Students can create them, or teachers can create them for students. Listenwise regularly posts newfree current events podcastsyou can share with your students. I create raps for my students and my though was that I would take parts of ALL of their submissions and create a WWII rap to add to the collection they have heard already. Media-Rich Research PaperAny kind of research paper can be given a big boost when done in a Google Doc, because students can insert images, drawings, and links to other relevant resources, like articles and videos. Ive given an interactive, collaborative, history test to 7th graders. Copyright 2021. This would make a nice final product for a unit on informational writing or a way for students to demonstrate their learning at the end of a unit in science (How to Take Care of Lab Equipment), social studies (How to Measure Distance on a Map), or math (How to Multiply Fractions). Continue to make changes and duplicate until the animation is complete. For models and inspiration, elementary and middle school students can read student-written reviews on sites like Spaghetti Book Club. Click here to see my quick one-question self-grading quiz. When you use Science Buddies with Google Classroom, you get access to extra quizzes and assessments too. 7. 16. Hi Jim! If we understand its features and how they can support solid teaching and learning, we can create better learning experiences. Or students can create them to share with other students. #DitchBook. Its a simple idea, but take the time to write out detailed instructions. Assign practice problems using Google Classroom apps, and students receive on-the-spot feedback. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); a word processing program that behaves similarly to Microsoft Word, a presentation program similar to PowerPoint, and. For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links: Matt provides in-person and virtual keynotes, workshops and breakout sessions that equip, inspire and encourage teachers to create change in their classrooms. Keep asking yourself, How could the technology make the learning experience better?. We love it because it saves teachers prep time with its library of thousands of templates organized by grade level and subject area. This is also a terrific go-to during science fair season, with scientific method resources galore, science fair planning tools, and an enormous repository of project ideas. 2. This idea is inspired by Matt Macfarlane, a middle school history teacher from California. Pop that up on an iPad or laptop and youre all set. Before teachers plan a lesson using forms, they should make sure the feature is enabled for students in their district. Our brains like to look on a page for white space where our eyes can rest. I saw your template but dont understand how it know which slide to go to next based on your choice. Click here to see that file (and feel free to make a copy and change the text for yourself!). Heres how Alice puts it: Consider when creating assignments to also specifically consider how parents will understand what their child is doing and how they can help support their child in learning. This would make a nice final product for a unit on informational writing or a way for students to demonstrate their learning at the end of a unit in science (How to Take Care of Lab Equipment), social studies (How to Measure Distance on a Map), or math (How to Multiply Fractions). The comments would show up in the margins and would be arranged by corresponding content, not time like a typical blog post. The middle school I teach at implemented a 1:1 program last year with Chromebooks, so the students have easy access to all of the Google apps. []. Use one of the thousands of quizzes already available, or create your own. This post is full of them! Students researched, they designed and collaborated in a span of 45 minutes, it was glorious! After logging in you can close it and return to this page. And any tutorials students make could be stored for later, so other students can also benefit from them. This resource includes: 2 Google Slides presentations: Los peces with 10 slides explaining characteristics of this group of animals and Preguntas peces with 4 slides with questions. What sets BookWidgets apart is that you can do all of that without ever having to visit another site. In addition to all the learning, students get cool rewards that build their digital profile and world. You can also click on Add-Ons in the menu bar and add the Speech Recognition Soundwriter extension for free. Thisshared Google Slides activityI posted about gives a great framework for establishing a space and how students can use it. learning game, focused specifically on reading skills for grades 2-8. If you want to share video or audio, you can just put these files into a shared folder in Drive and give all students access to those files. Organize by chapter or unit. Thanks for compiling these resources. Thanks! Then, of course, all done with collaboration! Thoughts? It's also possible to createvia Google Slides. Tynker is an interactive coding program that teaches students