I'll give you the opening line from a classic novel, and you identify which book it comes from. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a gentleman in possession of a fortune, must be in want of a wife.". First Lines of Famous Novels Quiz. "Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.". Also popular are the later lines about "fear the mind-killer. "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie. I chose a good reading challenge for myself this year to read more classics. Novel by Opening Lines Quiz Popular Quizzes Today 1 Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield 2 Ballon d'Or Winners by Age 3 Find the Countries of Europe - No Outlines Minefield 4 Countries of the World Literature Author Random Literature or Author Quiz Novel by Opening Lines Can you name the these famous novels from their opening lines? ", "I am not afraid of storms, because I am learning how to sail my ship. What did Alexander have for dinner in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? In its original form, it is the title of a book of Jane-Eyre-inspired short stories. "Not every 13-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial and found guilty.". The Spanish-language novel "Love in the Time of Cholera" was published in English in 1988. Curious George was written by H.A. "Jane Eyre," an 1847 novel by Charlotte Bronte, followed the ups and downs of the life of a dynamic woman named Jane. "It was the day my grandmother exploded.". Well, that's they way Jane wrote 'em, so we won't quibble. Find an interactive version of the activity here, followed by an answer key for the magazine edition. "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.". What else could this be but the late-60s teen classic? Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I'm Elsie! It's going to cost more than one life by the time your mess is cleaned up. ", "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. "Catch-22" is a novel about World War II pilots. There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.. Its illustrations were by Robert Lawson. ", "Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of someone else, someone I loved.". Classic Children's Book Trivia Questions and Answers 1. Rey and published in 1941 by Houghton Mifflin. Bucket.". For each of these book trivia questions, your players will be shown a first line of a book and then they will name the book. Johnny Cade says this to his friend, the narrator Ponyboy Curtis, on his deathbed. Ergo, you may enjoy the challenge of testing your literary knowledge! "The Red Badge of Courage" provided ugly realism to the American Civil War experience and brought fame to author Stephen Crane. Illustrated and written by Robert McCloskey, Make Way for Ducklings was published in 1941. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.". For each of these book trivia questions, your players will be shown a first line of a book and then they will name the book. "Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.". All that cold, cold, wet day.". So what you're saying is that the deck is stacked against you, eh, Pip? Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield, Find the Countries of Europe - No Outlines Minefield, Get the Picture: Fantasy Conflicts by Author, ASOIAF: Blood & Cheese's Fire and Blood Quiz. It'd kill your mammy." Take this first lines from books quiz to see how many first sentences you know! Click the red Take Quiz button to begin. Hermione Granger's First/Last Lines: Book By Book Quiz - By FantasticBowTies. kofiwidget2.init('Leave a Tip! Also, one of the most famous whales. And what better way to fake it than to be able to quote a classic book's most famous line? 1. Good suggestions! J.R.R. Why didn't you warn me?". Barrie's "Peter Pan. Yup, it's another opening line. For this quiz, we've picked what we feel is the best-known, most-quoted line. 'I asked, werent we taking the pistol, or anyhow the long, murderous-looking pike which has hung across our broad kitchen chimney ever since I can remember?'. 2023 Tea and Ink Society Create Theme by Restored 316 "Why didn't you tell me there was danger in men-folk? With that in mind, it's time to test your literary prowess with our weekly quiz. Written by Louis Sachar, Holes was ranked #6 among all-time children's novels in a School Library Journal survey. Written by George Eliot, "Middlemarch" is made up of eight installments from the early 1870s. ", Okay, these are three lines. Which book won the 2020 Pulitzer Prize in the fiction category? Open a modal to take you to registration information, Button that open a modal to initiate a challenge. Ive prepared a little quiz for you on first lines from classic books. Black Beauty was written by Anna Sewell in 1877. "In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.". She followed it up with "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys. Sample Medium Question:It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. White. "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. John Toole killed himself before his outrageously hilarious "A Confederacy of Dunces" became recognized as a lasting work of art. This book about preteens shipwrecked on an island is a perennial student favorite, largely because of its relatively short length and involving plot. Published in 1938, "Murphy" was Samuel Beckett's exploration of a weird guy named Murphy who hangs out alone in the dark and befriends hookers. 