For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Unit 10 is approximately 51 percent private land, 30 percent state land, and 8 percent National Forest Service, with the remainder being National Park and Indian reservation that is not open to hunting. From the North: State Hwy 64 I got off the road alot in unit 10 3 years ago. The deadline for elk applications in Arizona is mid-February. Great unit but can be really tough hunt. Arizona is home to some of the best late rifle elk hunting in the country. Thanks for the input and hopefully I will have a story to tell in about 5 months, not that I am counting. An archery-only hunt in the fall is available with an over-the-counter permit tag. I have several friends who hunt az as non residents.. they all say that as a rule, the Arizona resident elk hunters aren't the varsity team of elk hunters.. Unit 10 is close to us and we love the country there. The problem lies in units with topography like 8 and 27 that leaves elk vulnerable to being spotted in big canyons and long-range rifles can pick them off at 800+ yards. Toprut says 10 will do it but no luck last year. I've been hunting deer for 15 + years and elk for the past 5 years in Colorado. Unit 10 - Arizona Species Information Antelope Overview: If you want to hunt a record-book antelope, this is the place. I told her it doesn't quite work that way, especially in December, but after insisting I gave it a try (cow calls) and sure enough called in a herd of cows where she proceeded to take a very large one. varnco, September 11, 2018 in Elk Hunting, My buddy and I went up scouting Unit 10 (Bo Ranch) this past weekend, as we have the first Cow Elk Rifle in Mid October. 22N is a great unit and there are a lot of Elk there. Overview: Unit 10 is not a hot javelina unit, but the population has been growing. We also offer guaranteed landowner tag hunts in New Mexico for hunters that do not want to wait years to draw a tag. Vary your use of different calls and calling sounds to keep the elk on edge. Good exercise for them, plus I want his boy to see what we are getting into. I drew it this year and when I started researching, thats almost all I've been reading. When a bull is worked up, almost any call will get his attention. If you have any questions regarding the. A map with designated open roads can be found at the sign-in boxes at the access points of the ranch. Please hunt responsibly, obey all signage and have a safe legal hunt. Call us at (602)705-4297 and book your hunt with the best trophy hunting providers in Arizona now! Several ranches in Unit 10 are already closed to public access. Bulls prefer different habitat types during the late season tending toward secluded, isolated, and topographically rugged locations and many of the biggest bulls live in places where they cannot be reasonably hunted. Beginning at the junction of AZ Hwy 64 and I-40; westerly on I-40 to Crookton Rd. What exactly you are looking for when it comes to an elk hunt is Arizona? 1579 N Main Street Ste 100 Arizona Elk Outfitters LLC has a tremendous amount of resources at our disposal to help you harvest your very own world-class bull elk in Arizonas world-famous Unit 10 this elk season. Unit 10 is nothing but a glassing unit. Because all the units, from 5A to 10 are. 100% w/ 10 pts: 10 - Late Rifle: 360"+ 36%: 100% w/ 8 pts: 86% w/ 12 pts: 19A - Late Rifle: 310 . While there is always a punchers chance at turning up a giant in the rest of the units throughout Arizona, most have been slowly digressing in quality and 340"+ bulls are becoming very hard to find. These hunts can be a nonstop adrenaline rush with screaming bulls and encounters with giants. Unit 10 elk still respond to calling and this method of hunting can be as exciting as it gets. The only other area where turkeys are located in Unit 10 is in the Ponderosa pine country on the north half of the Aubrey Cliffs north of Pica Camp. Good exercise for them, plus I want his boy to see what we are getting into. As a result, there is no contract in place at this time. The central part of Unit 10 from Mount Floyd north to Long Point, the Bishop Lake Plateau, the Aubrey Cliffs, Robbers Roost, and Cataract Canyon all hold huntable populations. 