the basic building blocks of coding and even transitions them to learning about JavaScript and Python. When you attach a file and choose make a copy, it automatically distributes copies of that file to each students AND adds the students names to the file name. Bang! With Loom there isnt a time limit. It was a simple one that can be played just by clicking through the slides. a survey-creation tool similar to Survey Monkey. What will actually be assessed and what will they be accountable for? This bundle of Google Slides templates is perfect for the first day of school. This is an especially cool app for students who are hesitant to speak up in front of a groupit gives everyone a chance to be heard. Heres another fun (and free!) game. BrainPOP has video lessons on all sorts of topics for grades K-8, including accompanying vocabulary, quizzes, and games. Thanks for sharing these ideas. They had to create 1 slide with some specific information and add to a collaborative google slides presentation that I shared on Google Classroom. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1vjc-pAkLZ8nxa_BaRmdBtmMqNmgECpxS8z8FmUMWFn4/edit, [] 8 interactive Google Slides activities for classroom excitement #edtech #gafechat @jmattmiller ditchthattextbook.com/2016/01/06/8-i []. There really are so many things you can have the kids do I would first think about what youre expecting the kids to be able to do in the end. Start meaningful conversations and encourage student engagement with the online platform that "creates a powerful learning loop between students, teachers, and families.". Find the flash cards you need in their extensive library, or create your own to support any kind of lesson. Older or advanced students might work toward more sophisticated, nuanced review styles like. Click here to see my quick one-question self-grading quiz. Each article is marked with reading/interest-level guidelines and offers lesson plan ideas for use with Common Core and National Curriculum Standards. #ditchbook, Resource: Google Slides: Collaborative Meme Templateby Alice Keeler, A2. Blindfolded Obstacle Game. BONUS Google Slides Game Template: Use Google Slides to create a Family Feud-style game for your next class/PD. To create more complex games, you can create links to different slides in the presentation. When they did get logged in because we have iPads it wanted them to download the App. Whenever peopleenter responses to a Form, Google allows the form creator to view responsesin charts and graphs. I created a quick example of an impromptu, decide-on-a-whim vacation trip story where you decide for the main character. Im a college student (who is now a nanny which brought me to this page) and for the screen recording, I highly reccomend Loom over Screencastify. Animate a concept. to record the presentation since we werent recording at the same time. For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links: Matt provides in-person and virtual keynotes, workshops and breakout sessions that equip, inspire and encourage teachers to create change in their classrooms. They can either record their own voice as narration, add background music, or both. Hi! The digital activities on this page include a variety of skills and subjects areas, so you will be able to find lots of different resources that will save you time! Any clues/suggestions?? When any student asks a question, type your response (and the question) in the document. After just a few weeks, I absolutely fell in love with it! So students can work together on a story, a script for a play, or any other kind of group writing project. Get it: First Day of School Google Slides Templates. 29. MagazineAlong the same lines as an e-book, students could use a similar template to create a PDFmagazine or newsletter that is shared online on a regular schedule. The login page will open in a new tab. As other students view or the project, they can be sent to a form to offer praise or constructive criticism, which the creator would then be able to view privately and use to improve the project. This opens a channel of communication through private comments and gives you a digital space to leave a grade. Brainstorm with digital sticky notes. I just learned recently that you can create quizzes now, which is awesome because all of the testing in my district is done on the computers, so this will help prepare my students. Very interesting ideas. Where do I go to find accessibility features of Google docs, slides, and forms? Because Google Docs is cloud-based, multiple people can work on a Doc at the same time. This supplemental resource will provide your students with review and fun at the same time.This pack includes BOTH digital activities and printable activities.It has been updated to include digital slides that work inside of Google Slides. Students and teachers everywhere love it, and its easy to use alongside Google Classroom. My district uses Google Classroom, but the forms app is blocked on student accounts- I think because its a perfect medium for under-the-radar cyberbullying (How much do you hate Linda?A little, a lot, a ton). The free basic program