It was nice to meet you and discuss matters further. Thanks for your time, Bob. Im glad we could have this discussion. With respect to Maulik V's answer above, I'd say that "Same here" is a bit too informal in US English and could sound dismissive or rude if the speaker is not careful. But what if you got to know the person via email, for example? Thank you for sharing some of these interesting facts with me. Do you say speaking with you or speaking to you? Why does Mister Mxyzptlk need to have a weakness in the comics. Read more about Martin here. We should meet again in a few weeks. I appreciate your time is another good way to refer to meeting someone in the past. Martin holds a Masters degree in Finance and International Business. "@type": "Answer", I wish we could prolong the meeting a bit more. In this case, it is a noun. In language studies, expressions like this are what we refer to as leave-taking devices. Where does this (supposedly) Gibson quote come from? I meant with regard to your book search - there are 'too' many variants to get many results with the specificity you searched. Get the most rated articles on your email! It was lovely to meet you. Its quite versatile, so it can work well in either context. ), Polite: It shows that you had a great experience meeting someone and talking to them about things. Doe.. "I'm always going to remember my time working here. It still works in both contexts. Needless to say, today can be conveniently replaced by other time expressions like this morning, this afternoon, or this evening, depending on the conversational context. It was lovely to meet you. Is it possible to rotate a window 90 degrees if it has the same length and width? It was nice to talk to you about this. It shows that you respect and value their time. -Same here. It helped to ease my mind about the way things are going right now. I know youre busy, but I appreciate you meeting me. It's been my pleasure, and I wish all of you well in the future." When to use which of your example sentences is all up to what tense the verb is in. } F. 'You too' or 'And you too' or 'And to you too' but you can see where this starts to lead - we would end up saying the same sentence back to them. To digress a bit to sentence structure, the, In a similar vein, we would also hear the relevant phrase. Its a good phrase to use to show that you enjoyed the first meeting with someone. responses. Yes, its a very informal one. Watch the video: Only 1 percent of our visitors get these 3 grammar questions right 10 Best Ways to Say You Havent Met Someone, 9 Ways to Say It Was a Pleasure Doing Business with You, 12 Best Replies To Nice Meeting You On Email (Business Context), 9 Better Ways to Say The Pleasure Is All Mine, 9 Other Ways to Say Im Good At on a Resume, 10 Polite Ways to Say No Visitors after Surgery, 11 Best Ways to Say Im Here for You to a Loved One, 10 Professional Ways to Say I Am Not Feeling Well. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? I didnt know how bad it got. I appreciate you spending the time to talk to me about your concerns with this place. Heres a quick list for you, including all the expressions and set phrases: Parting messages are common in both written and spoken conversations. You can make use of it when someone else has introduced you to a new person, for example. Is that okay with you? What about these options I wrote off the top of my head? Believe me, I wish to say the same to you! You deserve to be happy with your choices. Thoroughly is used here to stress your enjoyment. You may also like: 12 Better Ways To Say Nice To Meet You Online (Zoom Or Email). Yes, it was. As a texted response, it would be okay with a friend. I look forward to working closely with you in the future. The preferred synonyms are it was a pleasure talking to you, it was nice talking to you, and it was great meeting you. These work well in formal settings to show that you were happy to spend some time getting to know someone.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'grammarhow_com-box-3','ezslot_3',105,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-grammarhow_com-box-3-0'); It was a pleasure talking to you is a simple alternative that works well. Do you want two examples, one for formal and one for casual? I appreciated your time. There's a whole range of possible answers, ranging from "Thank you" to "The pleasure was mine", with some neutral and perhaps even derogatory replies possible (try to avoid the derogatory ones :) ). Once you reach an agreement, you could tell the people you negotiated with that it was a pleasure working with them by using the following phrases: "Thank you so The first one is extremely informal & actually doesn't make a great deal of sense if you analyse it, but it's a common form. Welcome to Grammarhow!We are on a mission to help you become better at English. Heres The Difference, 10 Best Ways to Say You Havent Met Someone, Is Dear All Appropriate In A Work Email? (more informal, use with a good or frequent chat buddy only) Is the God of a monotheism necessarily omnipotent? Yes, but only if its a very informal conversation. It would be rude not to accept the compliment. So, here is how to respond to a nice to meet you email! It was very nice to meet you too. Well, first of all, you need to remember that the way we answer such questions does not only show how well-behaved and polite we are. The message itself also signals the idea that the conversation or interaction went well or at least as planned and expected. { Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. This way of responding is best to be used if you are excited about building a new working relationship with a new person, your colleague, at work. Even responding to a question as common as Hows your day? can come off as a little discomforting if we dont have enough responses in our word bank. Thank you so much! It was nice to catch up with my old boss. Another way to say this phrase is to say It was nice meeting you. E.g., you can use such phrases as It's great connecting with you., Pleased to meet you., Lovely to meet you., How do you do?, or Delighted to make your acquaintance (but this one is super formal!). Friendly: Im glad we could meet. -I feel the same. My pleasure is an idiomatic response to Thank you. It is similar to Youre welcome, but more polite and more emphatic. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. My response might depend on exactly who I am talking with, but I can think of the following which I would say at least some of the time. again after a while, Reese. It shows someone that youve had a great time, and you hope they have enjoyed it too. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Hey there. So, in our post today, we list down different ways of expressing the same intent as with It was a pleasure speaking with you.. While similar to being delighted, there are still different ways we can use nice, like so: Again, we can use a more powerful word than nice to reply to nice meeting you. Changing the reply to It was a pleasure meeting you is a great way to show that youre enthusiastic and happy that you met your business partner. We can use It was a pleasure talking to you today, for example, after having a discussion over breakfast, lunch, or dinner with another person. In this case, check out a few alternatives to nice to meet you reply we have prepared for you below! If the message is strictly business, for example, then bypassing the nice to meet you part could make your email sound a bit too abrupt. Use it in formal conversation when someone thanks you for doing a favor, and you want to respond in a way that tells them that you were very happy to help and that you enjoyed it. We might use this phrase in the following ways: It was a pleasure meeting you is a stronger phrase than nice meeting you, which is why it makes for a good response. For example: One person will say It is nice to meet you and the other will reply The pleasure is all mine., From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (its) my pleasurespoken used when someone has thanked you for doing something and you want to say that you were glad to do it pleasureExamples from the Corpus(its) my pleasure Thanks for coming. My pleasure.. You always know what to say to help me understand things. In this view, It was nice talking to you should be more suitable. I would like to offer you a place at our company if youre willing to take it. Let me know if theres anything else you need from me at any point. I feel like Ive cleared a lot of the problems that I was having because of you. Related: 11+ Ideas How to Respond to a Cancellation Request? It was great meeting you also, and I hope there will be plenty more opportunities for us to meet in the future. This is my wife. Pleased to meet you. Share Improve this I had a great time works when we want to show that we enjoyed our business meeting. So is it correct to use this nice to meet you phrase? Welcome to Grammarhow!We are on a mission to help you become better at English. 8. It was nice talking to you. I will not forget this meeting anytime soon. Especially in the business world, where everyone appreciates people who are getting down to business straight away. Here they are with example dialogues for contextualization: If we want to show the person that we are excited to meet him or her, we would most likely use Looking forward to talking to you in speaking or writing. It was great fun hanging out with you! It only takes a minute to sign up. You might see emails signed with this phrase in the following ways: It was great meeting you also is slightly more formal than nice to meet you. If you want to keep a good impression with whoever youre talking to, then this is the best choice for you. When would you like to meet again to discuss further arrangements? It was a pleasure, as always. Hope to catch up again soon! I enjoyed your company too. Thank you for your kind words, and its been a pleasure. We can shorten thank you to thanks in informal situations. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. A special one for the ladies: Well, of course, there are alternative greeting phrases. (shake hands) Them: Nice to talk to you! Jones: It was nice talking to you. I am glad you enjoyed it. How do I align things in the following tabular environment? So now we are sure that you will not get puzzled when hearing or reading that nice to meet you phrase since you have a lot of optional answers to choose from! @syntaxerror where do you live? I've learned so much, had amazing experiences, and worked with some great people. If you want to go all Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers on him, you respond, "Likewise, I'm sure." or perhaps "Same here!" But in formal contexts, I might say "The pleasure B: I had a great time too, Ash. Because casual and formal rarely describe the same thing. Its most common in formal or business contexts since youre more like to have a discussion that requires your attention. I eagerly look forward to our next meeting! Its a great alternative because it gets right to the point and shows someone that you enjoyed talking to them. How to create your own style, how to look beautiful, and select trendy colors for your hair - these are just a few of many issues Kate will happily explain in Beezzly Beauty blogs! And if you explain why exactly you feel so excited (you have heard of this persons achievements and you want to work with such a great professional, etc. Our goal is to create English lessons that are easy to understand for everyone. -Yes, same here! , Mrs. Anderson. There are some responses I use when someone says Nice to meet you: Them: Its nice to meet you! This response on Quora is helpful. Me: Likewise. I hope you make some time for me again in the future, as I had a really fun time here. The pleasure's mine. Give me a call whenever you want to do this again. Bill: Pleased to meet you. Enter a Melbet promo code and get a generous bonus, An Insight into Coupons and a Secret Bonus, Organic Hacks to Tweak Audio Recording for Videos Production, Bring Back Life to Your Graphic Images- Used Best Graphic Design Software, New Google Update and Future of Interstitial Ads. 11+ Ideas How to Respond to a Cancellation Request? Is there anything specific youd like me to run you through before our next meeting? Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. ", It should be interesting. Answer. It has been a If not, what's the alternative? Here are the results found in COCA using two searches [be] nice talking to|with you, and [be] nice to talk to|with you, grouped by the intended time. But it does sound as if you are in a hurry to say good bye. (friendly/enthusiastic) Posted on Published: May 18, 2022- Last updated: May 20, 2022. This will surely help you to establish strong and positive social bonds with them! Me: I assure you, the pleasure was all mine (shake hands). While most of the expressions above can indeed be useful in both real life encounters and email correspondence, the following two expressions are mainly used in email writing and other written contexts. Welcome to EL&U. It was good to talk to you is a good choice even if youre not familiar with the person youre speaking to. Lovely is a slightly more informal adjective in this case, so it works best when youve already set up a comfortable and familiar relationship with the recipient. 6 How to respond to a person saying pleasure ? I understand what to expect from the situation now. Again, steering away from the outright replies, you might want to use something like this to set up a second meeting. How do you calculate calories in home cooked food? I wonder if you ran into your ex-teacher and had a pleasant conversation with him or her, and before leaving your teacher said, "It was nice talking to you," would you reply your teacher with "Thank you. Thats why this answer is especially useful when you are greeting your new colleague! However, you should only use it informally when youre at least a little bit familiar with the person youre speaking with. Can these two sentences be used together? What do you reply to its my pleasure? "mainEntity": [ You should come for dinner with us this weekend. (friendly/enthusiastic) -Good chatting with you too! Thank you so much. We should have dinner or lunch sometime. It was a pleasure speaking with you is seen as a polite way to leave a conversation. A: I still need to do the groceries, so I should get going. Me: Likewise. I appreciate you meeting me. At the same time, with a bad reply, our impression can be badly tarnished! Although this one practically conveys the same meaning as It was great seeing you, It was lovely seeing you definitely conveys a cozier feeling than the former. 2. Sam: Oh! This is just mean. The difference between the phonemes /p/ and /b/ in Japanese. and hear some great insights, Dr. Patterson. I had a lot of fun learning from you. It was lovely to meet you is another great alternative you can use when meeting someone for the first time. The expression It was a pleasure speaking with you generally has a formal connotation. Thank you for having me. They allow you to learn more about what might be happening outside of your immediate circle. Anyway, be careful when using this reply! Some more casual phrases that mean mostly the same thing are: It Read more about Martin here. ", which is an issue raised by an ELL member, syntaxerror, that "It was nice talking to you." What Is the Difference Between 'Man' And 'Son of Man' in Num 23:19? What is the best time / are the best times for a meeting? Im glad that we got to spend some time working closely together over these last few days. The answers to it was a pleasure meeting you can be: Its a pleasure meeting you as well. What if its your new colleague? Watch the video: Only 1 percent of our visitors get these 3 grammar questions right Nice To Meet You Vs Nice Meeting You? is more appropriate, and the choice between talking to or talking with was questioned. Why is this sentence from The Great Gatsby grammatical? I look forward to working closely with you in the future. So when people say nice to meet you, how to respond correctly? Ill be happy to help where I can. Want to improve this question? }, Sitemap. Im glad you were willing to give me the time of day. What is another word for its a pleasure? It was nice to meet you today. You can respond by saying Nice to meet you too or Great to meet you too or Its my pleasure to meet you too. My pleasure is another way of saying youre welcome after being thanked, not another way of saying please. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. It was lovely to see you again, Sarah. Its been great to talk to you. I hope you dont mind me saying that Im quite surprised by how well that went. Im glad we could have this discussion is a great phrase in many situations. We can use this expression, for instance, when dealing with business acquaintances with whom we bump into at random. How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. However, this common phrase adds a dash of politeness to your message. We can make use of this expression when we talk to someone that we highly respect or admire a lot. Im glad we could spend this time getting to know each other before we started on the same project. Highly formalistic in tonality, It was an honor to speak with you is something we would use in special cases. Anyway, if simple nice to meet you sounds too much cliched for you, feel free to change it and try one of the following variations instead: With these replies, you will easily find the most suitable one that can be used in your particular case. Welcome, a good response is, Thank you! If one of you says, Thank you! first, one of the appropriate responses is, Youre welcome. Other responses might include, Dont mention it. It was nothing.. -Yes, it was nice to talk with you too. It was great meeting you. And you too, is the best way to respond to it was a pleasure talking with you. We say thank you because the person speaking to us is being polite and kind. if some one send to me: it was a real pleasure meeting you, what is the best to reply with? How to Respond to Nice to Meet You In Email? Answer. It is my utmost pleasure to share with all of you guys what I know about languages and linguistics in general. (more informal, use with a good or frequent Authors may put "talk to" in the mouths of paper people. As a simple reply, you can use "The pleasure is mine". Jones: It was nice talking to you. Is nice to meet ya an informal reply? I would just say "Yeah, you too!". I'll talk with you later. One of the things we say is It was a pleasure speaking with you.. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. It should be a really interesting one. These acts make a lot of sense because we need them to maintain both professional and intimate relationships with everyone around us. If the verb is in the present tense, it's not going to be used when the event is almost over or after it is finished. “Was” is one of the simple past forms of “be.”" can come off as a little discomforting if we dont have enough responses in our word bank. Please, dont hesitate to contact me if theres anything else youd like to talk about. You can also use it as a response when someone introduces themselves to you. "text": "It is grammatically correct to say “It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday” because the time expression “yesterday” precisely coincides with the verb tense in this sentence. This phrase works best when youre meeting a powerful person (i.e. However, some of you probably wondered sometimes how you should reply to such a common greeting phrase as nice to meet you. It was very nice for me to meet you as well! Sally: My pleasure, Bill. You always seem to know how to make business lunches more interesting. "@type": "Question", It should be written as such, It is very nice to meet you, or It is a pleasure to meet you, that would be present tense. Even if they are socially polite and approved! We dont actually shake hands with that person, nor do we make eye contact. Thank you. WebIt was great meeting you, Abbie. Eng is full of these 'is it polite to chop it down too far?' Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. } It shows that you had a good time talking to them. However, I always reply this way, Thank you. It was lovely to see you is somewhere between informal and formal English. ", "How are you doing?" He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. WebIf it's the first time you meet/know someone, I think is more suitable, which means I'm glad to know (meet) you. This strategy also makes the message receiver remember who the writer of the email message is. Is it ok to say same to you when someone says nice to meet you to me? In a similar vein, we would also hear the relevant phrase It has been a pleasure working with you when one wants to express gratitude in work-related contexts. When we talk to each other, we have to follow some basic rules of politeness, otherwise, people would start talking about us as rude and ill-behaved individuals! Myself I would use your option c "Me too", or perhaps a combination of c and d: "You too". Is it appropriate to use "reunion" for meeting only one person after a long time? "Although I'm leaving, I wanted to tell you what a pleasure it was being your colleague." We make use of such kind of language to let the other person know that the discussion is over. It shows that you have had a lot to think about since meeting with someone. (I would probably not actually say this one, but 'me too' seems to be used more and more these days as a generic response, even if the logic doesn't work: A: It was good to see you again. when I'm about to leave. Hey fellow Linguaholics! The phrase is a response to thank you and similar to youre welcome, but with a little more politeness. It works by showing them that youre interested in working with them, even if you dont quite have anything ready for them at the minute. We don't say wear formal casual clothes or casual formal clothes :), There's another thing in both the OP and the title that made me frown in the first place. Would you like to bring a friend? Does ZnSO4 + H2 at high pressure reverses to Zn + H2SO4? You say, The pleasure was mine. Its me, Marcel. I really enjoyed our conversation on Zoom, and Im excited about the possibility of joining It couldnt have been easy, but I do appreciate your time. And you too feel the same. A catch up is a conversation you can have with someone when youve not had a chance to talk to them for at least a few weeks. In touch is a phrase that means establish communication with someone, which is quite literally what youre doing when you email someone. It was a real pleasure talking to you, sir. Learn more about us here. Its been a pleasure means that the time you spent together was a pleasure for you and implies that youre looking forward to doing it again. You might want to set up a second meeting as a reply, and we can do so like this: Martin holds a Masters degree in Finance and International Business. Same here."