Eric Kocher, after another unit reported he and other Marines had been mistreating an Iraqi prisoner, a point hotly disputed by the unit. : Bubbling below the surface is a fundamental difference of perspective between the elite and irreverent Recon Marines and a larger Marine Corps with an allergy to exceptionalism and a need for all Marines to toe a strict line. And worst of all, worst of all, the motherfucker doesn't even carry a weapon. Company Credits He regularly leapt from C-130s to reinforce proper jump techniques. Several more slice through the edges of the door frames. He played the role of Eric Northman a vampire, slightly over one thousand years old, and is first introduced in the first novel, Dead Until Dark, and appears in all subsequent novels. "There is a gravity, there is a sadness, there is a rage that you carry with you forever," he said. 22-23), Colbert sits upright in his Ranger grave, filling his rifle magazines with bullets, peering out at the opaqueness of the desertthe dusty winds blowing past the cammie netsand says, It almost feels like were at the bottom of the ocean., Colberts specialty within the platoon is deep-sea diving.Hes trained to lead his team through miles of ocean and penetrate coastal defenses. Getting bombed, shot at dont phase him a bit. Patrick. Wiry and fair-haired, he makes sarcastic pronouncements in a nasal whine that sounds like comedian David Spade. Wright was an embedded reporter who rode in the backseat of Colbert's vehicle during this time until his departure on May 4, 2003. As kids run up to grab them, Colbert says, Youre welcome.Vote Republican. He gazes at them, now yelling and fighting each other for the humrat packs, and adds, I really thank God I was born American. He assured the leaders that the conversations were not a sign of dissension in the ranks, but rather a "ground-eye view of warfare. HBO cast him as Sergeant Brad 'Iceman' Colbert in David Simon and Ed Burns' 2008 Iraq mini-series "Generation Kill" as well as the ancient Viking vampire sheriff and bar owner Eric Northman. (. Gustaf Skarsgard is a 42 years old Swedish actor known for acting in The Way Back, Evil, and Kon-Tiki. In times like these, Colbert often assumes the tone of a schoolteacher calling a timeout during a frenzied playground scuffle. He also regularly leaps from C-130s to reinforce proper jump techniques. When he spoke with Military.com in July, Colbert, 42, was still on active duty as a project officer for Raids and Amphibious Reconnaissance at Marine Corps Systems Command, the branch of the service responsible for developing and acquiring new gear and equipment. After returning from the battalion headquarters, he sits him down beside the Humvee and says, Trombley, no matter what you might think, or what anybody else might say, you did your job. This is the Youtube channel of Brad "Iceman" Colbert from Generation Kill, the book and HBO mini series written by Rolling Stone journalist Evan Wright. Learn about Clear Films here: https://clearfilms.com/, Director/Director of Photography: Jason Maris Bill Skarsgard is a 32 years old Swedish actor, producer, director, writer, voice actor, and model. But Person seems fine. Were going into the great unknown, he says. Brad has been a speaker on post-combat stress issues for the Heroes and Healthy Families organization, and in this video he discusses his perspective on the difficulties faced when going from Active Duty to Retirement.Brad is an advisor on the film and was Adam's MSgt. He donated several autographed items to Bajen Aid, the clubs fundraising auction. Sgt. "War is stupid. We were not interested in veterans' issues at that time; we were not interested in anything except forgetting," he said. As captured by Rolling Stone reporter Evan Wright in a series of articles that would later spawn a book, "Generation Kill," and an HBO miniseries of the same name, the Marines of Bravo Company, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, find themselves at the front lines of the invasion, improvising ways to fight in unfamiliar terrain and navigating the moral quandaries of combat, under the leadership of junior officers they don't always understand or trust and enlisted leaders seemingly fixated on enforcing the ubiquitous Marine Corps "grooming standard.". 