gives you lots of fun options; upgrade for even more features. Teachers can sign up for a 30-day trial and then explore a paid version from there. Im looking for ideas that they can collaborate on, via Google Docs, Slides, etc. Every feature (including an extensive image library) is already included. Within a shared Doc, everyone with permission can be in and typing at the same time. Finally, we love doing Meme Monday where they make a meme out of our LT and post it to the google slide. Heres how it would work: Each student creates her own form, asking for the kind of feedback she wants on the project. (Feel free to make a copy by going to File > Make a copy but please don't click "Share" and ask for edit access.). (I suggest checking out Understanding Backward Design if you havent already.) Boddle is a super-engaging math platform for K-6 (they recently launched ELA content!) I guess my favorite use would have to be either magnetic poetry or Caption That. I learned about this tip from the incomparable Alice Keeler, one of the worlds foremost experts in Google Classroom. The tracking features allow you to monitor their progress and comprehension and integrate easily with Google Classroom. You can even create questions on the slides for self-assessment or a link to a Google Forms quiz for a more formal assessment. and pass it digitally to another student (through a shared folder or with a link). Could you help me to suggest some kind of game to use in Communication Skilss? Hi! For this activity, you put kids in small groups . For models and inspiration, elementary and middle school students can read student-written reviews on sites like, . Create a slide presentation, change it to the dimensions you prefer, add content and finalize by going to File > Download as > PDF Document. Im not sure what could be used to map out classroom jobs specifically from this post, and I think the ideas here go way beyond essay outlinesplease get back to me to clarify exactly what youre referring to, because we believe all the ideas here are good for student use. I cant wait to explore some of these options more. ), Google Slides can be used to create lots of different games. Communicate assignment criteria with students. It also includes a suite of versatile creation tools, many of which perform the same functions asthe ones we use in other spaces. Helps get the creative juices flowing! Here's another example, created by a student of Mandi Tolen's. I can picture how that would work, yes, but I guess the aesthetic experience might be lacking in a Google Form. I am a huge fan of Google resources, but you have showed me some new ways I can use these. Learn how to get the most from Kahoot! You can post memes, funny TikToks, or share struggles, though. I found google slides very helpful last semester. #ditchbook https://t.co/PUEHlwqfzj, Resource: 10+ FREE EduProtocol templates + ideas for using them, A2: thin slides @jcorippo & collaborative slides @alicekeeler Everyone on the same slide deck, make 1 slide about..#ditchbook, Resource: An example Thin Slides template, A2: So many ways to use Slides with students! Create another game-show-style review game. How? This is certainly not a new idea, but publishingthe work electronically allows students to enhance the final product with the books cover image, a link to the books page on Amazon, and even links to other titles the author has written or articles on related topics. Answer: Here's a code: w53egye It's for a google classroom based around "community". How collaboration enhances the assignment, What behavior is appropriate for the space. Create and post assignments Create an assignment Post, schedule, or save a draft assignment Manage assignments Edit an assignment Add a class comment to the assignment Reuse an. It will work great will my history classes. Thanks again, I truly enjoy reading your blogs! Any help would be appreciated. At the beginning of this year, I started with a google form I created where students answered review questions from 6th grade Math. 25. 6. Try it: Classcraft 6. 2023 Ditch That Textbook by Matt Miller. I also would like to suggest my own (free) templates site. Although I teach Math, I found a lot of your project ideas to be utilized cross-curriculum and I truly appreciate it. Sometimes taking the talking out of an activity makes it easier for self-conscious middle schoolers to get involved. Students practice writing sentences by stretching them with these fun Google Classroom activities! How to add Google Drawings comic strips to your class, I spy numbers, can you? Its easy to share your grids and assignments with Google Classroom. Assignments is an application for your Learning Management System (LMS). Can you direct me? To learn more about the possibilities, see my post from earlier this year onStudent E-Books. Click here to see that file (and feel free to make a copy and change the text for yourself!). Any thoughts would be appreciated. The free version has all the basic features and a decent amount of storage. PBS has a huge variety of video resources on every imaginable subject, all of which are easy to share in