2022 tag numbers for Arizona Unit 6A elk Archery cow - 25 tags Archery bull - 700 tags Late archery bull - 50 tags Rifle (general ) cow - 350 tags Rifle (general) Bull - 750 tags Late archery Late muzzleloader - 325 tags (bull) Late muzzleloader - 75 tags (cow) Unit 6A Scouting Packages and Downloads Scouting Packages Dude Ranches, Horse Riding and Pack Trips. For many new hunters, getting in the field is often the highest consideration. If the hunter makes a mistake, please report it to the Department. The exception to this practice is the units that are managed as Alternative Management Units, 1, 9, 10, and 23. What elk units should I apply for? Waterhole hunting from blinds or good hiding places can be a good method of hunting elk in the warmer times of the year. For non-residents most of the tags worth hunting will range from 7 to 12 bonus points. Nov 19, 2013. Heading up to unit 10 myself for the late rifle hunt - managed to draw a bull tag, but by the sounds of it I'm not so sure that too many bulls will be available. Montana Bear Hunts. If you draw, outfitted hunts are surprisingly affordable in Arizona when compared to other places that have guaranteed tags. . Find tanks and look for tracks. Glassing, spotting-and-stalking, still hunting, and sitting on water are all popular and effective ways to pursue mule deer here. Even as a resident of the state of Arizona it can take anywhere from 11 to 24 bonus points to get a tag. If you plan on hunting with us, check out our blog series of unit breakdowns labeled ", Not all elk units are created equal. Treat all land entered as if it were your own. A lot of everything. There's some of the Kaibab National Forest in unit 10. The Coconino Plateau holds a good population of elk right out in the open antelope country far from the trees. Sep 10, 2013 #2 That unfortunately is a very difficult hunt to kill a nice bull. The late hunts also proved that with good feed and ample water to spread the elk populations out, busted up racks were at a minimum this year. Driftwood Canyon, Disquiba Canyon, and the main stem of Cataract Canyon itself as far south as the area around the Carlson Pothole catchment are the best locations. They are easy to see on google earth. Early-season hunting is usually done during warm weather. I have checked out the ranch already and been scouting a couple of times (literally directly north of Seligman) seen a few bulls but I am being told that come November 28th things will change. Although this has not been updated recently this is what you can expect in AZ. In 2022, it will offer a rifle hunt and not a muzzleloader hunt. Therefore, permits have been cut drastically. Most of the hunts we suggest people apply for are early archery and late rifle hunts. Areas: The Kaibab National Forest portion of Unit 10 is a good location to hunt elk. Many late season Arizona bull elk hunts for residents can be drawn with 6 to 11 bonus points. The Bishop Lake Plateau, the Aubrey Valley, Red Lake, and the Williams corner have all produced a number of big bucks. Several of our professional Arizona elk guides have lived within minutes of unit 10 for decades and you can rest assured that Arizona Elk Outfitters LLC will provide you with one of the finest opportunities for harvesting a world-class trophy elk in Unit 10. Since I am in Ohio and my brother lives in Arizona, all the scouting is going to be done by him and his son. M. All hunts are draw only, and every unit is managed for trophy elk. The Grand Canyon and Cataract Canyon form the units truly spectacular northern and northeastern boundaries. Hunters should be . What is a "sanctuary" area when there are nodeep canyons? Sometimes I see them all day and then sometimes it takes days to see one. I can let you know what I find. The big differences in bonus points and trophy quality from unit to unit, and the differences in units from archery season to rifle season where the bulls live.Thank you for watching! Our number 3 choice: Arizona Hunt Unit 23. DRAW ODDS . There is only one hill in the area to spot from, so I would spend some time learning where the bulls are by picking areas and looking for elk. Elk trophy quality is not always a major concern. The map can be purchased at any Arizona Game and Fish Department Office. Cataract Lake and Kaibab Lake campgrounds, near Williams, managed by the U.S. Forest Service (928-635-2633). Scouting and heavy-duty glassing are the methods to find big bucks. There are a lot of elk in this unit. More bear