111), Despite his bitter proclamations about women, if you catch Colbert during an unguarded moment, hell admit that he once loved a girl who jilted him, a junior-high-school sweetheart whom he dated on and off for ten years and was even engaged to until she left him to marry one of his closest buddies. Colbert's M4A1 Carbine sports an AN/PVS-17 night sight (sometimes replaced with an ACOG scope), a M203 grenade launcher, UTG rail covers, PAQ-4 laser module, and an ERGO grip in the miniseries. "I popped smoke quick," he said. As the articles came out and began to receive attention from the Marine Corps, Colbert said he was called in to several meetings with service leaders, including Mattis himself, to account for the portrayal. Nicknamed "Iceman" for his competency and cool head, Colbert is an Afghanistan vet who's made the military his career. Speaking of which - one of you guys still has my girlfriend's picture. One kid will cost you three hundred thousand dollars. Everything about him is neat, orderly and crisp, in keeping with his Iceman nickname. War is ugly. Colbert tells me his feelings about the upcoming venture are similar. Further, his brother Valter Skarsgard is a 27 years old actor who has appeared in Details, Lord of Chaos, and Funhouse. As a professional warrior, politics and ideology dont really enter into his thoughts about why he is here in the desert, waiting to invade a country. If a single protagonist emerges in "Generation Kill," it's Sgt. In addition, he starred as Eric Northman in the television series Genuine Blood from 2008 to 2014. . He goes into full Iceman mode, becoming extra calm, alert and focused even when everyones just standing around waiting for another blast. During the past hour or so of shooting, he still seemed excited by the action. "If it was in my power to pull that story back, I wouldn't do that," he said. Daddy's back! : : What can I do here? he asks. We see Brad Colbert at various stages of the team effort that goes into making, decorating, and adorning a paddle for Adam Sorensen as a going away gift for his move to Utah. "[Generation Kill] shows that 19- and 20-year-olds are prosecuting this war, for the most part. Careful with the Rip Fuel. Praise Mary Ella Simmons (DMXs Daughter) Bio, Age, Parents, Siblings, Fathers Death, Millie Bobby Brown Bio, Age, Boyfriend, Films, Net Worth, Tenoch Huerta Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Awards, Movies, and Tv Shows, Dhanush Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Music, Songs, Movies, and Tv Shows, Callan Mulvey Bio, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Accident, and Career. But the value of the series goes far beyond that for him. "What I ask my Marines to do is execute commander's intent. I thought he had no friendshe was such a loner, Espera says. The personalities of the Marines were a bit exaggerated for the screen, and he complains, tongue-in-cheek, that the actor who played him onscreen, James Ransone, was a lot more petite than he is. You wont ever catch Sergeant Brad Colbert, the twenty-eight-year-old commander of the vehicle I ride in, engaging in any moto displays. Oh cute. Alexander Skarsgard is a Swedish actor. Just asked him what he would be if he wasn't a Marine. Sgt. In addition to the embarrassing loss of bodily control that 25 percent of all soldiers experience, other symptoms include time dilation, a sense of time slowing down or speeding up; vividness, a starkly heightened awareness of detail; random thoughts, the mind fixating on unimportant sequences; memory loss; and, of course, your basic feelings of sheer terror. War is death," Person said. Evan 'Scribe' Wright But the Marines of Bravo Company who spoke with Military.com said they remain glad that their story was told, and proud of their service in what would be a long and costly war. I'm on thirty hours no sleep! Josh Ray Person Official Sites Last time I saw her, she was doing all of H & S Company. He has been a speaker on combat related PTSD issues for the Heroes and Healthy Families organization. : Break out the humrats, he says, referring to humanitarian rations. He remains upright, eating. Skarsgrd was born on August 25, 1976, in Stockholm, Sweden. They eat a lot during lulls in firefights. Sgt. Josh Ray Person "Generation Kill" Combat Jack (TV Episode 2008) Alexander Skarsgrd as Sgt. No need to worry. It was his gun that fired. Being the lead vehicle of the company, racing onto an airfield to fight tanks and AAA guns without a heavy weapon is a disaster in the making. "No matter how gritty or politically incorrect, it was real life.". Skarsgrd then returned to Sweden, where he continued to hone his acting skills in films and plays such as Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Bloody Wedding. He also co-wrote and directed the award-winning short film Att dda ett barn (2003), which premiered at the Tribeca and Cannes Film Festivals. Sgt. He is also known for his platoon's role in and perception of the 2003 invasion of Iraq which was featured in a series of articles in Rolling Stone by Evan Wright and later expanded into the book Generation Kill which was turned into a HBO mini series of the same name in which Colbert was portrayed by Alexander Skarsgrd.To help us continue to development content of this nature and support out impact campaign, visit: https://www.documentary.org/project/homemadeLearn more about Homemade here: https://www.homemadethefilm.com/Learn about Clear Films here: https://clearfilms.com/Director/Director of Photography: Jason MarisProducer: Danielle BernstienField sound: Ace HarneyEditor: Stephanie ZinnesSound Design: Andrew OlsonImpact Producer: Tess FennAssociate Producer: Sarah Glenn Boman He is a man of tall stature. He holds sway over the other men not through physical power or personal magnetism but through sheer force of skill, determination and a barely concealed sense of superiority. His mother is a physician. Where other Marines speak of the special bonds of kinship between them, the mystical brotherhood formed in the crucible of shared hardship, Colbert shuns the crowd. Wright was an embedded reporter who rode in the backseat of Colbert's vehicle during this time until his departure on May 4, 2003. Im going to run through that field waving my arms like Im an airplane. Colbert runs through the grass, making jet sounds, banks into a loose turn and flies back to his Humvee. 