your virtual classroom. You can create self-paced assessments that provide answer feedback with Google Slides. This is Holly Burcham, a Customer Experience Manager. I DO like your Choose Your Own Adventure story/activity. Wed love to give a specific answer, so please let us know which part of the post or which comment you saw that youd like more clarification on. In this quick sample, I added music from YouTubes library of royalty-free music that anyone can use to enhance their recordings: Video TutorialUsing the same screencasting software mentioned above, students could also create their own video tutorials by creating a Slides presentation on their topic (such as How to Open a Combination Lock), then recording the slideshow with narration. This is a great skill for students to have. Adobe Express is now available in Google Classroom, which makes it easier than ever to incorporate more opportunities for creative thinking and communication into your assignments. Assign learning quests through Google Classroom, and kids will clamor to do their homework! Everyone benefits. Being able to organize information visually is an important skill, and students who understand how to build a table in Google Docs will have a skill for presenting all kinds of information in the future. 3. Teachers can create customized assignments and assign them right into their Google Classrooms. When a question is selected, draw an X through it with a dry erase marker. How to add Google Drawings comic strips to your class, I had a student use slides this week to write her own interactive math children's story. I think using some of the ideas in the Slides section of the post could work really well, especially Student Made E-Books, or making a short film. Book ReviewInstead of a book report, have students write a book review instead. Although Drive also includes other tools, these threeare particularly useful for creating rigorous, academically robust projects. Im excited as to what I can do with and in google drive. Its super easy to add attachments to Google Classroom assignments. Google Slides is a great, simple PDF ebook creation tool. Whenever you want to create new assignments, questions, or material, you'll need to navigate to the Classwork tab. We originally curated 8 interactive Google Slides activities in this post but have found so many amazing ideas since then we knew we need to update! With Slides you have complete creative freedom to design the slides like a real book. Leave great instructions. WeVideo is a creative and unique way for your students to demonstrate their understanding of a unit of study. classroom game | students activities in classroom | @STUDENTSGAMES Your queries :What is a fun game to play in class?What are some good cl. It will have daily motivation and quotes. Use the topics in the Classwork section of Google Classroom to organize items in Classroom. "Add and pass" activity in Google Drawings. It was very difficult to figure out how to merge our parts of the presentation into a single file.). She suggests that, in addition to writing instructions for students, we add a parent corner geared specifically toward them. But we dont want it to become a dumping ground for lots of stuff your students realistically wont use. Share, collaborate, communicate, and so much more. Click the link below to contact us and learn how you can bring Matt to your school or district! Is there an available rubric or assessment piece for the museum kiosk activity? The login page will open in a new tab. Super Simple BlogIf you dont want to mess with actual blogging platforms, but want students to be able to experience writing blog posts that contain images and hyperlinks to other websites, this could be accomplished easily in a single running Google Doc. First Day of School. Some fun themes include hat day, crazy hair day, mismatch day, sports-theme day, or school spirit day. Great collection of resources! The first slide can have links to the different modules of the course. Although Drive also includes other tools, these threeare particularly useful for creating rigorous, academically robust projects. Youve given me many ideas and inspired more to develop. I am a 6th grade math teacher so am trying to find ways to utilize our Google classroom tools. Check out Boomwriter: A Fun Twist on Collaborative Writing. Here are some ways to Google Classroom's features to make good assignments even better: 1a. Here are some tips for using Newsela in any classroom. I created it using Google Slides, just like the ebooks I describe above. Creating a Citation. 1. here. See an example of an "online course" template here. Teachers can assign a single text or a text set to their students through Google Classroom. Have students gain a better understanding of how data can be represented visually by accepting responses (or entering their own fake ones) into aForm, then looking at how the numbers are represented in graphs. Google Classroom was created to help teachers teach and learners learn so that tech stays out of their way to do it. A word of caution: This is a great way to distribute digital versions of mindless electronic worksheets. I want to borrow your idea of having students create peer surveys that they can post on Google classroom in order to gather information and analyze results. He gives students an "anyone with link can view" link so they're read-only. Pear Deck uses proven formative assessment strategies to adapt instruction to meet student needs. But these slide apps(like Google Slides and PowerPoint in Office 365) really are powerful tools for delivering interactive user experiences. 