2. Many readers point to this as the theme of Ernest Hemingway's classic. The Overstory The Nickel Boys The Underground Railroad The Goldfinch 3. This quiz has 2 formats: you can play it as a. Nope, this quote comes from Their Eyes Were Watching God , Zora Neale Hurston's 1920s-set coming-of-age tale that is celebrated as a staple of both African American and women's literature. : Text Date Added: 08/14/2019 Category Description Based on its first line, name the book. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. Take the famous first lines of books quiz to find out how many you can identify correctly. Written later in his life, this book was largely responsible for Hemingway winning the Nobel Prize for Literature. That is one of the lessons of "The Stranger" by Albert Camus. "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.". Convent residents and Oklahoman men begin a twisted clash in Toni Morrison's "Paradise. Itd kill your mammy.". A book good can feel like a good friend but what about the characters within them? Deeply insightful or painfully self-indulgent? Theyre out there. "I am always saying 'Glad to've met you' to someone I'm not at all glad I met. It was published in 1996 and was the first book in what is now a 5-book series. The catch in "Catch-22" was that anyone who went to the Army's psychologists asking to be let out of combat missions, based on an irrational fear of them, couldn't be taken off combat duty. Being afraid to fly was rational, therefore proof of being sane. . Ding-dong, ding-dong.". Generations of children and adults have since taken it to their hearts. The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon. Lemony Snicket was a pen name for American author, Daniel Handler. "You better not never tell nobody but God. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bront Tom Jones by Henry Fielding Dracula by Bram Stoker Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 5. "Dead men are heavier than broken hearts. The Literary World (Famous Novels) Question: Who wrote Jane Eyre? The Boy in the Tower was written by Polly Ho-Yen. It is considered a children's historical novel set in Elizabethan England at the end of the 16th Century. Find if you're a true expert Written By Mamta Raut Do you consider yourself a true Novel Expert? The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. Charlotte's Web was written by E.B. "It was love at first sight. "Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.". Published on June 25, 2013, Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great was written and illustrated by Bob Shea. 3. Popular Quizzes Today. This line sums up Thomas Hardy's doomed hero in a few words. The black humor of "Catch-22" made Joseph Heller one of the most highly regarded authors of the past century. Which famous classic is this? ", This is the first sentence of the famous Tolstoy novel. If you're wondering why the full line isn't quoted, trust us, it's for the best. ", A black woman named Janie Crawford throws off the bonds of racial inequality in "Their Eyes Were Watching God. Honor and duty are explored in "The Good Soldier," written by Ford Madox Ford in 1915. Can you identify these classic first lines from literature? "Chug, chug, chug. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.". It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. ", The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting.". Based on its first line, name the book. So fun! Hypocrisy takes center stage in Sinclair Lewis' "Elmer Gantry," a collision of morality and human nature. How well do you know the famous opening lines mentioned in this quiz? Still, you've got to put that knowledge to use somehow, right? This site will help you discover those books, and give you a community of kindred spirits who love reading as much as you do. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents . Fun fact: Angelou wrote and read a poem for Bill Clinton's presidential inauguration. It was also made into a film both in 1971 and 2005. Use this quiz to find out which novels universe youre best suited to. "This is the saddest story I have ever heard.". "Beloved" is the harrowing story of a mother who kills her daughter rather than have her grow up a slave in the pre-emancipation South. Popular Quizzes Today. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) David Copperfield (Charles Dickens) Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe) 1984 (George Orwell) Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) More book trivia. It'd kill your mammy., Alice Walker analyzed the oppression of Southern black women in 1982's "The Color Purple. It was written in German. "The sun did not shine. The Queen was angry, and not for the first time. Famous Opening Lines Quiz - By Repsaj600 Popular Quizzes Today 1 Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield 2 Find the Countries of Europe - No Outlines Minefield 3 Countries of the World 4 Click the 'E' Bordering Countries Literature Poem QUIZ LAB SUBMISSION Random Literature or Poem Quiz Famous Opening Lines "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", "I have never begun a novel with more misgiving.". The following quiz contains the opening lines to 11 classic novels. After all, we're not savages.". Or what. Fly Away Home was written by Eve Bunting. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". What did Harper Lee have against blue jays?! Go here to discover which Victorian novel you should read next. It was first released in the United Kingdom. One may as well begin with Helen's letters to her sister. Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. 3. Famous First Lines in Novels Quiz By: Nathan Chandler 4 min Image: NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images About This Quiz Calling all bookworms: How well do you know literature? Bear Country 3. "From the pleasantly situated old town of Mayenfield a footpath leads up through shady green meadows to the foot of the mountains, which, as they gaze down on the valley, present a solemn and majestic aspect.". Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. What did the monsters do with their teeth in Where the Wild Things Are? Tolkien, The Hobbit was published in 1937 in the United Kingdom. "Sophie had waited all her life to be kidnapped.". Lewis. If you haven't seen it lately, check a coffee mug, poster or bumper sticker near you. "When you wish that a Saturday was actually a Monday, you know there is something seriously wrong.". "I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.". Timed Quiz Game. Famous First Lines - 10 questions - 4 mins Tess is speaking here to her mother, who did not warn her of the dangers of her sophisticated "cousin" Alec. Written by A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh was published in 1926. As a new month begins, test your knowledge of the best opening lines in literature. Ill give you the opening line from a classic novel, and you identify which book it comes from. Considered by some to be the greatest novel of the 20th century, this line from George Orwell's "1984" sets the reader up for a whole lot of confusion, chaos and uncertainty. or as shown below. You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.- C. S. Lewis. Here are some you may have missed. Ignorance is strength. Famous first lines of books quiz: You are given the opening line of classic novels, you have to answer which classic novel it is. var app_617d5174fb15ec00181ca85b;(function(d, t){var s=d.createElement(t),options={"appId":"617d5174fb15ec00181ca85b","width":"800","height":"800","async":true,"host":"quiz.tryinteract.com", "footer":"show"};s.src='https://i.tryinteract.com/embed/app.js';s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){var rs=this.readyState;if(rs)if(rs!='complete')if(rs!='loaded')return;try{app_617d5174fb15ec00181ca85b=new InteractApp();app_617d5174fb15ec00181ca85b.initialize(options);app_617d5174fb15ec00181ca85b.display();}catch(e){}};var scr=d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0],par=scr.parentNode;par.insertBefore(s,scr);})(document,'script'); Want to take another literary quiz? START QUIZ "Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. Countries of the World. "The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.". Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. It was published in 1938. This book by Kurt Vonnegut has an odd subtitle: "or, the Children's Crusade, a Duty-Dance with Death." Watty Piper was a pen name for Arnold Munk. Fashionable Words Vocabulary Quiz A vocab quiz with panache Classic Children's Books Quiz Hope you are very hungry for kids' literature trivia. ", Charles Johnson writes of a man who unwittingly boards a slave ship to avoid a forced marriage in "Middle Passage. "Rebecca" is probably Daphne duMaurier's best-known novel. I believe that the right books can capture your heart and allow you to live life with a sense of wonder. Holden Caulfield narrates "Catcher" as though he's speaking directly to the reader. It was published on January 29, 2015. A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hill-side bank and runs deep and green. Enjoy its brevity - from here on out, there's going to be a LOT of complicated, long sentences and paragraphs about the world of whaling. Which books opens with this line? YouTube star John Green single-handedly changed the course of YA fiction by releasing this realistic, ironic "problem novel" into a market full of vampire and dystopian fantasies. I obviously need it by how I scored on this quiz! Sample Hard Question:All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.".
Angeles National Golf Club Membership Cost, Articles F