136), The look on Colberts face is almost serene. Nothing, man, he answers. Their faces go blank. A bullet flies past Colberts head and smacks into the pillar behind Person. Updated. [to Person] He starred in a variety of Swedish productions and rose to fame in his homeland, but he wanted to expand his horizons by working in other countries. : Calmthe fuck down, Fick orders Colbert.ImputtingTeamTwo in front. (. Employment numbers suggest that veterans have taken advantage of a robust economy fueled by the easing of the COVID-19 An investigation into the accident, which happened last August, is ongoing. Sgt. Even so, the windows are open and there are gaps in the shielding. In the next breath, though, he admitted he and Ransone had very similar personalities and that the actor portrayed him pretty well. What the fuck did you do to him? He grew up in an ultramodern 1970s house designed by his father, an architect. Yet, over time, he like many others has concluded the story has significance that goes beyond one unit and their experiences. What the fuck were you doing? Brad 'Iceman' Colbert : If they'd stick around and manned those we'd have been dead before we've even saw. The lattermost earned him several accolades, including a Primetime Emmy Award, a . "Now America is finally waking up.". His successful acting career has enabled him to attain decent possessions. For his efforts during the Iraq War, Colbert received a combat meritorious promotion to Staff Sergeant and went on to serve two years with the Royal Marine Commandos as part of an exchange program. Going LIVE - Taking Questions. Once more into the great good night. Better now, he says, strapping his helmet on again. He has appeared in other films like Melancholia, Battleship, and The Legend of Tarzan. (. I mean, seriously, its something I lose sleep over. (. He was born to his loving parents in Stockholm, Sweden. Sgt. I will be posting videos of various content . I look up to him because the dude is a straight-up warrior. Skarsgard is 46 years old. His father is a 71 years old Swedish actor known for appearing in Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, and Dogville among others. Brad 'Iceman' Colbert After Iraq, the Marines of 'Generation Kill' Regret Nothing, Here's How to Get a 2023 MLB.TV Military Discount, UN Nuclear Head Meets With Iranians Amid Enrichment Concerns, Philippine Governor, 5 Others Killed in Brazen Attack, China: Defense Boost to Meet 'Complex Security Challenges', Air Mobility Command Removes Tail Numbers and Unit Info from Planes, Alarming Watchdogs, All Combat-Injured Vets Would Keep Their Full Retirement, Disability Pay Under Proposal, Better Housing, Health Care, Pay and a Call for National Service Needed to Buoy Recruitment, Enlisted Chiefs Say, 2 Commanders Among 6 Fired from Jobs at Minot Air Force Base, Veterans' Emergency Room Bills Could Get Repaid by VA Thanks to Change, US Army Artillery Officer Dies During Assignment in Thailand, Trading on Patriotism: How Extremist Groups Target and Radicalize Veterans. Filming & Production One of his fondest memories, he later tells me, is that before cocktail parties, his parents would let him prepare the carpet with a special rake. Colbert seems to blossom under extreme duress. After completing Generation Kill (2008), he was cast in the role of "Eric Northman," a 1,000-year-old Viking vampire on the hit series True Blood, thanks to the writer's strike (2008). I think this war has lost its allure for him. After the initial shock of "Generation Kill," most Marines embraced the narrative and its author, Evan Wright. Ever since the shepherd-shooting incident, Colberts demeanor has changed toward civilians, especially children. When he was 19, he applied to perform his national service and served in the Swedish Armed Forces. Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield. I watch him pump in a fresh grenade, and I think, I bet Colberts really happy to be finally shooting a 203 round in combat. Reyes, 44, has made better use of the publicity that came with "Generation Kill" than perhaps anyone else involved with the project. Colbert is decidedly not one of the big ball-scratchers in the platoon. He quickly dons his gear. And at the helm of the entire assault is a familiar figure: Maj. Gen. James Mattis, who called the men of 1st Recon "cocky, obnoxious bastards" and sent them to the front, saying he prized their courage over the armor and gear of better-equipped units. Reply . He is passionate about gadgets: He collects vintage video-game consoles and wears a massive wristwatch that can only properly be configured by plugging it into his PC. Menu. Despite the heat Colbert initially took because of "Generation Kill," he said he has no regrets that the story was told. Wright was an embedded reporter who rode in the backseat of Colbert's vehicle during this time until his departure on May 4, 2003. They attended the 2007 premiere of the show in Burbank, California, together, and it brought them closer, Person said. Three of his brothers Bill, Valter, and Gustaf are actors. Skarsgrd attended Leeds Beckett University and later enrolled in a theater course at Marymount Manhattan University. Is there anything we can do? he asks the corpsman. What it is and how to develop it fully through being Stew Smith and LTC Nick Barringer (USA) PhD in Nutrition / Dietitian / CSCS discuss nutrition for joint health New Year - New Habits! Alexander Skarsgrd (Alexander Johan Hjalmar Skarsgrd) is a Swedish actor best known for his role as Brad Iceman Colbert in the miniseries Generation Kill (2008). Moreover, Skarsgard appeared in the film The Diary of a Teenage Girl. "I was excited, because I wanted to be able to share my experiences with the world, and I had a vehicle to do that. Sgt. They call Colbert "The Iceman. The battalion operations chief runs across the sand, shouting at Colbert, Abandon your Humvee! He orders him to set it on fire with an incendiary grenade, yelling, Thermite the radios! Colbert pounds the roof of his Humvee, screaming, Im not abandoning this vehicle! One of Esperas Marines watching the spectacle from a distance glumly observes, Were going to die because Colberts in love with his Humvee. () Finally, a truck full of Marines from the battalions maintenance unit rolls up. I guess Brad finally slayed his dragon. He enrolled at Leeds Metropolitan University in England for six months. Brad Colbert (born July 25, 1974) is a former active duty United States Marine, whose platoon's role in the 2003 invasion of Iraq was featured in a series of articles in Rolling Stone by Evan Wright. ", Kelly's exposure in the show led to a host of new acting opportunities -- he has since had roles in hit shows including "Fringe," "House of Cards," "Homeland" and "Army Wives," as well as a role as a military officer in the Bradley Cooper blockbuster "American Sniper" -- but it has also given him rare access to military culture through the show's fanbase. He grew up with Gustaf, Sam, Bill, Eija, and Valter, and two half-brothers from his fathers second wife, Megan Everett. You should never have gotten married. Despite the years hes spent on training missions in the water, he confesses to me that the deep sea terrifies him. That's one more layer of bureaucracy and unnecessary logistics, one more asshole we need to supply MREs and baby wipes for. He had a lead role in the fantasy horror drama television series True Blood produced and created by Alan Ball. (. His notable films include Melancholia and The Legend of Tarzan. : All rights reserved. He was raised in Stockholm and is the firstborn son of his father. Brad Colbert, a 28-year-old sergeant during the invasion of Iraq, made a career of the Marine Corps, retiring Oct. 24, 2016, as a master sergeant. The Generation Kill of Kastonvia is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Sgt Brad Iceman Colbert with a fair hand, and renowned for its lack of airports, ubiquitous missile silos, and devotion to social welfare. Additionally, he had a vasectomy, stating that he felt eight children were enough. Colbert briefly uses a regular ACOG sight in the opening drill scene Episode 1 "Get Some". While some officers, such as 1st Lt. Nathaniel Fick, a platoon commander, were generally well-regarded by the junior Marines and noncommissioned officers, others were sometimes regarded as incompetent or unable to handle the stress of combat, and given unflattering nicknames such as "Encino Man" and "Captain America. Wright said he worked to involve as many Marines as possible in the production of the show, with roughly a dozen participating in roles ranging from consulting to background voice work. Brad has been a speaker on post-combat stress issues for the Heroes and Healthy Families organization, and in this video he discusses his perspective on the difficulties faced when going from Active Duty to Retirement. Three of his brothers Bill, Valter, and Gustaf are actors. You do not get there by being a bumbling idiot," Kelly said. Reyes comes across as a mixture of Bruce Lee and zen master on screen, and he has a meditative way of speaking that can contrast startlingly with his frank discussion of war. Josh Ray Person "It was raw and