Formerly called the Chemistry Facility
seshadri [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu (Professor Ram Seshadri)
amanda [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu (Amanda Strom)
The MRL TEMPO Laboratory has advanced instrumentation for the characterization of materials and chemical samples. We offer an extremely wide range of instrumentation for Thermal, Electronic/Elemental, Magnetic, Porosity, and Optical measurements.
This instrumentation is available to users from UCSB, other Universities, and Industry.
Training is available. We are now offering a testing service.
We have instrumentation for measuring the:
Thermal Properties of Samples
- High Temp XRD
Electronic & Magnetic Properties of Samples
- DynaCool PPMS
Elemental, Phase, & Evolved Gas Composition of Samples
- MS Accessory for TGA
Optical Properties of Samples
- UV-Vis-NIR Spectrometer
- Olympus BX41 Fluorescence Microscope
Porosity, Surface Area, & Density of Samples
- TriStar BET Porosimeter
All instruments are available for responsible users to test their own samples. Training is offered quarterly for the more complex instruments and users may self train on the other instruments any time. There are specific insurance and liability requirements for off-campus facility users. They are described at this link: Non-UCSB Use of MRL Facilities
All people working in the TEMPO lab are required to follow good practice and to have already attended the UCSB EH&S Laboratory Safety Training.
Contact amanda [at] mrl [dot] ucsb [dot] edu (Amanda Strom) or 805-893-7925 for more information.
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter
- DynaCool PPMS
- High Temperature Powder XRD
- Horiba FluoroMax 4 spectrometer
- Inductively Coupled Plasma
- METTLER TGA/sDTA851e ThermoGravimetric Analyzer With Blazers ThermoStar 300 AMU Mass Spectrometer
- Micromeritics AccuPyc 1340 Pycnometer
- MicroMeritics TriStar Porosimeter
- Physical Properties Measurement System
- Quantum Design MPMS 5XL SQUID Magnetometer
- Shimadzu UV3600 UV-Nir-NIR Spectrometer
- The Olympus BX41 Fluorescence Microscope
- Thermogravimetric Analyzer
- Thermogravimetric Analyzer Mass Spectrometer