3. Every student will get a different bingo sheet. Let students ask questions privately. , Tags: assessment, content area literacy, English language arts, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, project-based learning, teaching with tech, tech tools. (i.e. Creating a stop-motion animation can be done relatively easily in Google Slides. Motivate even the most reluctant learners when you gamify your lessons with Classcraft. Play a "Jeopardy!" game. ** 4 Resources You Will . Yes, you could do these things yourself, print them, and have students fill them out, but why not have students practice creating the tables themselves? The Research Packet. Want to see an example? Customize each assignment to indicate how many times a student may attempt each question and whether they see the correct answers when theyre doneinstant feedback that makes learning more meaningful. 11. 1. Its free to assign articles for reading; paid plans provide discussion questions and quizzes too. I Am Done Buying My Students Pencils. Los peces book with 2 levels of difficulty. Comic strips are easy to create in Google Drawings. Students forget that they are actually learning because the gamification aspect is just so fun! So students can work together on a story, a script for a play, or any other kind of group writing project. They make the story options into small video clips and link them together with annotations in the video editor. Teach friendship activities and improve social skills in the classroom with these ideas, such as sharing, taking turns, listening teamwork, & cooperation. Each getting their own slide. However, I would like to try and use a vimeo movie instead of pictures and have my students record their own voice to tell a story that will synchronize with the movie as it is played/progresses. Thanks Matt. You can also select Question if you'd like to . [] https://ditchthattextbook.com/8-interactive-google-slides-activities-for-classroom-excitement/ [], [] Looking for even more ideas to use slides in creative ways? This cute plush is a great addition to your St. Patrick's Day fun. Peer SurveyWhenever students need to gather data to support an argumentative essay or speech, let them gather data quickly and easily by creating a survey with Google Forms. The two students at the board race to slap the correct word with their flyswatters. Here are 10 tips for creating even better assignments for your students. As other students view or the project, they can be sent to a form to offer praise or constructive criticism, which the creator would then be able to view privately and use to improve the project. Click here to check out a post all about it. Each slide had a topic on it and there were photos on the outside edge of the slide. Those callouts have speech bubbles and thought bubbles to add to a drawing. 5. Thats where ClassTag comes in. Social Media Templates. I love letting students collaborate on a single slide deck. You wont believe the incredible amount of free resources available on CK-12. Heres how it would work: Each student creates her own form, asking for the kind of feedback she wants on the project. Even better, have students use it to create presentations, book reports, newsletters, and more right in Google Classroom. XD. Oops updated the link. Student Project #2: Google Slides Biography Research Project. This is one of the most popular online flash-card apps for use with Google Classroom, and its entirely free. (That's how the Jeopardy! Use Screencastify to create annotated movie or book reviews. A concept which makes me cringe in 2016. Oh, and did we mention you can earn real-life rewards like classroom supplies just for doing what you need to do anyway? Thanks. So many creative possibilities! Its packed with free videos, lesson plans, and experiments, all searchable by grade level and subject. To learn more, see this guide from Cornell University Library on How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography. Check! This gives students the ability to animate and turn abstract ideas into tangible, engaging visuals. Using the same screencasting software mentioned above, students could also create their own video tutorials by creating a Slides presentation on their topic (such as How to Open a Combination Lock), then recording the slideshow with narration. The possibilities here are endless, useful for student clubs or sports teams, classroom or grade-level newsletters, or magazines put out by groups of students who share a common interest, like gaming systems, soccer, or books.
California Legacy Plate Font, Guru Raghavendra Swamy Different Names, Wboc Past Anchors, Articles F