sign is observed during or immediately following severe drought periods. Never leave home without your lion tag; sooner or later you will run into one. Many bulls have broken racks following the frenzy of the rut. There is a small permanent population of desert bighorn in the Cataract Canyon area. Sheep do use the entire canyon area and have been observed all the way south to the Box K area. to Airpark Rd. Brief Description of Terrain, Elevation, and Vegetation. How long are you willing to wait for a tag? Cataract Lake Campground near Williams, managed by Coconino County Parks and Recreation (928-774-5139). Experience also makes much more difficult hunts a more reasonable option. What is your experience level with hunting elk? Cattle grazing and overhunting the sub-species led to its demise in the early part of the 20th century. Arizona Hunting Season Dates 2021-2022 Arizona Deer Season 2022-2023 Arizona Elk Season 2022-2023 General Elk season starts as early as Sept. Use our insider connections to know where to go and what to do. Our Arizona elk hunts are no exception. Thanks for the input and hopefully I will have a story to tell in about 5 months, not that I am counting. Neither are all elk hunts within that unit. The next rung up the ladder and a drastic increase in quality are late season "general" rifle bull elk hunts. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Is it possible that bugling is running late due to the hit, so it may run longer into October, or is that just wishful thinking? EMAIL US: ARIZONAELKOUTFITTERS@GMAIL.COM 928-300-6755 - TRAVIS MCCLENDON VIEW OUR ARIZONA ELK PICTURES BELOW If trophy quality and hunting the iconic top tiered units with a firearm is your goal, the only option is to wait. Rifle hunters have more of an advantage, but one still needs to get close enough for a good shot before the elk feed into cover. The late seasons can be difficult hunts for obvious reasons, like weather and isolated bulls being harder to locate, but they offer significantly better draw odds to allow hunters to still be in a unit with quality animals. But we're focusing on that side, as we understand there are elk there and likely less hunters (I've been told the further west and north you go, the less hunters [williams area will be slammed]). My go-to initial response is "it depends." Overview: Black bears are not common in Unit 10, but they do either live here or travel through on a regular basis. All of these units have the potential to produce magnum size bulls. Thanks for the pointers so far. Looks like you and I will be sharing the same trails this December. Then drive another mile up and glass. Research the latest Arizona Elk Hunting Draw Odds and Harvest Data for Unit 10. You may be more likely to get quick replies if you post there? Shadows under pinion and junipers? The time of year these hunts occur is post-rut in mid November. Carey, are you by chance also on CouesWhitetail's forums? Home Forums Hunting & Shooting Elk Hunting Arizona Unit 10 late rifle: Forums Member List Calendar Active Threads: Previous Thread: Next Thread : Print Thread: Hop To : Page 1 of 2 : 1: 2: Arizona Unit 10 late rifle #8811472 04/26/14. (AZ Hwy 66, Exit 139); westerly on AZ Hwy 66 to the Hualapai Indian Reservation boundary; northeasterly along the reservation boundary to Grand Canyon National Park; east along the park boundary to the Havasupai Indian Reservation; easterly and southerly along the reservation boundary to where Cataract Creek enters the reservation; southeasterly along Cataract Creek in Cataract Canyon to Island Tank; easterly on the Cataract Creek-Valle Rd. There are a lot of road hunters in that unit with a lot of tags and cold weather. If you are at the upper end of these point ranges always consider changing your draw strategy to a higher quality hunt choice, such as early archery. Colorado Unit 61 Elk Hunts. It is a big Unit. Care to join me for an hour and call one in for me on day 1? Using a rifle and having a high success rate are the two most compelling factors for applying for a late rifle hunt. Typically by that time they're done. Maps for Montana Bear Hunting Districts Select a hunting unit from the dropdown menu or click a unit on the map below.
Who Is Robin In Sixteen Candles, Salt Water Made My Toothache Worse, Lorraine Hansberry Facts, Cm Smell Before Bfp, Articles A