? Do electronic pest repellers work on termites? This is why we recommend you check out a few ways how to respond to nice to meet you best of all. Thank you, I had a great time learning about the business today. Or, It may sound weird to some of you, but there are quite many people out there who become clueless and even puzzled when they have to answer to such a common greeting phrase as nice to meet you! Recovering from a blunder I made while emailing a professor, Follow Up: struct sockaddr storage initialization by network format-string. How to respond to a person saying pleasure ? Id like to do this again sometime if that works for you. It is common to respond simply with Likewise, or with It is nice to meet you too. At school, asked by a teacher to share something with the class, It would be my pleasure to answer the question.. It was a pleasure meeting you today at the government building. B: Wish we had more time to talk earlier. Please see, Well, I'm not a native speaker, but I have this kinda sensor which recalls to my mind that I haven't ever heard a native speaker use "talk, You can use "talk with" in this case: "Come here son, I need to talk with you.". John: Have you met Sally Hill? After all, he may be lying about it being a pleasure on HIS part. Me too. What am I doing wrong here in the PlotLegends specification? Hi! We say good things to people all the time. "@type": "FAQPage", Learn more about us here. But what if its not your case? Of course, it is very nice to say something pleasant and polite that will let your new contact know that you are happy to meet them. This keeps our relationships intact and intimate. Happy to help with any other projects in the future! It was lovely to see you here, Michael. This seems like the tongue-in-cheek dark, twisted brit humour Best reply for is was a pleasure meeting you [closed], We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup, Concise words for "completed" and "planned" tasks in meeting minutes, How should I reply to "Dude, are you there?". rev2023.3.3.43278. I hope thats the first of many meetings we have together. It was great to meet you! ), you will make him or her feel valued and respected. Hello. Having said that, It was a pleasure talking to you today, It was a pleasure talking to you this morning, It was a pleasure talking to you this afternoon, and It was a pleasure talking to you this evening are all possible alternatives to use. A: Thank you so much for coming today, Finn. You dont have to write to meet you after pleasure. The phrase already works well to show that you enjoyed your time with someone. I had a great time with you. Ill let you know what I decide once Ive had some time to think things through. This would be a simple concise response showing that you are also pleased to meet this person. I enjoyed researching the best practices and creating the report. It was lovely to meet you. Thank you. B: Yes. 5. Which is, Another Stack Exchange site that might be better for questions like this one is. It was lovely to meet you too. It is intended to show that whatever you did you were very happy to do so. These messages maintain peace and harmony in society. Me: I assure you, the pleasure was [I hope we can do it again some time {polite}. But if you are a businessman or a business lady, you know that time values greatly, and so you would rather spend it on making business rather than on empty and useless talks. However, I don't know much about Indian English, so it may be perfectly acceptable there. I did, too. How do you respond to it was a pleasure talking with you? It is a great pleasure to meet you as well. When talking about a past event, talking to is the favored choice by most speakers. B: Thank you for coming tonight, Jane. I want to see what else you can come up with that might help us here. B: Me too.) It is grammatically correct to say It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday because the time expression yesterday precisely coincides with the verb tense in this sentence. On the other hand, if you have some positive or upbeat things to say, it makes sense to be direct and go straight to the exciting details. However, it often happens that a person gets stuck trying to find a proper answer even if he or she meets the most pleasant and loveliest person in the world! 1) I started playing the violin recently. It shows that you value the time you got to discuss something with someone. I appreciated your time yesterday. The best replies to nice meeting you on email is either Its been a pleasure or it was nice to make your acquaintance. Did this satellite streak past the Hubble Space Telescope so close that it was out of focus? But avoid the K reply, which can feel terse and rude. (shake hands) Them: Nice to talk to you! I had a great time meeting you and getting to know the business today. I hope we get to work together again soon. Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? Let me know if youd like to meet up to discuss anything like this again. It was nice to make your acquaintance. It was nice to talk to you about this. B: I missed having these conversations with you, too, Farrah. Nice meeting you too. @Ollie: Well, I'd expect virtually every native speaker to be familiar with this "stock response" - I only included a link to show just, Responding to "It was nice to talk to you", english.stackexchange.com/questions/1029/, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup, Differences between "How are you?
Jeff Sutton Daughter Wedding, Cdc Kf94 Approved List, Harvard Architecture Portfolio, Is Blue Gatorade Ok For Colonoscopy, Articles H