Brandeis University's Bioinspired Soft Materials Center REU Program
The Brandeis Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) announces its "Bioinspired Soft Materials” Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program for summer 2021. The REU is a summer research program that will fund undergraduate students assigned to MRSEC laboratories.
What the MRSEC REU Offers
- 10 weeks of hands-on research in a Brandeis MRSEC laboratory
- $5,000 stipend per student
- Free housing & allowances for meals and travel
- Grad school preparation, faculty mentoring, professional development and social engagement with other students on campus
- Poster presentation at the end of the summer at the Annual Brandeis SciFest Celebration.
Eligibility to Apply
- Must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program (biology, chemistry, physics, materials science, bio-engineering, computer science, and related fields). Students from community colleges are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Students from underrepresented minority groups, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application and Program Timeline
- The application opens in September
- 11:59 PM EST Monday, February 1, 2021: ALL application components must be submitted in order to be considered for selection to the 2021 MRSEC REU cohort. Your application will not be considered if it is missing any required application components.
- We will start to review and consider applications before this date (rolling application) so the earlier you complete your application the better!
- Late February 2021: Acceptance notifications
- Late May/early June - end of July/early August: 10 weeks of REU experience at Brandeis University
How to Apply - Applications Now Open
You will need to complete an online application.
- Background/identifying information
- Academic information
- Transcript (we will accept unofficial transcripts)
- Responses to the two essay prompts below. Please note that your responses need to be copied into the online application submission form and that each essay should be ~2-4 paragraphs in length.
- Please describe your previous research experience and correlate this previous research work to the theme of the Brandeis Materials Research Science and Engineering Center. Be sure to include the institution name(s), lab/PI name(s) and dates for each former experience.
- State how participation in the MRSEC REU program will benefit your future academic and professional careers.
- Recommendation letters from two faculty members that are in a PDF format
Please note that it is the applicants' responsibility to request reference letters from faculty members, and to follow up with their references to ensure the submission of recommendation letters to the MRSEC by no later than 11:59 PM EST Monday, February 1, 2021.
TIP: References can prepare recommendation letters before an application is complete. Applicants intending to apply to the MRSEC REU should request recommendation letters from their references as soon as possible to allow references adequate time to prepare strong recommendation letters.
- How many students are selected to participate?
- There are 6-8 REU students in a summer cohort.
- Can a TA write my recommendation letter for MRSEC REU?
- Applicants are free to ask whomever they feel would provide the best support as to why they are strong contenders to participate in REU. However, it is best practice to connect with your professor/PI first.
Education Program Type:
Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)