vintage, Antiques & Collectibles). A 4-inch blade would seem to be a very practical length for hunters, but the 3--inch leather-washer handle made it a little difficult to grip for many field tasks. The company closed shop in the 1950s and they have since been resurrected in other capacities. I note that you say that there is a third variation of the #5679 L 36 that has the black plastic pommel (presumably of the Mark 1 style). If you, Read More How to Date a Kissing Crane Knife (Both Old and New)Continue, Klein knives are clear vintages, and theyre one of those knives that went to the war. During the time which they made knives, the company created a long line of hunting and fishing knives. Your email address will not be published. There has always been a certain amount of fad over function involved in the way outdoorsmen select their cutlery. I have no idea how it ended up in the hands of an aircraft mechanic on an aircraft carrier. Marbles next gift to the sporting cutlery world was the Expert sheath knife (5- and 6-inch blade lengths), introduced in 1906. In any case, buyers must have questioned the length of the handle too, as, over the years, Marbles steadily increased its length. Many hunters and fisherman carried them. Fortunately, we dont have that with Kinfolks, but there is a unique issue. Others give only a very vague date when the original Kinfolks company was making its knives and nothing more. Includes initial monthly payment and selected options. This is so ridiculous, it's laughableyet, assinine. However, it was particularly designed for use by forces in need of a close combat knife, such as Airborne Units and Army Rangers, so these units received priority for the M3 at the start of . . You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. Premium Online Members can read the whole thing by clicking the blue button below. $9.90 shipping. The Camillus Cutlery company also produced: Their production capacity was expanded during the second world war when they had to manufacture a lot of high-quality knives to meet the needs of the soldiers shipping off to war. Basically, this was the Ideal with a 6-inch sawback blade, fully sharpened false edge, steel crossguard, and a heavy steel nut as a pommel. While they may not be sparkly new, they still have a lot of hunting seasons still left in them. Please try again. J. Elliott Case, son of Dean Case, who went on to become President of Kinfolks Inc. was one who joined the Navy and left the cutlery eventually to return when the war was over. In 1965, Robeson ended production of Kinfolks knives. by JohnR Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 pm, Post Klein knives are clear vintages, and theyre one of those knives that went to the war. #3 Speak with Knife Collectors and Dealers. Follow authors to get new release updates, plus improved recommendations. Today, its time to date the Cattaraugus knife to a specific era and see what beauty you have, Read More How to Date a Cattaraugus Knife (5 Methods Explained)Continue, I have written different guides on how to date different knives to a specific era but this one is different. This is a pity, as the Woodcraft still remains one of the best big game processing knives ever designed. If you dont have both the repro and original side by side, you might not be able to tell the difference sometimes. Thank you for sharing. Correct Kinfolks marked sheath, lightly sharpened condition, guard and leather washers very tight. The only known production number from . This article appears in the July 2021 issue of KNIFE Magazine. Do you think that the Government would have specifically requested the chrome plating, or that the manufactures supplied them from their existing stock to fill orders? My guesstimate would be about 1925 (IIRC the founding year for Kinfolks, but I could be wrong) up to WWII. Most period cutlery companies also produced close copies of the Ideal for use as survival knives in the various branches of the armed forces. The List Price is the suggested retail price of a new product as provided by a manufacturer, supplier, or seller. Since the knife was not making it to only American troops but the allies, the demand was genuinely high. Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this . However, that beauty does come with some challenges in telling the exact era that the knife is from. by btrwtr Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:19 pm, Post My guesstimate would be about 1925(IIRC the founding year for Kinfolks, but I could be wrong) up to WWII. THX SKIP. Certainly Western didn't have facilities to make sheaths in factory before the 50's. If you use the BB code in imgur it's a straight copy and paste. We dont share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we dont sell your information to others. When Vietnam heated up, the Camillus Pilot Survival Knife became a standard-issue item for a wide range of units, including Ranger Companies. However, that should not deter you from knowing when your knife was probably made. This does not impact the price of the item youre buying and it supports me to keep creating the content that you love.
Anthony Williams Designer, Tapeesa Alaska Map, Shooting In Manchester Nj Today, Articles K