real; it showed the confusion. This interview is with Retired USMC Master Sergeant Brad "Ice Man" Colbert. Colbert takes the infant, kneels down and rocks him. Skarsgard had his breakthrough as he portrayed vampire Eric Northman in the television series True Blood from 2008 to 2014. Josh Ray Person, a whip-smart 22-year-old with a quick response to everything and a penchant for energy drinks and caffeine. Hes slouched over the wheel, looking through the windshield, an almost blank expression on his face. He has also starred alongside Brit Marling and Elliot Page in Zal Batmanglijs 2013 film The East. On the morning theU.S. Coast GuardinAstoriareceived a mayday call froma yacht sinkingnear the mouth of theColumbia Copyright 2023 Military.com. "Wiry and fair-haired, he makes sarcastic pronouncements in a nasal whine that sounds like comedian David Spade. at Fort Benning. My worry is hell get shot or freak out and well be stuck on this street. Marines tear into their MREs. ", He did lose some friends, and said he experienced some ostracism within the close-knit reconnaissance community as a result of the unvarnished account. Colbert informs the Marines flattened in the dirt that the thunking was unmistakably the sound of Marine Bushmaster weapons. That's my fucking dream! Carisalez, a salty-mouthed Marine who freely criticizes the Marine Corps and the war throughout the deployment, was informed after his return that he too could face administrative punishment for his comments. His back is tattooed in a garish wash of color depicting a Louis Royo illustration of a warrior princess babe from Heavy Metal magazine. Cpl. : : While his brother Marines cavort and laugh around him, Colbert says, I would never socialize with any of these people if we werent in the Marines. (. During mountain warfare training, hes legendary for having ascended the final thousand meters of Mt. Oh my god, he wants to be a ballerina? Im looking around for the goalposts when Trombley grabs my shoulder. Movies. ", Now he's an envelope-pushing stand-up comedian in Los Angeles who performs five to seven nights a week, he said. Brad 'Iceman' Colbert played by Alexander Skarsgard on the HBO original program Generation Kill - Official Website for the HBO Series . The bleeding, the corpsman believes, is a result of dehydration. Fuck it, Colbert says. Brad has been a speaker on post-combat stress issues for the Heroes and Healthy Families organization, and in this video he discusses his perspective on the difficulties faced when going from Active Duty to Retirement. When we pass more farmers on the road, he pulls the barrel of his M-4 up, so as not to point it directly at them. On the other side of the spectrum is Walt Hasser, a good-natured Humvee MK-19 grenade launcher gunner who spent three more years in the Marine Corps following the 2003 deployment, leaving the service as a sergeant. The issue of extremist groups has gained attention after the riot on Jan. 6 aimed at preventing the peaceful transfer of the Veterans who have had a head injury are at higher risk for suicide, but these deaths can be prevented, experts say. They did not paint things [subtly] in that black-and-white TV world. Skarsgard gained fame in the US film comedy Zoolander and then played Marine Brad Colbert in the miniseries Generation Kill. What? I turn around, looking for the ocean, then hear Colbert repeating, Were in a goddamn sabka field. I think hes saying soccer field. I cant believe Iraqis would play on sand like this. Brad 'Iceman' Colbert He breathes deeply, as if struggling to put his emotions aside. 260), Colbert comes over to help. Colbert was adopted into a Jewish family. Suddenly, he stands up, throwing his helmet down, ripping off his flak vest and stripping down to his T-shirt. He's not an enthusiastic fan of "Generation Kill," but he said it accurately captured "how foul-mouthed and dirty we were. Josh Ray Person We're out here, 40 klicks in enemy lines, and this man of God here, he's a fuckin' POG. Brad 'Iceman' Colbert For Colbert, his confidence in the project was bolstered when Wright approached him to ask his blessing to turn the three-article Rolling Stone series into a book. As far as Reyes is concerned, he owes no debt to the show for the exposure it afforded him. After six months, he returned to Stockholm but studied theatre as he confirmed he wanted to act. View more newsletters on our Subscriptions page. : Cpl. When he sees them now, hes prone to uninhibited displays of sentimentality. The Air Force and Space Force still don't have a sense of how much damage has been caused to the environment on Haleakala. That was a wounding shot, motherfucker! Colbert yells, uncharacteristically pissed. Brad is an advisor on the film and was Adam's MSgt. Sgt. Im not so idealistic that I subscribe to good versus evil. 168). When confronted with these small human tragedies up close, some Marines shut down.
Countries That Accept Ged, Leighton James Musician Age, Articles B